PDA

View Full Version : bourbon

Papa D
01-01-2014, 22:41
just poured myself a little Baker's Bourbon with a splash of water - - thinking about the trail and hiking and so forth. Cheers.

George
01-01-2014, 23:18
my winter favorite is bourbon and dark chocolate

Papa D
01-01-2014, 23:25
mmm - I was doing bourbon and cheez-its but I could probably scare up some dark chocolate to try - good idea George
I'm pretty much blowing my healthy, in moderation, trail runner athlete thing today to wit:

i woke up at 8am
I drank coffee and read until about 10am
I had leftover thai food for lunch and dinner
about 4 oclock, I went to a local pub and had a beer
I ate boca burgers, kale and black eyed peas with my family about 8 pm
I had a glass of wine with my wife but then we ran out and she went off to read and play on facebook
I opened a bottle of bourbon my Dad gave me - Bakers - and got on Whiteblaze
maybe I'll go for a run tomorrow but I'm pretty much a slack looser tonight.

bigcranky
01-02-2014, 10:27
I'm not a bourbon drinker, but this evening I will open up the bottle of Scotch that my dad gave me and have a wee dram while thinking about the Trail. (It's a Laphroig 18. Mmm. High on the hog tonight.)

bamboo bob
01-02-2014, 21:09
Knob Creek

fwish
01-02-2014, 21:54
Makers Mark 46

max patch
01-02-2014, 22:00
Knob Creek

Makers Mark was my drink of choice for many years until last year when I was introduced to my new favorite, Knob Creek.

Odd Man Out
01-02-2014, 22:14
1792 Ridgemont Reserve
Talisker (10 yr)

hobby
01-02-2014, 22:42
mmm - I was doing bourbon and cheez-its but I could probably scare up some dark chocolate to try - good idea George
I'm pretty much blowing my healthy, in moderation, trail runner athlete thing today to wit:

i woke up at 8am
I had a glass of wine with my wife but then we ran out and she went off to read and play on facebook

my kind of night!

but Cabernet Savignon and chocolate is hard to beat!

jimmyjam
01-02-2014, 22:56
Bourbon, now thst's my fav flavor. Bourbon and ginger or on the rocks or American Honey or Tennessee Honey or Seagrams Dark Honey ...hmmm

JansportD2
01-03-2014, 01:14
Drinking bourbon at the end of a day on the trail beats drinking bourbon and thinking about the trail. I actually spent a couple of days last weekend walking on the trail between Port Clinton and Swatara Gap, PA. I carried a small plastic flask of Buffalo Trace which I mixed with a little spring water at the end of the day. That and a few ibuprofen led to two nights of great sleep under my tarp. Friday and Saturday were very nice. Sunday, not so much - low 30s and a hard rain.

I brought a little spring water home and am enjoying it (with bourbon) right now.

My camp Friday night by Eagles Nest Shelter.

Firefighter503
01-03-2014, 05:47
I'm a fan of Knob Creek myself. Tennessee Honey is good too, but it is a little sweet.

Berserker
01-03-2014, 13:56
You know I've never been much of one for the "finer things in life", but I do like me some good whiskey (and whisky)...in moderation of course. I like it so much that I've developed quite a nice collection of hard to find items as well as those highly sought after yearly releases. The great thing about whiskey and bourbon in particular is that most of it is good...even the "mid level to bottom shelf" stuff like Evan Williams, Fighting Cock and Old Granddad 114 to name a few. Sure they aren't as complex as the more expensive harder to get stuff, but they're still mighty tasty.

Drybones
01-03-2014, 15:54
Woodford Reserve would be my first choice but Berserker is correct, most all those Kentucky, and a few TN, gentlemen are all good. I normally just sip mine over some ice but on the trail when it's cold I like to mix a packet of spiced apple cider with about 4 oz of hot water and 6-8 oz of sour mash. The first sip takes your breath away but it's not the alcohol, just something about the way the spices and wiskey mix I guess. I dont like choccolot but I do like a sip of whiskey with those fancy choccolots with caramel filling, whiskey and choccolot just go together...goes nicely with a good cigar too.

inspectorgene
01-03-2014, 16:02
Dang you guys... Off to the liquor store for me

Drybones
01-03-2014, 16:05
Is it 5:00 somewhere?

Night Train
01-03-2014, 17:48
Makers Mark was my drink of choice for many years until last year when I was introduced to my new favorite, Knob Creek.
Same here, mine was Crown Royal until little miss Knob Creek found her way into my heart.

12TH Man
01-03-2014, 17:54
Ardbeg Corry Vreckan. (Gift from oilman sibling--would not spend that much) damn good!!

bigcranky
01-03-2014, 17:59
Ardbeg Corry Vreckan. (Gift from oilman sibling--would not spend that much) damn good!!

Yes, and the Ardbeg UIGEADAIL is pretty freaking amazing, too. Probably the best dram I've ever had.

12TH Man
01-03-2014, 18:01
No ice. Add two drops of spring water. Cigar would be nice but MD is giving me crap about my unsavory ways.

12TH Man
01-03-2014, 18:06
BC, I'll have to hint to Bro about Uigeadail.

