PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina closes roads in the GSMNP

Rain Man
08-31-2005, 08:48
Just heard on National Public Radio here in Tennessee that Katrina knocked down so many trees in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, that Hwy 441 and many secondary park roads have been closed. Hwy 441 is the main road that runs from Gatlinburg, TN over Newfound Gap to Cherokee, NC.

Any of you care to report on other roads and/or trails closed/blocked in the Park due to Hurricane Katrina this weekend?

Or, in north Georgia? I saw on television news that tornados hit Helen, GA and surrounding area hard. Any significant damage to the AT down there?

Rain Man

Rockjock
08-31-2005, 11:30
According to their website Forge Creek Road and Round Bottom are also closed. I am planning to call them later this week to see if any trails/campsites are closed (other than the ones for bears) since I have plans to be in the Abrams Creek area over the holiday.

Rock

BlackCloud
08-31-2005, 13:42
Roads, Trails, Campgrounds, and Picnic Areas

August 30, 2005

Road and facility closures may change throughout the day. For updated road and weather information please call (865) 436-1200. Once you hear a voice, dial extension 631 for road information or extension 630 for a weather forecast. You may wish to write this number down when traveling to the area for handy reference for road and weather updates. This webpage is updated 2-3 times a week. For the most current report, please call the number listed above.

Roads Closed
Closures may change throughout the day. Please call the phone number listed above for the most current information.
• Newfound Gap Road
• Heintooga/Round Bottom Road temporarily closed due to weather
• Forge Creek Road is closed due to storm damage.
• Parsons Branch Road - This road was severely damaged by a flood. The park plans to repair the road, but no date for reopening it has been established yet.
• Cades Cove Loop Road - Closed every Wednesday and Saturday morning until 10:00 AM through September 21, 2005 to allow pedestrians and bicyclists to enjoy the cove.

Mother Nature
08-31-2005, 23:06
Smokestack and I maintain the section from Blue Ridge Gap to near Bly Gap in GA. We are planning on checking out the trail in that section sometime this weekend if we are able to gas up our truck. We live near Helen, GA and as of late this evening most of the gas stations in our area have run out of gas and covered the pumps.

As soon as we have had a visual on the trail I will post an update of trail conditions.

Mother Nature

BlackCloud
09-01-2005, 14:17
Roads, Trails, Campgrounds, and Picnic Areas

September 1, 2005

Road and facility closures may change throughout the day. For updated road and weather information please call (865) 436-1200. Once you hear a voice, dial extension 631 for road information or extension 630 for a weather forecast. You may wish to write this number down when traveling to the area for handy reference for road and weather updates. This webpage is updated 2-3 times a week. For the most current report, please call the number listed above.

Roads Closed
Closures may change throughout the day. Please call the phone number listed above for the most current information.
• Parsons Branch Road - This road was severely damaged by a flood. The park plans to repair the road, but no date for reopening it has been established yet.
• Cades Cove Loop Road - Closed every Wednesday and Saturday morning until 10:00 AM through September 21, 2005 to allow pedestrians and bicyclists to enjoy the cove.