PDA

View Full Version : WhiteBlaze 2005 Preparation

attroll
08-31-2005, 13:45
The WhiteBlaze get together is starting to take form now. I have started purchasing items we will need. I just ordered 90 lbs of hamburger from the local market. The wife is going shopping for some of the items today. So things are going well so far. The wife and I are brining our kayaks with us on top of the truck in case we can find some free time Sunday afternoon before we head home. So if anyone else has canoes or kayaks and are interested in heading down the Kennebec River with us if we have the time you might want to bring them. I am not committing to doing this. This is just something me and the wife are hoping to have time to do on our own. It might not even happen.

The following is a listing of what we are working of for items for the get together. I am doing this on my own with using any of the WhiteBlaze money or donation received from users. That money was intended to help with server fees. So I figure it should stay that way. The price of the hamburger alone it going to be over $200. So any help from others would be appreciated.

Here is what I am getting together so far. I will update this post as people commit to what they are bringing. If you are going to get something or help with this list then please post what it will be and the quantities.

Thank you all and I look forward to see some of you there.

Attroll is bringing:
200 Burgers
200 Buns
20 Veggie Burgers
A bushel of corn on the cob
a bushel of apples (if they are ready to be picked)
10 large bags chips (can use help on this)
6 cases plus of soda's (can use help on this)
Ketchup
Mustard
onions
pickles
relish
butter
3 heads lettuce at least
a couple of shakers of salt
a couple of shakers of pepper
150 cups (unsure on this amount right now)
300 plates

Breakfast
16 dozen Eggs
10 Gallons of Orange Juice (can use help on this)

The Scribe is bringing
Coffee maker
Coffee
Lasagna
And maybe biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

Blister is bringing:<O:p</O:p
Chili or a soup of some sort (could someone bring bowls for this)

Legs is bringing:<O:p
Sweets<O:p</O:p
Veggies<O:p</O:p
Sodas

Here are a couple of options of what to bring also.<O:p</O:p

My wife is going to make a veggie stir fry so any veggies you would like to see throw in would help.<O:p</O:p
A couple of Watermelons<O:p</O:p
Sweets

Buckingham
08-31-2005, 14:23
When and where is the get together?

Blister
08-31-2005, 14:25
I will bring cups to serve it in - so we will not need bowls. Have the hikers use their own spoons. I could also take care of the sausage gravy if the biscuits are a definate.

Buckingham
08-31-2005, 14:26
Never mind, just checked the thread with the time and date. I'll be on the trail somewhere in Jersey on that day, but I'll be there in spirit.

Damn I wish I could go:mad:

walkin' wally
08-31-2005, 18:34
I will bring three cases of soda and 5 bags of chips. I will try to make egg mcmuffins in the morning. I will bring 2 gallons of orange juice.I will bring some hot dogs and rolls. I hope to make it up there. I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping for good news here. :confused:

LEGS
09-01-2005, 00:22
HEY TROLL, CANT DRINK THAT ORANGE JUICE, IT BREAKS ME OUT IN HIVES, IS IT OK IF I SUBSTITUTE WITH CRANBERRY JUICE OR CRAN-APPLE? BE GLAD TO HELP YA OUT IN THE JUICE DEPT. ,BUT YA WONT GET OJ. HAVE A GOOD'UN MAN, SEE YA SOON

The WhiteBlaze get together is starting to take form now. I have started purchasing items we will need. I just ordered 90 lbs of hamburger from the local market. The wife is going shopping for some of the items today. So things are going well so far. The wife and I are brining our kayaks with us on top of the truck in case we can find some free time Sunday afternoon before we head home. So if anyone else has canoes or kayaks and are interested in heading down the Kennebec River with us if we have the time you might want to bring them. I am not committing to doing this. This is just something me and the wife are hoping to have time to do on our own. It might not even happen.

