PDA

View Full Version : FS: Mountain Hardwear UltrLamina sleeping bag

atbackpacker
01-08-2014, 17:24
this is a women's 15 deg in regular size, stored uncompressed and brand new with tags. i don't know the exact specs... under 3lbs if my memory serves me right. comes with a sil-nylon compression sack and large mesh bag for storage.
i originally purchased this for my daughter a year ago and it was never used. i'm looking to sell this to someone who will get some use out it. $160 shipped conus.
p.m. me if you are interested.255242552525526

atbackpacker
01-23-2014, 18:27
price dropped to $120 shipped.

Mtn Scout
02-10-2014, 17:00
i have a 9 year old girl who is getting into hiking with me. What is the length?

HooKooDooKu
02-10-2014, 17:49
Until the OP can confirm, the tag pictured looks to be a 'Regular' size.

The bag looks to be a 2012 or 2013 model and should match these specifications (http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-ultralamina-15-womens-sleeping-bag-15-degree-synthetic-mhw1191?CMP_SKU=MHW1191&MER=0406&mr:trackingCode=E5CFFB03-A6D9-E211-92D4-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&AID=10279061&PID=1609763&SID=tfc_-_13_37_140210_810161941d3fed2d9fd33293b786f57d%3A0 000).

I've been purchasing 2013 model ultralamina's in the last year for me and my sons to camp. I've got a 32-regular, 32-long and a 15-long. The specifications for ultralamina's lists it as one of the lightest (Cat's Meow is a few oz lighter) and the most compressible (nothing is more compressible) for a synthetic bag (down bags can be lighter and more compressible... but they would be more $$$).

I can also say that $120 is a great price. That's better than the clearance prices I paid for any of my ultralaminas... I would purchase it myself if I needed another bag for the up-coming with my pre-teen sons.

Just Bill
02-10-2014, 19:58
Hoo-
I heard good things about this bag as well- by all accounts looks to be the best budget synthetic around- looks like you confirm? Any complaints. Sorry to hijack the thread and don't mean to queer the deal- but this is a highly regarded bag by all reviews i've seen and looks to be a solid recommendation for any hiker looking to balance the cost/weight equation.

Damn Yankee
02-10-2014, 21:50
PM inbound

Emerson Bigills
02-10-2014, 22:03
Tagging onto Bill, I too have an Ultra Lamina. Mine is the 20 degree bag, and it has done fine numerous times. Used it a couple weeks ago in mid-20's and was toasty warm with just my base layer on.

HooKooDooKu
02-10-2014, 22:42
Just Bill,
I would only call the Ultralamina the "best budget" bag when you can pick it up at these kinds of clearance prices.

Full price for an Ultralamina is around $275. But there are plenty of other quality synthetics available in the $150 to $200 price range. As an example is the North Face Cat's Meow. It is a 20 degree bag that is a few ounces lighter than the Ultralamina for a full price of about $200. But the Cat's Meow stuff size as much larger than the Ultralamina.

Stuff size is where the Ultralamina seems to really shine. It stuffs down smaller than some high quality down bags. As an example, the specs for the Marmot Plasma 15, a bag with a full price of $500, list a stuff size of 7.5x15.5. The ultralamina 15 specs for stuff size is 7x13.

I purchased my 32 degree bags about this time last year from Campmor when they had them clearanced for around $150. I had previously tried some fleece sleeping bags. They were 2# but only good for the warmest of weather. The 32 degree ultralamina matched that 2# weight, compressed just a little smaller than fleece, and were useful for almost a full three seasons of hiking. I last used the 32 degree bag over Veteran's Day at a low elevation hike in GSMNP. The bag proved to not quite be warm enough (not without adding layers). So a few weeks ago, I purchased the Men's 15 degree Long version of this bag at a clearance price (plus coupons) at Sierra Trading Post for about $130. Hadn't gotten a chance to use it yet, but I expect it to be perfect for March and November hikes at low elevations in GSMNP as well as October hikes at upper elevations in GSMNP.

