PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Planning a September SOBO

KBKjr
01-06-2014, 11:55
My girlfriend and I are planning a September 2014 SOBO. We are hoping to team up with the NCI and raise money for Leukemia research via patron sponsorships per mile.

Here are our gear lists and weight (oz) for shoulder seasons:

My Stuff:

Pack 28.6
Tent 22.4
Ground cloth6.95
stakes 1.6
stuff sacks 2.83
Rain Jacket8.5
Rain Pants 3.6
Mid layer Top6
Bottom Layer6.2
Underwear3
Pad 15
sleeping bag24.5
Down jacket6.8
Down pants6.9
Down hood1.3
Down booties2.4
cup 2.2
towel 1.8
dish towel 0.8
pot/pan 6.2
Cooking spoon 1.2
gloves 1.5
socks (2pair)5
stove 5.8
spork 0.2
Bear bag 1.3
Bowl 1.6
multi tool 1.9
headlamp (w/extra batteries)3.6
inline water filter1.3
water reservoir (70fl oz)3.7
Pump kit 1
self packed first aid/whistle/duct/sew4.4
chapstick/sunscreen1
firestarter/waterproof matches/lighter2
bio soap1
toilet paper1
Small spray deodorant 0.5
dental stuff1.5
fuel cannister7.4
iPhone/charger6.35
Solar panel3.1

My total weight 13.4 lbs, w/ water ~18lbs

Her stuff:

Pack28.2
Bug net10.6
stuff sacks2.23
Rain Jacket7.1
Rain Pants3.6
Top Layer5.4
Bottom layer5
Pad14
sleeping bag26
Down Jacket10.1
Down Pants6
Down hood2.2
Down booties2.2
cup1.9
towel1.8
Spatula0.4
gloves1.5
socks (2pair)5
spork0.2
headlamp (+extra batteries)3.3
inline water filter1.3
water reservoir (70fl oz)3.7
compass1
self packed first aid4
sunscreen/Chapstick1
waterproof matches/fire starter/lighter2.5
Multi-tool1.8
Trowel1.9
toilet paper1
Small spray deodorant 0.5
dental stuff1.5
Bowl1.6
whistle0.5
kindle6.8
insect repellent1
Tenacious Tape0.75

Her total weight 10.5 lbs, w/ water ~15lbs

All of the above items are packed, the list does not include our "on person" clothing.

Our tent is a bombproof mid. Our bags are 0 degree rated. She uses a mummy, I use a quilt. We will be supplementing with our insulation layers. Our pads have an R value of 5.7.

Some of the non-essential insulation items may be bounced in the beginning. We both have wool hats that we will probably bounce until it gets too cold for our runner caps. We will be buying insulation trail runners after our first shoes give out.

We are doing a TRT thru hike in early August as a shakedown. We will only be resupplying 2-3 times on that hike. Luckily, we have family in the area to provide us with water drops.

If there is anything we are overlooking, your advice is highly valued. Also, tips are always welcomed and appreciated.

We have both lost numerous close family members to cancer, mainly leukemia. We are strong hikers, but our resolve is stronger.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Kelly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

waterman1148
01-06-2014, 12:25
Sounds like a solid plan. Hope it goes well and remember....HAVE FUN!!!

CarlZ993
01-06-2014, 12:34
September start SoBo? If you blitz the AT, it'll still be January before you finish. You might want to reconsider that. You might reach a point where snowshoes may be needed in NC/TN. For sure, MicroSpikes or something similar.

You don't list the model of some of your stuff. A 5.8 oz stove sounds heavy. But, if the stove is winter rated, it probably isn't. Be sure you inline water filter will function in freezing conditions. Toward the end of your hike, there will probably be some days where the temperature won't get above freezing.

You have a 'cooking spoon' and she has a 'spatula' listed. You could probably do w/o either. Save you a couple of oz.

You might consider using lithium batteries in your headlight. Will last longer in the cold. More expensive, lighter, & harder to find (sometimes).

