PDA

View Full Version : Need help

windels11
01-05-2014, 19:50
I really want to get out to springer and hike a few days in early march , but my parents aren't really sure about me going, is there anything that I can say to them to get them more comfortable with me going ?

HooKooDooKu
01-05-2014, 20:13
I really want to get out to springer and hike a few days in early march , but my parents aren't really sure about me going, is there anything that I can say to them to get them more comfortable with me going ?
You can quote statistics until you are blue in the face... I doubt that's going to make a difference in your parents being worried about you.

The only thing I can think that you can DO to try to convince them otherwise is to find a way to earn their trust, show that you are mature and that you are approaching this maturely.

BTW, how old are you and what kind of hiking experience do you have (and how much, if any, hiking experience do either of your parents have?

Sarcasm the elf
01-05-2014, 20:20
It does depend a lot on your age and amount of experience, but this might help as well:

The trail around Springer Mountain in March is going to be packed with people starting out on Northbound thru hikes. You can let your parents know that you will be in the company of many like minded people who have a habit of helping each other out and looking out do each other.

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2014, 20:29
In addition to what HooKooDooKu said, perhaps you could find a "chaperone" or friend to go with you, one that you like AND one that your parents would trust to help "protect" you? Or see if any of the GA hiking clubs are going out on a group hike around that time and inquire if you could join them. You have until March, almost two months. Parents can definitely be a PIA, but when faced with your frustrating burden, always remember that the reason they are a pain is that they care about you more than anyone else in the world.

moldy
01-05-2014, 20:50
How about taking a look at the 10 day forecast for North Georgia? If there are no storms coming then hike.

windels11
01-05-2014, 21:27
You can quote statistics until you are blue in the face... I doubt that's going to make a difference in your parents being worried about you. The only thing I can think that you can DO to try to convince them otherwise is to find a way to earn their trust, show that you are mature and that you are approaching this maturely. BTW, how old are you and what kind of hiking experience do you have (and how much, if any, hiking experience do either of your parents have? I am 15 years old, I am pretty experienced in hiking and the outdoors. My parents on the other hand have very little experience with this kind of stuff.

windels11
01-05-2014, 21:28
It does depend a lot on your age and amount of experience, but this might help as well: The trail around Springer Mountain in March is going to be packed with people starting out on Northbound thru hikes. You can let your parents know that you will be in the company of many like minded people who have a habit of helping each other out and looking out do each other.
That's what I've been trying to show them, maybe I'll pull up some statistics that show how many people really are on the trail within the first few days.

windels11
01-05-2014, 21:29
In addition to what HooKooDooKu said, perhaps you could find a "chaperone" or friend to go with you, one that you like AND one that your parents would trust to help "protect" you? Or see if any of the GA hiking clubs are going out on a group hike around that time and inquire if you could join them. You have until March, almost two months. Parents can definitely be a PIA, but when faced with your frustrating burden, always remember that the reason they are a pain is that they care about you more than anyone else in the world.
Yea I was thinking that, it would be a big game changer for my parents if I had someone, but I don't really have anyone that I know at the moment that has any backpacking experience.

bigcranky
01-05-2014, 21:41
As STE says, that time of year there will be a lot of hikers in Georgia. It's really about as safe as this sort of thing gets (that is, it's not 100% safe but it's safer than a lot of other places.) Hikers look out for each other anyway, but it's even more pronounced at the beginning of a thru-hike.

I'd suggest spending the night at The Hiker Hostel and getting a shuttle to Springer the next morning. That way you'll meet several other starting hikers and build a relationship with them before starting. It's nice to be able to hike in a small group on the first couple of days.

All that said, it would help to know if you have any hiking or backpacking experience. It's not totally necessary -- plenty of thru-hikers spend their first day ever in the woods on Springer -- but it helps a lot.

Prime Time
01-05-2014, 21:46
It might also depend on what your parents are uncomfortable with. Have they said?

windels11
01-05-2014, 22:59
It might also depend on what your parents are uncomfortable with. Have they said?
I think it's just because they don't like me being with people that I don't know in the forest.