The following is a listing of what we are working of for items for the get together. I am doing this on my own with using any of the WhiteBlaze money or donation received from users. That money was intended to help with server fees. So I figure it should stay that way. The price of the hamburger alone it going to be over $200. So any help from others would be appreciated.
<O:p</O:p

Here is what I am getting together so far. I will update this post as people commit to what they are bringing. If you are going to get something or help with this list then please post what it will be and the quantities.<O:p</O:p

Attroll is bringing:
200 Burgers
200 Buns
Ketchup
Mustard
onions
pickles
relish<O:p</O:p
butter
3 heads lettuce at least
300 plates<O:p</O:p

Breakfast
16 dozen Eggs
10 Gallons of Orange Juice (can use help on this)<O:p</O:p

The Scribe is bringing<O:p</O:p
Coffee maker<O:p</O:p
Coffee<O:p</O:p
Lasagna<O:p</O:p
And maybe biscuits and gravy for breakfast.<O:p</O:p

Chili or a soup of some sort (could someone bring bowls for this)<O:p</O:p

Sodas

My wife is going to make a veggie stir fry so any veggies you would like to see throw in would help.<O:p</O:p
Sweets

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2005, 17:37
Great list, Troll....

Are you OK as far as such things as grills, charcoal, propane, serving stuff, pots/pans, utensils, coolers, and so on? Would it help if folks brought some of these things?

Also, for folks who aren't sure what to bring or can't commit to anything right now, here are a few ideas......if you hit a market on your way to Caratunk,
here a few things that WE always seem to need more of at every big feed:

*Fresh fruit, like bags of apples, oranges, or bananas are always popular
*Baked goods like muffins or pastries will help at breakfast
*Meat of any kind for breakfast
*Potatoes/Onions for breakfast
*Sliced or block cheese for both cookout and breakfast
*Veggie Burgers or Dogs can't hurt as there'll be vegeterians there; if you
bring dogs, bring rolls as well
*Regular dogs and Rolls would help supplement the burger supply
*Juice, soda, or cider
*Ice
*Extra paper goods like paper towels, napkins, etc.
*Chips, pretzels, salsa, popcorn, any kind of snack stuff
*If anyone wants to bring salad makings plus dressings, I'm sure it'd be
very popular, or stuff like potato salad or cole slaw
*Any kind of desert stuff.....cookies, cakes, pies, etc.

Basically, if you don't know what to bring, extra snacks or drinks is probably best. If everyone that shows up brings just one or two things, I think we'l do very well indeed.

attroll
09-02-2005, 01:45
I am glad you posted Jack. There was something I forgot to add to the list and I just updated it to the first post. I am going to bring 20 Veggie Burgers. Last year we only had about 6 and ran out in seconds. I hope 20 will be enough. If not then the wife is going to make a veggie stir fry like she did last year. So if someone wants ot bring some more Veggie Burgers that might help.

Jacks has some awesome suggestions for those that can not commit at this time.

Frosty
09-02-2005, 12:04
HEY TROLL, CANT DRINK THAT ORANGE JUICE, IT BREAKS ME OUT IN HIVES, IS IT OK IF I SUBSTITUTE WITH CRANBERRY JUICE OR CRAN-APPLE? BE GLAD TO HELP YA OUT IN THE JUICE DEPT. ,BUT YA WONT GET OJ. HAVE A GOOD'UN MAN, SEE YA SOONTen gallons of cranberry juice? Boy, am I glad you dont drink prune juice! :D

chief
09-02-2005, 12:33
here's an idea. instead of feeding a bunch of fat hikers, why not send that feast down to la, ms ,al?

The Scribe
09-02-2005, 15:35
Got the sausage already so we are all set there. Will have a biscuit making party planned for Friday evening at my house.

I have asked L Wolf's Gypsy if there is anything special in Cowboy's gravy so we can have a little touch of Damascus in The Forks next weekend.

gr8fulyankee
09-02-2005, 15:43
here's an idea. instead of feeding a bunch of fat hikers, why not send that feast down to la, ms ,al?
I have a better Idea,
Instead of being a killjoy, why not just let these people enjoy something that they have been planning for a while!