Solar chargers on an East Coast hike might not work as well as you expect. After the leaves fall, it might perform a little better.

Wish you luck on your hike & the cause you're supporting.

fiddlehead
01-06-2014, 13:10
It's do-able.
Biggest problems are long nights, not many places will be open that cater to hikers after Oct 31.
Once snow comes, finding the trail will be a challenge although you can do it, if you think like a trail blazer.
If you don't have a ton of experience, a GPS might be in order.
Long nights in the bag
Shelters will be empty.
It'll be deer season a lot. (not a big deal but I'd take a few Sat. off maybe)
Solar charger might not do what you want it to. Especially when the days are so short.
Good luck.

KBKjr
01-06-2014, 13:15
September start SoBo? If you blitz the AT, it'll still be January before you finish. You might want to reconsider that. You might reach a point where snowshoes may be needed in NC/TN. For sure, MicroSpikes or something similar.

You don't list the model of some of your stuff. A 5.8 oz stove sounds heavy. But, if the stove is winter rated, it probably isn't. Be sure you inline water filter will function in freezing conditions. Toward the end of your hike, there will probably be some days where the temperature won't get above freezing.

You have a 'cooking spoon' and she has a 'spatula' listed. You could probably do w/o either. Save you a couple of oz.

You might consider using lithium batteries in your headlight. Will last longer in the cold. More expensive, lighter, & harder to find (sometimes).

Solar chargers on an East Coast hike might not work as well as you expect. After the leaves fall, it might perform a little better.

Wish you luck on your hike & the cause you're supporting.

Thank you :)

I should have specified what's in the bounce box. We have a backup ceramic filter and I had AM drops in my pack list but I've relegated those to the BB along with Yak trax and spikes. I'm still shopping for some good UL snowshoes. If anyone has a recommendation, I'd love to know. The listed weights are with Lithium batteries, saves an ounce.

As for the spatula, well, we like our pancakes:
http://www.sturdiwheat.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=61&SID=a473839e5a4404b6563eac2e2f564b59

Thanks again for the support and advice.

KBKjr
01-06-2014, 13:25
It's do-able.
Biggest problems are long nights, not many places will be open that cater to hikers after Oct 31.
Once snow comes, finding the trail will be a challenge although you can do it, if you think like a trail blazer.
If you don't have a ton of experience, a GPS might be in order.
Long nights in the bag
Shelters will be empty.
It'll be deer season a lot. (not a big deal but I'd take a few Sat. off maybe)
Solar charger might not do what you want it to. Especially when the days are so short.
Good luck.

Thank you. I'm hoping the iPhone with Guthook's AT app will suffice when the trail is covered by snow. If not, I have an etrek I'll include in the BB.

0 days won't be a problem for us. The idea of Christmas on the trail is appealing to us.

Thanks again :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2014, 14:42
Is there a huge reason to do the shakedown hike out west and delay starting at Katahdin in August instead? Depending on exactly when in September you start, it could have a huge impact on the overall nature of your hike.

Have you hiked any portions of the AT in ME or NH before?

HikerMom58
01-06-2014, 15:11
I'm not trying to discourage you at all KBKjr, just sharing with you...

A SOBO hiker just had to come off the trail in Atkins VA, the other day. He said it wasn't fun hiking in the cold. He said it's hard to keep your clothes and gear dry on the trail, he was worried really about that piece. He said it was impossible for him to start a fire to keep warm or dry out with snow all over the ground. He was in his tent a lot more than he wanted to be... etc...

I know if he had the $$ he would have been in hostels & motels a lot more than he was on the trail, this time of year.

He said he could handle a section hike in the winter but a thru hike... not so much.

It's freezing cold in VA right now. The weather people are saying that we haven't had this cold air come this far South in 20 years. We could have a mild winter next year, tho. :)

Good luck and welcome! :)

KBKjr
01-06-2014, 15:27
Is there a huge reason to do the shakedown hike out west and delay starting at Katahdin in August instead? Depending on exactly when in September you start, it could have a huge impact on the overall nature of your hike.

