PDA

View Full Version : summer long sleeved shirt

squeezebox
01-09-2014, 09:48
Thinking of adding a long sleeved button up shirt for summer because of bugs, sun , not warmth.
I'll keep my long sleeved base layer for cool evenings.
I could go to Goodwill, get a polyester, rayon shirt- dries well, light wt, stinky.
Cotton might be possible - washes well, use as bath towel, dip in streams, cool wet shirt during hot summer days, sun block, less stinky, don't really care about how long it takes to dry.
Somewhere I saw a shirt made of bug netting , very light, kinda pricey, goofy looking.
At some point I have to stop thinking of what else to bring!
Your experience / opinion ?

Coffee
01-09-2014, 09:57
It is not a button up shirt but my microweight smartwool zip neck long sleeve has been great in summer weather. I wear it for some of the reasons you mention, mainly bug and sun protection. Keep the zip neck zipped down all the way (to about mid chest) for ventilation.

Mobius
01-09-2014, 10:47
For me, wet cotton would chafe.
I've been happy wearing a "fishing shirt" by Columbia. The name escapes me at the moment. It's nylon or polyester (or both). Very light. Dries fast. Big pockets. Can get stinky though.

9pin
01-09-2014, 11:12
For me, wet cotton would chafe.
I've been happy wearing a "fishing shirt" by Columbia. The name escapes me at the moment. It's nylon or polyester (or both). Very light. Dries fast. Big pockets. Can get stinky though.

this shirt definitely does the job in summer, sleeve comfortably up then down; this shirt is becoming more popular with our meetup hiking group (Obsessive Compulsive Backpackers) and was the shirt of choice during last summer's trip to the Winds and Maroon Bells. I believe it could be the Columbia "PFG".

tarditi
01-09-2014, 11:27
I have a fishing shirt as well as a railriders eco mesh - the RR is super light. Highly recommend.
I modified the cuffs so they can be rolled up, too. http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-mesh-shirt-p-963.html?cPath=104_111

I can wear it on the hottest summer days and not notice - good bug and UV protection.

Namtrag
01-09-2014, 11:30
The Columbia shirt is on my list to buy before the summer.

Mobius
01-09-2014, 11:48
this shirt definitely does the job in summer, sleeve comfortably up then down; this shirt is becoming more popular with our meetup hiking group (Obsessive Compulsive Backpackers) and was the shirt of choice during last summer's trip to the Winds and Maroon Bells. I believe it could be the Columbia "PFG".

Sounds like it! I looked it up: the model is Tamiami II. It's a PFG logo on it too. If you aren't picky about colors you can get them < $30 on Amazon.

(Off topic: I have yet to make it to one of the OCB meetups, despite being in the area. I need to fix that.)

Mobius
01-09-2014, 11:51
Oh, on that Columbia shirt: I had to get a small, despite wearing medium for everything else I own (I'm 5'10, 160 lbs).

Feral Bill
01-09-2014, 12:09
I find an old, light colored dress shirt works well in warm weather, especially for sun and bugs. I do live in a dry climate, though.

slbirdnerd
01-09-2014, 13:51
I have a Columbia Omni Wick 1/2 zip I bought years ago thinking it was like UnderArmor. Got home, tag said "sun shirt." Oh well! It has been my favorite shirt, wear it hiking and on the motorcycle. It's very light, stretchy, and and I'm looking for another but think they redesigned it. Haven't gotten my hands on the new one yet but it looks different. :(