PDA

View Full Version : Do You Need a Sleeping Bag Liner?

AttorneyAtLunch
01-02-2014, 17:05
Is it necessary?

fredmugs
01-02-2014, 17:13
Nooooooooo

Mumbles_2014
01-02-2014, 18:14
I was always told that it is for the best so your sleeping bag doesn't get disgusting. I just "made" one out of some thin synthetic liner at a fabric store, only costed about $9. Was not about to spend $75 on a sea to summit silk one, even if its lighter and more comfortable.

Slo-go'en
01-02-2014, 18:28
You don't NEED one, but I find it nice to have.

Paul the Brit
01-02-2014, 19:15
Need=no but it does save the inside of your bag! can be washed easy in towns/hostels etc and can be used on its own on hot days. I use a Salt Designs cotton bag liner (I find silk smells quickly).

bamboo bob
01-02-2014, 19:20
Need , no. It gives you another 5 degrees of warmth though (At least "they" say so) Easy to keep the bag clean, etc. Very light addition , I used a Cacoon, light and warm but the silk ones need to be babied in the laundry. the cotton ones work great but twice the ounces.

MuddyWaters
01-02-2014, 20:00
There are many items you can bring which offer minor benefits relative to their weight.
A sleeping bag liner is only one of them.

It really comes down to your gear philosophy
Some will bring items like that, some wont.

What is true however, is that you cant bring everything you think might be beneficial in some way.
You have to choose what is best for you. No one else can.

johnnybgood
01-02-2014, 20:55
It's not a necessity .
It can however bridge the gap adding extra layer of warmth.
So it goes without saying, it depends on your sleep system beliefs

squeezebox
01-03-2014, 04:19
Even in summer I have to have a sheet covering me, and socks. so it's what you're comfortable with. Not to mention keeping your bag clean, particularly if it's down.
Someone said that a bag liner can wrap around you like a straight jacket.

ChinMusic
01-03-2014, 04:37
No. I find absolutely no advantage of one. My sleeping bags looked good after a thru. I would rather spend the extra weight on clothing.

daddytwosticks
01-03-2014, 08:12
Too much of a restless sleeper to use one. Just bring some clean sleep clothing such as an extra base layer. You'll get warmth plus keep your sleeping bag clean. Dual use as extra insulation you can use while not in the sleeping bag. :)

garlic08
01-03-2014, 08:26
Too much of a restless sleeper to use one.

Yep, I was just going to say the same thing. Try it before you commit to a long hike with it--it may not work for you. I'm not even that restless a sleeper and I couldn't stand the thing. Also, try out extra clothes in the bag. When I wear my jacket in my bag, I'm colder due to constriction of motion. It works fine for others.

As far as sleeping bag funk goes, it would be nice to have a liner to wash, that's for sure. But it's a trade-off, if you're counting the ounces.

LAF
01-03-2014, 12:07
I get all tied up in the darn things, especially silk. Always ended up "kicking" it off in frustration and leaving it at the bottom of the bag - worked for an additional foot warmer :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2014, 12:10
Just bring some clean sleep clothing such as an extra base layer. You'll get warmth plus keep your sleeping bag clean. Dual use as extra insulation you can use while not in the sleeping bag. :) +1 A lightweight base layer with clean socks does double duty and won't wrap up and tangle around you.

Spirit Walker
01-03-2014, 12:12
I tried one before I started my thruhike, and, because I tend to toss and turn a lot before falling asleep, I got so wrapped up in it I couldn't move, then almost panicked because I couldn't get out of my bag. Yes, my bag stinks, but that's better than the claustrophobia I felt when I was trapped by a silk liner.

Nooga
01-03-2014, 14:02
Too much of a restless sleeper to use one. Just bring some clean sleep clothing such as an extra base layer. You'll get warmth plus keep your sleeping bag clean. Dual use as extra insulation you can use while not in the sleeping bag. :)

Agree. Bring sleep clothes.

Dogwood
01-03-2014, 16:46
For everyone who says they get all wrapped up in their nefarious silk sleeping bag liners and hates them PM me, I'll give you my address. I'm accepting donated silk liners. They really suck don't those silk liners? way to heavy too? added warmth is total BS too. :D

Some of you must have some fitful sleep habits.

