PDA

View Full Version : If money was no issue...give me your dream thru-hike gear list

FinnMelanson
01-06-2014, 23:50
I thought this would be an interesting topic.

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2014, 23:59
Cabin Tent
Woodstove
Aerobed
Gas grill
Phurba Tashi Sherpa Mendewa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phurba_Tashi) :D

Sarcasm the elf
01-07-2014, 00:11
The more I hike, the more I realize that expensive doesn't always mean better. I don't like having things in the woods that I have to worry about breaking/cost of replacing.

Right now I have:
ULA circuit
Tarptent double rainbow
Thermarest z-lite foampad
None of these were particularly expensive compared to your average selection at REI/EMS and I wouldn't replace them regardless of money.

I might splurge and buy a Western Mountaineering (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products) sleeping bag if I had the cash to spare.

4eyedbuzzard
01-07-2014, 00:17
On a serious note, I have pretty much what I would bring: Golite Jam 50L, Hennessy Hyperlite Hammock, A NF 20 and WM 35 sleeping bag, Jetboil Sol Ti, plenty of good clothes. I think I might splurge on a new underquilt and cuben tarp for the hammock and some merino base layers.

Chair-man
01-07-2014, 00:39
If money was no issue...give me your dream thru-hike gear listSeriously, I'd have a big RV waiting for me at almost every trailhead so I could shower eat resupply and hit the trail again. Woo Hoo.:banana

Dogwood
01-07-2014, 00:40
Not to put a damper on exploring your question but my dream thru-hikes, which I achieve every yr or so, are not absolutely necessarily dependent on having unlimited financial resources and certainly do not revolve around a so called dream gear set up. It's the other things on a dream thru-hike that are much more expensive in my experience. For example: shuttles, traveling commercially or privately to/from thru-hikes(car rentals, fuel, supplies, etc), multiple International permits($), fees, lodging, guide services, food, medical services abroad, etc. One HUGE advantage about backpacking is that even the most expensive long distance kit I can think of still isn't over $20k and that includes things like kayak, $1500 backpack, $700-$900 tents, $250 boots, $500 jackets, $200 merino shirts, $800 goose down sleeping bags, $$$ GPS, large extensive map sets, etc . In the big scheme of things I don't think backpacking gear is terribly expensive even for the loftiest priced gear. Consider what some spend on sports automobiles, racing boats, cars, and planes, antique hunting firearms, deep sea diving, ballooning, etc.

Dogwood
01-07-2014, 00:48
If you ask me what my dream hike would be, which would require multiple different types of kits and BIG $$$, it would be an almost continuous long distance hike across the entire 7 continents beginning with a continuous hike across the entire Asian and European continents, with flights to the various continents and a section hike :) from Alaska SOBO through the N American, Central America and S. American continents to Terra del Fuego.

Happy44
01-07-2014, 00:51
If you ask me what my dream hike would be, which would require multiple different types of kits and BIG $$$, it would be an almost continuous long distance hike across the entire 7 continents beginning with a continuous hike across the entire Asian and European continents, with flights to the various continents and a section hike :) from Alaska SOBO through the N American, Central America and S. American continents to Terra del Fuego.

HYOH but ya what he said ^

10-K
01-07-2014, 08:33
Free shoes.

By far and away the most expensive part of hiking over time.

Doc
01-07-2014, 09:15
If money was no issue...give me your dream thru-hike gear listSeriously, I'd have a big RV waiting for me at almost every trailhead so I could shower eat resupply and hit the trail again. Woo Hoo.:banana
This is the way I went through SNP. Each night my wife would be at the next campground with a cold beer waiting. After a hot shower slip into cotton clothes, have a home cooked meal. Finally, I have to admit that sleeping with my wife each night was better than in a tent listening to the deer forage around in the leaves. Yep, we section hikers have it rough.

Mags
01-07-2014, 10:04
If money was no issue, I doubt my gear would be any different.

I would no longer work in a beige box between hikes, however. That would be the main benefit. :)

Malto
01-07-2014, 10:12
If money was no issue, I doubt my gear would be any different.

I would no longer work in a beige box between hikes, however. That would be the main benefit. :)

This exactly!

Namtrag
01-07-2014, 10:22
If money were no object, I would just hike more and work less. Probably get a few things like a Tarp Tent and a quilt, but really, the gear I have is fine. I just need more time off to enjoy the gear!

