PDA

View Full Version : This ' that...

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2003, 16:02
First off, am very glad to see things back in place here at Whiteblaze. Thanx to Rock and Troll for putting things back on line, and thanx also to Easy for his help in the transition period, and also for getting this site going in the first place.

I hope we haven't lost many folks in the process; I'm sure that by now most, if not all of the membership has been informed of what's going on.....folks might want to consider letting their friends and correspondents know also, so if you participate on other Forums, Mailing Lists, user Groups, etc., it might not hurt to send them a message letting folks know fer sure what's been happening here, as there may still be some confusion in some parts as to how things finally got resolved, and where people should actually be posting.

Enough of that....the important thing is that the site is back, and that folks are aware of this; now we can move on to building and improving the site so that it continues to grow and improve; the main purpose of this site is to exchange useful information regarding the Trail; we're off to a great new start, and I hope to see even more folks joining and participating, especially the newer members, and even more especially the quiet ones! If you've any questions or problems, and especially if you're hiking this year, now's the time to speak up!

Lastly, several folks have asked me about the Maildrop/Re-Supply information that was previously posted here; I'm in the process of retrieving this information, and as soon as I do so, it'll get sent back here so Rock can re-post it, along with revisions and editions for 2003. With any luck, this info will be posted within a few days; if anyone absolutely needs it right away, they can find another version of it at www.trailquest.net/atresupply.html or they can write me at [email protected] Otherwise, I'm sure it'll be back here in the "Articles" section within days.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2003, 16:13
Oh, forgot one thing. While we're on the subject of letting folks know that the site is back in business, perhaps someone can let the good folks at Trailplace know! While I'm sure the TP administration was absolutely delighted at reports of our demise, I think it'd be great if the folks who go there were informed of Whiteblaze's rebirth, and were invited to check us out.....of course anyone with the temerity to issue this invitation will undoubtedly be immediately banned from Trailplace, but it's a small price to pay in order to let people know about a site where they can learn, contribute, and freely and openly discuss Trail issues and concerns.

Ann
01-09-2003, 16:29
I actually sent an email to Trailplace asking to be reinstated. I also asked that my comment be reposted with the whiteblaze address retained. I asked quite nicely and added that I felt it would be beneficial for members there to have additional resources. I have not received a response, but you never know, I thought it would be worth a try.

Jack Tarlin
01-09-2003, 16:54
Yeah, and someday soon pigs will fly, but I would not advise you to hold your breath while waiting. Anyone who doesn't want his people to check out the A.T.C. or ALDHA informational websites will hardly be eager to send his folks here. Good lord, I can't really understand this.....what is so threatening and dangerous about folks actually exchanging and receiving information at a multitude of sites, instead of just one? The better informed people are, presumably the better prepared they'll be for their hike. I really hate to say it, but it seems apparent to me that anyone who is NOT an advocate of helping people get their information from varied and separate sources could hardly be viewed as someone who is genuinely interested in helping people get well informed. The way I see it, the more places people go to learn, the better off they'll be; it appears evident, tho, that not everyone in our community shares this philosophy.

Ann
01-11-2003, 19:48
Jack Tarlin wrote:

I would not advise you to hold your breath while waiting

I believe you are right. I just passed my week anniversary of being ousted from his site, (btw, a toast to all of you who have been kicked off his site by trying to help others there), and it has now been a week since I sent him an email requesting reinstatement and a repost of my deleted message that had the Whiteblaze address.

Gee, he didn't even bother to send me a "Dear John" letter!!!

:mad:

The Weasel
01-11-2003, 21:10
Three things about Trailplace:

(1) Dan Bruce is aware of WhiteBlaze, and is almost certainly a member. In conversations with him through his mailing list, he mentioned a few times my involvement here. I encourage Dan to be a public member here, as there cannot, in my mind, be too many people of good will towards the AT, or too many places for them to congregate.

(2) I don't like seeing flaming about anyone. It gives me a sad feeling, regardless of the extent to which it may be deserved, in the writer's opinion. It adds nothing to the lore and wisdom of the AT, specifically, and is not helpful to anyone in planning. Emphasizing divisiveness just doesn't go anywhere, in my opinion.