BradMT
01-03-2014, 18:33
Makers Mark 46

......This^

tawa
01-03-2014, 18:41
----Old Crow!

ladytaz
01-03-2014, 19:41
Sitting here having my evening wine and dreaming of a thru hike. not possible anytime soon but I begin sectioning in Mach! If any of you Crown Royal drinkers are interested in seeing them I have made my hubby one quilt from the Crown Royal purple bags and one quilt from the crown royal black bags.

bigcranky
01-03-2014, 19:56
BC, I'll have to hint to Bro about Uigeadail.

This would be an exceedlingly good idea. :)

Mrs Baggins
01-03-2014, 19:56
I have a lovely silver flask that I bought at the Virginia Scottish Games. I fill it with good single malt Scotch.

12TH Man
01-03-2014, 20:16
My Brothers and Father and I went to Scotland for The Gathering that Glenlivet puts on. Gave us all a very nice flask.
Just bought a couple of Stanley flasks at REI. Must have the Scotish Ambrosia on the trail.

Stinkbug
I think all bourbons are just swell! If you ever get some time try out the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Most of it is centered along the Bluegrass Pkwy. between Lexington and Louisville. The scenary is the best. Rolling hills and streams in horse country. The Bourbon is not too bad either. About 9 distilleries to tour. 4 Roses. / Woodford Reserve and Makers are my favorite destinations. At Makers you can dip your own bottle in the red wax... Next to the AT the Bourbon Trail is my 2nd favorite trail. If you like smooth Bourbon try Bulliett 10 year. Awesome!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Traffic Jam
This is my beauty (but I prefer TN Honey)

12TH Man
01-03-2014, 20:20
What is that Traffic Jam?

Traffic Jam
01-03-2014, 20:23
What is that Traffic Jam?

Johnnie Walker Blue Label

4shot
01-03-2014, 20:25
The great thing about whiskey and bourbon in particular is that most of it is good...even the "mid level to bottom shelf" stuff like Evan Williams, Fighting Cock and Old Granddad 114 to name a few. Sure they aren't as complex as the more expensive harder to get stuff, but they're still mighty tasty.

I have been drinking whiskey since I was a young child...I used to get hot water, honey and bourbon to sip when I was sick. I could fake a cough with the best of them ever since I was about 7. ;) With that being said, there is nothing better on this planet than Evan Williams. I do like the occasional dram of single malt but the Evan Williams black is the king of them all.

12TH Man
01-03-2014, 20:28
Excellent taste there TJ
Johnnie Walker Blue Label

Traffic Jam
01-03-2014, 20:42
I have been drinking whiskey since I was a young child...I used to get hot water, honey and bourbon to sip when I was sick. I could fake a cough with the best of them ever since I was about 7. ;) With that being said, there is nothing better on this planet than Evan Williams. I do like the occasional dram of single malt but the Evan Williams black is the king of them all.

That's funny.

Traffic Jam
01-03-2014, 20:45
Excellent taste there TJ

I didn't know so much of the JW was gone...I think Santa got a bit crazy. Of course, since he left me a Lightheart tent, who am I to complain.

12TH Man
01-03-2014, 21:07

My dear Father had four sons. Teething pains taken care of by dipping his finger into his scotch and thusly rubbing said finger over
offending gums (teeth).

Scotch has been a friend for some time.

nickgann
01-03-2014, 21:54
For the trail I prefer Cheap: Evan 1783. But lately during cold hikes Mint Schnapps has been preferable.

Del Q
01-03-2014, 22:09
I never used to bring booze with me then a serious outdoorsman friend asked if I brought "hooch" with me. He brings Vodka

I have varied on my selections hike to hike, but on the bourbon front George Stagg was amazing, like 142 proof, but Bookers topped the bourbon experiences. Finished a long 14 mile day, ended with a long UP, you know when you get that 2nd wind at the end of the day? Felt great, got to camping spot, got water, sun going down, started on the Bookers before hydrating.............after 4-5 ounces or so realized it was time to pitch my tent, bear bag, eat, etc. Laughed. Was a perfect night, cool, no bugs, great tenting spot, SPAM with pita bread, mustard and cheese for dinner, hard pretzels, GORP, more bourbon. PERFECT

roberte68
01-05-2014, 13:52
Bookers
Knob Creek
Buffalo Trace

Rinse and Repeat ;)

Traffic Jam
01-05-2014, 16:52
I never used to bring booze with me then a serious outdoorsman friend asked if I brought "hooch" with me. He brings Vodka

I have varied on my selections hike to hike, but on the bourbon front George Stagg was amazing, like 142 proof, but Bookers topped the bourbon experiences. Finished a long 14 mile day, ended with a long UP, you know when you get that 2nd wind at the end of the day? Felt great, got to camping spot, got water, sun going down, started on the Bookers before hydrating.............after 4-5 ounces or so realized it was time to pitch my tent, bear bag, eat, etc. Laughed. Was a perfect night, cool, no bugs, great tenting spot, SPAM with pita bread, mustard and cheese for dinner, hard pretzels, GORP, more bourbon. PERFECT

I hike to experience moments like that.