Dinendir
01-07-2014, 10:38
If money would be no issue, I would spend it on plane-tickets to be able to hike every continent, my gear wouldn't change that much.

TAG
01-07-2014, 11:18
As others have said, my gear wouldn't change much, but I would hike more. I would also hike with more people. My time outside is limited by the big beige box I work in. If wasn't bothered with work, I would spend more time bringing people into the outdoors. This year, I introduced 12 1st year boy scouts to light backpacking. It was great to see the boys carrying <20 pound packs, tarp camping and enjoying hiking. I'd do more of that.

HikerMom58
01-07-2014, 11:42
As others have said, my gear wouldn't change much, but I would hike more. I would also hike with more people. My time outside is limited by the big beige box I work in. If wasn't bothered with work, I would spend more time bringing people into the outdoors. This year, I introduced 12 1st year boy scouts to light backpacking. It was great to see the boys carrying <20 pound packs, tarp camping and enjoying hiking. I'd do more of that.

Cool thread!! TAG, ur comment is my fav. so far... love it. :)

RED-DOG
01-07-2014, 11:42
I would go with the same gear set up i had in 2012, but i would spend more money in town on my Relaxation, better hotels, more slack packing, use shuttles more often and also i would probably help other hikers, but like it was said before, more exspensive gear doesn't always mean better,most of the time the least exspensive gear is better, when you buy the exspensive stuff you are just paying for the name.

max patch
01-07-2014, 11:45
more slack packing, use shuttles more often

This is not meant to be critical, but to point out that we all are different. The items above would degrade my hike, not make it better. Again, thats just me.

Buzzy84
01-07-2014, 11:57
If money was no issue...give me your dream thru-hike gear list

Seriously, I'd have a big RV waiting for me at almost every trailhead so I could shower eat resupply and hit the trail again. Woo Hoo.:banana

Exactly what i was thinkin!

RED-DOG
01-07-2014, 12:10
[QUOTE=max patch;1831908]This is not meant to be critical, but to point out that we all are different. The items above would degrade my hike, not make it better. Again, thats just me.[/QUOTE
Yeah that's just you, so you are saying you wouldn't spend more to make your hike easier, YEAH RIGHT like we believe that.

max patch
01-07-2014, 12:44
[QUOTE=max patch;1831908]This is not meant to be critical, but to point out that we all are different. The items above would degrade my hike, not make it better. Again, thats just me.[/QUOTE
Yeah that's just you, so you are saying you wouldn't spend more to make your hike easier, YEAH RIGHT like we believe that.

I don't know why you want to be argumentative when I pointed out that was not my intent.

I've never slack packed a day in my life on a backpacking trip and I never will. And whether you believe that or not its the truth.

rickb
01-07-2014, 13:09
[QUOTE=RED-DOG;1831917]

I don't know why you want to be argumentative when I pointed out that was not my intent.

I've never slack packed a day in my life on a backpacking trip and I never will. And whether you believe that or not its the truth.

I think pride in (relative) self-sufficiency is about as common these days as a Three-toed Woodpecker, Max Patch. Three cheers for the rare birds out there!

4eyedbuzzard
01-07-2014, 13:33
I don't know, to me it seems that not carrying (most?)everything you need takes away from the purpose of being out there. But I'm more a backpacker looking to get away, not a hiker looking to log miles. The words used to be more synonymous in days past.

Mags
01-07-2014, 13:44
This reminds me of something I wrote two months ago:
http://www.pmags.com/the-gift-of-time-my-dream-adventure

My dream thru-hike list (as opposed to gear list!)

4eyedbuzzard
01-07-2014, 13:48
This reminds me of something I wrote two months ago:
http://www.pmags.com/the-gift-of-time-my-dream-adventure

My dream thru-hike list (as opposed to gear list!)You have sought and found balance, Grasshopper.

Dogwood
01-07-2014, 15:32
Not a big surprise to me that regular long distance hikers are relatively happy overall with their current kits.:) I may be wrong about this, but after awhile most of the long distance hikers I know or have spoken with realize the gear isn't always the most important part of long distance hiking.

Odd Man Out
01-07-2014, 15:36
The main expense of a thru hike would be the cost of keeping my wife happy at home, so you would have to ask her what that would entail. My expenses would be minimal (OK, I'll fly first class to ATL).

