PDA

View Full Version : AT Primitive Campsite Locations?

eportfolio
01-08-2014, 08:34
Does anyone know of or have a list of GPS coordinates for the primitive campsites scattered around the Appalachian Trail? Right now I'm looking specifically for Virginia. Thank you!

HikerMom58
01-08-2014, 08:43
Do you have a Awol guidebook? They list campsites in there. I'm assuming you want to avoid staying in or around shelters? What section of VA are you looking at?

eportfolio
01-08-2014, 09:38
Do you have a Awol guidebook? They list campsites in there. I'm assuming you want to avoid staying in or around shelters? What section of VA are you looking at?

I do not have the Awol guidebook, but I'll certainly look into it! I take scouts (from Virginia Beach) out on the AT once a month to do 10-mile sections at a time. I like to leave Friday night, camp near the cars so they don't have to pack their gear in (I've got a separate group of boys that do longer "backpacking treks" that don't require car camping), then start our day hike on Saturday morning. So I'm trying to find as many free places to set up tents close to the trail to minimize travel times. Utilizing free primitive sites allows me to keep costs down for these boys. They already pay a fee for transportation, so anything helps...

During my treks, I've noticed many undocumented primitive sites along the trail. Some close to parking areas, others further away. Since I'm a section hiker, knowing the locations of these campsites (in addition to shelters) would be a great benefit. I'm definately going to begin noting their GPS coordinates as I pass them in the future.

I'm interested in most of Virginia. Right now I'm planning treks around Front Royal, Roanoke, and Wytheville.

HikerMom58
01-08-2014, 09:52
Got ya!! :) I'll see what I can find around the Roanoke area and get back to you.

That's nice of you to take the boys out for some hiking on the AT... sweet!

moldy
01-08-2014, 10:00
The 2 guidebooks and the maps will annotate some of the more formal campsites. No such comprehensive list with GPS coordinates exists for primitive campsites. Many new campsites are built each year by hikers, some campsites are obliterated by trail clubs. One of the basic freedoms of hiking the Appalachian Trail is that any flat spot near water, preferably away from roads and out of sight of the trail can and will be used to camp with little effort. Even more so now with the proliferation of hammock tents who don't need the flat spot, only 2 trees 12 feet apart. The Appalachian Trail in Virginia is full of such places.

Blissful
01-08-2014, 10:29
Please be sure to practice Leave No Trace principles. Take the skilled backpackers out and use regular campgrounds for the younger ones. Though they all should be able to do an overnight backpacking trip. Mine did his first at age ten but other kids have done it a lot younger. But Shenandoah provides good campgrounds and then the opportunity to do AT hiking. There are a few good paid national forest areas too along the Blue Ridge Parkway area (Sherando, Cave mtn Lake, Otter Creek, etc with side trail access). Maryland is also a great place for scouts, and you can camp at Greenbrier State park with side access to the AT. PATC also has good maps and guidebooks to plan your hikes from Rockfish Gap north. http://www.patc.net And be sure to become a member.

Coffee
01-08-2014, 10:37
The problem with taking groups to "primitive" sites is that those sites will soon become "established" due to the impact. I've camped in some primitive sites in SNP but I would not recommend such sites for more than a couple of campers at a time who are skilled in LNT practices.

HikerMom58
01-08-2014, 10:47
The 2 guidebooks and the maps will annotate some of the more formal campsites. No such comprehensive list with GPS coordinates exists for primitive campsites. Many new campsites are built each year by hikers, some campsites are obliterated by trail clubs. One of the basic freedoms of hiking the Appalachian Trail is that any flat spot near water, preferably away from roads and out of sight of the trail can and will be used to camp with little effort. Even more so now with the proliferation of hammock tents who don't need the flat spot, only 2 trees 12 feet apart. The Appalachian Trail in Virginia is full of such places.

That's the truth...

I just looked at my book. The possibilities are endless!

First suggestion would be Jennings Creek VA 614. They have a swimming hole along with lots of campsites available. The cars would be nearby. You could hike to Cornelius Creek Shelter roughly 10 miles, going through. There are places to park cars off the Blue Ridge Parkway and it's only a 1 mile walk on the fire road to Cornelius Creek... that's a nice shelter with lots of tenting sites available.