Have you hiked any portions of the AT in ME or NH before?

We will be attending a wedding on the 2nd in Tahoe. The thought was to get our legs and lungs under us with a couple 10s. If we forgo the TRT, we could potentially start 17 days earlier.

I spent summers hiking in Maine when I was younger but not along the AT. I have not hiked in NH.

KBKjr
01-06-2014, 15:46
I'm not trying to discourage you at all KBKjr, just sharing with you...

A SOBO hiker just had to come off the trail in Atkins VA, the other day. He said it wasn't fun hiking in the cold. He said it's hard to keep your clothes and gear dry on the trail, he was worried really about that piece. He said it was impossible for him to start a fire to keep warm or dry out with snow all over the ground. He was in his tent a lot more than he wanted to be... etc...

I know if he had the $$ he would have been in hostels & motels a lot more than he was on the trail, this time of year.

He said he could handle a section hike in the winter but a thru hike... not so much.

It's freezing cold in VA right now. The weather people are saying that we haven't had this cold air come this far South in 20 years. We could have a mild winter next year, tho. :)

Good luck and welcome! :)

I appreciate the information. Let me assure you, we may be crazy but we are not dumb :)

Our gear is very water resistant (nothing is waterproof). However, if the weather forces us off of the trail, then the weather forces off the trail :/

My goal with this thread was to ascertain if their was any gear we may be missing and to gather any tips of the trade, so to speak. I appreciate the concern and warning, but to my understanding Atkins, VA is around 400 miles from Springer. If that's the case, hopefully we will be in your neck of the woods a lot earlier than this time next year.

Maybe we will even be able to encounter the weather you had a month ago:

http://www.friendlyforecast.com/usa/archive/archive.php?region=VA&id=301675&?-Forecast-Atkins-Virginia&date=20131206000000&sort=hour

Which is a lot nicer than I had when I was in OK during that time ;)

Thank you again and thanks to all for tips and advice!

CELTIC BUCK
01-06-2014, 15:51
Take the 17 days & use them in Maine/NH , get thru there as early as you can .Penn can get interesting November & consider strongly packing some "hunter orange" clothing in your bounce box as you hike into deer season.

KBKjr
01-06-2014, 15:53
I appreciate the information. Let me assure you, we may be crazy but we are not dumb :)

Our gear is very water resistant (nothing is waterproof). However, if the weather forces us off of the trail, then the weather forces off the trail :/

My goal with this thread was to ascertain if their was any gear we may be missing and to gather any tips of the trade, so to speak. I appreciate the concern and warning, but to my understanding Atkins, VA is around 400 miles from Springer. If that's the case, hopefully we will be in your neck of the woods a lot earlier than this time next year.

Maybe we will even be able to encounter the weather you had a month ago:

http://www.friendlyforecast.com/usa/archive/archive.php?region=VA&id=301675&?-Forecast-Atkins-Virginia&date=20131206000000&sort=hour

Which is a lot nicer than I had when I was in OK during that time ;)

Thank you again and thanks to all for tips and advice!

Sorry for the incorrect spelling, I should have typed "there" instead of "their" in the third paragraph.

KBKjr
01-06-2014, 15:54
Take the 17 days & use them in Maine/NH , get thru there as early as you can .Penn can get interesting November & consider strongly packing some "hunter orange" clothing in your bounce box as you hike into deer season.

Thanks, I will make sure that the blaze is packed away :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2014, 17:22
We will be attending a wedding on the 2nd in Tahoe. The thought was to get our legs and lungs under us with a couple 10s. If we forgo the TRT, we could potentially start 17 days earlier.

I spent summers hiking in Maine when I was younger but not along the AT. I have not hiked in NH.

I am assuming you are 100% committed to this SOBO thru-hike. You've got good gear. IMO, any small gains you make from a conditioning standpoint hiking the TRT will be diminished by the time and miles you are losing when you could already be 17 days further down the AT.