Papa D
01-05-2014, 18:51
wow - this thread is still going - cool

Berserker
01-06-2014, 22:02
I assume you've tried the Evan Williams single barrel. If not then go check it out... for a few more bucks than the black label it's some good stuff.

swjohnsey
01-06-2014, 22:14
Is Jack Daniels burbon? Neat!

aficion
01-06-2014, 22:34
Makers Mark almost exclusively since 1973. Now Benchmark, nearly as good at half the price. Retirement has its costs. Maturity has its benefits.

Namtrag
01-06-2014, 22:57
My favorite bourbon is scotch.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2014, 01:24
Makers Mark almost exclusively since 1973. Now Benchmark, nearly as good at half the price. Retirement has its costs. Maturity has its benefits.

I sent a personal letter to Makers Mark a few years back to talk about when my dad took us down there to the tour prior to my 16th birthday,,, the place was closed and the security guard (bless him) unlocked the place and gave us the tour in spite of being closed... he looked 90 years old... he gave us a tour about prohibition and history that will never be forgotten. It was on a parallel of a WW2 vet on the war.... Us kids were incredibly thankful for his service... never got a reply. To this day I still remember him and rarely get a chance to toast a shot in his memory with Makers Mark. A unique moment in my childhood.

Wise Old Owl
01-07-2014, 01:32
My favorite bourbon is scotch.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-9mvYJbYJthYnu/the_shadow_1994_lamont_meets_shiwan_khan/

The Shadow (1994): Lamont Meets Shiwan Khan

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-9mvYJbYJthYnu/the_shadow_1994_lamont_meets_shiwan_khan/

George
01-07-2014, 10:45

a common misconception - and to me any sweetened whiskies should not be confused with bourbon - the only thing you should taste is what is derived from the wood barrel

Berserker
01-07-2014, 13:24
Technically yes, but it's marketed under the moniker of "Tennessee Whiskey" as are George Dickel products (the other major TN whiskey distiller) to distinguish them from bourbon as both distillers run their distillate through a charcoal filtering process before it's barreled (this is not done with most bourbons).

a common misconception - and to me any sweetened whiskies should not be confused with bourbon - the only thing you should taste is what is derived from the wood barrel
Huh? The spirit is distilled and then run through a charcoal filtering process before being barreled. No sweeteners are added to Jack Daniels...unless you are talking about the flavored products.

12TH Man
01-07-2014, 19:16
wow - this thread is still going - cool

Yes. Ask the important questions. Get the important answers. Scotch vs Whisky; much more important than Big Agnes vs Others.

johnnybgood
01-07-2014, 19:34
Sorry,...being a beer drinker I've nothing to contribute here...that johnny is a dull boy indeed. :)

bigcranky
01-07-2014, 19:48
Hey, I love my beer, too. The fridge in my garage is proof of a collecting mania gone far wrong. Sometimes I even drink them :) Since beer and Scotch are both made from malted barley, I see no problem in liking both.

Funkmeister
01-07-2014, 19:55
Also count me in for Knob Creek.

adamkrz
01-07-2014, 20:03
Any booze tastes better on the trail, My fav would be Wild Turkey -80 or 101.

jimmyjam
01-07-2014, 20:05
A painter stopped by and left this on my desk today. Seeing as it's going to be 9* again tonight, I just might have to do a little sippin'.

Drybones
01-07-2014, 20:43
Yes. Ask the important questions. Get the important answers. Scotch vs Whisky; much more important than Big Agnes vs Others.

Got that right bro...putting one foot in front of the other isn't that big a deal...what you sip on at the end of the day is.

Drybones
01-07-2014, 20:46
A painter stopped by and left this on my desk today. Seeing as it's going to be 9* again tonight, I just might have to do a little sippin'.

I'm available if you need help.

Drybones
01-07-2014, 20:55

Don't get much better than that...only thing to make it better is having a good friend to pass the bottle to...sit around the fire and tell tales all night.

Drybones
01-07-2014, 21:01
Jim Beam Devils Cut, fairly new, highly recommend it.

jimmyjam
01-07-2014, 21:09
I'm available if you need help.
Hey, I'm always willing to share with fellow hikers. I'd say stop on by, but you're probably 600 miles from me.

George
01-07-2014, 21:41
it's marketed under the moniker of "Tennessee Whiskey"

Huh? The spirit is distilled and then run through a charcoal filtering process before being barreled. No sweeteners are added to Jack Daniels...unless you are talking about the flavored products.

it is "sour mash" type tennessee whisky - it does not go in to the barrel as neutral spirit, and the sour comes through - it may have evolved from bourbon, but like sweetened versions, it does not keep with the original intention - just like mango vodka is just a name

sfdoc
01-07-2014, 22:13
So, with all this talk about bourbon, I have to add my two cents. I've had Jack Daniels, switched to Jim Beam (fewer or no congeners) and fairly inexpensive. It also has a Green Beret heritage. I have recently tried Makers Mark (very good), Knobb Creek (also, very good). But, within the last month I have tried Basil Hayden's. Expensive (what isn't) but VERY, VERY good. Treat yourself. Give it a try.

ATL Backpacker
01-07-2014, 22:22
Most all Bourbons go through the sour mash process. It's not unique to TN whiskey or JD although it's required of TN whiskey I think.