Meriadoc
01-05-2014, 23:54
Standard approaches:
(1) Show your parents your competence. Figure out what your plans are for various situations and how you will handle them. Then explain how you will handle them.
Examples of situations:
Weather events rain/wind/snow/lightning,
Going into town (hitchhiking or shuttle - might be a good idea to show them that you won't HAVE to hitchhike, you can get shuttles in that section easily), How to handle injury - self care vs bailout,
How to handle an encounter with someone who is sketchy (not telling your destination, finding a group of people while the sketchy person is around, not disclosing the fact that you're hiking alone, choosing campsites well away from roads and if stealth camping - out of sight of the trail, when you come up to a shelter you can cook dinner first before deciding [based on the company] whether to stay for the night). And for yourself - if a situation feels wrong, trust your gut and extricate yourself whether it is moving on to a new campsite or turning down a hitch.
How to navigate and plan your day,
and any others that suit your fancy.

(2) Know what communication devices you will bring and how often you will contact home. Maybe guarantee a check in once per day. A device such as a SPOT also provides peace of mind for those at home.

Thinking out of the box . . .
See if you can get them hooked on a good trail journal so that they can become more comfortable with the community. Once they see what we are like, (:D) they might be comfortable with you arranging online to meet up with a hiking partner to alleviate their concerns even if only for the first day.

4eyedbuzzard
01-05-2014, 23:58
Yea I was thinking that, it would be a big game changer for my parents if I had someone, but I don't really have anyone that I know at the moment that has any backpacking experience.Take any adult you/they know that is willing (and able - some aren't ;)) to learn. You have the experience - they have the "responsible adult" status. Just make sure they're into trying it long enough so they don't want to bail on you.

This may not be a popular comment with you or even some WB members, but honestly, here's how a parent might see this: Our 15 year old child [sorry, you sound quite mature, but legally you are still a minor/child] wants to travel from Chicago to Georgia, on their own, 700+ miles, and then disappear on foot into the wilderness, pretty much right where a few days ago 3 ADULT hikers almost died from exposure, and where 24 year old Meredith Emerson got murdered by a crazed madman just a few years ago. Sorry, but that's the reality you are facing.

Dogwood
01-06-2014, 00:18
Here's a suggestion closer to home in your home state. Post on trail forums for people in your area that you can hike with to get some experience and learn from. Heck, your family might want to get involved too. That's one of the best ways to put the parental units at ease. There's a nice 170 mile long distance trail right there in southern Illinois called the River to River Tr. It goes from the Mississippi River in the west at the Illinois/Missouri state line to the Ohio River in the east at the Illinois/Kentucky state line, I think, entirely on Shawnee National Forest land. I've never hiked it but there's a trail guide(couple of dollars), free printable downloadable maps, and the trail is blazed(signed). If you need ANY assistance with hiking questions in general please feel free to send me a private message. I'd be glad to help if I can.

http://www.theshawneenationalforest.com/home/shawnee-national-forest-trails/river-to-river-trail

http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/travel-ta-shawnee-national-forest-alto-pass-chicago-hiking-sidwcmdev_054237.html

http://www.rivertorivertrailguide.com/

http://www.theshawneenationalforest.com/home/shawnee-national-forest-trails/river-to-river-trail/river-to-river-trail-map

Dogwood
01-06-2014, 00:25
If you want I can send you some photocopied River to River Tr info I have in my Thru-Hikers Guide to America - 25 incredible trails you can hike in one to eight weeks book. PM me with an address or fax number and if interested I'll get this out to you along with the book offer regarding thru-hiking the AT I made on the other thread. You were the first to respond to that free AT thru-hiking book I offered so it's yours as well. :)

:welcome

windels11
01-06-2014, 02:57
If you want I can send you some photocopied River to River Tr info I have in my Thru-Hikers Guide to America - 25 incredible trails you can hike in one to eight weeks book. PM me with an address or fax number and if interested I'll get this out to you along with the book offer regarding thru-hiking the AT I made on the other thread. You were the first to respond to that free AT thru-hiking book I offered so it's yours as well. :) :welcome
Your awesome man!! Thanks again!

windels11
01-06-2014, 02:59
Standard approaches: (1) Show your parents your competence. Figure out what your plans are for various situations and how you will handle them. Then explain how you will handle them. Examples of situations: Weather events rain/wind/snow/lightning, Going into town (hitchhiking or shuttle - might be a good idea to show them that you won't HAVE to hitchhike, you can get shuttles in that section easily), How to handle injury - self care vs bailout, How to handle an encounter with someone who is sketchy (not telling your destination, finding a group of people while the sketchy person is around, not disclosing the fact that you're hiking alone, choosing campsites well away from roads and if stealth camping - out of sight of the trail, when you come up to a shelter you can cook dinner first before deciding [based on the company] whether to stay for the night). And for yourself - if a situation feels wrong, trust your gut and extricate yourself whether it is moving on to a new campsite or turning down a hitch. How to navigate and plan your day, and any others that suit your fancy. (2) Know what communication devices you will bring and how often you will contact home. Maybe guarantee a check in once per day. A device such as a SPOT also provides peace of mind for those at home. Thinking out of the box . . . See if you can get them hooked on a good trail journal so that they can become more comfortable with the community. Once they see what we are like, (:D) they might be comfortable with you arranging online to meet up with a hiking partner to alleviate their concerns even if only for the first day.
Great ideas! I was actually going to use a spot when I attempt my thru when I graduate high school, maybe I'll bring the spot option up in our conversation ! Thanks for the advice!