Your comment is totally off topic and frankly quite rude, to try to seed these people minds with something that we are all quite aware of, and that can contribute to in our own way.

Blister
09-02-2005, 17:57
In the last couple of weeks while folks have hiked through Hanover and Glencliff, surprisingly alot of them are from the southern areas that were hit by the storm. There is a couple here tonight in Glencliff that have a house down in florida that has been damaged. They are still here on the trail and it will be an honor to host them at the feed as well as many of the others hiking along. I have also spoke to a couple of hikers that are in construction for a living and will be headed straight down to Alabama to help build. We will do our part where ever we are to help those on their journies. I have already donated extra foods bought at the coop that are to be shipped as well as a small $ to the red cross.

attroll
09-02-2005, 20:38
Got the sausage already so we are all set there. Will have a biscuit making party planned for Friday evening at my house.

I have asked L Wolf's Gypsy if there is anything special in Cowboy's gravy so we can have a little touch of Damascus in The Forks next weekend.
The only thing special about the gravy that Cowboy's uses is that there is very little sausage in it. It is more gravy then anything. When we do biscuits and gravy at my house we do it right and put some sausage in it.

The Scribe
09-02-2005, 22:07
Not to worry.

Shutterbug
09-05-2005, 00:14
I am planning to be there on Sept. 10, coming from Gig Harbor, WA. Actually, I am not coming just for the Whiteblaze meeting. I am coming to hike the 100 Mile Wilderness as my fifth section hike on the AT. Since I will be in the area, I will stop by to meet you.

Since I will be flying in, it isn't practical to bring food, but I will help with the financial burden.

I have perviously hiked the Colorado Trail from Denver to Breckenridge. And have hiked the Wonderland Trails in Washington and Maine.

attroll
09-05-2005, 00:55
I am planning to be there on Sept. 10, coming from Gig Harbor, WA. Actually, I am not coming just for the Whiteblaze meeting. I am coming to hike the 100 Mile Wilderness as my fifth section hike on the AT. Since I will be in the area, I will stop by to meet you.

Since I will be flying in, it isn't practical to bring food, but I will help with the financial burden.

I have perviously hiked the Colorado Trail from Denver to Breckenridge. And have hiked the Wonderland Trails in Washington and Maine.
Hey Blister is going to hike the 100 mile wilderness after the weekend get together. Maybe you guys can talk to each other at the get together.

The Scribe
09-05-2005, 13:00
Look forward to meeting you. We can cross another state off the WB get together list.

Moxie00
09-05-2005, 19:35
I hope we have more thru hikers than I found on the AT today, I spent the entire day hiking in the Bigelows and only met one thru hiker. I was on the AT all day and Spec's father had boxes and coolers of trail magic and no one came along to enjoy it, Last year we met 20 thru hikers in the same time period. I hope it was just a quiet day or a lull between groups and everyone wasn't driven off by Katrina. About every log entry in the last six or eight days refered to Katrina so the thru hikers are concerned, I will be there Saturday and will bring soda. Need any Hot Dogs? That comment about fat hikers was extremly in-appropriate. I saw no fat thru-hikers that made it very far out of Georgia, I lost 55 pounds myself and a hiker feed can certainly be held as the food sent south would never arrive in any condition to be used . They need money and a lot more help from the federal government, not a bunch of hamburgrers.

attroll
09-05-2005, 22:22
Moxie00

Maybe there were no thru hikers becasue they were all aware of the get together and are timing it so as to be at the get together this weekend. Also Walking Home has been doing his trail magic at Flagstaff this week so that might have slowed the hikers down some too.

attroll
09-05-2005, 22:23
I have talked to Steve the ferryman and he is setting up a room above his store for the viewing of any movies that I am brining. We have not set up any times. I figured we would just leave them up there and if anyone wanted to watch them then they could make an announcement to let others know they were going to watch a movie,

The DVD’s include:

2,000 Mile to Maine
Walking With Freedom
Appalachian Impressions
North to Katahdin
Trek (VHS)

Some other points that need to brought up. The tent Steve got this year is not a big as last year’s tent but he said it should be plenty big enough. Steve no longer sells alcohol at his store. I am not sure if he is charging for tent sites yet or not. But last year I think he tried to get $7 per tent. But only a couple people paid him. So if you go this year please try and make a point to pay him if he is going to charge. So ask him when you get there.