JD essentially meets all the requirements of a straight Bourbon...>51% corn, new charred oak barrel aging, proof, no coloring/flavoring. It becomes TN whiskey when it goes through the additional step of charcoal filtering as someone pointed out earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

kunzman
01-07-2014, 22:39
http://laughingsquid.com/a-chart-that-gets-to-the-root-of-the-bourbon-distilling-family-tree/

12TH Man
01-07-2014, 23:02
Hey, I'm always willing to share with fellow hikers. I'd say stop on by, but you're probably 600 miles from me.

OK Jimmy: I'll fly down and pickup Drybones : so where are u exactly?

jimmyjam
01-07-2014, 23:11
I am in Richmond. Hoping for a thaw this weekend so I can get in a little trail time.

12TH Man
01-07-2014, 23:21
I am in Richmond. Hoping for a thaw this weekend so I can get in a little trail time.

Sorry Drybones, No flight this week

jimmyjam
01-07-2014, 23:29
Sorry Drybones, No flight this week

And I've got the de-icer .

12TH Man
01-07-2014, 23:32
And I've got the de-icer .

Strike that Drybones; I'll be right down.!!

Cookerhiker
01-08-2014, 08:30
My bi-weekly hiking group out of Lexington always includes bourbon and other accouterments in cold weather hikes. I bring my canister stove and coffee pot to make perked coffee and others bring the booze in the little bottles. It was only through this group that I discovered how good a shot of bourbon in coffee tastes.

Stinkbug
01-08-2014, 18:39
I sent a personal letter to Makers Mark a few years back to talk about when my dad took us down there to the tour prior to my 16th birthday,,, the place was closed and the security guard (bless him) unlocked the place and gave us the tour in spite of being closed... he looked 90 years old... he gave us a tour about prohibition and history that will never be forgotten. It was on a parallel of a WW2 vet on the war.... Us kids were incredibly thankful for his service... never got a reply. To this day I still remember him and rarely get a chance to toast a shot in his memory with Makers Mark. A unique moment in my childhood.

Several years ago, Makers really upgraded their tour. Very well done. Provide a great tasting - white lightning vs aged bourbon. Awesome drive to Loretta, Kentucky.

Kingbee
01-08-2014, 18:49
Glenfiddich 12 yr old at the end of a day is so sweet.

aficion
01-08-2014, 20:25
Glenfiddich 12 yr old at the end of a day is so sweet.

If I gotta drink Scotch I prefer the 16 men of Tain. Fine carryin on!

atmilkman
01-08-2014, 20:38
Old Grand Dad 114 - firm and fruity with a hint of rye character. A hearty after supper bourbon.

jimmyjam
01-08-2014, 20:42
Old Grand Dad 114 - firm and fruity with a hint of rye character. A hearty after supper bourbon.

Hmmmm Dessert Bourbon! Another reason to have a little nip!

atmilkman
01-08-2014, 20:55
Hmmmm Desert Bourbon! Another reason to have a little nip!

Old Grand-DadŽOld Grand-Dad was a distiller named Basil Hayden who made his name by distilling a bourbon whiskey made with a higher percentage of rye. Basil Hayden passed along the art of distilling to his son and then, in turn, to his grandson. It was the third generation distiller, Colonel R.B. Hayden, who honored his grandfather by naming his justly famed whiskey “Old Grand-Dad.”

atmilkman
01-08-2014, 21:01
Surprised nobody has mentioned Wild Turkey. It was a high school favorite.

jimmyjam
01-08-2014, 21:24
Wild Turkey is still one of my favorites, along with the American Honey by Wild Turkey. Both good sippin' whiskey.

Game Warden
03-18-2014, 21:21
I love bourbon, but it always makes me burp a lot. My trail drink is a couple fingers of Bushmill's or Redbreast Irish whiskey, sipped from a tin cup in front of a fire.

Last Call
03-18-2014, 21:28
The only good bourbon that I've found is "Fireball"....mostly marketed to connoisseurs.

Drybones
03-18-2014, 21:40
The only good bourbon that I've found is "Fireball"....mostly marketed to connoisseurs.

I never met a bourbon I didn't like...Henry, Jim, Elijah, George, Evan, Jack...they're all good southern boys.

Other
03-19-2014, 04:20
Put the bourbon down, lace up your shoes and hike.

wyclif
03-19-2014, 07:45
I second the Laphroiag. For me, it's got to be an Islay. My tastes have become more refined over the years.

Jack89
03-19-2014, 08:05
Knob CreekYep, Knob Creek. None better, IMO.

Odd Man Out
03-19-2014, 09:26
I seem to be collecting obscure liquors, which I drink sparingly to make them last. Some were gifts. That last one is a real collectors item.

1792 Ridgemont Reserve (Bourbon, KY)
Rum from Haiti (don't recall the brand)
Talisker (Scotch, Isle of Skye)
Kvint (Cognac from Transnistria - aka Russian occupied Moldova)

Berserker
03-19-2014, 13:07
I'm assuming this a joke as Fireball is really a liqueur just like honey Jack and some of the other flavored "whiskies".

I second the Laphroiag. For me, it's got to be an Islay. My tastes have become more refined over the years.
I totally agree with Laphroaig and I'll add in Ardbeg...those are great scotches to drink out in the woods in front of a nice campfire.