yellowsirocco
01-06-2014, 08:14
Why not take one of your parents? It is a great opportunity to show them you are an adult as well as some of the best bonding time you will ever get.

Several years back I took my dad out for a couple of weeks and the experience disparity was like your situation. I had done about half the trail at that point and the longest trip he had ever done was probably 30 miles. I was in my early 20s so still at the point where my parents questioned everything I did even though I didn't care what they said, but after that trip my dad realized that I could take care of myself and he has never doubted me since. Now, mom on the other hand will always be worrying about me and there is nothing I can ever do to change that.

RedBeerd
01-06-2014, 08:29
I don't remember listening to my parents when I was 15. We all turned out to be a big happy family anyways :)

slbirdnerd
01-06-2014, 10:11
Great ideas! I was actually going to use a spot when I attempt my thru when I graduate high school, maybe I'll bring the spot option up in our conversation ! Thanks for the advice! Look at the Spot, as well as the Delorme InReach. I'm 41, and my parents still hate that I go off into the woods alone. I ease their mind by boring them with all the knowledge I have gained, bear safety facts, how great the trail community is, bought an InReach, and here's one I heard right here on WB: Criminals and bad people are usually inherently lazy, therefore, not very likely to hike off into the mountains to do bad things. Educate yourself, make smart decisions, and like posted above remember that while you do seem like a very mature 15, your parents see you as their minor child and their resopnsibility (if not their baby, right?). Try to understand them, and help them try to understand you. If you go, have a great time and be safe!

Slo-go'en
01-06-2014, 10:30
I'm sure there are a lot of factors in your parents not wanting you to go. Your age is a big one, then there is the time of year (not a good time, even for Georgia), the distance you have to travel to get there and finally the expense of such a trip. And that is assuming you already have the proper gear to handle March weather in the Mountains, which can be bad.

I'm guessing you have a school break in March which is why you want to go then. Even so, you'd be best off waiting until summer and doing trips a bit closer to home for a few more years.

Night Train
01-06-2014, 11:02
Encourage your parents to read the WB forums with you, the more knowledge they gain about the hiking culture, the better chance of them being comfortable with your desire to hike.

Malto
01-06-2014, 12:25
You may not want to hear this but I wouldn't encourage my 15yo to solo on the AT. I had both of my sons on many backcountry trips in the Sierra at that age so they had quite of bit experience but this is a whole different animal. Agree with suggestion to include one of them or another adult.

larkspur
01-06-2014, 20:51
this might not be the best idea for you, but what I did was find a friend that was already doing things like this and planed a day trip with him and didn't tell my parent until the day before, and jut go out no matter what they thought. but, the obvious problem is that this might seriously backfire on you in some way

MuddyWaters
01-06-2014, 21:00
I am 15 years old, I am pretty experienced in hiking and the outdoors. My parents on the other hand have very little experience with this kind of stuff.

The main issue is, as an adolescent, you cannot be responsible for yourself, an adult must be.
You cant even seek medical help for yourself.
You really need a parent or legal guardian with power-of-attorney rights.

That said, when I was 15 me and my 16 yr old brother were fishing 20 miles offshore by ourselves.
No one wore seatbelts back then either.
Its a different world today

jdc5294
01-06-2014, 21:05
I really wish my parents would've let me do stuff like this when I was 15, I'd be better off now for it.

fredmugs
01-06-2014, 21:17
NONE OF YOU should be offering advice to a 15 year old. This thread should be shut down.

bigcranky
01-06-2014, 21:19
NONE OF YOU should be offering advice to a 15 year old. This thread should be shut down.

Yeah, didn't see that he was 15, that's kinda young. (No offense, man.)

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2014, 21:55
NONE OF YOU should be offering advice to a 15 year old. This thread should be shut down.The advice he has been given pretty consistently is that he is a minor and needs to talk to his parents and seek their permission.

jdc5294
01-07-2014, 01:32
Someone needs to watch some George Carlin.

