PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ruck

StarLyte
01-03-2014, 13:10
Hello Everyone.....

The Northern Ruck, previously known as the PA Ruck, will take place at Bears Den Hostel (http://www.bearsdencenter.org/): 18393 Blue Ridge Mountain Rd, Bluemont, VA 20135
(540) 554-8708, January 31st thru February 2. The hostel opens it's doors at 4pm on that Friday. You can attend a day before like some people do, just make your reservation according.

Any reservations needed must be directly made with the hostel.

This is a potluck event. If you plan on attending, please bring food, supplies :eek:. You can post what you'd like to bring here, or on Facebook. It's important that this is followed as the Ruck is not a charity but an organized event :-?.

If you have interests of doing a presentation, announcement or anything hiking related, please contact:

Mike Wingheart - the new coordinator of the Ruck !
Email: [email protected]
Cell: 443-791-9196

We invite you to help set up, cook, donate, and just about anything that needs to be done at a hiking event. Consider yourself welcome, this is open to the public.

Keep in mind, the Ruck's goal is to educate the hiking mind in a non-political, non-religious atmosphere.

This is a non-profit event.

Thank you - and hope to see you there! Bears Den is beautiful in the winter!

Sincerely,
StarLyte

Lauriep
01-22-2014, 23:31
The website www.paruck.com is up and running again! There are also a bunch of Facebook pages for it, but I think "The Northern Ruck" is the most current/active one.

Lauriep
01-22-2014, 23:44
An A.T. corridor boundary volunteer work trip is being offered as part of The Northern Ruck on Saturday (February 1) from 10 - 4.

No experience is necessary; beginners are welcome. Dress warmly in layers with a hat, gloves and blaze orange. Glasses or goggles aren't a bad idea for areas where there are a lot of small limbs that could poke your eyes. Work will be clipping vegetation or using a hand saw. For those of you who are hikers who having never done boundary work but considering it, bring an extra layer. You move more slowly than when you are hiking and don't generate as much heat. The work is off-trail, so the terrain is more rugged than the A.T. itself, so choose your footwear accordingly.

Bring water and lunch. Tools provided or you can bring your own (no chainsaws, please). Meet at Bears Den Trail Center at 10 am (we'll return at 4pm). Dick Potteiger and Larry Dykes will leading the trip; it be in Duke Hollow (Dick's and my section) and or Rod Hollow (Larry Dykes' section). This is in Potomac A.T. Club territory and the volunteer hours will be reported to PATC.

Advance registration is not required, but if you think you are coming post here or send an email to dickandlaurie at frontiernet.net.

Dogwood
01-23-2014, 00:24
...educating the hiking mind in a non-political, non-religious atmosphere at a not for financial profit - event

Sounds like my kind of event. Can I bring incense?