PDA

View Full Version : New Outfitter in Northern VA DELIVERS TO THRU HIKERS!!!

ccthumbs
01-08-2014, 21:51
ALL,
My name is Chuck. We've just opened an outfitter in Northern VA (Purcellville) and we plan to DELIVER to thru Hikers between Rt. 50 (Ashby Gap) and Harpers Ferry. Our Name is Appalachian Outdoor Readiness & Essentials. We are here to make YOUR trail magic! Please check us out at www.facebook.com/appalachianoutdoorreadiness (http://www.facebook.com/appalachianoutdoorreadiness)
We look forward to supporting you!!! I've posted here to make the announcement, but also to get your input on what types of items you believe that we should carry for resupply of thru hikers on the AT.

Thanks! See you on the trail!

Tuckahoe
01-09-2014, 08:25
Glad to see another outfitter. Will your delivery service be available to section hikers as well?

hikerboy57
01-09-2014, 08:34
what services will you offer section hikers?

kayak karl
01-09-2014, 08:45
im sure if you section includes "Rt. 50 (Ashby Gap) and Harpers Ferry" they would help.
any common gear, but i don't see many carrying hammocking stuff. i would pose this question on hammock forum as well.

coach lou
01-09-2014, 08:55
I'm a lowly section hiker....can I purchase supplies from you?

kayak karl
01-09-2014, 09:17
maybe change your post and include section hikers. you seem to of hurt their feelings :rolleyes:

hikerboy57
01-09-2014, 09:45
what happens if a "thru hiker" doesnt finish the trail. is there a surcharge?

Coffee
01-09-2014, 09:59
I'm pretty sure the guy didn't mean to say he was excluding section hikers. Wow, WB can be ridiculous sometimes.

atmilkman
01-09-2014, 10:04
I'm worse than those section hikers above. I'm sectioning the AT doing (GOD forbid) day hikes. I don't suppose I could get the time of day could I. I saw on the facebook page you were giving out free hand scans. Is this how you can tell who is a thru-hiker and who is not?

hikerboy57
01-09-2014, 10:04
well regardless, they should carry nido.and bacon.

atmilkman
01-09-2014, 10:07
well regardless, they should carry nido.and bacon.

Don't forget Fritos.

HikerMom58
01-09-2014, 10:20
How bout we do away with the term thru-hikers and just say we are all section hikers!! There would, of course, be those that hike the entire trail, all at one time, completing the entire section!! :sun I have to agree with RN-PCT2015!

atmilkman
01-09-2014, 10:27
How bout we do away with the term thru-hikers and just say we are all section hikers!! There would, of course, be those that hike the entire trail, all at one time, completing the entire section!! :sun I have to agree with RN-PCT2015!
We're just funnin' with him HM. Everybody knows a business couldn't survive on thru-hikers only. By the way how have you been. And, by the way :welcome:welcome Chuck! Glad your here. Hope business goes well.

Tuckahoe
01-09-2014, 10:42
Wow. I didn't mean to start a poo storm. I only asked because I've wanted to do a train station to station section hike and Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro/Charlottesviile is perfect. I live a block from the Williamsburg station and thought getting there and back by only train would be cool.

HikerMom58
01-09-2014, 10:43
We're just funnin' with him HM. Everybody knows a business couldn't survive on thru-hikers only. By the way how have you been. And, by the way :welcome:welcome Chuck! Glad your here. Hope business goes well.

Sweet atmilkman... I'm doing well! Good to see you! :>) I add my welcome 2 Chuck!

Namtrag
01-09-2014, 11:24
I don't get the big deal about section hikers, just act like you are a thru hiker, and voila, you are golden.

Son Driven
01-09-2014, 11:36
"Really" I do not get why section hikers are so sensitive? I hiked with a section hiker for a few day's who went on & on how section hikers are slighted. However, I did hike with another section hiker who was awesome, he managed to put a fire under my butt and drove me through the whites.

Rolls Kanardly
01-09-2014, 13:25
[QUOTE=Tuckahoe64 I've wanted to do a train station to station section hike and Harpers Ferry to Waynesboro/Charlottesviile is perfect.[/QUOTE]

Tuckahoe64, talk to me about trains. I have always thought it would be really cool to be at or around Harrisburg, PA during a hike and take a train into DC for the Capitol Fourth on the 4th of July. Any suggestions?

Rolls

Tuckahoe
01-09-2014, 14:00
Tuckahoe64, talk to me about trains. I have always thought it would be really cool to be at or around Harrisburg, PA during a hike and take a train into DC for the Capitol Fourth on the 4th of July. Any suggestions?

Rolls

Rolls, go to the Amtrak websit and look up the train schedule and fares information. You can get the train from Harrisburg to DC with a transfer in Philly, but it looks like the tickets would be about $74 one way as the cheapest fare (up to $223. I am personally of the opinion that the best location from head from into DC is Harpers Ferry, with both Amtrak Service and MARC commuter trains.

PA Amtrak stations -- http://www.amtrak.com/html/stations_PA.html

kayak karl
01-09-2014, 15:19
or just be a hiker :)
the OP wants to know what to carry for supplies and letting people know he will deliver to trail for those hiking thru. also in another post said he will open at 7am.
i don't know why they are mocking him?

blue blaze cafe
01-09-2014, 17:08
Hi Chuck, welcome to White Blaze and congratulations on your new venture!
Wishing you the best of success!

Sarcasm the elf
01-09-2014, 23:32
Rolls, go to the Amtrak websit and look up the train schedule and fares information. You can get the train from Harrisburg to DC with a transfer in Philly, but it looks like the tickets would be about $74 one way as the cheapest fare (up to $223. I am personally of the opinion that the best location from head from into DC is Harpers Ferry, with both Amtrak Service and MARC commuter trains.