Berserker
03-19-2014, 13:09
Since we've strayed a little from bourbon in this thread I'll throw in a plug for rye whiskey. I love me some rye, and I'm heading out on my next hike with some Willett 4 year old.

Old Grouse
03-19-2014, 13:40
Suggest you try Whistlepig Rye.

88BlueGT
03-19-2014, 14:08

i woke up at 8am

Sounds like a perfect day/night to me!

Drybones
03-19-2014, 14:45
Sounds like a perfect day/night to me!

I agree...don't get much better than that...I got relaxed and feeling good just reading the post.

Rolls Kanardly
03-19-2014, 15:09
My favorite bourbon is bourbon but I also like bourbon.
yuk yuk Rolls

cbocchino911
03-19-2014, 15:23
Starting Georgia Section Hike in the AM with some Woodford Reserve......best non single barrel bourbon there is, hands down.

FishyOne
03-19-2014, 15:26
When it comes to scotch, Springbank 15 YR is it.

Drybones
03-19-2014, 16:38
Starting Georgia Section Hike in the AM with some Woodford Reserve......best non single barrel bourbon there is, hands down.

The only one that might be better is Bernheim.

Drybones
03-19-2014, 16:39
My favorite bourbon is bourbon but I also like bourbon.
yuk yuk Rolls

I believe you've had enough Rolls.

Rolls Kanardly
03-19-2014, 16:49
I believe you've had enough Rolls.
Okay but just cause it is you Drybones. Rolls

cbocchino911
03-19-2014, 16:52
The only one that might be better is Bernheim.

Have never tried it.......but will now.

rickb
03-19-2014, 18:24
Jim Beam nip (airline bottle).

$1.10 each.

Plastic Bottle.

Just Bill
03-19-2014, 18:36
While you'd have to be a tasteless clod to not enjoy an expensive scotch like the more expensive Johnny Walkers I didn't grow up down south sippin jack on me pappys knee. Drinking Jack or Southern Comfort (I know) and passing a bottle was something we snuck off to do when it was inconvineint to drink cold beer, but not exactly for the pleasure of it. I did always prefer a decent cocktail with Gentleman Jack but never got into sittin an sippin straight and neat.

But I begin to see the appeal and I believe I am reaching an age where I can begin to appreciate these things a bit more.

Two questions for you fine folks-
About what age does one begin to truly enjoy/aquire this particular hankering?

Give me your best $30-$40 ish dollar a bottle reccomendation for a neat glass to try around my next fire.
(Plain ol Jack is about $20 or so around here for a bit of perspective on cost due to taxes)

jimmyjam
03-19-2014, 19:31
While you'd have to be a tasteless clod to not enjoy an expensive scotch like the more expensive Johnny Walkers I didn't grow up down south sippin jack on me pappys knee. Drinking Jack or Southern Comfort (I know) and passing a bottle was something we snuck off to do when it was inconvineint to drink cold beer, but not exactly for the pleasure of it. I did always prefer a decent cocktail with Gentleman Jack but never got into sittin an sippin straight and neat.

But I begin to see the appeal and I believe I am reaching an age where I can begin to appreciate these things a bit more.

Give me your best $30-$40 ish dollar a bottle reccomendation for a neat glass to try around my next fire.
(Plain ol Jack is about $20 or so around here for a bit of perspective on cost due to taxes)

Age- about 35 or so for me I found I like to sip it. I like Wild Turkey. But I recently had someone give me a bottle of Maker's Mark and it is excellent. I have also discovered Junior Johnson's Apple Pie Moonshine and it is extremely good and sippable.

DocMahns
03-19-2014, 20:02
I love glenfiddich and glenlivet, both are very good and are extremely pleasurable to my pallet.

Wise Old Owl
03-19-2014, 20:14
Odd really - the Scotts love theire earthy peat bogs and sweet whiskey - the Americans used carbonized barrels to give that whiskey a deeper note of maple syrup and lest be sweet... Today its Makers Mark and Knob... Tis a fine improvement if you ask an owl....

Just Bill
03-19-2014, 20:35
I'm creeping in the bourbon direction I suppose.
I prefer a Sailor (Jerry) to a Captain (Morgan) these days- so the preference for sweet is fading.

When speaking of the Glen's- 12 year or older I believe is the reccommendation?

DocMahns
03-19-2014, 20:37
I'm creeping in the bourbon direction I suppose.
I prefer a Sailor (Jerry) to a Captain (Morgan) these days- so the preference for sweet is fading.

When speaking of the Glen's- 12 year or older I believe is the reccommendation?

I've never seen glenfiddich or glenlivet below 12 years. I've only seen 12, 15, and 18 in the liquor stores around here.

Just Bill
03-19-2014, 20:42
I've never seen glenfiddich or glenlivet below 12 years. I've only seen 12, 15, and 18 in the liquor stores around here.
Truly all the knowledge of the world worth knowing can be found on this site.:)

FishyOne
03-19-2014, 20:52
Nice thing about Springbank, only 10% of the barley is malted using peat fire, it's all on the back end not upfront in your face. It has an array of flavor with a nice up front brine and back end light smoke. Not over powering.

