PDA

View Full Version : Question: When resupplying in towns, what are your backpacking food staples?

ryan850
01-01-2014, 21:26
I tend to buy the same things at a resupply. I want to broaden my horizons on my PCT hike next year. Any suggestions? I'm always looking for new meal ideas that fit into these categories:

Calorie dense
Non-perishable
Easy to prepare with only a cook pot, stove, and spoon
Nutritious
Tasty
Inexpensive
Versatile, not as important maybe, but I like ingredients that can be used in multiple ways and meals that have varying cook times (for those times I don't want to cook).

I'm a fan of peanut butter noodles (whole-grain pasta, crunchy peanut butter, olive oil, and a packet of soy sauce). It's cheap, calorie dense, easy to prepare, nutritious, tasty, and the ingredients can be used in a lot of ways. Any other suggestions like that?

Thanks!

ChinMusic
01-01-2014, 21:36
It's gotta start with pre-cooked bacon.

Papa D
01-01-2014, 21:39
Here is my routine:

clean out zip-locks and organize food bag in grocery store garbage can (usually at front of store)

breakfasts: carnation instant, pop-tarts, instant oatmeal, cliff bars, met rx protein bars, instant coffee (starbucks vias if I can get them)
lunches: GORP, Dried Fruit, Candy Bars, Cliff Bars, Nuts, Soy Stuff (tofurky, seitan bars?) tuna foil packs, etc.
dinners: mac and cheese, tortellini (I look for Barila Brand), instant refried beans, instant rice, tortillas, block cheese, instant potatoes, foil packs of tuna,
hot chocolate mix, candy bars, maybe a little junk food - - like a big bag of Snyders of Hanover Pretzel things
also, old fashioned jiffy pop pop corn backpacks pretty easily
I also carry curry powder and the hottest hot sauce I can find :banana

have fun

Papa D
01-01-2014, 21:43
oh yeah:

if I have to buy ziplocks or have anything left over, I try to give the leftovers to the kindest oldest person I can spot. I say, "excuse me, but could you use half a box of ziplocks (or whatever)"
they say, "um, sure, why are you giving them away" then I say, "oh, because I am hiking the appalachian trail (or whatever trail) and I can't carry more than I need in my pack - - I only have to
walk three miles up the road there to get back to the trail." They say, "oh, really, we could give you a ride." I say, "wow, thanks, that would be great." :)

Blissful
01-01-2014, 21:50
Don't know what you usually buy, so it's hard to know what to say to broaden your horizon. But if you want to do that, I'd look into dehydrating and sending mail drops. Some good recipe books out there.

MuddyWaters
01-01-2014, 21:54
convenience food store snacks
trail mix
candy bars
Little debbie snacks
peanut butter
tortillas
Pepperoni
cheese
meat sticks
jerky
tuna salad
tuna
granola

ryan850
01-01-2014, 21:56
Why have I not done this!

ryan850
01-01-2014, 21:57

Why have I not done this?!

ryan850
01-01-2014, 21:59
Here is my routine:

clean out zip-locks and organize food bag in grocery store garbage can (usually at front of store)

breakfasts: carnation instant, pop-tarts, instant oatmeal, cliff bars, met rx protein bars, instant coffee (starbucks vias if I can get them)
lunches: GORP, Dried Fruit, Candy Bars, Cliff Bars, Nuts, Soy Stuff (tofurky, seitan bars?) tuna foil packs, etc.
dinners: mac and cheese, tortellini (I look for Barila Brand), instant refried beans, instant rice, tortillas, block cheese, instant potatoes, foil packs of tuna,
hot chocolate mix, candy bars, maybe a little junk food - - like a big bag of Snyders of Hanover Pretzel things
also, old fashioned jiffy pop pop corn backpacks pretty easily
I also carry curry powder and the hottest hot sauce I can find :banana

have fun

Do you prefer a certain type of block cheese? I use Parmesan since it lasts longer in warmer weather.

