PDA

View Full Version : Bus Route from Partnership Shelter

buzz48843
01-05-2014, 11:51
I would like to do a Mail Drop at the post office in Sugar Grove or Marion, VA. I noticed that there is a bus that picks up at the Mt.Rogers HQ.
Does anyone know if it would be better to have a mail drop at the Sugar Grove or the Marion post offices for access from the bus?
Thanks!

johnnybgood
01-05-2014, 14:19
The best option is taking the cheap public shuttle into the town of Marion from Mt. Rogers HQ ( Partnership Shelter).
Marion has several grocery stores so there isn't a need to send a food drop as it might be further along up the trail, say Atkins.
I'm not sure whether this ever came to frution, but the post office in Sugar Grove had been targeted for a cutback on operating hours a couple years ago when the USPS looked at ways to save money.

Slo-go'en
01-05-2014, 16:49
You have to call to get the bus to come and it will only do that at certian times of the day and it might not be everyday, so your timing has to be good. I just hitch into Marion and call a taxi to get back. That way I don't have to keep to someone elses schedual.

Marion is a good stop with several chain grocery stores, a walmart, every kind of fast food you can name, laudramat, a Mexican resturant, a reasonably priced motel (but all the way on the other end of town) and a Grayhound station if you want to get out of Dodge. I've started or ended many a trip there due to the close proximity of the Grayhound station to the trail.

Oh yea, Marion is also where Dr. Pepper was invented. There is a plack on the side of a building near the railroad tracks with this historical note on it.

bigcranky
01-05-2014, 17:56
If you want to take the public transit option, then Marion is where it will take you.

oldwetherman
01-05-2014, 22:05
IMHO, Marion, Virginia has the best transportation system of any town near the trail.

buzz48843
01-06-2014, 17:57
Thanks everyone for the great info! Sounds like an option to resupply in town.

SawnieRobertson
01-06-2014, 22:50
Thanks everyone for the great info! Sounds like an option to resupply in town.

Infinity, the better choice of post offices (although Sugar Grove is still operating but with limited hours) is at Marion. The wiliest way to handle this is to contact your old cyberhiking compadre Kinnickinic, who lives 5 miles from Partnership and 10 from Marion. I will pick you up and slack pack you however you would like. Just think of this as the area to give your knee a break. Please PM me your thoughts on this.--Sawnie (Kinnickinic)