I have many more suggestions ... Bobblets Gap Shelter is less than a mile from a really nice big parking area (only the locals know that you can access that shelter from that parking lot :)) 10 miles away is an easy pickup point at Bear Wallow Gap. All this is on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

If you wanted the boys to do McAfee Knob, I checked with the owners of a country store (about 2 miles away) this past summer, they offer free tenting on their property in Catawba, VA. The hike to the Knob- out and back would be about 6+ miles.

You could do Tinker Cliffs that way, as well, in Daleville. If you wanted to tent in my backyard for that, I'd be willing to host. We have a backyard that has a flat area & is backed up by the woods.

If you wanted to do Apple Orchard Mt. and the guillotine, you could easily camp at Thunder Hill Shelter and surrounding camp sites. Less than a mile from the BRP parking.

Endless possibilities!

:)Whooops... maybe I should ask how many will be coming... some of those ideas might not work out for a really large group of Boy Scouts. :P

eportfolio
01-08-2014, 10:59
[/B]

That's the truth...

I just looked at my book. The possibilities are endless!

First suggestion would be Jennings Creek VA 614. They have a swimming hole along with lots of campsites available. The cars would be nearby. You could hike to Cornelius Creek Shelter roughly 10 miles, going through. There are places to park cars off the Blue Ridge Parkway and it's only a 1 mile walk on the fire road to Cornelius Creek... that's a nice shelter with lots of tenting sites available.

I have many more suggestions ... Bobblets Gap Shelter is less than a mile from a really nice big parking area (only the locals know that you can access that shelter from that parking lot :)) 10 miles away is an easy pickup point at Bear Wallow Gap. All this is on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

If you wanted the boys to do McAfee Knob, I checked with the owners of a country store (about 2 miles away) this past summer, they offer free tenting on their property in Catawba, VA. The hike to the Knob- out and back would be about 6+ miles.

You could do Tinker Cliffs that way, as well, in Daleville. If you wanted to tent in my backyard for that, I'd be willing to host. We have a backyard that has a flat area & is backed up by the woods.

If you wanted to do Apple Orchard Mt. and the guillotine, you could easily camp at Thunder Hill Shelter and surrounding camp sites. Less than a mile from the BRP parking.

Endless possibilities! :)

Hikermom58, Thank you for taking the time to find some suggestions! As it turns out, one of our backpacking trips this summer is to McAfee Knob! For that, I think we'll be doing a 20-miler from US-220 to VA-311. Haven't worked out the details yet, but since that is with my backpacking group of scouts, car camping won't be an issue. But I may still have to check out the country store arrangement! Do you recall the name of the store?

HikerMom58
01-08-2014, 11:05
Ahh...it's right near the Homeplace in Catawba. I can't remember right off the top of my head.... I'll see if I can find that out for ya.

How many will be with you?

Yeah, that's a fun 20- miler!! :)

eportfolio
01-08-2014, 11:40
HikerMom58,

Hard to pin down numbers, but I usually have about 6 tents +/-. This could be a popular trip so numbers may be higher. If so, we probably wouldn't impose on a property owner we don't know and just head to the trail. But I would like the info in case we do a shorter day hike in the same area. This area is on my radar for next year's planning.

Slo-go'en
01-08-2014, 12:18
First off, you don't have to pay to camp along the AT in Virginia (the only fee sites are in the National Parks and the White Mountains). Private or state campgrounds are of course pay to stay.

Primitive campsites are typically solo sites, their not really suitable for groups. It's relatively easy to find a spot to put up one tent, finding a suitable spot for 6 is a lot harder. Larger, non-shelter campsites near water typically are also near or next to a road and are not desirable places to camp, especially on a weekend when a drunken party might show up.

Groups taking over shelters is not a way to make friends on the trail, but shelter locations generally have spots for a number of tents nearby. You also have access to good water and a privy which makes staying near a shelter very desirable. You also know where they are so it's eaiser to plan a trip.

MDSection12
01-08-2014, 12:18
Not in MD. Camping is only allowed at designated shelter sites. :(

Pogo Memorial Campground is a cool, shelter-less site though. :)

Please be sure to practice Leave No Trace principles. Take the skilled backpackers out and use regular campgrounds for the younger ones. Though they all should be able to do an overnight backpacking trip. Mine did his first at age ten but other kids have done it a lot younger. But Shenandoah provides good campgrounds and then the opportunity to do AT hiking. There are a few good paid national forest areas too along the Blue Ridge Parkway area (Sherando, Cave mtn Lake, Otter Creek, etc with side trail access). Maryland is also a great place for scouts, and you can camp at Greenbrier State park with side access to the AT. PATC also has good maps and guidebooks to plan your hikes from Rockfish Gap north. http://www.patc.net And be sure to become a member.
Excellent points.