Winter IS going to eventually catch you on your hike. When it does, it will slow down every remaining mile. The question is where do you want to meet up with it? October is the transition month to winter conditions in the Whites. (You don't want to get caught in an Oct. storm or even be taking zeros waiting for weather to clear). The sooner you start, the further down the trail winter finally catches you, the more you are "walking with fall" and staying ahead of winter, the better the weather generally, the more daylight, more mpd, and you finish sooner in the southern Appalachians. Like anything else that deals with weather though, it's impossible to really predict, so the best you can do is play the percentages.

Even though you are strong young hikers, do not underestimate the difficulty of the first 400 miles of the AT from Katahdin to Glencliff. Even trail hardened NOBO thru-hikers see their mpd go way down through this section.

Have a great hike whatever you decide.

Slo-go'en
01-06-2014, 17:31
My Stuff:

dish towel 0.8 Redunant, not needed
Bowl 1.6 Not needed, eat out of your pot
multi tool 1.9 Small locking knife is more useful
Small spray deodorant 0.5 Not needed
Solar panel3.1 Totally useless.

My total weight 13.4 lbs, w/ water ~18lbs

Her stuff:

Pack28.2
Bug net10.6 No bugs in the winter!

You had best start September 1. It is highly unlikely you will get to NH before October and the weather starts to get real trickly about then and quickly goes down hill from there.

KBKjr
01-06-2014, 18:50
You had best start September 1. It is highly unlikely you will get to NH before October and the weather starts to get real trickly about then and quickly goes down hill from there.

I am assuming you are 100% committed to this SOBO thru-hike. You've got good gear. IMO, any small gains you make from a conditioning standpoint hiking the TRT will be diminished by the time and miles you are losing when you could already be 17 days further down the AT.

Winter IS going to eventually catch you on your hike. When it does, it will slow down every remaining mile. The question is where do you want to meet up with it? October is the transition month to winter conditions in the Whites. (You don't want to get caught in an Oct. storm or even be taking zeros waiting for weather to clear). The sooner you start, the further down the trail winter finally catches you, the more you are "walking with fall" and staying ahead of winter, the better the weather generally, the more daylight, more mpd, and you finish sooner in the southern Appalachians. Like anything else that deals with weather though, it's impossible to really predict, so the best you can do is play the percentages.

Even though you are strong young hikers, do not underestimate the difficulty of the first 400 miles of the AT from Katahdin to Glencliff. Even trail hardened NOBO thru-hikers see their mpd go way down through this section.

Have a great hike whatever you decide.

Just talked to the girl, we are now planning to start this hike within the first 7 days of August. That gives us at least 8 weeks until October, or 48 days with 8 zeroes. For the first 400mi, that averages to just a little under 8.5 MPD.

Does anyone oppose a $9000 budget for the both of us?

Thanks to all for the insight and advice.

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2014, 20:59
You have plenty of money. I think most folks who live and hike in NH/ME regularly would agree with your choice of starting sooner. Hopefully a few more will chime in. And the worst that can happen is you blow right through ME and NH and say those guys on WB are a bunch of wusses - we cranked out 20's from Katahdin and right through the Whites ;)

CarlZ993
01-06-2014, 21:11
Just talked to the girl, we are now planning to start this hike within the first 7 days of August. That gives us at least 8 weeks until October, or 48 days with 8 zeroes. For the first 400mi, that averages to just a little under 8.5 MPD.

An earlier start is a much better plan in my opinion. Your planned budget for two is quite possible ($4,500 ea). I spent more than that going north. I often shared a room w/ hiking buddies I met along the way.

When I hit Glencliff NH, I was averaging 15 mpd (including zeros). I slowed down after that. When I finished, my average had lowered to 14.4 mpd (including zeros). Going south, unfortunately, you'll have to push pretty hard at first just to get out of the 100 mile wilderness. You'll undoubtedly average much more than 8.5 mpd for the 1st 400 miles.

Good luck in your hike. It is one heck of an adventure.