At $120, the OP's bag New With Tags is a great price. It's NOT the 2014 version of the bag. Mountain Hardware changed the specifications for 2014. The older bags like the OPs and the ones I've bought are partial zip down both sides (allows you to fold the bag off your chest). The newer bags for 2014 have zips on only one side and are a couple of oz lighter.

These older Mountain Hardware Ultralamina's are disappearing from clearance bins. Pretty much about the only things I can find still out there are the long sizes.
Here's a couple examples:
Woman's Ultralamina 32 degree long for $170 at REI (http://www.rei.com/product/860983/mountain-hardwear-ultralamina-32-sleeping-bag-womens-long-2012-closeout)
Men's Ultralamina 45 degree long for $150 at REI (http://www.rei.com/product/860985/mountain-hardwear-ultralamina-45-sleeping-bag-long-2012-closeout)
Men's Ultralamina 32 degree long for $130-$150 at Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mountain-hardwear-15-f-ultralamina-sleeping-bag-long-synthetic-mummy~p~5501p/) (depends upon how go a coupon you can find)

So the OP seems to be offering a really good price on what I think is a Regular size bag (which will be a few ounces lighter than a long).

4shot
02-10-2014, 22:50
I can also say that $120 is a great price. That's better than the clearance prices I paid for any of my ultralaminas... I would purchase it myself if I needed another bag for the up-coming with my pre-teen sons.

I exchanged some PM's with the seller about this item. I just bought my wife an Ultralamina in the 15. Because we are getting into hammocks I opted for the single zip model. But this price is well beyond fair and well below what I paid (and I got a good deal on mine). I can't believe it hasn't sold yet and suggested he try on ebay. Maybe it's too soon after Christmas. After some research, I thought this bag was optimal for temp/weight/price. Particularly since whenever the temps are low enough to require a 15* degree bag, we aren't out for many nights/miles.At $120, this bag is an absolute steal for someone.

atbackpacker
02-11-2014, 09:35
i have a 9 year old girl who is getting into hiking with me. What is the length?
the bag length is a regular. (70 inches long)

atbackpacker
02-11-2014, 09:44
I exchanged some PM's with the seller about this item. I just bought my wife an Ultralamina in the 15. Because we are getting into hammocks I opted for the single zip model. But this price is well beyond fair and well below what I paid (and I got a good deal on mine). I can't believe it hasn't sold yet and suggested he try on ebay. Maybe it's too soon after Christmas. After some research, I thought this bag was optimal for temp/weight/price. Particularly since whenever the temps are low enough to require a 15* degree bag, we aren't out for many nights/miles.At $120, this bag is an absolute steal for someone.

thanks 4shot...i think it's a great price too since it includes shipping. i've not tried to sell on ebay yet but if i post it there the price will go back up to $160. i'm just trying to offer fellow hikers a good deal on a quality synthetic bag.

atbackpacker
02-11-2014, 10:12
Hoo-
I heard good things about this bag as well- by all accounts looks to be the best budget synthetic around- looks like you confirm? Any complaints. Sorry to hijack the thread and don't mean to queer the deal- but this is a highly regarded bag by all reviews i've seen and looks to be a solid recommendation for any hiker looking to balance the cost/weight equation.
JB, i don't think you've hijacked the thread (maybe helped). i use the same bag in a men's regular and find it to be warm with a silky feel on the inside. i could have purchased a down bag but didn't want to spend that kind of dough for a bag that may be 8oz. lighter and $200 to $300 more. i live 20 minutes south of wind gap and just about every time i go hiking it's raining or pouring. i don't mind the rain but didn't want to ruin a down bag with moisture. they (the manufacturers) claim synthetic bags still insulate when wet and down does not.

mwestley
02-11-2014, 14:34
I'll take it if it's still up for grabs.

Mountain Springs
02-12-2014, 19:23
FWIW, I have the same bag and it's great. Warm, quite compressible, and a good value at this price.

atbackpacker
02-13-2014, 13:13
the sleeping bag is sold. thanks mark