Steve is supposed to call me tomorrow and touch base with me.

A-Train
09-06-2005, 00:27
I hope we have more thru hikers than I found on the AT today, I spent the entire day hiking in the Bigelows and only met one thru hiker. I was on the AT all day and Spec's father had boxes and coolers of trail magic and no one came along to enjoy it, Last year we met 20 thru hikers in the same time period. I hope it was just a quiet day or a lull between groups and everyone wasn't driven off by Katrina. About every log entry in the last six or eight days refered to Katrina so the thru hikers are concerned, I will be there Saturday and will bring soda. Need any Hot Dogs? That comment about fat hikers was extremly in-appropriate. I saw no fat thru-hikers that made it very far out of Georgia, I lost 55 pounds myself and a hiker feed can certainly be held as the food sent south would never arrive in any condition to be used . They need money and a lot more help from the federal government, not a bunch of hamburgrers.

It's cuz the thru's travel in packs. When I ridgreran this summer I usually saw 10-20 a day or I didn't see any. They're probably all in town eating :p

Frosty
09-06-2005, 08:44
Is it this weekend or next?

<O:p</O:p

Here is what I am getting together so far. I will update this post as people commit to what they are bringing. If you are going to get something or help with this list then please post what it will be and the quantities.<O:p</O:p

Attroll is bringing:
200 Burgers
200 Buns
20 Veggie Burgers
Ketchup
Mustard
onions
pickles
relish<O:p</O:p
butter
3 heads lettuce at least
300 plates<O:p</O:p

Breakfast
16 dozen Eggs
10 Gallons of Orange Juice (can use help on this)<O:p</O:p

The Scribe is bringing<O:p</O:p
Coffee maker<O:p</O:p
Coffee<O:p</O:p
Lasagna<O:p</O:p
And maybe biscuits and gravy for breakfast.<O:p</O:p

Chili or a soup of some sort (could someone bring bowls for this)<O:p</O:p

Sodas

Sweets

Blister
09-06-2005, 10:24
Looks good.
Packrat and I will be hiking from Stratton to Caratunk, arriving around Saturday afternoon, tentively, then we will be there.

Blister will have a sleeve of DVDS of Walking With Freedom, if anyone there early on, or during chooses to buy a copy, which I plan on turning around and tossing some cash to Troll to help cover some of his costs, as he is doing a hell of a thing by supplying that much food.

Look forward to seeing folks and hiking the 100 mile after the get together.

See yas there
Lion king

Lion King
09-06-2005, 10:25
Above post by me, wrong sign in...opps.

LK

Blister
09-06-2005, 11:05
After the feed I would like to be able to head out on foot. So I am looking to get my car as far north towards the big K as possible. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I was hoping that if somebody was heading south to the feed as a pasanger, perhaps they could drive my car north on their way home as the driver and leave the vehicle somewhere for me. :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance

attroll
09-06-2005, 11:34
Is it this weekend or next?
Frosty that is this weekend.

alanthealan
09-06-2005, 14:07
Is there going to be shuttles for the hikers that are not that for north? There are many folks still around the Gorham area.

Shutterbug
09-06-2005, 14:29
After the feed I would like to be able to head out on foot. So I am looking to get my car as far north towards the big K as possible. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I was hoping that if somebody was heading south to the feed as a pasanger, perhaps they could drive my car north on their way home as the driver and leave the vehicle somewhere for me. :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance
Blister

I will be driving to Caratunk from Bangor in a rental car. If there is someone else coming from that area, I would be willing to leave the rental car in Bangor and drive your car back North.