MamaBear
01-08-2014, 12:51
I'll chime in, 4eyedbuzzard, as a NH resident and year-round weekly hiker in the Whites. +1 to starting as early as your schedule will allow, the weather here can be either spectacular or dreadful and sometimes both within a very short amount of time, this especially goes for the shoulder seasons and winter. The shoulder seasons can be tricky, but it looks like you've already worked out an earlier start date, and it looks like your gear and planning is pretty much in order.

psyon27
01-08-2014, 15:21
I'm very curious what sleeping bags you have that are rated at 0* but only weigh ~25oz? Most of the 0* bags I have seen weigh well over 2 lbs.

Ken

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2014, 15:42
I'm very curious what sleeping bags you have that are rated at 0* but only weigh ~25oz? Most of the 0* bags I have seen weigh well over 2 lbs.

KenGood point. Perhaps they are quoting weights for lighter bags that will be changed out during the hike? They note that the weights are for their "shoulder season" gear. They likely won't need more than 20° bags until they hit higher elevations in VA (in roughly November?) if they start in August. I would add a similar possible question regarding the tent. I know of no "bomb proof" / winter tents weighing ~ 22 oz. Again, possibly a lightweight 3 season tent. I would think that they would use shelters in the winter months when winter/storm weather dictates.

psyon27
01-08-2014, 16:03
For a little over 3 oz I would add an emergency space blanket bivy for 2 and give it to whoever isn't carrying the tent. For a winter hike that would be a good insurance policy to carry IMO.

Ken

KBKjr
01-08-2014, 21:54

Ken

Enlightened Equipment, you can add a full length zip to their quilts.

Good point. Perhaps they are quoting weights for lighter bags that will be changed out during the hike? They note that the weights are for their "shoulder season" gear. They likely won't need more than 20° bags until they hit higher elevations in VA (in roughly November?) if they start in August. I would add a similar possible question regarding the tent. I know of no "bomb proof" / winter tents weighing ~ 22 oz. Again, possibly a lightweight 3 season tent. I would think that they would use shelters in the winter months when winter/storm weather dictates.

MLD Duomid. Anything over 6" of expected snow, we will be in a shelter.

I've scrapped the solar charger from the gear list. I've added some rain mitts.

Really appreciate the advice and insight, very warm welcome to the forum. Thanks all!

fredmugs
01-08-2014, 23:56

Maine in August is awesome! You'll be glad you started earlier.

Slo-go'en
01-09-2014, 00:28
Yes, August start much better plan. That extra couple of weeks could be critical. 9 grand should get you by so long as you keep track of the pennies.

takethisbread
01-11-2014, 18:56
I have tried this. it's doable but some things to consider. I left maine in September 25 and ended up getting off the trail bc it was too much misery stressing about the weather all the time . from the time I left katahdin it rained for ten straight days . hard. the trail was ankle deep in spots. the fords were brutal and cold in early October . I got off the trail for a short bit and got right back on. I pushed through Maine and into the whites. the weather was horrid and as fall passed I found myself miserable each day . it took 10 days to cross the Maine border to Franconia notch bc I lost days to weather. by the time I got to Vermont I was facing lost time and looking at a February finish and it wasn't fun. I decided than rather than trying to fit the trail into my work schedule I would wait till I retired and do it when the trail allowed me to pass. I retire this year and all the time I waited I hope was worth it. of course you could have better luck with the weather. expect lots of snow and freezing temps no matter where you are on the trail in December January .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

AngryGerman
01-16-2014, 02:18
It seems that you are mentally prepared and have a good gear list that for this hike. If I could make a couple recommendations or provide some insight from experience...

1) Keep your down dry (can be tough to do on the East coast) - utilize a trash compactor bag to line your pack with then put your sleeping bag and down snivel gear in another and place that at the bottom of your pack. Trash compactor bags work best, last a long time, are cheap, and are super water tight.

2) Carry a third compactor bag - put your boots in the bag, then place boots in the bottom of your sleeping bag so they do not freeze at night. If you miss this step you will have to get used to putting frozen boots on every morning. My feet are furnaces, putting frozen boots on in the morning doesn't bother me as much as some. Also sleep with your unworn clothes on the inside of your bag as well so they can stay warm and/or dry while you sleep.