(3) Trailplace, and Dan Bruce, do a lot of things that I disagree with, and, for that matter, so does almost everyone on this planet, including the guy I see in the mirror when I shave. Unlike the guy in the mirror, and maybe a few others around here, Dan has made real contributions to the Trail, and seeks to continue doing so. I wish he would change in some ways, but then I hope for my own redemption sometime before the afterlife, but neither one is a condition for friendship or, at least, courtesy among all of us.

Let's talk about the fun of the Trail, the delight of different people, and how to meld the two.

The Weasel

slabfoot
01-11-2003, 22:04
sooner or later i can count on someone expressing my opinions in a manner more coherant than i seem able to. thanks.

bill

Wander Yonder
01-11-2003, 22:59
Weasel, just want to say how much I respect and appreciate your thoughts. Hope I meet you on the trail someday. :)

Moose2001
01-11-2003, 23:10
Amazing!! First thing I've hever heard a lawyer say that actually makes sense! Good call The Weasel.

EarlyRiser
01-12-2003, 00:11
id like to stand up for the guy in the mirror. i think he has done some wonderful things for the trial. he has shared his wisdom with all of us, and it has been some great wisdom too.

Lugnut
01-12-2003, 01:39
It's about time you showed back up! Were you holding your breath till you turned blue in the face?:D

Lone Wolf
01-12-2003, 02:56
Mr. Weasel. How long have you known DB? How long have you been hiking on the AT? Please list Dan's "real contributions to the Trail" He is just a hiker. I know more than you. BUT. I agree. Let's talk about the fun and delightfulness of the trail.

Bandana Man
01-12-2003, 12:52
Weasel, I second your sentiments about being courteous to those we disagree with. I'm afraid if we engage in name-calling and flaming of WF and TP, then that attitude may spill over in our responses to each other when we disagree.

When I meet any of you on the trail, my hope is each of us will remember some helpful tip or funny story about the AT that we shared on Whiteblaze. It would be a shame to meet each other face-to-face and the first thought we have upon hearing the other's trail name is some thoughtless insult or flame-mail that was exchanged here.

Kerosene
01-12-2003, 16:26
Wait a sec, since when did The Weasel take a razor to that Santa Claus-like beard?

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of meeting this unique personality, he had made a personal commitment to not shave it off until he reached Katahdin. He still has a thousand miles to go and is slowly heading north. When I had lunch with him in sunny Ann Arbor last summer he was being pressured by his daughter to get rid of it before her upcoming wedding. Did you cave in, Weasel?

smokymtnsteve
01-12-2003, 21:47
yea weasel...did you break down weasel.???did ya tell'em that the cops hassled you in Cherokee???

The Weasel
01-13-2003, 20:34
A moment of silence, please. Reverent silence. (Yeah, Steve, you can be quiet now, too. Take out your hearing aid!) Yes, it is true...

The beard is gone.

For those of you who have daughters or are daughters, you will understand why, when that sweet little (29 year old) girl says, "Dad, you can grow it back when you restart the trail AFTER my wedding," you get out the Burma Shave.

For those of you who don't, ah, it would take too long to explain. Trust me on it, though!

The Weasel

PS: Hey Wolfie...Dan Bruce, over the last five years, has given me and a lot of others friendship, a damn useful book, a place to get a lot of very valuable advice and information, and helped focus a lot of us on keeping the Trail wonderful. He's also a pain in the butt, opinionated, and spent his own money on a forum and is entitled to go to hell in a handbasket any way he wants to, since it's his nickel. I respect him, as well as those who disagree with him, and I'd enjoy walking with him...and you. As I regrow my beard. Damn, I miss that beard! Now I even LOOK like a weasel!

Lone Wolf
01-13-2003, 21:26
Yo Weasely. I got your Wolfie hangin. Just kiddin. Your chances of walking with me are 100 times better than walking with Danny boy. He doesn't hike. See ya on the trail.