PA Amtrak stations -- http://www.amtrak.com/html/stations_PA.html

I don't mean to keep drifting this thread, but Amtrak is a great way to get to the trail. Took the train from CT to GA for my section hike this year, I was able to legally bring all my gear except for my fuel canister. The Amtrak seats are huge compared to those on an airplane and I was able to sleep comfortable and arrive rested. Even better, I didn't have to deal with getting to a major airport, dealing with the TSA, or any other stressful airline nonsense. I'm absolutely traveling by train for my future hikes.

pythonathiker
01-10-2014, 12:28
I had the pleasure of meeting Chuck just after his store opened. He was extremely nice and excited to help ALL hikers! When we told him about our hiking group named Trail Dames, he offered to let us have meetings at his store and then was interested in sponsoring our group. I wish him the best of luck!

hikerboy57
01-10-2014, 12:36
thats awesome!! good luck, chuck!!

sbeatrice13
01-10-2014, 15:15
This is pretty sweet! :)

ccthumbs
01-26-2014, 09:28
Hey folks, Sorry for the confusion. I'm learning the ropes and terminology... Didn't mean to offend by the "Thru-Hiker" term. Our intent is to support ALL hikers on the AT. The section that we're closest to runs from Ashby Gap to Harpers Ferry. We can shuttle from Bear's Den down to our shop. Our location is within 1 Mile of the following: An OUTSTANDING hardware store, A Food Lion Grocery Store, a Barber shop, a health food Store, a distillery, and at least four excellent restaurants. We are striving to hopefully carry Most of what Hikers will need for resupply: Camp Food, Sundry items, Socks, Fuel(denatured alc., isobutane cannisters, heat tabs, and white gas.) stoves sleeping bag liners, hammocks, knives, sporks, packs, tents, and apparel and shoes from, The North Face, Kuhl, Colombia, Outdoor Research, Mountain Hardware, Vasque, Keen, and moore. We are ALWAYS open to suggestions to which types of items to carry... Oh yeah, and we're working on carrying ice cream too! We are located at 198 N 21st St. STE B in Purcellville, VA 20132. Our Number is 540 338 2437. Check us on FB at www.facebook.com/appalachianoutdoorreadiness. I look forward to your input!!!

LAF
01-26-2014, 09:48
Thanks Chuck, sounds sweet - I've added you to my list, maybe see you early June. And best of luck with your new venture!

coach lou
01-26-2014, 10:28
Chuck, don't take us too serious....we don't........just a bunch of OLD kids breakin' chops. Will stop in Memorial day, on my section hike. :)

HikerMom58
01-26-2014, 10:52
Hey folks, Sorry for the confusion. I'm learning the ropes and terminology... Didn't mean to offend by the "Thru-Hiker" term. Our intent is to support ALL hikers on the AT. The section that we're closest to runs from Ashby Gap to Harpers Ferry. We can shuttle from Bear's Den down to our shop. Our location is within 1 Mile of the following: An OUTSTANDING hardware store, A Food Lion Grocery Store, a Barber shop, a health food Store, a distillery, and at least four excellent restaurants. We are striving to hopefully carry Most of what Hikers will need for resupply: Camp Food, Sundry items, Socks, Fuel(denatured alc., isobutane cannisters, heat tabs, and white gas.) stoves sleeping bag liners, hammocks, knives, sporks, packs, tents, and apparel and shoes from, The North Face, Kuhl, Colombia, Outdoor Research, Mountain Hardware, Vasque, Keen, and moore. We are ALWAYS open to suggestions to which types of items to carry... Oh yeah, and we're working on carrying ice cream too! We are located at 198 N 21st St. STE B in Purcellville, VA 20132. Our Number is 540 338 2437. Check us on FB at www.facebook.com/appalachianoutdoorreadiness (http://www.facebook.com/appalachianoutdoorreadiness). I look forward to your input!!!

Don't worry about being offensive ccthumbs.. you are not. Some can choose to be offended or just be clowning around. :) The clowning around can cause confusion... true dat. So for that reason, people might need to rethink it.
Do you always want to go behind yourself and say?... JUST KIDDING!! ;)

The ones that are truly offended by the term "thru-hiker" are most likely the ones that have seen trail magic signs that read: FOR Thru-hikers Only or by the "trail angels" that set up hiker feeds and ask if you are a thru-hiker, if you say you're a section or day hiker, you aren't welcome to partake of the "trail magic". Both examples are rude and ridiculous, IMHO.

We just had a thread talking about this type of service on the AT. It's a GREAT idea!! I'm sure it is needed and will be appreciated.

Best of luck to you!! I'll spread the word. :)

bfayer
01-27-2014, 10:19
"Really" I do not get why section hikers are so sensitive? I hiked with a section hiker for a few day's who went on & on how section hikers are slighted. However, I did hike with another section hiker who was awesome, he managed to put a fire under my butt and drove me through the whites.

Everybody has their days and they have to vent to someone. I have had several thru hikers unload on me about section hikers because they take up all the shelter space on weekends and other such evil things section hikers do. So it goes both ways.

To me, hikers are hikers and I don't care if they are out for the day or for 5 months.

As for the comments on WB, I don't see anything wrong with a little ribbing back and forth between thru and section hikers. Its like Red Skins and Cowboy fans hanging out together, words are going to fly, but no blood, no foul.

To the Op, I am very glad to have a new outfitter in my AOR. I'll stop in soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk