PDA

View Full Version : Removing that smell from synthetics

amac
12-31-2013, 18:40
A buddy of mine worked at car dealerships. Over his time he picked up a device the dealerships use to remove odors from used cars. He had it set up recently on one of the rooms in his house. I asked if I could borrow it to use on some of my rooms. When setting it up I had the idea to hang some of my synthetic hiking clothes that have acquired 'that smell'. It worked pretty well. These devices are pretty costly. Something check out when you just want to surf the net. The device is an ozonator. It simply generates ozone gas. I look forward to responses form the community explaining how to build/buy one on the cheap.

Here is the site for the producers of the one I used: http://www.jenesco.com/

gumball
12-31-2013, 19:15
After awhile, we just throw them out. The smell never really goes away.

gollwoods
12-31-2013, 19:16
they make one for refrigerators, cheap but it might work if you put it in a tote or something with the clothes

MuddyWaters
12-31-2013, 19:59
I dont know how well it would work on clothing, but you can get all kinds, including small cheap low output ones.
Good high output ones for rooms in a house , etc may cost $700 or more. But they work, and are worth it for some things. You can rent at tool rental places sometimes. Ive done that to treat cars and boats Ive purchased. Not cheap, rental costs are usually 1/15 to 1/7 of purchase cost, per day.

Gets rid of odors on things you cant clean or wash totally.
However, the ozone attacks and degrades rubber things. Latex paint will turn darker with prolonged exposure, rubber will get brittle and could crack with too much ozone exposure.

Del Q
12-31-2013, 20:02
I think that I read about it here on WB, white vinegar, use a few cap full's, wash clothes 2x when I get back, does a great job.

Stopped wearing synthetics a few years ago, merino wool now 100% of the time, tons better in all temperatures.

Dogwood
12-31-2013, 20:07
Amac, you taught me something today. THX.

RF_ace
12-31-2013, 20:40
just wash them in distilled vinegar and scentless detergent, works

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2014, 00:38
Ozone is not to be fooled with, it can put you in the hospital if you breath too much of it. Yes it does work. No you cannot build one, its basically a Telsa Coil and a high energy device- same thing that was connected to the back of all tube televisions.. (red wire) Telsa coils and charged devices like microwave and radar devices are incredibly dangerous.

Now lets talk how to inexpensively solve what ever the problem is up to a dead rat or squirrel in the house.

At $5 OZIUM CAN http://www.amazon.com/Glycol-Ized-Professional-Sanitizer-Freshener-Original/dp/B000FEPW40

its OZONE in a can... most important... you "spritz" not spray! you may be able to pick up this up in a car supply store. I operate far larger machines for removing the smell of curry inside a house, before it goes up for sale, or a dead animal that cannot be retrieved.

Trailweaver
01-01-2014, 03:28
There is a product available around boating or diving shops called "sink the stink" that is a super concentrated soap used to clean diving gear. I've used it on my kayaking gear (PFD and clothes), and it's good to get out almost any odor. You mix a bit in the water and soak a while - may take more than one soaking, but it works. I think you can also get it from Amazon.

On non-washables, you can put the item in an enclosed container (plastic tub or large garbage bag) and close it up for a week or so with an appropriate amt of cat litter (the clay kind). It absorbs the odor. You could also use activated charcoal (found at pet stores - used in aquarium filters) to do the same thing. It may take more than one application/week.

Offshore
01-01-2014, 07:19
No need to spend a ton of money or buy new gear. The key is to remove the detergent and softener residue that builds up on the synthetic yarns. This will eliminate the odor and return the "performance". Use a specialized sport detergent such as ProWash or Win. (Look for them on Amazon or at a running specialty store.) Also, never use liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets, and use a low setting on the dryer or better yet, hang them on the line to dry.

I had a bunch of Nike DriFit shirts that I wear to the gym. After a while, they would come out of the laundry smelling fine but as soon as they warmed up due to body heat, I became "that guy". I washed them in ProWash, using the soak option on the first wash, and there was no more odor.

pipsissewa
01-01-2014, 07:21
All of the above are good suggestions. White vinegar (given time) will take out most any smell if the item is washable. Once the item is rinsed well, the smell of vinegar (and the stink) is gone.

For ozone, get an old-timey transistor radio and leave it turned on inside a large garbage bag with the smelly item for as long as needed. Ozone is a bi-product of electricity! :)

Starchild
01-01-2014, 09:27
I used tide sport and worked fine, better then any other (normal) detergent and available at regular stores. I have heard of ones you buy online or at outfitters but have not used them.

Nyte
01-01-2014, 10:40
If you use a washer with the option for an extra rinse, that (along with other suggestions above), helps a lot. Especially for removing the excess detergent. I have had sensitivities to some detergents (and most soaps, having to do with the chemicals and perfumes they use) and became careful with using only as much as I really needed to, and rinsing well. I have gone as far as running a second wash cycle with no soap, especially on things like blankets and the sort.

I have also had some success with putting pesky "odor stained" items in a plastic tub or bag with an amount of baking soda. Works well if you have plenty of time to allow it to absorb the odors. You can wash with the stuff too (most fabrics), and it seems to help.

Good old fashioned line drying in the sun can help as well, as most of the odor is actually the result of bacteria interacting with the sweat and oils, and sunlight kills most bacteria. Gotta love UV treatment.

Valley Girl
01-01-2014, 12:59
Try Surf detergent. I had furniture and clothes that suffered heavy smoke damage from a fire. I was advised to use Surf on everything and I did. I used it like people use Fabreze nowadays and soaked clothing in it before the actual wash.

Let us know what worked:)

amac
01-01-2014, 19:29
some really good suggestions here. I've tried the amonia soaks and vinegar soaks, Neither were very effective. As soon as I started sweating, the aroma returned. THe others sound promising.

Blissful
01-01-2014, 21:52
That's why I like merino wool base. You never really get the smell out of other synthetics.

Robin2013AT
01-01-2014, 22:06
Whatever Double Zero used at the White Mtn Hostel was miraculous. Unbelievable. I think she did an extra wash cycle with Borax/ 20 mule team. I saw and used white vinegar at many hiker trash laundry sites.

pnkwolfe
01-02-2014, 12:41
+1 on the borax. Long, hot soak. Kills the smelly little critters (bacteria) that feed off your sweat and your laundry detergent residue.