Papa D
01-01-2014, 21:59
oh heck, I forgot peanut butter -a staple for sure - make ramen noodles wet (skip the spice bag) add a big dole of peanut butter - - stir, stir stir -
add hot sauce and soy sauce (pirate packs from chinese restaurant if you can) - - you have trail thai noodles. gourmet it up with some coconut milk!

ryan850
01-01-2014, 22:00
oh yeah:

if I have to buy ziplocks or have anything left over, I try to give the leftovers to the kindest oldest person I can spot. I say, "excuse me, but could you use half a box of ziplocks (or whatever)"
they say, "um, sure, why are you giving them away" then I say, "oh, because I am hiking the appalachian trail (or whatever trail) and I can't carry more than I need in my pack - - I only have to
walk three miles up the road there to get back to the trail." They say, "oh, really, we could give you a ride." I say, "wow, thanks, that would be great." :)

I will have to give that a try! And I thought I've tried every trick in the book for getting a ride hah.

Papa D
01-01-2014, 22:00
Do you prefer a certain type of block cheese? I use Parmesan since it lasts longer in warmer weather.

the harder the cheese, the longer it lasts but I've carried block cheddar in the summer for 5 days and it's fine - maybe a little slimy on day 5 but really ok

MuddyWaters
01-01-2014, 22:02
Any vacuum packaged individual cheese sticks will keep fine for several days.

ryan850
01-01-2014, 22:02
Don't know what you usually buy, so it's hard to know what to say to broaden your horizon. But if you want to do that, I'd look into dehydrating and sending mail drops. Some good recipe books out there.

My list is usually: Peanut butter, whole-grain pasta, olive oil, instant potatoes, Knorr Pasta sides, Ramen, parmesan, candy bars, Pop tarts, Nuts, dried fruit, oatmeal, tuna salad, tortillas, and ovaltine for hot or cold chocolate drink.

ryan850
01-01-2014, 22:04
oh heck, I forgot peanut butter -a staple for sure - make ramen noodles wet (skip the spice bag) add a big dole of peanut butter - - stir, stir stir -
add hot sauce and soy sauce (pirate packs from chinese restaurant if you can) - - you have trail thai noodles. gourmet it up with some coconut milk!

I've done this, but never with coconut milk or hot sauce. I'll definitely give it a try. Thank for all the info!

ryan850
01-01-2014, 22:05
Any vacuum packaged individual cheese sticks will keep fine for several days.

Good to know. I crave cheese on the trail, but rarely buy it unless it's relatively cold outside.

Papa D
01-01-2014, 22:09
I've done this, but never with coconut milk or hot sauce. I'll definitely give it a try. Thank for all the info!

well the coconut milk requires that you pack in and out a can so it's totally optional - the use of cayenne pepper or some other hot sauce is required.

try this:

buy some kid's "squeezable fruit snack" (at home) squeeze the gross fruit and sugar into the garbage or compost. Fill the container with sriracha! maybe take 2.
re-fill at grocery with sriracha or whatever other hot sauce you can find - split with other hikers.

budforester
01-01-2014, 22:12
Honey. I like it with peanut butter (PB&H), or as a sweetener for cereals and hot drinks. I carry the bottle in a bag!

theinfamousj
01-06-2014, 02:22
well the coconut milk requires that you pack in and out a can so it's totally optional - the use of cayenne pepper or some other hot sauce is required.

try this:

buy some kid's "squeezable fruit snack" (at home) squeeze the gross fruit and sugar into the garbage or compost. Fill the container with sriracha! maybe take 2.
re-fill at grocery with sriracha or whatever other hot sauce you can find - split with other hikers.

Am currently working as a nanny so wanted to pop in and say that if you are talking about those squeeze apple sauce type packages, they already make empties that can be filled and refilled. Easier to clean, for sure. Not sure if the package is lighter, but maybe someone would rather carry the extra few grams than have the possibility of Apple sauce tainted hot sauce. Don't have the link to the product on me, but can ask on my local nanny forum if there is enough interest.

On that note, if anyone wants any empties of those stage 1 baby food squeeze packs, let me know over PMs. My local nanny group can hook you up. That way there is no need to buy something just to squeeze it in to the trash.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Happy44
01-06-2014, 12:40
Idaho Potoato .................................... much warm , such filling!

