PDA

View Full Version : A Great Map For SPOT Users!

Wired
01-04-2014, 19:27
If you are using a SPOT on the trail, there is a cool site that will post your SPOT check-ins on a communal map so that your family/friends can see where you are along the trail when you choose to use the check-in feature. It also shows where you are in relation to other hikers also signed up on this site. It is fun and also keeps a storage of every check-in you make along the trail (SPOTS usually only keep the last 7 check-ins). Great to look back on and see what you've traveled from one check-in to the next. I was even able to embed it to my blog so followers could easily relate my day's post to where I was on the map. If you want to see how I embedded the map for the CDT last summer, here is the link.
http://www.walkingwithwired.com/p/wheres-erin_26.html
I'll soon be changing it to the AT map:) Here is the link for those that are interested in registering. It's free and they do take donations for the service.
http://www.trackleaders.com/at

SunnyWalker
01-07-2014, 13:37
Hey Wired: How long do the batts last (Lithium) if you have it on so that the Spot device indicates your position every 15 minutes? Thanks. -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
01-07-2014, 13:57
Wired: I think I answered my own question. According to Spot webpage-
Continuous clear sky-up to 7 days.
Cloudy sky-up to 3 1/2 days.
This is using the lithium AAA batts.
I used a Spot on CDT last April. I unknowingly let the batts run out as it was on continuous tracking. I had the border patrol out looking as a panicked spouse back home panicked. At the time I was in the yard of Sam at Hachita. I saw a border patrol helicopter go over, and numerous BP Vehicles pulling quads go by. Later they all converged on Sam's yard as I was taking a nap. We had quite a reunion and they were great guys. So this year if I use continuous tracking I'll have to keep a watch on that aspect, heh, heh. Planning on starting middle of April (2014). :)

Wired
01-11-2014, 03:09
SunnyWalker,
That's quite a story, ha! Sorry for the delayed response...still figuring out this Whiteblaze thing...I've never kept the tracking on and actually found out the subscription is a lot cheaper w/out the tracking. I just pressed mine once a day and I'm pretty sure I didn't change batteries the whole CDT. If I did, it was just once out of precaution which is just crazy to me that it lasts so long. I do wish there was a way to know the battery level like on a GPS though. Happy Trails:)