Another good one in MD is Washington Monument State Park. They have a huge 'youth group' site that is literall a few feet from the AT, and is only made available to groups such as the scouts.

The problem with taking groups to "primitive" sites is that those sites will soon become "established" due to the impact. I've camped in some primitive sites in SNP but I would not recommend such sites for more than a couple of campers at a time who are skilled in LNT practices.
Exactly. I know my view of scouts on the AT is unpopular on here, but LNT says that a group of more than ten people is to be split up to limit impact. I've been told my scoutmasters that this isn't practical... My response was 'then neither is hiking the AT.' I know that sounds calloused but if you can't follow the same rules we all are expected to follow what are you teaching your scouts?

For the record, I was a scout and have no problem with their activities... I just think the AT is not a good place for any large group.

HikerMom58
01-08-2014, 12:47
HikerMom58,

Hard to pin down numbers, but I usually have about 6 tents +/-. This could be a popular trip so numbers may be higher. If so, we probably wouldn't impose on a property owner we don't know and just head to the trail. But I would like the info in case we do a shorter day hike in the same area. This area is on my radar for next year's planning.

Okay... I just found the name of the place. It's Catawba Grocery. phone # is 540-384-8050. They sell cow tails there too. I don't know if you've ever had a cow tail but I think they taste really good. :) I turned Chin Music on to them this year...he thru-hiked in 2013. :)

All the advice everyone else if throwing out is valid. Do you know when you are planning to hike exactly? What month this summer?

My daughter and I stayed at the Darlington shelter in PA last May... OH. MY. GOSH. that shelter and surrounding campsites were completely overrun with 2 separate HUGE large groups... who knew? One of the groups was a boy scout group... it was HUGE! Way more then 6+ tents. We had to set up our tents in the "weeds".... no joke. I didn't have a problem with it, the leaders and boys were awesome. It's the people's trail... you gotta roll with it... no sense in getting all up in a wad about it. Did we wish that we could have enjoyed the area?.. Sure thing! But, it wasn't meant to be.... we dealt with it. That's been my personal experiences with large groups so far.

Wow, that brings back memories... I got a text from ATMilkman, while we were at that shelter, telling me about the car running into hikers at Trail Days in Damascus...:eek:

eportfolio
01-08-2014, 12:47
I appreciate the guidance on LNT and rules for groups. We are aware of and follow all of those rules. We have a great group of responsible scouts who love to hike the AT in small groups.

So getting back to the root of my question, I really just want to know if anyone is familiar with any established campsites within 0.1 or 0.2 miles of a parking area along the AT.

I understand that we're allowed (in most areas) to camp anywhere along the trail (at an appropriate distance off the trail), but there are many locations where hikers have established primitive campsites at certain locations along the trail. I know I have marked several of these areas with my GPS that I can share, and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. An example are the "unpublished" campsites beside the Tye River between the Priest and Three Ridges in VA or the campsite beside the parking area at Wilbur Dam Road near Lake Watauga in TN.

Thank you for all of the helpful responses so far!

01-08-2014, 19:44
good parking at Petites Gap, which is at mile post ~27 on the blue ridge parkway, north it is a half mile gentle up then about a 8 mile ez down to Matts Creek shelter where there is tons of campsites, a half mile further is the James river, which has tons of camping right on the beach IF the water level is normal, if high, they are underwater. About a mile north of petites gap is a huge campsite that also has an old logging road that goes down to a gravel road that is about 2-3 miles down. Also a mile north of Matts Creek shelter is a parking lot, then the next shelter is Johns?? I do not have my book in front of me, and there are tons of campsites at this shelter and just up the hill is a pond. The next shelter is in front of a pond that has tons of campsites also.

aficion
01-08-2014, 20:11
I appreciate the guidance on LNT and rules for groups. We are aware of and follow all of those rules. We have a great group of responsible scouts who love to hike the AT in small groups.

So getting back to the root of my question, I really just want to know if anyone is familiar with any established campsites within 0.1 or 0.2 miles of a parking area along the AT.

