PDA

View Full Version : Kennels Smoky Mountains

trinzushi
01-09-2014, 03:41
So Champ and I are looking for a good kennel while I am hiking through the Smoky Mountains this year on my thru-hike attempt. Looking for thru-hiker used and approved kennels who took good care of the dog... Also! Preferably some sort of easy way to get the dog THERE and BACK and not to pricy for the stay/travel/transportation. I plan on stopping at the kennel on my way down to Georgia to approve it before I make the final decision.

I have found a lot of suggestions but few who have used the kennels.. Help is appreciated.
(I have looked into Loving Care kennels as they transport the dog to and from trail for you.. but they do not take un-neutered males over 20lbs.)

Champ and I thank you and wish you a happy 2014!

LynnMT
01-27-2014, 14:10
We used Loving Care Kennels on our 2013 hike for our two dogs. We checked the kennels personally before starting our hike. We found Loving Care to be neat and clean. The owner, Lida, was very pleasant and friendly. We were very happy with the service and highly recommend Loving Care. Lida picked our dogs up at Fontana Dam and returned them to us on the other side of the park.

Keep in mind that you get what you pay for. We passed through another hostel/kennel on the north side of the park. The kennels were dirty, small, and DISGUSTING! Plus, the owner was intoxicated and rude to us when we visited there. Had we left our dogs there, we would have never forgiven ourselves! Always, always, visit a kennel in person before entrusting your pet there.

SawnieRobertson
01-28-2014, 12:07
Champ looks to be a happy, un-neutered Sheltie. Surely, you would not neuter him just to accommodate kennels.

There is a kennel on the "south" side of the Smokies. At one time I considered using it for my un-spayed Standard Poodle. We conversed at length, and their questions pleased me. They breed and show French Bulldogs. Since, obviously, they have un-neutered males at home with them, they had no problem with my girl's breeding status.

I did not hike. If I had been able to do so, I would have scheduled a visit on site with them. I believe I got their name from David's AT GUIDE.

trinzushi
02-04-2014, 15:36
I ended up calling Loving Care Kennels on the phone since I have heard a lot of good things about them. Very pleasant conversation. Champ and I will be meeting them on our way down to Georgia and hopefully things check out. So far I'm happy with the experience I've had. :-) They are also flexible with the 20lb limit.

So excited...... The date is coming soon!!