Is there anyone else driving from the Bangor area? I will buy the gas for a ride to Caratunk, then I will drive Blister's car back to Abol.

Blister, I guess we will be meeting each other in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I will be starting on foot from Abol on Monday headed south. We should pass on the trail somewhere around Gulf Hagas. I plan to explore Gulf Hagas for the next weekend. Some friends are meeting me there for the hike on to Monson.

ShutterBug :sun

Frosty
09-06-2005, 14:59
Frosty that is this weekend.Wow, thanks. I don't know where my head is. I had written it down for next week on my calendar. Even had Annette change her schedule so she could come with me. Well, luckily after being married to me for years, she is used to me getting things wrong. :)

Blister
09-07-2005, 07:55
We will talk at the feed - if my car could appear at Abol bridge that would be awesome - but there will be the entire issue of your rental car - we'll talk this weekend. Off to Andover ME this morning and in caratunk tomorrow afternoon. Peace out all -
Blister

Miss Janet
09-07-2005, 17:20
I hope you all have a great and safe weekend! Tell my "kids" hello from me.

Icicle
09-07-2005, 17:44
Any chance of posting a list of the hikers that come to this event? It seems that internet access is becoming scarce (or is too far off trail) and it would be helpful for some of us tracking our loved ones.

I only wish my flight was this week so I could make it!!! Bummer....still have 2 weeks to wait! Have fun anyway! :)

attroll
09-07-2005, 23:40
Any chance of posting a list of the hikers that come to this event? It seems that internet access is becoming scarce (or is too far off trail) and it would be helpful for some of us tracking our loved ones.

I only wish my flight was this week so I could make it!!! Bummer....still have 2 weeks to wait! Have fun anyway! :)
I will post a list when I get back home either Suday night or Monday night just like I did last year. I am hoping for a good turnout. But you never know how things are going to turn out until it happens.

LEGS
09-08-2005, 20:16
Hello troll, steve, blister, and jack, were on the road at 8-30 thursday evening, gonna be a long night, see ya fri afternoon. have a good'n

da legs and julie

The Scribe
09-08-2005, 21:25
Three large batches of brownies
lost count of how many biscuits.

The lasagna (one meat, one not) getting put together tomorrow evening.

See you all Saturday.

Come and get it.

A-Train
09-08-2005, 22:17
Sorry I won't be able to attend this year. I've got a lot of loose ends to tie up before I head abroad for the fall and might just stick around the Greens and do some hiking. Gas is just too expensive to do the 12 hr roundtrip this yr. Hope you all have a great time and tell the hikers Ridgerunner A-Train from Jersey says hi!

attroll
09-08-2005, 23:51
The wife is cooking still as I type right now. SHe has already made three loafs of banana bread and is working on three loafs of cinimon bread for breakfast Sunday morning. She made some brownies also. Looks like it will be a late night for both of us. We will be heading to The Forks tomorrow after noon or early evening it looks like. I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Atrain you will be missed. I was hoping you would come again this year. Maybe next year. I am thinking of a new location for next year but we'll see what happens. The location would still have to be close for me though since I am the meat and potatoes of this so far. LOL. Just kidding.

attroll
09-09-2005, 15:31
Were off. We are packed and ready to go. Just one stop a Wal-Mart along the way to pick up 10 gallons of orange juice and we'll be all set (I hope). We look forward to seeing you all there.

Frosty
09-09-2005, 17:09
Not gonna be able to make it, Troll. My own stupid fault. I cleared the wrong weekend on my schedule and now am stuck with a family commitment tomorrow. Very irking because I got it moved FROM next week to this in order to have next weekend open for the WB gathering :(

Hope you gus have fun. Weather looks great.

Lion King
09-22-2005, 10:25
Good times, thanks again Troll for all the hard work and good food...YOU did a great job, as did your wonderful helpers, friends wives, etc...not saying you have mroe then one wife, but you get the picture.

LK out of the 100 Mile Wilderness.