PDA

View Full Version : Butter flavored crisco?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-30-2005, 22:23
I've used olive oil, but it makes some things taste a wee bit strange. Has anyone carried butter flavored crisco on the trail?

neo
08-30-2005, 22:33
I've used olive oil, but it makes some things taste a wee bit strange. Has anyone carried butter flavored crisco on the trail?
yuk:cool: neo

fiddlehead
08-30-2005, 23:04
Sure, Butter Flavored Crisco is a lot cheaper than fake butter and tastes about the same. I think it's basically the same thing. I've carried it, but you must make sure you have a leakproof container. (the small nalgenes that backpacking stores sell work ok) Olive oil would be much healthier for you although on a thru-hike, you don't have to worry about eating healthy. Your body will consume just about anything.

Sid T
08-31-2005, 11:21
We use, butter flavored crisco, all the time. Backpacking ( 5 wks. on AT), car camping (10,000 miles) this year. Also keep it on the boat. Works good for cooking or as a spread. I get the size that has 4 small packs in it and then only have to use a good zip-bag.

Newb
08-31-2005, 12:18
I prefer Crisco flavored Butter.

stupe
08-31-2005, 20:52
Crisco is hydrogenated vegetable oil, and even though it's cholesterol free, it makes your good cholesterol go down and your bad cholesterol go up. I'd go for the olive oil, it's better for your heart. Try different types, like virgin, extra virgin, they even make "lite" olive oil, til you find one that doesn't have that taste you say you don't like. Anything but Crisco. They even warn you on the Crisco label " Not to be used as a spread on crackers or bread".

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-31-2005, 21:48
Excellent points re: hydrogenated oils. I don't eat them off the trail, but am a bit more flexible about my diet on the the trail because I'm pretty much burning all the fuel I put in. I carry olive oil, but wondered about butter flavored crisco for things traditionally eaten with butter.

stupe
09-01-2005, 09:11
F. Dinosaur, I eat the stuff too-it makes a pretty good pie crust, and it's in all those Drakes snack cakes that I love. I just started carrying olive oil last year, and I have a crusader mentality now.
I have no links to it, but I remember reading an article about a through hiker who went for a checkup, and his cholesterol was sky high. ( The doctor actually asked the guy if he got enough exercise, which was pretty funny.)
It was thought that all the peanut butter, Liptons Noodles, and stuff like that was the culprit, they all contain hydrogenated vegetable oil.
I'm going to stick to olive oil, but will occasionally partake in Crisco without guilt.

Doctari
09-01-2005, 10:11
Just carry squeeze parkay. Tastes better than the crisco, & a bottle will last at least a week without refrigeration & you will eat it all by then.

As to Olive oil, I use Extra Virgin olive oil, it tastes better than any other type of olive oil. Try putting some (pressed) garlic cloves in the bottle*. At over 200 calories per Oz it is the most calorie dense food you can carry, I put it in almost everything.

*This MAY cause the oil to spoil quicker, I never have it long enough to have it spoil so I'm not sure.

Doctari.

CynJ
10-07-2005, 20:06
Just carry squeeze parkay. Tastes better than the crisco, & a bottle will last at least a week without refrigeration & you will eat it all by then.

Have you tried this in summer weather?

I like the "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter" spray too - not really a lot of calorie benefit but the taste is okay.

sarbar
10-08-2005, 11:08
I got these last week: http://www.minimus.biz/detail.aspx?ID=7492
Defintely a big package...enough for one meal.