Praha4
01-06-2014, 13:31
ditto precooked bacon ... also those Starbucks Via Instant Iced Coffees (not the Via instant coffee, the ICED coffee) are incredibly easy to fix at breakfast and taste great.... other ideas: dark chocolate candy, almonds and/or macademia nuts, trail mix, dried apricots, tuna and chicken foil packs (Starkist also sells the premixed tuna salad foil packs), soft tortillas, instant mashed potatoes, Knorr instant pasta sides and rice side packets, most any protein bars (my favorite are the Cliff 20gm protein bars, Probar protein bars, Honey stinger 20gm or 10gm protein bars, Gu-Gels (tri berry my favorite), Mio-Fit or Mio-Energy liquid water enhancers (arctic grape my favorite), carb-dense energy bars like Clif Bars or Clif granola bars, or Probars, whatever is in the store, fresh fruit like apples or bananas, block of smoked cheese from the deli section, and of course the tried and true Beef Jerky.

jdc5294
01-06-2014, 13:54
nutella, pepperoni, those blocks of helluva good cheese, summer sausage, nature valley oats and honey, clif bars

10-K
01-06-2014, 13:58
I really have to make a list before I get to the store or I'll forget all the things I really wanted. Something about pushing a buggy around a grocery store and seeing so much food in one place that's just overwhelming to me.

Also remember I have to carry everything I put in the buggy. My eyes overload my back every time.

Statue
01-06-2014, 21:33
cheese, deli meat, chocolate, coffee, drink mix

swjohnsey
01-06-2014, 22:01
Oats, sugar, coffee, peanut butter, jelly, honey, tortilla, Knorr rice sides, box mac & cheese, instant mashed potatoes in pouch, Spam singles, chicken in a pouch, tuna in pouch. Any hard cheese will last a while, summer sausage, pop tarts, ramen, chocolate bars. Fried chicken will last a couple of day. Subway sandwich will last a day.

Valley Girl
01-06-2014, 22:14
I love this thread.

jus10kase
01-09-2014, 21:50
Definitely a list needed. Learned those tub lunchmeats would hold a couple days before opening, then used as a bowl till next stop. Always a chunk of cheese. Couple bananas. Tried to find a special treat of some kind for the first night or two out of town. Instant gravy was a flavor enhancer I didn't think of beforehand.

RED-DOG
01-10-2014, 13:38
Oats, sugar, coffee, peanut butter, jelly, honey, tortilla, Knorr rice sides, box mac & cheese, instant mashed potatoes in pouch, Spam singles, chicken in a pouch, tuna in pouch. Any hard cheese will last a while, summer sausage, pop tarts, ramen, chocolate bars. Fried chicken will last a couple of day. Subway sandwich will last a day.
and I also like to add those Pink Salmon single pouches, Knorr Pasta sides, Hot sauce, Fresh fruits and veggies will last a couple of days, Jolly rancher's and some kind of Gummie Candy, bagels with Strawberry Cream cheese ( Single Packets ), Tuna salad in single pouch, and any kind of Deli sandwich for first day out of town, and here lately i have been carring fresh EGGS in a Plastic carton for use in a Zip-Lock Omelette,and any thing else that looks good and i feel like carrying.

RED-DOG
01-10-2014, 13:42
And yeah i almost forgot the good old stanby some kind of GORP, and any kind of Cereal and powdered milk.

slow ride 302
01-14-2014, 16:04
Idahoan Mashed Potatoes. I agree with you, they are delicious. My 4 favorites in order of preference are Loaded Baked [can taste cheese, sour cream & butter], Four Cheese, [strong cheesy taste], Homestyle butter [strong butter taste, and Applewood Smokey Bacon [smokey with strong cheese flavor]. Easy and quick to fix. Boil water, dump in package, vigorously stir for a minute or less, shut down stove and stir till thick. let cool down and eat. Makes more than I can eat in one sitting.

I am not high on Knor's Pasta. Takes too long after boiling starts. 7 minutes is not enough for my taste. I have to cook it more than 10 minutes. Not much taste. I can stand the chicken flavor stuff with a small can of tuna, if that makes any sense. Also, you need powdered milk.

I think better in the mountains.

RedBeerd
01-14-2014, 16:10
Cheese. You should probably see how long it lasts though.

RED-DOG
01-14-2014, 16:37
3 to 5 days depending how Hot it is, the cooler it is the longer it will last, but i am also talking about "Block Cheedar" I never tried a different type.

George
01-14-2014, 17:27
caesar salad kit and fake crab meat - for 2 people add spring mix bag salad

StovieWander
01-14-2014, 17:38
6 oz. tomato paste + 10 oz. water + beef ramen, with flavor packet = trail spaghetti. Even better with pepperoni.

Foresight
01-14-2014, 17:44

This man knows what's up.

wannahike
01-14-2014, 17:44
Wow, no one has mentioned stove top stuffing. Have they stopped making it or something?

