PDA

View Full Version : Dollar General

squeezebox
12-31-2013, 17:56
What do you buy from dollar general on the trail? About the only thing I've ever bought there is laundry soap.

kayak karl
12-31-2013, 18:01
food, snacks, TP, first aid, office supplies, postcards, batteries, zip-locks, etc. i've never bought laundry soap.

FarmerChef
12-31-2013, 18:02
Dollar general is my go to resupply spot when available. They have hiker friendly supplies like cheeses, crackers, tortillas, pasta/rice sides, mac and cheese, peanut butter, sometimes pouch tuna or chicken, etc. I've done almost complete resupplies there (except that I dehydrate my own proteins and add them in).

bigcranky
12-31-2013, 18:04
I could do a complete week-long resupply at the DG's I've been in. Easy.

RED-DOG
12-31-2013, 18:04
Their CHEAP, and they are loaded with the types of food hikers eat on the trail, you can spend like 20 bucks at Dollar general or family dollar and get a FULL 5 day resupply or more, you would spend DOUBLE that at a regular grocery store, plus Dollar general or family dollar is more Convient, regular grocery stores are useally farther from the trail.

twilight
12-31-2013, 18:12
I shop at Dollar General for my section hikes for many of the things already mentioned. Found a 2.00 cooling rack there that I was able to cut up for a light weight grill for over the fire pit. Good also for hand sanitizer, travel toothpaste, Vitamin I, Glucosamine/chondroitin.

Twilight

RED-DOG
12-31-2013, 19:45
Bro next time you are close to one go in and Check them out, it's well worth the look.

moocow
12-31-2013, 20:55
Pasta sides, and cosmic brownies, tp, jerky, cheese, water flavor packets off the top of my head.

Old Hiker
01-01-2014, 01:22
I was leery about the "off-brand" or "store-brand" names, but I found out they were just as good as any other. I just made sure the food wasn't a product of China. My paranoia, my quirk.

ChinMusic
01-01-2014, 01:36
Any place with "Dollar" in the name is a great resupply point.

johnnybgood
01-01-2014, 01:56
Dollar Tree ---everything is a buck.

Rain Man
01-01-2014, 11:15
I got a really cheap ($5), brand-name (Hanes?), blaze orange t-shirt at Dollar General. It was 50/50 polyester/cotton. Great for hunting season.

Also, they carry Glad brand zip-lock bags, which are hard/impossible to find in the regular grocery stores I shop at.

Rain:sunMan

ryanwflynn
01-01-2014, 11:59
If you are thru hiking, you will definitely resupply at Dollar General stores. You will actually miss them in New England!

JansportD2
01-01-2014, 12:09
Dollar General is great for resupply. Some small towns like Glasgow, VA don't have traditional supermarkets but usually have a Dollar General or Family Dollar.

ryanwflynn
01-01-2014, 12:11
Add Content

ryanwflynn
01-01-2014, 12:11
Oh Glasgow! I was there for the Derecho! Nice town and shelter!

coheterojo
01-01-2014, 14:16
Sometimes they're the best option. Hot Springs for example. Glascow for sure. Damascus for sheer convenience. I used to look down upon Dollar General but the cast has been lifted from my eyes.

takethisbread
01-01-2014, 15:51
-the individual 12 pack drink mixes for like $1 orange crush, grape crush, ect that spice up the water situation esp if u use bleach.
-pbj and tortillas since I'm stove less pretty key
-usually have deals on snickers
-hot dogs
- cokes
-duct tape.
-pop tarts
dollar General is as good as it gets in the southern Appalachians

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ChinMusic
01-01-2014, 16:33
It took me a few weeks to realize that I got more from one of those "Dollar" stores than I did from a grocercy store. The sizes of the items were perfect with the grocery store's being too large.

Dogwood
01-01-2014, 17:13
ziplocs, salmon/tuna packets, sardines/clams/mussels(sometimes in pouches), Lipton/Knorrs rice/noodle sides, Annie Chungs seaweed snacks, French Onion SUN CHIPS(corn chips), nuts(pistachios, almonds, walnuts, Spanish peanuts, cashews, etc), sunflower/pumpkin seeds, blocks of cheese, tortillas, single serving size frozen bags of shrimp(used for the same night's trail dinner), spices, 4 oz bottles of Pompei Olive Oil (EVOO, usually transferred to a plastic screw cap bottle which can also often be bought at the same store), the rare piece of better dark chocolate that may be there

drifter
01-02-2014, 17:27
+1 on all the above, don't typically shop there when home - but really no excuse not to - lots of good choices, oatmeal, cheese,zip locks etc.

Dogwood
01-02-2014, 19:07
When going fishing at Dollar General it's like any other store, from walmart to Whole Foods, from Sierra Trading post to Sports Authority, bring your chest waders because there's lots of shart in the pond.

MuddyWaters
01-02-2014, 19:43
shop at a dollar general near me all the time.
Its more like a small grocery store, its not a dollar store anymore
I wouldnt say the prices are remarkable or anything

I get some good deals at Dollar Tree, they are a real dollar store.
1$ packs of Hormel pepperoni and small packs of Jif PB come to mind.

importman77
01-02-2014, 21:26
Not trying to hijack your thread but I wanted to mention this. If you ever need a liquid cleaner that REALLY works, try Simply Awesome at Dollar General. I had tried (almost) everything to get the black streaks off my rv, (including the black streak remover at Camping World) without killing myself when I learned about this. With Simply Awesome I just sprayed a little on and the streaks started running off. No scrubbing, just a little wipe with a sponge. It works like magic. I know this isn't trail related but I thought it could be helpful to some.

Blissful
01-02-2014, 21:30
It depends on the store. Some are stocked better than others (like some have refrigerated items like cheese while others do not). Mostly I get junk there, esp junk I can eat while in town.

Cosmo
01-03-2014, 16:38
If you are thru hiking, you will definitely resupply at Dollar General stores. You will actually miss them in New England!

Au Contraire. One just opened in Williamstown (2.1mW--according to Google). Others further from the Trail are opening in Lanesborough, Pittsfield, and Sheffield MA. There's also one in Pownal, VT. They are pretty darn ugly, but as others have said, they have a wide variety of cheap stuff.

Cosmo

rocketsocks
01-03-2014, 17:16
Poptarts, Mike and Ikes, Twizzlers, Peanut M&M's and Burnt Peanuts...love them freakin things. I also bought a mini camera stand for a buck...still goin strong.

Astro
01-03-2014, 22:17
Au Contraire. One just opened in Williamstown (2.1mW--according to Google). Others further from the Trail are opening in Lanesborough, Pittsfield, and Sheffield MA. There's also one in Pownal, VT. They are pretty darn ugly, but as others have said, they have a wide variety of cheap stuff.

Cosmo

Fasted growing store chain. Wal-Mart's biggest challenge now along with Amazon (two very different types of businesses).