PDA

View Full Version : 1-2 week hike ideas

keys63
01-08-2014, 00:22
im planning a hiking trip with some friends this June. we only have 1 or 2 weeks available. does anyone know of any scenic, less crowded sections of the trail that would fit this trip well? we all have experience hiking. any feedback is appreciated.

LIhikers
01-08-2014, 01:06
That time of year there are a lot of people on the AT. I doubt you'll find a section with much solitude.
Maybe consider a less popular trail, people all over the world know of the AT.
You might want to consider doing part of something like The Finger Lakes Trail, or one of the other trails in PA besides the AT

keys63
01-08-2014, 01:21
thanks for the feedback, could you recommend any non AT trails in eastern PA or that area that would take about a week?

Leanthree
01-08-2014, 01:26
This is a rather open ended question and depends on how far you are thinking of traveling and your priorities of crowds vs scenic. You are still in black fly season at that point so I'd avoid the quite scenic NH and Maine sections.

If you care to avoid the thru-hike bubble (crowd), I'd head to Southern VA. Damascus to Bland, VA would make for a nice trip including the always favorited Grayson Highlands. If you are thinking closer to home then Williamstown,MA to Hanover, NH is a solid section over some proper mountains with resupply in Manchester Center and Rutland pretty evenly along the way.

johnnybgood
01-08-2014, 04:06
Bartram/Foothills Trail is very scenic and much less traveled : url]www.foothillstrail.org[/url]

Closer to home is the Loyalsock Trail in western Pa.

Cookerhiker
01-08-2014, 08:26
thanks for the feedback, could you recommend any non AT trails in eastern PA or that area that would take about a week?

The Susquehannock Trail in North-central PA is an 85 mile loop and quite scenic, not for views but for the forest itself. And in June, you should find some laurel & rhododendron blooming.

Blissful
01-08-2014, 10:33
Come down and do the Tuscarora Trail. PATC has constructed some awesome shelter sites, and you'll likely have it to yourself. Check it out. http://www.patc.net for more info