PDA

View Full Version : Nashville Area Outfitters

Tuckahoe
01-09-2014, 13:50
Hey folks, got a text from my uncle that my cousin, a 17 yo young lady wants to take up backpacking/hiking (specifically he was looking for a pack recommendation). Other than the Brentwood REI who are the quality outfitters that I could send them to, to personally check out gear and fit packs in the Nashville, Tennessee area.

As far as packs, thoughts on packs for a young lady? I was told one that would carry 35lbs (yes, I know this is on the heavy side and I have already expressed my opinion, but I will provide a range of options for them)

nastynate
01-09-2014, 14:29
There is a nice outfitter on top if monteagle mountain on I-24. They carry quality stuff and have lots of cool things like alcohol stoves, etc.

DeerPath
01-09-2014, 14:48
http://www.mountainhighoutfitters.com/AboutUs/Locations.html

Brer Sam
01-09-2014, 15:01
http://www.cumberlandtransit.com/

Cumberland Transit at 2807 West End Ave., Nashville. They have everything you'll need.

Tennessee Viking
01-09-2014, 15:33
Binks Outfitters are all over Nashville/Murfreesboro/Franklin

kayak karl
01-09-2014, 15:41
the outfitters in Damascus had ULA packs to try, but i don't know if that is near you.

Tuckahoe
01-09-2014, 21:04
the outfitters in Damascus had ULA packs to try, but i don't know if that is near you.

I wouldnt mind checking the ULA packs out myself, but Damascus is half way between Williamsburg and Nashville, a 6 hour trip from either direction.

Rain Man
01-10-2014, 10:32
Binks Outfitters are all over Nashville/Murfreesboro/Franklin

Wow, learn something new every day! I've lived in Nashville almost three decades and don't recall ever hearing of Bink's before. Will have to check 'em out, I suppose.

As others have suggested, some to check out are REI, Cumberland Transit, and Mountain High. Of course, we have Dick's and Academy Sports too and I've gotten things from all those places.

Tuckahoe, a good local club is the Nashville Backpacker Meetup Group. Our monthly meeting happens to be tomorrow and we have several trips already planned for the next 30 days, from beginner to advanced. We have members of all ages and both genders. We hike from right here in Nashville-Davidson County to as far away as Maine. Your cousin would be welcome.

Rain Man

reverend
01-12-2014, 10:43
Been using Cumberland Transit over 30 years. I would go with them for a professional fitting. Ask for Allen.

uprocks
01-15-2014, 16:33
Cumberland Transit...
Ditto on this recommendation.

Rain Man
01-16-2014, 13:27
Been using Cumberland Transit over 30 years. I would go with them for a professional fitting. Ask for Allen.

Good folks. My daughter used to work there, before her thru-hike. In fact, she's the fly-fishing gal painted in the mural across the front of the store. They needed a model for the painter, and she was handy. LOL

Rain:sunMan