PDA

View Full Version : A twist to a food question I posted previously.........

Different Socks
01-01-2014, 14:30
In a previous OP, I asked if there were any "weird, different, unusual things" eaten on the trail and got some good responses.
Now what I'd like to know is what have you seen others eat/drink, or you have eaten/drank on a trail hike, that would not be thought of as typical fare to be eaten/drank, much less carried in a pack? I am talking about anything:

--that was "hiker" expensive(caviar?)
--different
--for a special occasion(birthday cake?)
--heavy!!
--fragile
--difficult to find, buy, or get
--unusual candies, chocolate or powdered drinks
--something that involved creativity on the part of the eater
--Trail Magic snacks, dinners, sweets, dessert, etc
--extremely spicy or gloriously hot!
--uniquely flavored foods
--wines, beers or other alcohols

Examples that I have had on long hikes:
--lasagna or pizza I baked on my stove
--brownies, cupcakes, cake, muffins, cornbread--all baked on my stove
--cans of chili
--fresh eggs still in the shell(on the Ice Age Trail)
--steamed fresh caught fish(on the PCT)
--peanut butter pie
--cookies and cream pie
--no bake cheese cakes
--wine coolers(on the AT)
--various bottles of beer
--GIANT size candy bars
--chicken fajitas
--pork/beef ribs
--2 doz or more different kinds of powdered drinks(Ergon, Tang are 2 of them)

And tell ya what, you can even include things you'd like to have on a hike with you.

This OP is meant to be informative and funny. Perhaps I'll get some good ideas from others.

Wise Old Owl
01-01-2014, 15:41
Strangest thing I saw was three people backpacking the AT with a mini pressure cooker for real stew they were doing a seven day trip They were using it once a day to reduce cooking times. What made it interesting to me was they were local to PA.

Common in Europe - my mom did a lot of pressure cooking when we grew up... The microwave has made this style of making dinners almost obsolete.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/11871/GSI-Outdoors-Halulite-27-L-Pressure-Cooker.html?gclid=CPHztqTc3bsCFSUOOgodVBEAOw

Dogwood
01-01-2014, 15:52
Now what I'd like to know is what have you seen others eat/drink, or you have eaten/drank on a trail hike, that would not be thought of as typical fare to be eaten/drank, much less carried in a pack? I am talking about anything:

On the Florida Tr saw a hiker who had caught and was eating armadillos.

Different Socks
01-01-2014, 16:08

On the Florida Tr saw a hiker who had caught and was eating armadillos.

In reagrds to food and/or equipment: I wa just finsihing a hike on the CDt in Glacieer and passed by two young guys, one of which hadb a huge cast iron skillet hanging to the outside of his pack.
Another hike, as I sat down to breakfast in the back country of Y-stone, 2 others hikers walked over carrying a huge plate of fresh berries and a two burner coleman stove. We were 8 miles from the trailhead!!! On the same hike I passed by a guy that was carrying a float tube for fishing and it was already inflated.

Different Socks
01-01-2014, 16:09
In regards to food and/or equipment: I was just finishing a hike on the CDT in Glacier and passed by two young guys, one of which had a huge cast iron skillet hanging to the outside of his pack.
Another hike, as I sat down to breakfast in the back country of Y-stone, 2 others hikers walked over carrying a huge plate of fresh berries and a two burner coleman stove. We were 8 miles from the trailhead!!! On the same hike I passed by a guy that was carrying a float tube for fishing and it was already inflated.

Sorry for bad grammar.