PDA

View Full Version : So, 2014 Northbounders Started?

Ron Haven
01-04-2014, 22:20
I hear they are 2014 heading north now? :D

Slo-go'en
01-05-2014, 00:37
Let us know when they start to show up and how long they stay once they get there :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2014, 00:44
I hear they are 2014 heading north now? :D
The pitter-patter of little boots and room revenue coming up the trail.

Ron Haven
01-05-2014, 03:17
I may need to be buying tags and insurance for vans and the bus soon huh?

doritotex
01-05-2014, 08:02
Stupid fools are going to freeze to death once they hit the Smokies.

Egads
01-05-2014, 09:37
Was single digits in the GA mtns yesterday morning. I got in a SOBO day hike yesterday around Trey but didn't pass any thru hikers. Saw only one hiker carrying a full pack, but he was on an overnighter.

Ron Haven
01-05-2014, 18:43
I had a friend rescue some from Wayah Bald a couple of days ago..

Son Driven
01-05-2014, 19:33
It is a matter of gear and pace. Your pack is heavier with added cold weather gear, miles per day are less, requiring more day's between resupply, thus making your pack even heavier with food. Then even while at rest your body burns more calories staving of hypothermia, thus requiring even more food. Your mind set all changes, a big day is 10 miles, not like 20 miles in the summer. Your AT thru-hike is no longer a 5-6 month adventure, but an 8-9 month adventure. It is all good if you go into it with the right gear and mind set. This is not a hike for the stove-less ultra lighters.

Prime Time
01-05-2014, 22:04
Unless you are just wanting to do some extreme weather long distance hiking, I never could see the win in this. It's not likely to gain you nearly as much time as you think because your milage is cut in half, or less, and you will take a beating requiring time off the trail to recuperate mentally and physically. On my thru hike last year I started on March 27 and can't tell you how many hikers I passed that started in late February, or earlier. It's not that I'm at all fast, they were just beat up by the winter weather. Maybe you'll get lucky and avoid bad weather but certainly not if you start in January or even February. Not gonna happen.

Slo-go'en
01-05-2014, 23:24
If this turns into the coldest winter in 20 years, a lot of people will either put off starting or not get very far. At the very least, I bet there will be a lot of big storms this season. Guess we'll know when it's all over...

Chair-man
01-06-2014, 00:03
I think an early start is possible to complete a thru. You just have to plan on laying up when the real cold stuff hits just like you would if a major snow storm or long periods of heavy are coming. Certainly, there are plenty of good hiking days in the south during the winter months. After this cold snap passes things start to look pretty good. > 10 day forecast for north Georgia (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Suches+GA+30572:4:US).

Dahoyt
01-06-2014, 11:16
Dakota Joe is supposed to be starting soon... wonder how that will go ;)

RED-DOG
01-06-2014, 11:36
It takes a total different kind of hiker to hike in winter than summer,you got to know how to take care of yourself, you got to know what foods to eat a hiker don't eat the same foods in winter than he would in summer, on all three of my thru's i started in mid February, most days i would be on the trail by 7:00 am and hike to almost dark and i would do between 16-20mpd and i hiked thru really bad snow storms below zero temps, i remember in 2006 their was almost 4ft of snow in the GSMNP and i hiked thru the park by myself cause i really think i was the only person in the park at that time and still completed the trail in less than 5 months, this kind of wheather isn't for the Ultra-light winnies if you don't know what you are doing stay home until spring, Yes Ron you better get the van ready cause they are coming.

Son Driven
01-06-2014, 12:02
Unless you are just wanting to do some extreme weather long distance hiking, I never could see the win in this. It's not likely to gain you nearly as much time as you think because your milage is cut in half, or less, and you will take a beating requiring time off the trail to recuperate mentally and physically. On my thru hike last year I started on March 27 and can't tell you how many hikers I passed that started in late February, or earlier. It's not that I'm at all fast, they were just beat up by the winter weather. Maybe you'll get lucky and avoid bad weather but certainly not if you start in January or even February. Not gonna happen.

Yes Prime Time, I was probably among-st the early starting beat up North Bounder's you passed by. However, in a perverted kind of way I drew strength from knowing that the day's of frost bite and hypothermia where now behind me.

Prime Time
01-06-2014, 15:28
Yes Prime Time, I was probably among-st the early starting beat up North Bounder's you passed by. However, in a perverted kind of way I drew strength from knowing that the day's of frost bite and hypothermia where now behind me.
Hey Son Driven, I remember seeing you somewhere around Vermont, if my memory serves me correct. My trail name is Dip 'n Sip. You looked to be doing just fine!

Son Driven
01-06-2014, 16:05
Hey Son Driven, I remember seeing you somewhere around Vermont, if my memory serves me correct. My trail name is Dip 'n Sip. You looked to be doing just fine!
Oh yes, I remember you. I believe our paths crossed a couple times. In Vermont I would have been south bound, and that would have been our last encounter. I escaped the poison ivy in PA by going up to Katahdin on 7/4. And then Hiking back to Swatara Gap where I had gotten off. Took me seven months to the day to complete the AT. I think you were at the hostel in Troutdale, VA when I was there.

jdc5294
01-06-2014, 16:30
Started on Feb. 19th in 2012 and finished in 5.5 months, the Smokies were definitely cold but it was an awesome experience hiking in the snow and the cold, once you get warmed up it's still shorts and tshirt for most of the day and you just learn to move fast once you get to the shelter with dinner and such. I'd sit at the picnic table in my sleeping bag and huddle close to the pocket rocket as I cooked. Doesn't get any better then that. Next time I do it I think I'll start mid-late January. But it takes a special mindset to enjoy that I guess.

Jeff
01-06-2014, 18:33
Met NOBO thruhiker Hawk today at Mountain Crossings....brutal outdoors but he was smartly waiting it out. I believe he said that he also thru'ed in 2004.

jdc5294
01-06-2014, 18:38
Met NOBO thruhiker Hawk today at Mountain Crossings....brutal outdoors but he was smartly waiting it out. I believe he said that he also thru'ed in 2004.
10 year anniversary with the trail that's awesome

Ron Haven
01-06-2014, 18:56
Jeff, this will be the 10 year anniversary of the April Hiker Fool Bash in Franklin. Hope you attended the 1st one and maybe come back for the 10th one. Yes, Red Dog. I am getting those vans and bus ready. Getting new inspections, tags, insurance, batteries, and making sure the heaters are working good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josh Calhoun
01-08-2014, 22:41
I couldn't think of a better time to start than mid FEB. yes we had zero degree temps, yes we had waist deep snow. yes we had weeks of freezing temps and i saw snow all the way past damascus. iv just got a little better story to tell! Ron haven rescued my group of 8 with his tour bus. one of my best memories of the trail! thanks for what you do ron. i heard some rumors later on into the trail. obviously there not true. thanks for what you do for us buddy! Rash NOBO feb17-AUG19 2013