PDA

View Full Version : 2 week section hike

mhaddon
01-03-2014, 21:04
My husband are planning our first section hike for 2 week timeframe, can be a little longer/shorter. We are planning on starting slower. We don't mind a challenge and love camping, hiking, and being outdoors. So what is the best section with best views? I don't want to hit the whites, but I'd like to save some of the very easy sections for when our kids are a bit older to tag along. I have a friend that lives in Maine and has offered shuttling, drops, and help in any way. Which makes an easier section in that area very tempting. This isn't something we'd have in any other section. So any section in Maine that wouldn't be killer, but still fun with some great sights? I don't mind doing less miles in an area if it's worth it :) This would be in mid-June to mid-July.

HighLiner
01-03-2014, 21:15
Maine is so hard. Go to Virginia, pay for a shuttle and walk back to your car. Lots of towns to resupply. Hiking is much easier. I've hiked the entire trail less Monson to Katadhin in this manner. Your first section hike stands a better chance of success if you stay away from the hardest parts and you will want to come back

hikerboy57
01-03-2014, 21:24
monson to katahdin is exactly the section i would recommend, with a planned food drop at kathdin iron works rd and a stay at white house landing.although it can be done in7 or 8 days, you can take two weeks and take your time, wont be so difficult..its the easiest part of maine although its still tougher than most of the south.its beautiful

HighLiner
01-03-2014, 21:26
I like that, the section I haven't completed! Thanks

Blissful
01-03-2014, 21:28
I think the hundred mile wilderness is tough, esp the Chairback Range. And water crossings and bugs can be a real challenge. If this is your first section hike, I'd go elsewhere, in all honesty.

hikerboy57
01-03-2014, 21:32
I like that, the section I haven't completed! Thanksyer gonna love it when you do.

hikerboy57
01-03-2014, 21:33
last year the bugs were bad everywhere june/july.im hoping for better this year

mhaddon
01-03-2014, 22:49
Thanks guys! I'm listening :) I know parts of Maine are very tough. My friend is a teacher and one of her student's parents own that hostel and she knows them very well. She would be able to do a drop off and pick up for us. She suggested Monson to Katahdin too. She said July would be better for lower water levels and less black flies (although she said they were bad all last year).

What part of Virginia would be recommended?

HikerMom58
01-03-2014, 22:53
Thanks guys! I'm listening :) I know parts of Maine are very tough. My friend is a teacher and one of her student's parents own that hostel and she knows them very well. She would be able to do a drop off and pick up for us. She suggested Monson to Katahdin too. She said July would be better for lower water levels and less black flies (although she said they were bad all last year).

What part of Virginia would be recommended?

Central Virginia....:D Come see the ponies in the Grayson Highlands!

mhaddon
01-03-2014, 22:55
I'd like to keep the grayson highlands area for a few years to take my kids with me :)
I'm also not too keen on Shenandoah during a peak vacation time.

mhaddon
01-03-2014, 22:56
I am thinking a few years, my youngest daughter will be 4 so I want to do that in probably three years? She will be able to carry a small pack by then and we can just enjoy that section as a family. It is very tempting though!

mhaddon
01-03-2014, 22:59
Ok other option, what about the section out of the smokey mtns north? Through Hot springs, NC. I have a friend outside Asheville I'm sure that would help drive us back in that section too...
What is the terrain like for a first timer?

HikerMom58
01-03-2014, 23:10
Ok other option, what about the section out of the smokey mtns north? Through Hot springs, NC. I have a friend outside Asheville I'm sure that would help drive us back in that section too...
What is the terrain like for a first timer?

I did that section my first time out backpacking... I LOVED it! The terrain isn't bad at all. It's awesome!

If you choose Central VA like through Daleville. I'm here for shuttles. McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs, Blue Ridge Parkway...it's nice too! It's a hard decision but fun to plan it all out! :)

mhaddon
01-03-2014, 23:17
I know, I think maybe once I get a book it will help. lol. Reading so much the past few years has helped. I've done large chunks of the trail with my 3 year old daughter on my back. So I'm hoping it will feel a bit similar, lol. If we decide to do Central VA I will let you know for sure! The Blue Ridge Parkway was on the short list too :)

HikerMom58
01-03-2014, 23:25
I know, I think maybe once I get a book it will help. lol. Reading so much the past few years has helped. I've done large chunks of the trail with my 3 year old daughter on my back. So I'm hoping it will feel a bit similar, lol. If we decide to do Central VA I will let you know for sure! The Blue Ridge Parkway was on the short list too :)

The book will make help you understand the trail & put it all into perspective. I love my Awol book.

You'll have a good time whatever you decide. Let me know if you decide to do Central VA. I'll help you out all I can.

Nice that you've done large chunks of the trail already with your 3 year old. That's sweet! :)

mhaddon
01-04-2014, 13:49
Yes I have four children and they love the AT as much as we do, we go on a nature hike almost daily as part of school. My 8 year old can ID almost every tree on our farm, plus wild edibles, weeds, etc. He's a big hunter already putting food on the table. I want to do a thru hike as a family when they are teens and do some sections, but as overnight trail section my husband and I wanted to go first. It's a lot different messing up with the two of you versus two of you and even one child. I couldn't imagine having no experience and taking my kids with my overnight. Before we always went for the day on busier sections.