Dogwood
01-03-2014, 16:49
It's not a necessity .
It can however bridge the gap adding extra layer of warmth.
So it goes without saying, it depends on your sleep system beliefs

That's funny - sleep system beliefs. :D

bamboo bob
01-03-2014, 17:08
For everyone who says they get all wrapped up in their nefarious silk sleeping bag liners and hates them PM me, I'll give you my address. I'm accepting donated silk liners. They really suck don't those silk liners? way to heavy too? added warmth is total BS too. :D

Some of you must have some fitful sleep habits.

Why didn't I think of that.

illabelle
01-03-2014, 17:43
I tried out the silk liner for the first time early this week. It did seem a bit warmer. But I do turn from side to side a lot, and every turn involves adjusting the liner and other clothing I use in the bag to stay warm, so I'm not sold yet. I do like the idea of keeping the bag cleaner. Think maybe I'll try it out at home in bed and see how I like it there...

Lucy Lulu
01-03-2014, 18:11
I agree with what others have said. I have one set of clothes I hike in, and a light we pair of running shorts and shirt I sleep in. I've used the liners, but always get tangled and uncomfortable.

Blissful
01-03-2014, 21:23
I did like having my silk liner as a back up esp long distance hiking in case of abrupt weather changes. It helped a great deal.

ChinMusic
01-03-2014, 22:47
What the heck is the benefit of a liner over clothing? Isn't camp clothing just a liner with leg and arm holes?

daddytwosticks
01-04-2014, 13:43
What the heck is the benefit of a liner over clothing? Isn't camp clothing just a liner with leg and arm holes? Agreed! Very pithy. :)

AttorneyAtLunch
01-06-2014, 14:37
Very helpful advice, thanks guys. It takes me quite a few turns to get comfortable in my sleep so I think I'm going without the liner.

jdc5294
01-06-2014, 16:45
What the heck is the benefit of a liner over clothing? Isn't camp clothing just a liner with leg and arm holes?
I had a liner for the first week before realizing this.

Dogwood
01-06-2014, 18:07

Maybe, nothing. Personally, I don't look at a liner as an either/or proposition though. In other words, as if it's either a liner or sleep clothing choice. I tend to like keeping my options open and combine/integrate gear using several options simultaneously. When really pushing the comfortable sleeping lower temp limit I'll use both sleeping clothing AND a liner to acheive my goal rather than solely using a liner OR sleeping clothing. I think of each as each having their benefits and potential negatives. I think it worth mentioning that I regularly push the temp rating of my sleeping bags and quilts 10*+ below their comfortable temp rating so I think when doing that I NEED BOTH a silk liner AND greater insulation by wearing sleeping clothes. This may not be what most backpackers do though.

I typically don't have a separate set of dedicated only for sleeping clothes anyway. My hiking clothes are my sleeping clothes. But, I do normally carry say a light wt down/Primaloft vest, two merino wool tees or a tee and a long sleeved merino shirt, wind/rain jacket, thermal bottoms in winter, merino wool beanie, nylon running gloves, two prs of merino socks, etc so I almost always have something dry and clean(er) to change into for sleeping.

I'm not going to repeat all that I've said on other threads but I'm one who also tosses and turns from side to side all night long and use very narrow mummy cut UL thermally efficient sleeping bags/quilts, yet I don't find myself getting wrapped up in a Cocoon or Sea to Summit 100% Silk rectangular or mummy shaped liner. IMHO, I think the 100% silk or perhaps smooth polyester liners are slipperier and have less tendency to "grab" than the heavier wt and heavier material cotton or fleece liners. I'm sure what one wears into a sleeping bag/sleeping bag liner, individual body and sleeping bag measurements( sleeping bag fit), how one specifically tosses and turns, etc can all factor into one getting "wrapped up" in a liner too.

What it comes down to is doing what's right for you and NOT simply adhering to a one size fits all one approach is best for all ideal. In the real backpacking world(not this keyboard cyber world one) this idea of "this is how it's done" is not how things really work. There's plenty of room for individuality in the REAL backpacking world. Find what works FOR YOU.