I understand that we're allowed (in most areas) to camp anywhere along the trail (at an appropriate distance off the trail), but there are many locations where hikers have established primitive campsites at certain locations along the trail. I know I have marked several of these areas with my GPS that I can share, and was wondering if anyone else has done the same. An example are the "unpublished" campsites beside the Tye River between the Priest and Three Ridges in VA or the campsite beside the parking area at Wilbur Dam Road near Lake Watauga in TN.

Thank you for all of the helpful responses so far!Wiggins Spring Road which is also USFS 63 leads to Salt Log Gap where it is crossed by the AT.

There is plenty of parking, a spring, and an open meadow for camping right there. Beautiful Hiking either North or South from this spot. To get there go to Charlottesville then south on 29. At Amherst head west on highway 60. After you pass Long Mountain Wayside at the top of the mountain,(the AT crosses 60 here), continue west to Coffeytown Rd. Turn North and follow the signs to the Mt Pleasant National Scenic Hiking Area. Parking is on the left after you cross the AT.:)

ginterparkdj
01-16-2014, 01:17
Wiggins Spring Road which is also USFS 63 leads to Salt Log Gap where it is crossed by the AT.

There is plenty of parking, a spring, and an open meadow for camping right there. Beautiful Hiking either North or South from this spot. To get there go to Charlottesville then south on 29. At Amherst head west on highway 60. After you pass Long Mountain Wayside at the top of the mountain,(the AT crosses 60 here), continue west to Coffeytown Rd. Turn North and follow the signs to the Mt Pleasant National Scenic Hiking Area. Parking is on the left after you cross the AT.:)

There is a great primitive site near Little Piney River about 5-6 miles north of the parking. The fish hatchery is about another 4-5 north of the camp site which makes for a good 10 mile point to point. We did this in late November with my son's troop. 7 degrees that night with a surprise dusting of snow. Good times.

slbirdnerd
01-16-2014, 12:38
The AT Guide is cheap and will tell you what you need to know, and much more helpful info as well: http://www.theatguide.com/. The boys will probably also enjoy referring to it and learning from it. (I'm a Scouter.)

The Weasel
01-16-2014, 12:45
As a long-time Scouter, I'd ask you to rethink your plan of camping with newer Scouts within 1/10-2/10 of trailheads. Campsite areas like that are usually highly used by partiers and, not infrequently, the homeless. The sites are generally fairly small, and offer no water or privies. That can make an area dubious for younger Scouts, and borderline unsafe in terms of Youth Protection Guidelines and the requirements behind your Local Tour Permit. Additionally, I'd be very uncomfortable leaving gear for a group unsupervised for a day hike in such a location, since the site would be visible to not only anyone who also stayed there that night, but the inevitable large groups of dayhikers who will access the trail.

TW

Studlintsean
01-16-2014, 13:09
Might have already been mentioned (I didnt read) but SNP campgrounds could be used to cover the entire park, Front Royal could be used (hostel) to cover US522 (Front Royal) to US 55 Linden). You could use Sky Meadows StatePark to cover the area between US50 (Ashby Gap) and US 55 (Linden), Bear's Den, and Black burn Trail Center. This should cover just about SNP North to Harpers Ferry.

skell23
01-16-2014, 23:50
Pedlar Dam is in this area as well and has a ton of free camping with access to the AT and Panther Falls makes for a good Scout Trip. We took the Scouts out and back to Brown Mountain Creek Shelter. Easy elevation and plenty of water. There is a nice camping area just below the shelter by the bridge so you don't bother any the hikers that don't like being around Scouts. Both of these locations give you plenty of options. Go to hiking upward and search for the Cold Mountain and Tar Jacket Ridge Hikes.

skell23
01-16-2014, 23:51
Pedlar Dam is in this area as well and has a ton of free camping with access to the AT and Panther Falls makes for a good Scout Trip. We took the Scouts out and back to Brown Mountain Creek Shelter. Easy elevation and plenty of water. There is a nice camping area just below the shelter by the bridge so you don't bother any the hikers that don't like being around Scouts. Both of these locations give you plenty of options. Go to hiking upward and search for the Cold Mountain and Tar Jacket Ridge Hikes.

I was referencing the post that gave you directions to Wiggins Road near Route 60

mtntopper
01-17-2014, 21:02

How many would be in your group?

I