3) I question the use of a 0* bag plus the down snivel gear. IMO, even if you are a super cold sleeper, you may find that a 0* bag plus down snivel will be overkill even in the most extremes. I can assure you, unless it is 0* out you will have to keep that sleeping bag open at the bottom for ventilation so you don't end up with condensation on the outside of your bag which in the morning is a bit taxing to deal with. You have to avoid sweating inside that sleeping bag! I see you are using a quilt, so you will not experience the condensation as much as the mummy bag would. Consider leaving the down pants, booties, and down hoodie in the bounce box for a majority of the trip. What you are wearing plus one layer in the pack is all that is required for most.

4) I'll assume that 7.4oz is for the large canister which for two people will last roughly about 10 days depending how many meals you cook. That plus the weight of the stove is a bit much IMO. Look at some of the new designs of alcohol/multi fuel stoves for weight savings. Alcohol will suffice for even the most brutal days on the AT, but the canister, if kept warm will do better than the alcohol at higher elevations.

5) I read; in-line filter and pump kit for water purification? Why the heavy pump? I am sure you researched Steri-Pen and Aqua Mira. I started with the pump and switched to Aqua Mira and the Pen saving in weight and money. The filter will need to be replaced often; trust me! At 30-50 dollars for replacement filters plus the aggravation of dealing with a plugged pump with the possibilities of breaking said pump is quite annoying to me! In-line filter for your reservoir is a great idea if you stick with that bladder; you may consider swapping it out for 1L Platypus bladders or 1L Smart Water bottles.

Listed below is what I wore and packed for clothing on my fall/winter thru that began on July 23rd and ended on Feb 9th. I used an UL32*(24oz) bag in the fall until Dec. 5th then switched to a UL0*(40oz) for the remainder; big mistake! I should have stayed with the 32* for the entire trip; I am a very hot sleeper. I experienced sub-zero temps, deep snow, much ice, lots of cold rain, and high winds for more than two months on my SOBO hike and at times was wearing everything I owned when hiking, less the down coat, and was quite comfortable. It's all about staying warm when you stop! I sent the hammock home in Dec., but kept the rainfly in case of emergency shelter operations and to block the wind, rain, and snow when in the shelters on the trail. I also swapped out my CCF sleeping pad out for a Thermarest Pro-Lite SI sleep pad for shelter sleeping vs. hammock sleeping; air pads are much better on the shelter floors IMO. At max I carry two liters plus five days worth of food at 2.2lbs/liter and 2lbs food/per day. Pack starting weight w/out food and water was nearly 9.5lbs w/water I was 13.9lbs adding the seven days of food for the 100 mile wilderness and I was at 27.9lbs. Two days before I finished my pack weighed 17.25lbs; that was with two days food and 2L water.

Hope this helps and PM me if you need to.

Wore in the beginning: Worn in the winter (Mid-End Nov.-Feb 9th):
Adidas soccer shorts Under Armor spandex shorts
EMS short sleeve tech wick shirt Nike running leggings
Under Armor spandex shorts Darn Tough ankle socks
Darn Tough ankle socks Bandana and/or Under Armor cap
Bandana Under Armor 2.0 base layer long sleeve top
Vasque mid trail runners - sneaker like feel w/ extreme breathe-ability. EMS Short sleeve tech wick shirt
OR low gators - keeps the crap out of my shoes; a must for me. Same shoe and gator combo throughout

Packed in the beginning: Packed in the end:
UL rain coat UL rain coat and pants (rarely wore the pants)
Nike running leggings One pair of Darn Tough ankle socks
One pair of Darn Tough ankle socks Under Armor 2.0 base layer leggings
Under Armor mid 2.0 long sleeve Army issue Polypro light weight zip turtle neck
Down coat Down coat
Under Armour synthetic cap Minus 33 ski mask/neck gator
North Face glove liners North Face gloves