Jack Tarlin
03-19-2014, 21:00
This is a subject that I am allegedly well-equipped to discuss, for reasons that are not exactly a secret. The answer is Knob Creek. Those of you planning a visit anytime soon to Neel Gap are well advised. I think that covers the matter.

DocMahns
03-19-2014, 21:17
Truly all the knowledge of the world worth knowing can be found on this site.:)

Haha, I have to agree, I think I learn something new every day visiting this site.

Just Bill
03-19-2014, 21:18
This is a subject that I am allegedly well-equipped to discuss, for reasons that are not exactly a secret. The answer is Knob Creek. Those of you planning a visit anytime soon to Neel Gap are well advised. I think that covers the matter.

Fewer can claim a greater level of expertise.
Sounds like advice best heeded.

bigcranky
03-20-2014, 08:16
I totally agree with Laphroaig and I'll add in Ardbeg...those are great scotches to drink out in the woods in front of a nice campfire.

The Ardbeg 10 is our standard dram, light in color and body with the most amazing peat character. Smells like a campfire in the house when I open it. If you can find the Ardbeg UIGEADAIL I can highly recommend it for special occasions. My wife's favorite seems to be the Caol Ila, which is an unusual dram because more than 90% of their output is sold for blending; only a very small amount is bottled as a single malt. Similar to Ardbeg 10 in color, lots of peat and tar. Very satisfying. It's not avaiable in NC, but we've found it at larger state stores in VA.

I gave my boss a bottle of the Ardbeg 10 as a holiday gift, to celebrate some major advances in our office in 2013 and to give him something different from his usual Highland malt. I told him he'd either love it or hate it, and a couple of weeks ago he confided that while he's tried it several times, he's leaning toward the "not liking it" side. Which is fine, plenty of folks don't like the peaty stuff.

One of my former students brought us a bottle of The Dalmore, a Highland malt aged in sherry casks, similar to the Macallan (which has been in my whisky cabinet for like 5 years because it's okay but not my favorite.) The Dalmore is quite good -- very smooth and sweet with a terrific malt character and a nice, long finish. No peat, of course. Might be a good place to start for someone wanting to move on from the Speyside malts like Glenfiddich or Glenlivet.

Just Bill, if you're still reading this far, you might try the Dalmore, or the Jura. Both are lovely drams, malty and satisfying.

Drybones
03-20-2014, 18:02
It's 5:00 somewhere.

FishyOne
03-20-2014, 19:52
Bulleit Bourbon time Frontier Whiskey

Game Warden
03-20-2014, 19:52
I'm sure everyone has noticed how food tastes better on the trail. Stuff you eat on the trail tastes like manna, but you'd trash it for dinner at home. Same is true for booze, I think.

scudder
03-20-2014, 19:54
Another vote for Knob Creek if it's bourbon you're after. If you're talking single malt, Balvenie deserves mention. So many excellent choices, so little time.

scudder
03-21-2014, 07:46
and another trail you might enjoy-- kybourbontrail.com

Just Bill
03-21-2014, 19:01
Ran across this- first segment is a distillery visit-
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365173981/- BOURBON TRAIL VIDEO

Just Bill
03-21-2014, 19:04
I put the Dalmore on my list Big Cranky.
Knob Creek
Dalmore
WL Weller

I'm sure I can get some knob in a pint size- going to see what other sample sizes I can find before I go too crazy.
Or I'll just go to my rich buddy's house and drink his Johnny Walker Blue...

Berserker
03-25-2014, 13:16

I got into in couple of years ago in my late 30s. It's kinda funny how I got into it too. I was looking for something tasty to just get me nice and relaxed (I'm not a heavy drinker) since I used to carry Everclear and I overdid it one night on that. To answer your other question, whiskey and whisky (and any other beverage for that matter) are a personal preference thing like shoes...or maybe the comparison between Coke and Pepsi is a better one...heck I like both...and RC cola too. Anyway, my recommendation would be to go get some mini bottles of some of easier to find stuff (Knob Creek, Evan Williams, Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, etc.), and decide what you like. Then continue your journey from there.

I put the Dalmore on my list Big Cranky.
Knob Creek
Dalmore
WL Weller
Knob Creek, WL Weller, Evan Williams, Four Roses, Old Grandad...there's a ton of good pours to try. Note that it might help to get a basic understanding of the mashbills used as that might help you zero in on what you like. All bourbons have to be at least 51% corn by definition, and then other "flavoring" grains are used to round out the mashbill. The two main ones are wheat and rye. Wheated mashbills usually result in a softer, smoother (I hate using that word because it's not a good descriptor in my opinion) profile while ryes usually have a spicier, brighter profile. Makers Mark, WL Weller and a few others on the market are made from wheated mashbills, while the vast majority are made from rye mashbills.

