PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing a backpack

Gabby Pulsinelli
12-31-2013, 18:33
Hi everyone!

So I am just getting into hiking and I am looking into getting a good backpack that I can use for 5-7 days. My first major hike will be this summer on the AT.

Does anyone have suggestions for where to buy from or specific models?

Thanks,
Gabby

RED-DOG
12-31-2013, 19:32
The best way to find,choose a back pack is to go in to a outdoor store that way you can ask the sales man questions look at the different models and sizes, touch them, put some weight in them and carry it around ( try several different models and sizes ), never buy a pack from a Catalogue, the one i used on my thru in 2012 is the Mountain hardwear, Direttssima 46, very comfortable, fits me like a glove, can't say enough good things about it. but like i said you have to try SEVERAL different models and sizes, and:welcome to WB. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY HIKING. RED-DOG

rangeley
12-31-2013, 19:37
Hey Gabby I've use an Osprey Atmos 50 and a ULA Circuit. The Osprey was great, totally bombproof and comfortable as all get out. They sell a woman specific version called the Aura. Osprey also has a lot of other pack lines which might be worth checking out. I'm sure they're all the same awesome quality. The ULA Circuit is also a great pack! I haven't had it long, but it seems to be bombproof, and is nice and light. I like the design with the big mesh pocket, and the readily accessible water bottle pocket. I picked up the Circuit, because I wanted another pack with more volume, and I wanted to support an American company. ULA has some other packs, both bigger and smaller to check out.
These are the only packs I have experience with, and I wish you well on your future backpacking shenanigans

Coffee
12-31-2013, 20:25
I have the ULA Circuit and it has been great. I've used it mostly at weights in the low-mid 20s but it is comfortable up to 30 and manageable even at 33-35 for limited periods. I would recommend looking at the ULA line of packs although it is hard to find the packs at retailers. But ULA is great to work with and will accept returns of unused packs. When I ordered my Circuit, I actually ordered two different sizes and returned the one that didn't fit as well.

I just ordered a ULA CDT for a walking trip to Switzerland next summer that will require very light loads since I won't be carrying camping gear, just clothing on that trip. I'm pretty excited about also using the CDT for local trips. Good luck with your pack search!

MuddyWaters
12-31-2013, 23:20
The right pack for you , will depend on your other gear, as well as your hiking style.

You want a pack that just fits your gear and food, and is not oversized.
You want a pack that will carry the weight that YOU intend to carry.
You want a pack that fits you well

So, the conventional wisdom is that you should purchase your pack last, and that is generally good advice.

You dont want to try to carry 40lbs in a lightweight pack.

johnnybgood
01-01-2014, 02:28
You need to actually go get fitted at an outfitters.
Put weight in the packs (or actual gear) and shoulder the pack.
You need a pack that is comfortable fully loaded with gear.

As previously mentioned, take note of the pack's weight restrictions.

Trailweaver
01-01-2014, 03:13
It really is like buying a pair of shoes. If you don't go try it on and get the right size, you are going to have a miserable time backpacking - it'll rub your shoulders, or hips, or make your back ache like crazy. Also, if you don't get one you like, you'll curse every time you try to say, unzip that compartment that has your flashlight and the zipper snags, or it hasn't got the right pocket for your snacks or it's too small for your sleeping bag it fit just right.

Your backpack has to be something you love - find an outfitter (not a large box "gear" store) who knows how to fit your backpack to your body. Look at a lot of them. Buy your gear first, because you have to be able to get it all in your pack. Then go get the pack that fits the best (on you) and stuff your gear into it. Take your gear to the store to make sure it works. Don't buy the biggest one you can find, either - you'll hate it if you do. Then go hike.

Ercoupe
01-01-2014, 09:15
A ventilated back, somewhere to store camelback on side or on top to avoid tearing pack apart. Osprey makes several models. Remember not only gear, but water and food weight.

I suggest a substantial well fitting waist belt, most likely you will not be ultralight to start.

Have you looked at rentals? EMS in Rochester may have what you need.

I use a cut down Kelty external frame(garage sale), with a gossamer gear G4 attached. Ventilation with large spandex pockets. Perfect for me, when I am carrying large water and food loads. 3 lbs. and $120.

Blissful
01-01-2014, 21:54
Get your gear assembled first. Then look for a backpack.

DaBrownie
01-03-2014, 23:21
For a first pack, you don't need a personal fitting session at an outfitter and you don't need a trendy brand. Get a simple, low cost, external frame pack. Just like the ones the boy scouts use. They're more adjustable, more rugged, more versatile, and more comfortable. Think about it: thousands of 11-14 year old kids do perfectly well carrying 15-40 pounds for a week in cheap packs their parents buy online. Does it really make sense that you NEED a personal fitting? Oh, and when you tie your wet tent and rain gear to the outside of your pack instead of jamming into the same silnylon tube as your jammies and bag, you'll be lovin' life.

nickgann
01-04-2014, 00:26
It's all so relative. When I first started I wanted pockets and space, but as time has gone on...Simple and compact is how I do things.

The biggest pack i own is a Vaude 60L which rarely gets used and most of the time just use it so it doesnt sit around or loan it to friends for hikes. My favorite pack(which i also use for deep winter hiking long distance) is a Boreas Lost Coast 45. Love the simplicity and how it sort of requires you plan your packing carefully. But as I said, it's all so relative.

q-tip
01-04-2014, 10:15
Try a Granite Gear Crown VC-2 lbs. 2 oz. - 60 L-My go-to pack....

jdc5294
01-04-2014, 10:47
I went in 2012 so I'm not sure what the great pack is these days, but when I went I listened to the gossip and after trying it on went for the granite gear blaze ac60. I think I'll use that thing the rest of my life and just stock up on as many replacement frames as they'll send me.

Gabby Pulsinelli
01-05-2014, 16:54
Thanks Everyone!