Dogwood
01-07-2014, 01:51
Do you think your parents would object to you doing a hike w/ the Boy Scouts or a professionally accredited led hike w/ NOLS or reputable Guided Hike? National Outdoors Leadership School http://www.nols.edu/about/ Going this route, al least at the beginning, by building up your parent's confidence and trust in you, your desire, and who your with in the forest(as well as you building up experience to attempt a long distance hike), might open the door for them to accompany you as a family on hikes AND POSSIBLY GET THEM TO FINANCE A HIKE. Who knows, maybe they'll get interested in backpacking themselves and that will open up the door to all of you having valuable shared experiences. Take it forward to the AT in a short amt of time. :)

BuckeyeBill
01-07-2014, 02:17
I backpacked the Grand Canyon for the first time when I was 15 as part of a school trip. (The boys did the Grand Canyon, The girls went to France) It was organized by two of the science teachers in our school system. Our grade point average had to be at a certain level and all our teachers had to sign off that missing three weeks of school wouldn't drop us down too far. We left in March and explored the entire area around the Grand Canyon (Four Corners, Zion National Park, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area etc) When we started our hike down into the Canyon, we were standing in snow the was above stop signs. Once we hit the bottom of the Canyon we were in shorts and t-shirts.
AS part of the prep for this trip we had to attend weekly training meetings and our parents were required to attend several of them as well. We rented our packs and other equipment and dehydrated a lot of our own food. This trip got me hooked on hiking and backpacking and I saved my money to purchase my own gear for future trips. As you can see we had to have parental and school permission to go on this trip and I would advise you to talk to your parents about it. I would never allow a 15 year old to wonder around the woods without an adult. Do you have any coo Uncles that may be interested in making this trip (He may have have a child your age that may want to go too).

Good luck

ams212001
01-07-2014, 03:43
I backpacked the Grand Canyon for the first time when I was 15 as part of a school trip. (The boys did the Grand Canyon, The girls went to France) It was organized by two of the science teachers in our school system. Our grade point average had to be at a certain level and all our teachers had to sign off that missing three weeks of school wouldn't drop us down too far. We left in March and explored the entire area around the Grand Canyon (Four Corners, Zion National Park, Glen Canyon National Recreation Area etc) When we started our hike down into the Canyon, we were standing in snow the was above stop signs. Once we hit the bottom of the Canyon we were in shorts and t-shirts.
AS part of the prep for this trip we had to attend weekly training meetings and our parents were required to attend several of them as well. We rented our packs and other equipment and dehydrated a lot of our own food. This trip got me hooked on hiking and backpacking and I saved my money to purchase my own gear for future trips. As you can see we had to have parental and school permission to go on this trip and I would advise you to talk to your parents about it. I would never allow a 15 year old to wonder around the woods without an adult. Do you have any coo Uncles that may be interested in making this trip (He may have have a child your age that may want to go too).

Good luck

+1, my love for travelling started in 9th when I was fortunate enough to go to DC on a class trip. I am sure a trip like that is a logistical nightmare, but I never knew because all I needed to do was pay, follow directions and show up. It is nice to have others take care of the technical details when you are learning how to explore. I know there are travel groups that specialize in taking teenagers abroad on backpacking trips for weeks to months at a time with highly trained guides.

You can get very creative in your travel ideas, but your parents are going to be your best support system right now so see how you can work with them. They still have the final word though.

BuckeyeBill
01-07-2014, 03:52
+1, my love for travelling started in 9th when I was fortunate enough to go to DC on a class trip. I am sure a trip like that is a logistical nightmare, but I never knew because all I needed to do was pay, follow directions and show up. It is nice to have others take care of the technical details when you are learning how to explore. I know there are travel groups that specialize in taking teenagers abroad on backpacking trips for weeks to months at a time with highly trained guides.

You can get very creative in your travel ideas, but your parents are going to be your best support system right now so see how you can work with them. They still have the final word though.

In our school system, the DC trip is done in The 7th and 8th grades. They usually have two greyhound style bus loads of kids. 12 of us went to the Grand Canyon and i think 8 girls went to France. One requirement for the France trip was taking french class. I wish more schools would organize trips like these as they are very educational and you always remember them.

Dinendir
01-07-2014, 04:50

If you read the posts of windels11, than I do think that he has a better chance in the woods than many 18 year olds that decide impulsively to thru-hike. At least he sounds mature, and he has found the way here, so he knows what he's getting into. Being young doesn't mean being irresponsible or helpless.