PDA

View Full Version : Kick off in relation to southern terminus

10-K
01-05-2014, 19:04
This is an easy one - could google it but it's a quick question with an easy answer. :)

Where is the KO in relation to the southern terminus?

Just wondering about the logistics of getting from the KO to Campo.

Dogwood
01-05-2014, 19:11
I'm not sure of the exact trail mileage but IF I'm recalling it correctly it's something around 23 miles from Lake Morena to the southern terminus at the U.S. Mexico international border steel wall - all miles that YOU would cruise though. You are going to be capable of cruising in SoCal on the PCT.

Dogwood
01-05-2014, 19:14
It might just be simpler and easier to start at Campo early in the day and by the end of the day be at lake Morena than flip flopping around on your first two days of thruing the PCT.

Malto
01-05-2014, 19:15
I started at the border at 7:00 and hit Moreno in the early afternoon. Agree, very cruisy compared to the southern AT.

Dogwood
01-05-2014, 19:17
The public bus drops ya off in Campo at a small store just a couple of miles from the PCT southern terminus where YOU WILL get a ride to the southern terminus around your anticipated start date. Campo is no big town though. Very little there.

Dogwood
01-05-2014, 19:25
I started at the border at 7:00 and hit Moreno in the early afternoon. Agree, very cruisy compared to the southern AT.

Here ya go. Me too. Started at 7.30 a.m not in primo thru-hiking shape, hiking 1.5 miles past Lake Morena on a goat path(like an idiot, I remember thinking to myself what's that lake over there?, what an idiot), but with an UL load, and still hit Lake Morena after going back 1.5 miles(3 miles RT extra) at 4 p.m. You'll be there in the afternoon. Really no AT like steep or significant elev changes to speak of between the southern terminus and lake Morena.

Dogwood
01-05-2014, 19:29
With your experience level, UL hiking style, level of fitness, and level of intelligence you're going to cruise in SoCal. Just don't get burnt up in the Mojave. Get the water and snow reports AND STAY UP TO DATE WITH THEM. You are made for the PCT.

Mags
01-05-2014, 19:30
The KO is 20 miles north by trail from the border. If you go to the KO, there are shuttles that run every morning from the KO to the border (I've shuttled 2x myself now that I think about). IIRC there is usually a ride board at the KO for that purpose. You can make your first 20 miles on the PCT a slack pack if you are so inclined. ;)

So should have no problem getting a ride from the KO to the border for an early morning start. More than enough people there willing to do that.

10-K
01-05-2014, 19:31
Great, that's what I'll do. As it is now I'm arriving in San Diego on the 24th with Frodo and Sandy giving me a lift to the KO on the morning of the 25th

I'll see if I can't switch it to Campo on the morning of the 25th and hike into the KO that afternoon.

Mags
01-05-2014, 22:59
G

I'll see if I can't switch it to Campo on the morning of the 25th and hike into the KO that afternoon.

If you can get an early enough start, that should work out well. I don't think they'll mind. Most PCT alumni don't mind going back to the border and seeing people off on a thru-hike. I know I enjoyed doing it! :)

Dogwood
01-06-2014, 00:29
+1 ditto. I love it. Great info great plan Mags.

Sasquatch!
01-06-2014, 00:47
It is shaping up to be the third low snow year in a row. Would make for a dangerous water situation in SoCal. Carrying six liters sucks.
There is no water between Campo and Lake Morena. So you will get an early taste of what carrying 4-6 liters is like.

Keep an eye on this chart. If you have a flexible start date this is a great tool to use to determine if an early or late start is advantageous.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/swcchart.action

ChinMusic
01-06-2014, 01:12
It is shaping up to be the third low snow year in a row. Would make for a dangerous water situation in SoCal. Carrying six liters sucks.
There is no water between Campo and Lake Morena. So you will get an early taste of what carrying 4-6 liters is like.

Keep an eye on this chart. If you have a flexible start date this is a great tool to use to determine if an early or late start is advantageous.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/swcchart.action

Would you explain what we are looking at with this data? Thanks

Sasquatch!
01-06-2014, 13:32
The chart shows the yearly snowfall. The shaded blue area is the usual yearly average. If you select different years you can compare snowfall from one year to another, and also track the current snow fall levels

As of today the snowfall levels are 4 percent of their April 1st average for NorCal, 8 percent for the Sierra, and 10 percent for SoCal. Now, this could change. California could get dumped on and we could end up with a high snow year, but it doesnt look good.

Low snow in the Sierra means walking on less snow. Low snow in SoCal means less water to drink. Three low snow years in a row is bad for California overall.

10-K
01-06-2014, 13:44
So far this year is making last year look like a heavy snow year.

I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me happy in that I'm not used to hiking in snow and that's my #1 concern - but I'd take a heavy snow year and suck it up for the folks in CA.