PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol type for stove

Baldbaron
01-08-2014, 13:09
I see that Wally World has Heet on sale. Their yellow bottle, Methyl Alcohol is 4 for $6.00, and their red bottles, Isopropyl Alcohol is 4 for $6.98. What is the difference for using in an alcohol stove. Thanks in advance

MDSection12
01-08-2014, 13:10
You want methyl alcohol. Yellow bottle. I use denatured alcohol though, it's less than $20 for a gallon at the hardware store.

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2014, 13:33
Denatured alcohol is usually ethyl alcohol (ethanol - the stuff in booze) with something, typically methyl alcohol (methanol), added to "denature" it - to make it poisonous so you can't drink it (otherwise it would be regulated and taxed). Yellow HEET is pretty much pure methanol (99%) with unknown traces of what are likely light oils (info is proprietary). Red HEET is 99% isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol), typically found in "rubbing alcohol" and will smoke when burned - avoid as stove fuel. Denatured ethanol has a slightly higher heating value than methanol, but it isn't worth fussing over from a hiker standpoint.

Baldbaron
01-08-2014, 13:44
Thanks MD and 4eyed. I have used denatured from the paint department at the big box hardware store, but that looked like a good deal. Just didn't know what the difference would be.

QiWiz
01-09-2014, 17:45
Use denatured alcohol or HEET in yellow bottle only - NOT RED!

Son Driven
01-09-2014, 17:58
I see that Wally World has Heet on sale. Their yellow bottle, Methyl Alcohol is 4 for $6.00, and their red bottles, Isopropyl Alcohol is 4 for $6.98. What is the difference for using in an alcohol stove. Thanks in advance

I tested both, and the Isopropyl burns dirty and leaves a thick coat of soot on your cook wear.