RedBeerd
01-14-2014, 17:55

StovieWander
01-14-2014, 18:20
Cheese mixed with oil comes in an aluminum can with a plastic nozzle. No refrigeration needed, although about an inch remains in the nozzle and could spoil. Spread it on tortillas, bagels, or other types of bread. Mix it with ramen, couscous, or mashed potatoes.

When you use up the cheese, you can remove the nozzle, cut a short piece off the top, force part of a 6 oz. tomato paste can into the cut end, poke some holes, and have an alcohol burner. Not trying to hijack the thread - just passing along various things I like to do with what comes in the two cans I mostly use for my stove building hobby. Anything more belongs in the DIY gear forum.

Rolls Kanardly
01-14-2014, 18:21
oh yeah:

A Yogi is a Yogi is a Yogi, That is great, Rolls

Rolls Kanardly
01-14-2014, 18:43
the harder the cheese, the longer it lasts but I've carried block cheddar in the summer for 5 days and it's fine - maybe a little slimy on day 5 but really ok

Hickory Farms and other companies that make gift baskets, especially around the holidays, have cheeses and sausages that last for months. The only problem is the preservatives (salts and nitrites). Although some hikers need an extra dose of salt to compensate for the loss of salt due to sweating. Rolls

StovieWander
01-14-2014, 18:45
Underwood makes some canned meat worth trying. The deviled ham is spicy hot. The roast beef spread has great aroma and taste, but it needs to be heated to bring out both. And yes, I have used the cans for stove parts.

Del Q
01-14-2014, 21:43
SPAM single serving..........great with pita bread and mustard packets - either squeeze the mustard out or just eat the packet and all (roughage)

Ramen in a zip loc with some water, fill at lunch, by dinner the bag will be ready to burst! Double bag. Add spices to taste

flemdawg1
01-16-2014, 16:25
Stuffing, instant taters, oatmeal, COFFEE, jerky, snickers, Knorr sides (red beans and rice is my fave), whole wheat tortillas, cheese. If you can find shelf stable sausage like blister-packed chorizo that's awesome. Usually try to take Kroger instant drink mix (sugar free, small packs, more electrolytes than Propel).

SunnyWalker
01-23-2014, 14:07
OK Papa D. Got it. Great!

Plain Pete
02-04-2014, 11:01
Someone mentioned scoring soy sauce packets from Chinese restaurants. Another source, especially in the south, is Chick Fila. They have hot sauce packets and mayonnaise packets. The mayo is great with those tuna pouches. I know PB is a staple on the trail, but I have trouble with it causing digestive problems. I find many food stores carry soybean butter which is my choice for a spread.

AngelEyez
02-04-2014, 11:26
try bacon jerky um um and as far a cheese check your quick mart some cell self stable cheese usually with the slim jims not a bad item either any meat in a pouch. another thing at the quick mart raid the packets. here were got ranch in singles hot sauce bbg u name it. if ur lucky someplace have creamer in a single packs. yes Starbucks via yum yum. There are book out there all about back packing food. I love getting generic trail mix and add in all kinds of goodies, m+m work better the chocolate chips in the heat. get creative. Sometimes on long trips veggies and use the vac u pack to make single serve soups<sure zips will do the same>. Hard meats ie peperoni, salami, so meany options out there. A little whighty but good is pre cooked rice options <uncle bens, minit made> Bags Bags Bags so meany uses, food wet clothing getting water carrying it.:banana:sun< need me some got a blizzard coming in over night>

perdidochas
02-04-2014, 11:59
Someone mentioned scoring soy sauce packets from Chinese restaurants. Another source, especially in the south, is Chick Fila. They have hot sauce packets and mayonnaise packets. The mayo is great with those tuna pouches. I know PB is a staple on the trail, but I have trouble with it causing digestive problems. I find many food stores carry soybean butter which is my choice for a spread.

Chick Fil A also has salsa packets now.

vic_doom69
02-06-2014, 11:54
Not really a staple, but more of a treat, I like to make trail pizza. Take a tortilla and put pizza sauce all over it, usually take the ketchup bottle size ( heavy I know ), them put cheese and pepperoni on it, fold in half put in aluminum foil, place by the fire and let it cook til it's a bit crispy.

Also so like to make chicken sandwiches. If you can find the fully cooked chicken breast in a foil pouch. Just boil in water to warm up and put on flat bread. Kinda smells like dog food but tastes really good.