Berserker
03-25-2014, 13:26
The Ardbeg 10 is our standard dram, light in color and body with the most amazing peat character. Smells like a campfire in the house when I open it. If you can find the Ardbeg UIGEADAIL I can highly recommend it for special occasions. My wife's favorite seems to be the Caol Ila, which is an unusual dram because more than 90% of their output is sold for blending; only a very small amount is bottled as a single malt. Similar to Ardbeg 10 in color, lots of peat and tar. Very satisfying. It's not avaiable in NC, but we've found it at larger state stores in VA.
I have had Ardbeg Uigeadial, and it's like the 10 year with an added dimension...great stuff. Most scotches would be light in color like Ardbeg if the distillers wouldn't add dang caramel coloring like Laphraoig does...that's one thing I don't like about Laphoraig, but I'll just deal with it because I like thier whisky. Caol Ila is also really good stuff. To me Ardbeg and Laphroaig remind me of a burning campfire, while Caol Ila reminds me more of the smoking embers as the fire is dying out.

bamboo bob
03-25-2014, 13:29
I love glenfiddich and glenlivet, both are very good and are extremely pleasurable to my pallet.

Great stuff but those are Scotch Whisky not Bourbon.

fwish
03-26-2014, 17:08
Something to contemplate on those nights spent out under the stars. Why does Marker's Mark distillery use the word "Whisky" while virtually all other distilleries in the US use the word "Whiskey"? Scottish distilleries seem to use the word "Whisky" as well.

Drybones
03-26-2014, 21:02
Something to contemplate on those nights spent out under the stars. Why does Marker's Mark distillery use the word "Whisky" while virtually all other distilleries in the US use the word "Whiskey"? Scottish distilleries seem to use the word "Whisky" as well.

Would a rose by any other name not smell as sweet?

JansportD2
03-27-2014, 23:17
Since we've strayed a little from bourbon in this thread I'll throw in a plug for rye whiskey. I love me some rye, and I'm heading out on my next hike with some Willett 4 year old.

Rittenhouse bottled in bond rye is my favorite - if you can find it. And it's not expensive.

Berserker
03-28-2014, 11:53
Rittenhouse bottled in bond rye is my favorite - if you can find it. And it's not expensive.
Yep, that's good stuff...have a few bottles in my "collection" (I have a big stash in my basement). The Willet I took on the hike was really good, and I also like High West Rendezvous. I have some other ryes in my collection that were a bit harder to find, and I think I'm gonna start trying some of them such as the Sazerac 18 year rye.

flemdawg1
03-28-2014, 15:33

And thanks again for passing the flask when I came to visit 3 years ago.

Just Bill
03-29-2014, 17:58
Well- checked it out and while I'm not quite there- I suppose if I work at it by 40 I will be a bourbon aficionado as well. The Dalmore was nice enough, but I don't think I'd pursue this style much any time soon.

The Knob- Jack's expertise is not to be questioned! Forgot to mention it is 100 proof though- that's a 25% booze bonus that a UL hiker like me cannot ignore and the higher proof didn't make it any harder to swallow.

I'm not quite ready for the straight and neat route yet but I found this as close to drinkable as can be for me. Two to one with water was quite good- 1-1-1 ice water and knob was perfect. Great with Ginger Ale too. I think this will be a regular item in the home bar and likely on the trail.

I need to head up to Iwan Ries & Co. to obtain a bit of good stuff for my Meerschaum. I think the Knob, a fire, a slab of jerky, and a fine pipe will likely be a fine combo I will enjoy for many a year.

Thanks to all for this thread!

Papa D
03-29-2014, 20:13
holy moley - this thread still exists?
I haven't been here in a while.
What's up everybody.
Heck, maybe I'll have me a little snort just to
celebrate the fact that this thread has been around so
long - - opps, no bourbon - - - maybe a little rum :)

adamkrz
03-29-2014, 20:21
J.B. - I can't stop drooling over that picture..

jimmyjam
03-29-2014, 20:29
Well- checked it out and while I'm not quite there- I suppose if I work at it by 40 I will be a bourbon aficionado as well. The Dalmore was nice enough, but I don't think I'd pursue this style much any time soon.

The Knob- Jack's expertise is not to be questioned! Forgot to mention it is 100 proof though- that's a 25% booze bonus that a UL hiker like me cannot ignore and the higher proof didn't make it any harder to swallow.

I'm not quite ready for the straight and neat route yet but I found this as close to drinkable as can be for me. Two to one with water was quite good- 1-1-1 ice water and knob was perfect. Great with Ginger Ale too. I think this will be a regular item in the home bar and likely on the trail.

I need to head up to Iwan Ries & Co. to obtain a bit of good stuff for my Meerschaum. I think the Knob, a fire, a slab of jerky, and a fine pipe will likely be a fine combo I will enjoy for many a year.

Thanks to all for this thread!

It doesn't get much better than good bourbon and jerky.

Just Bill
03-29-2014, 20:46
It doesn't get much better than good bourbon and jerky.

Gets a little better-Add a fire, a pipe, and a fella with special goggles. That cannot be improved upon.

HikerMom58
03-29-2014, 20:54
holy moley - this thread still exists?
I haven't been here in a while.
What's up everybody.
Heck, maybe I'll have me a little snort just to
celebrate the fact that this thread has been around so
long - - opps, no bourbon - - - maybe a little rum :)

Ha! I was just wondering where you've been when I saw your thread today! Hi Papa D! :D

JansportD2
03-29-2014, 21:42

Whiskey comes from Gaelic - in Scots Gaelic uisge beatha - literally water of life. The spelling used in the UK and Canada is generally "whisky". In Ireland and the US it's usually "whiskey." As you point out there are exceptions. Even the federal law which regulates bourbon, rye and other American whiskeys uses both spellings.

macdaddy
03-29-2014, 21:43

Give Eagle Rare a try. Reminds me of cherry coke!

macdaddy
03-29-2014, 21:49
If bourbon is not your "cup of tea", it's hard to beat a snort of Courvossier VS while sitting around the campfire. I've never had a negative response to an offer of cognac.

