PDA

View Full Version : New Outfitter Volunteers as a Departure point for Hikes in Northern VA

ccthumbs
01-08-2014, 22:11
My Name is Chuck and we've just opened an Outdoor Camping and Hiking Goods store near the AT in Northern VA. (Purcellville) We will be starting a Hiking Club and Meetup group as well. We wanted to post on this forum to volunteer our Store as a meetup site and departure point. We're about 10 Min from several points on the AT, including Bears Den (Snickers Gap), and Blackburn Trail Center, and Harpers Ferry. The Name of our place is Appalachian Outdoor Readiness & Essentials. We can even open extra early for those setting out on longer days hikes! Please check us out! www.facebook.com/appalachianoutdoorreadiness (http://www.facebook.com/appalachianoutdoorreadiness)

Trailweaver
01-09-2014, 02:55
Congratulations and good luck with your new business! Hope you do well.

Rocket Jones
01-09-2014, 06:57
Always good to see a new local resource. Good luck and hope to see you soon!

hikerboy57
01-09-2014, 09:54
do you plan on providing assistance to section hikers as well?

kayak karl
01-09-2014, 09:59
do you plan on providing assistance to section hikers as well? NO, he just said day hikers on this post, thru's on other. your just out of luck :D

hikerboy57
01-09-2014, 10:03
NO, he just said day hikers on this post, thru's on other. your just out of luck :D
what about multiple day hikers?im in like some sort of hike-classification vortex.
this is all very confusing

moldy
01-09-2014, 10:07
Is that 10 minutes walking? How do you get there? Are you in the books or on a map? Do you have an actual web page for those of us who don't have any facebooks?

FarmerChef
01-09-2014, 15:39
10 minutes is a tiny bit of a stretch. It's 10 minutes tops to Snicker's Gap from downtown P'ville and a bit less than 10 to Blackburn (though I wouldn't rush up that driveway if I liked my car). Harper's Ferry is about 25 minutes minding the speed limit from downtown. Less if you're at one end of town or the other.

To the OP: Where in Purcellville are you? I live a short distance away. If you'd like info on what to stock or other general hiking info, PM me and I can stop by some time to chat or toss some suggestions via WB. There is an outfitter in HF already and many thru's push on into town rather than stopping midway at Rt 9. However, delivery of goods down to Snicker's Gap (Rt. 7) could be very much appreciated since you're still a full day out of town (or more depending on speed). And I'm sure that day hikers who need gear, especially those in western Loudoun would very much appreciate an outfitter out that way since presently we have to drive to HF or hit eastern Loudoun for big box outfitters. The closest big outfitter is in Rockville on the Maryland side or toward's DC (REI).

Will you offer any shuttle services? Round Hill doesn't have a lot to offer but Purcellville has full resupply and Leesburg is only a few miles away with Wally World, hotels and all kinds of goods. Much better for resupply than HF.

kayak karl
01-09-2014, 16:08
what about multiple day hikers?im in like some sort of hike-classification vortex.
this is all very confusing
i agree you do have a vortex going on :)

RED-DOG
01-09-2014, 16:10
Great stuff.

Namtrag
01-09-2014, 16:38
I doubt that the OP will ever come on again, but this could turn into another endless thread like the one the guy started about how rude the rangers were in Kathadin.

ccthumbs
01-11-2014, 13:16
Sorry about any confusion that we caused. We are located in Downtown Purcellville, Right downstairs from Magnolias on the Mill. We're at the Western Terminus of the Washington & Old Dominion Bike Trail on 21st Street. to Hikerboy57: We want to support any and all hikers. Thru Hikers, Day Hikers, Multi Day Hikers and section hikers. We believe that the delivery service that we offer will best support thru hikers. Moldy: Sorry for the confusion. Yes 10 minutes driving. I've spoken with AWOL and we are getting into the 2014 AT guide. We are going to be working with PATC and ATC in Harpers Ferry. We are building our webpage/E-commerce site as we speak. and FarmerChef, you are correct. we're about 25min from HF. However, we will deliver there to Thru Hikers as well. We are building our webpage/E-commerce site as we speak. Farmerchef, I would LOVE to get any and all guidance that you'd like to provide on what we should stock to best support Hikers. We will be carrying things like socks, food, apparel, knives, mess gear, tents, hammocks, etc. We're going to have copies of the AT guide, both North and Southbound as well. Concerning Shuttle services, we are still working that one out. We may shuttle to our store. That one is still TBD.

RED-DOG
01-11-2014, 13:44
Sorry about any confusion that we caused. We are located in Downtown Purcellville, Right downstairs from Magnolias on the Mill. We're at the Western Terminus of the Washington & Old Dominion Bike Trail on 21st Street. to Hikerboy57: We want to support any and all hikers. Thru Hikers, Day Hikers, Multi Day Hikers and section hikers. We believe that the delivery service that we offer will best support thru hikers. Moldy: Sorry for the confusion. Yes 10 minutes driving. I've spoken with AWOL and we are getting into the 2014 AT guide. We are going to be working with PATC and ATC in Harpers Ferry. We are building our webpage/E-commerce site as we speak. and FarmerChef, you are correct. we're about 25min from HF. However, we will deliver there to Thru Hikers as well. We are building our webpage/E-commerce site as we speak. Farmerchef, I would LOVE to get any and all guidance that you'd like to provide on what we should stock to best support Hikers. We will be carrying things like socks, food, apparel, knives, mess gear, tents, hammocks, etc. We're going to have copies of the AT guide, both North and Southbound as well. Concerning Shuttle services, we are still working that one out. We may shuttle to our store. That one is still TBD.
How would a Thru-hiker get to Purcellville from the AT, I personally have never heard of it ? Are you guys gonna be doing Shuttles from and back to AT if so do you have a # where people on the AT can contact you, if no are there a place people can stay/ Camp overnight if they have to. just woundering

Furlough
01-11-2014, 14:59

Good luck with this endeavor. Once you have your web site up please post the link. Love the Purcellville area, would like to stop in later this month/before after my trip to HF.

Furlough

ccthumbs
01-11-2014, 15:28
How would a Thru-hiker get to Purcellville from the AT, I personally have never heard of it ? Are you guys gonna be doing Shuttles from and back to AT if so do you have a # where people on the AT can contact you, if no are there a place people can stay/ Camp overnight if they have to. just woundering

Our Proposed plan is to get the word out on Social Media, but also to post signs at Bear's Den Trail Center, Blackburn Trail Center, and at the ATC in HF. It would have our POC info: Phone number: Website, etc. We would offer to ferry folks out to the store and back, but ideally, we'd be able to coordinate over the phone, take the orders and then deliver to the set location. Our Best Number to contact us is (540) 338 2437. We would definitely be able to shuttle folks out to the store and back to the AT if needed.