Sara
01-07-2014, 16:33
I pretty much already have all the necessary gear for my upcoming AT thru this year. I would spend extra money on plane tickets for each of my three brothers to join me for a few days on the trail.

Valley Girl
01-07-2014, 17:43
ULA circuit
Hennessy Hammock with top of the line quilts
Salomon Women's Quest 4D GTX Hiking Boot
Enough cash to do the PCT

Sarcasm the elf
01-07-2014, 19:49

This reminded me of something i was thinking about a while back. One of the most frustrating things to me was when several of my friends got laid off over the last few years, each was single, had no responsibilities besides the job that had just ended and had a fair amount of money in the bank. I tried to convince each of them that this was the ideal time to go off and have an adventure, or move somewhere new for a while, or at least to travel.

Instead each of them sat around for months, half heartedly applying for jobs they knew they werent going to get until their savings finally ran out and they took what employment they could get in order to make ends meet. So much wasted opportunity.

Malto
01-07-2014, 20:06
Not a big surprise to me that regular long distance hikers are relatively happy overall with their current kits.:) I may be wrong about this, but after awhile most of the long distance hikers I know or have spoken with realize the gear isn't always the most important part of long distance hiking.

Absolutely!!!!!!!

SevenPines
01-07-2014, 20:18
I would hike to somewhere in central VA, buy the nicest piece of workable land i could find within 1/3 of a mile to the trail, and set up shop. definitely a modest cabin, maybe a couple more and make the most awesome hostel, keep it open for a season or two and then close it. I would keep the cabin for myself and friends/family after that.

or i would just buy rusty's hard time hollow. i'd keep the signs

Drybones
01-07-2014, 21:10
If bullfrogs had hip pockets they could tote six-guns and shoot water maccasins.

Mags
01-07-2014, 22:09
One of the most frustrating things to me was when several of my friends got laid off over the last few years, each was single, had no responsibilities besides the job that had just ended and had a fair amount of money in the bank. I tried to convince each of them that this was the ideal time to go off and have an adventure, or move somewhere new for a while, or at least to travel.

When I was laid off, I learned to alpine climb, did a bunch of backcountry skiing, did a section hike of the Arizona Trail, went to British Columbia, hiked the Benton MacKaye Trail and the TRT and also did a bunch other things. It was a good not-quite-a-year. :)

Dogwood
01-07-2014, 22:45
That's another very common characteristic/attitude of regular backpackers/hikers/experienced long distance hikers - they tend to take notice and advantage of opportunities more often, including widening their experiences and skill sets.

Too many folks limit and excuse themselves from taking steps towards achieving dreams because of money. It's that lottery mentality that they can't achieve unless they hit the lottery. It's used as an excuse to stay on the couch.

ATSeamstress
01-07-2014, 23:40
I would go the support vehicle route as well. I'm very happy with my gear and I would carry it all for safety purposes, but being able to be resupplied more often and not having to hitch would be priceless. I've section-hiked everything up to Franconia Notch, so getting up into Maine, this would make things a lot easier. I might also spring for a few huts.

Another thing I might do if I had endless money and vehicle support would be more sightseeing on my zero days.

12TH Man
01-08-2014, 00:03
I thought this would be an interesting topic.

If unlimited funds were available? Hiking w/ Baywatch era Pam Anderson.
Possibly more pain than astetically pleasing?

12TH Man
01-08-2014, 00:11
If unlimited funds were available? Hiking w/ Baywatch era Pam Anderson.
Possibly more pain than astetically pleasing?

Yes....I know that I am a PIG.

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2014, 00:58
Yes....I know that I am a PIG.

It's okay. Quote from a very old Honeymooners episode:

Trixie: "All men are pigs Alice."

Feral Bill
01-08-2014, 01:16
I might get a newer sleeping bag, and maybe a mid-sized (60L MOL) pack. And a custom tailored Harris Tweed hiking jacket Would be nice.

rockyiss
01-09-2014, 22:09
Two sherpas to carry the stuuff I already have .

DandT40
01-10-2014, 11:59
I would invest in some nice trekking poles for sure - I just have some cheep ones now. Maybe a nice down sleeping bag, but I am pretty darn happy with my EE quilt. Other things would just be to cut a few ounces. A new head lamp, lighter tent stakes, etc... Mostly small things that I'm just too cheap to invest in now since the product I currently have is fine, but I could save a few ounces with a more expensive version.