FishyOne
03-29-2014, 22:10
Doesn't get much better............

Slack-jawed Trog
03-31-2014, 20:25

You started late, LOL! 12TH MAN we might be related, as an infant my folx treated my sore, teething gums the same way.

For the record: Jim Beam but Old Grandad or Maker's work in a pinch. And Woodford Reserve is nice.

Papa D
03-31-2014, 22:52
If bourbon is not your "cup of tea", it's hard to beat a snort of Courvossier VS while sitting around the campfire. I've never had a negative response to an offer of cognac.

you know there are white blazers (who walk every step of the trail) and blue blazers (that might cut some corner ) and yellow blazers (who blatantly cheat down the yellow lined highway), pink blazers (who chase girls) and green blazers (who support legalization) - also sometimes called "tweed blazers" - - someone who carries Courvossier VS would definitely quality as a PLATINUM blazer. You also skip the hostel and head straight to the Hilton, right? No - just kidding of course - - Cognac is pretty tasty for sure!!!

macdaddy
04-01-2014, 05:54
I only stay at a Hilton if the Ritz-Carlton is full. Of course I am kidding as well. I'm not too picky when it comes to shelter, Just with whom I share it. I'd rather sleep in mouse infested shelter with white blazers than the finest hotel full of plastic people.

Old Grouse
10-22-2014, 13:03
I attended a Laphroaig tasting last night. I surprised myself by liking their Quarter Cask better than the 18 or 25 year. Did you know that for years they've bought all their barrels from Makers Mark?

bigcranky
10-22-2014, 13:21
The Quarter Cask is one of our regular drams, something we try to keep in the cabinet all the time. Great stuff. I have a little of the 18 left, but have never tried the 25.

Scotch Whisky is aged in bourbon barrels, which is convenient since bourbon can only be aged in new oak barrels, so there is a steady supply of willing sellers in Kentucky and willing buyers in Scotland. It would be interesting to know of the impact (if any) of the massive increase in demand for used bourbon barrels from American craft beer makers. I suspect that the recent increase in bourbon production tends to help with that, but I don't know.

Old Grouse
10-22-2014, 13:36
That very thing was discussed, but both Simon Brooking, the "Brand Ambassador," and John Campbell, the Distillery Manager seemed to think their long association with Makers will ensure a proper barrel supply. BTW, Cambell's accent was so thick I had a little difficulty understanding him at first, but after several tastings and toasts, my ears seemed to become accustomed. Funny how that works!

Rocket Jones
10-22-2014, 20:25
I was gifted with a small sample size bottle of Woodford Reserve. I'm not normally a bourbon drinker, but this was very, very good. The only other time I've seen it was on a commercial during the Kentucky Derby.

Frank_the_cat
10-22-2014, 21:08
Man, I just can't stomach the "smokey" flavor of scotch. I love that it is there, I appreciate what it is, but EUGH.

I just love me bourbon that tastes like it should be sweet... that burnt sugar taste without the sweet. mmmmm....

Just Bill
10-22-2014, 21:26
Didn't catch up on all the new posts- but I have to say- That Baltimore Jack makes a fine recommendation-

I think I'm on my 10th bottle of Knob since following his advice.

and at 100 proof it is easy to justify to my UL sensibilities.

kidchill
10-23-2014, 10:01
I'm not a huge fan of bourbon/whiskey spirits, but I have a lot of friends that drink it. I tried some Eagle Rare one night, and I thought it to be a lot better then the usual Makers/Knob stuff. But, as I don't drink the stuff, that was just my opinion. Just throwing it out there if you wanna try something new...

he.who.forgets
10-23-2014, 10:21
It's not technically Bourbon, but more of a Canadian style whiskey (though distilled in Oregon), but I recently fell in love with Pendleton's. Try it out next time you're looking to try something new. It's so damn good.

bigcranky
10-23-2014, 10:29
If you're in North Carolina, there's a "single malt" being made outside Asheville, called Defiant. It's 100% barley malt, aged for sixty days over white oak spirals. The price recently dropped to $40, so I picked up a bottle. It's really interesting -- it's somewhere in the middle between Scotch and Bourbon. Huge vanilla oak flavor, no peat or smoke, but it's nowhere near as sweet as corn or corn/wheat whiskeys. I did not believe it had been aged for only 60 days. Very drinkable.

runt13
10-23-2014, 11:50
my wife and I did the Kentucky bourbon trail last July, it was a great vacation, one of our best! we learned a lot, including I really don't like bourbon. but I recommend the trail to everyone. and Kentucky if beautiful.

my favorite brown liquid is ''the Pinch'' Dimple pinch blended Scotch whiskey

RUNT ''13''

Theosus
10-25-2014, 12:23
I get this stuff from a guy... comes in a mason jar. Technically it's a brandy because it's made from muscadine grapes, not grains. Aged with oak chips. Very nice...