PDA

View Full Version : April NOBO - Clothing Combos

Koozy
01-02-2014, 09:42
Hey everybody,

As my April 3rd NOBO start date approaches I'm having trouble deciding what combination of clothing I will take. I've listed below the clothing that I do have (with weights where known), and would like to know what everyone thinks is appropriate for the start of my hike.

Bottoms
Underwear – Zensah seemless compression shorts
Lightweight Baselayer – Terramar Silkweight Pants
Midweight Baselayer – Coldpruf Platinum Pants (6 oz)
Rain Pants – Columbia Waterproof Pants
Shorts – Prana Hiking Shorts
Shorts – Standard Basketball Shorts
Socks – Darn Tough Socks

Lightweight Baselayer – Underarmour Fitted Long Sleeve Baselayer (7 oz)
Midweight Baselayer – Coldpruf Longsleeve Shirt (7oz)
Long Sleeve Shirt – Columbia Synthetic Button-up Shirt
Short Sleeve Shirt – Terramar Synthetic Helic Crew Shirt
Down Jacket – Go Lite 800 Fill Down Jacket (14 oz)
Insulated Jacket – Columbia Heat Elite Lite Jacket (32 oz)
Rain Jacket – Columbia Watertight Jacket (16 oz)

Everything Else
Shoes – Trail Runners
Gaiters
Hat – Champion Performance Stretch Beanie (1.5 oz)
Camp Shoes – Basic Crocs
Bandana
Knee compression sleeve – Cho-Pat

Koozy
01-02-2014, 10:22
Forgot to mention I also have a couple lightweight fleece half-zips.

CalebJ
01-02-2014, 10:51
That seems like a remarkable amount of clothing, IMO.

I don't have any thru-hiking experience (doing my first section hike this summer), but I've been backpacking for a while. I'd consider something more like this:

Bottoms
Lightweight base layer
Rain shell
Hiking shorts

Lightweight base layer
Midweight (no more than 200 wt) fleece
Rain shell
The down jacket if it's likely that you'll see temps below the mid 20's, not sure in April?
A comfortable hiking shirt

dudeijuststarted
01-02-2014, 10:52
got something to keep your hands warm?

Koozy
01-02-2014, 11:11
That seems like a remarkable amount of clothing, IMO.
I'm not planning to bring all of what I listed....that's just what I have available to pick from. One thing I can't go without are the compression shorts since they're the only thing that keep my legs from chaffing.

got something to keep your hands warm?
Good point, I'll have a pair of waterproof gloves/mittens with me.

CalebJ
01-02-2014, 11:19
I'm not planning to bring all of what I listed....that's just what I have available to pick from. One thing I can't go without are the compression shorts since they're the only thing that keep my legs from chaffing.

Oh, that makes far more sense. Sorry for misreading. If the compression shorts keep you from chafing they're certainly worth the weight.

bigcranky
01-02-2014, 12:34
This is what I take in April:

to hike: lightweight wool base layer, top and bottom. Ultralight single layer wind shirt. Nylon hiking shorts. Rain shell and rain pants. Light gloves and a microfleece beanie. Light wool socks, trail runners.

camp: dry base layer top and bottom, microfleece pullover, down parka, warmer hat and gloves. Dry wool socks for sleeping. Crocs.

The base layers are 150-wt merino wool. I bring short and long sleeved tops, and long johns and boxer briefs -- mix and match as needed for the weather. Try to keep two of the pieces dry inside my pack for camp.

The wind shirt is surprisingly useful in cool or cold conditions. If it's really cold I can hike in the microfleece pullover with the wind shirt over it -- very warm. The rain shell and pants are necessary in a winter storm, and very useful in cold weather in general -- the rain pants are often my only long pants. They are warm over long johns in camp. I just got a pair of eVent waterproof overmitts which I need to start experimenting with, as having cold wet hands is not fun in the late winter.

I think you have what you need, just need to choose what will work for you.