PDA

View Full Version : thru hike backpack

ihavea4
01-10-2014, 09:26
I'm in the process of buying a pack but i'm having trouble deciding on which one. I'm not trying to go UL, but i'd like my pack to be under 4 lbs. the problem i'm having is the REI store near me does not have a big selection of packs, and there really aren't many other "outdoor" type stores around me. I'd prefer to actually try on the pack before buying. So far i really liked the Osprey Aether 60, except that the top of the frame restricted me from tilting my head back at all, which is uncomfortable. I've been looking at the Gregory Z65 online and that looks decent so far. Any other suggestions? What packs do you guys use?

Falcon
01-10-2014, 09:54
I love my Golite Jam 50. However, it is only good for a max. 35 lbs.

w00dchuck
01-10-2014, 10:17
I'm really stoked about my granite gear crown 60. Simple light very tough so far.

HeartFire
01-10-2014, 10:32
Do not buy a pack without trying it on - filled with (your) stuff. Every human being has a different body shape, and while one style of pack may fit very comfortably on one body type, that doesn't mean it will be comfortable or fit you. Packs are a lot like shoes - you MUST try them on - it doesn't matter how much advice you get, or how well someone knows how to "fit" you - There is also style, - bear basic ruck sack, full service pack with tons of pockets/ compartments etc.

Look at packs on line, get a feel for what you think you might want, then take a trip to someplace that has them, or if your plastic can afford it, order them on line - check the return policy first - try them out and send back what you don't want.

FWIW, I also love granite gear packs - I have an old Nimbus Ozone that I don't want to give up.

Old Grouse
01-10-2014, 10:43
Why not jump in the car and drive to Campmor in Mahwah? They may well have a more extensive selection.

ihavea4
01-10-2014, 11:18
i forgot about campmor. i'll have to head over there this weekend. i have been looking at a few granite gear packs, and i noticed they they don't seem to have hip belt pockets. do you guys mind not having those pockets? my other option is what you said heartfire, just buy 4 or 5 of them and return the ones i don't like.

Namtrag
01-10-2014, 11:28
Osprey Talon 44 is on sale for about $100 right now in many places and is a great pack. But like everyone else says, you have got to try on a lot of packs with loads and make sure it fits you right!

T-Rx
01-10-2014, 11:30
You can purchase hip belt pockets for the granite gear packs that attach easily. My wife uses a granite gear pack and we bought these pockets for her pack about a year ago. We found them at a local outfitter but Check out granite gears web site they may offer these. Also checkout it ULA packs (my personal preference).

A.T.Lt
01-10-2014, 11:36
Campmor, EMS, and Ramsey Outdoors (as well as an REI on route 4) all along Route 17 in Bergen county within 10 minutes from each other. Also the Ramsey Outdoors in Sucasanna has a more extensive selection of backpacking gear then the Ramsey location.

RED-DOG
01-10-2014, 12:01
On my 2012 thru-hike i used the Mountain Hardwear " Direttsima 46 " Fits me like a glove, loved it and i still use it on all my hikes, that's more than i can say about the rest of my packs, but try Campmore their located in Primus NJ, but DO NOT BUY A PACK WITHOUT TRYING IT ON FIRST.

Praha4
01-10-2014, 12:13
absolutely go try on the pack before buying it, and it's better if you have some weight in the pack if possible. Also waistbelt pockets are a "must have" for me too. But you can always buy some after-market belt pockets and attach them if your pack lacks beltpockets. Granite Gear sells some nice belt pockets you can attach easily. As far as backpacks, I had been using the Deuter ACT Zero 50+15 pack for my hikes, and loved it....then last year switched over to an Osprey Atmos 50, and like it even better. The Osprey Atmos comes in a larger size that many thru hikers use, similar in design to the Atmos 50. Good luck.

4Days
01-10-2014, 14:06
I just received my pack - ULA CATALYST - It's not cheap but full of features and options. Their are a lot of great choices. For me going from the old frame pack to this is a massive improvement. This will be the pack for rest of my life so I looked at functionality to meet my needs for the long term. So the price was secondary.

hikerboy57
01-10-2014, 14:09
absolutely go try on the pack before buying it, and it's better if you have some weight in the pack if possible. Also waistbelt pockets are a "must have" for me too. But you can always buy some after-market belt pockets and attach them if your pack lacks beltpockets. Granite Gear sells some nice belt pockets you can attach easily. As far as backpacks, I had been using the Deuter ACT Zero 50+15 pack for my hikes, and loved it....then last year switched over to an Osprey Atmos 50, and like it even better. The Osprey Atmos comes in a larger size that many thru hikers use, similar in design to the Atmos 50. Good luck.
ive got the atmos50 as well, saw plenty of atmos packs both 50/65L on the trail last year.

Mobius
01-10-2014, 14:20
This will be the pack for rest of my life so I looked at functionality to meet my needs for the long term.

Ha! That's what I said when I got my Circuit. As my gear list shrinks based on experience and gradual gear replacement I find I want something smaller for weekend trips during the summer now. I'm not getting rid of the Circuit though so I guess it still meets "rest of my life" thus far.

sadlowskiadam
01-10-2014, 14:24
I used the Mountain Hardware Thruway 50 on my 2013 thru hike. Weighs under 2 lbs and carries up to 35 lbs. So light and compact, I also had excess storage capacity, even when carrying up to 7 days of food. Here is a link:

http://www.zappos.com/mountain-hardwear-thruway-50-blue-chip?ef_id=UnwWPAAABCMJawvu:20140110182034:s

Best of luck,

Counselor

4eyedbuzzard
01-10-2014, 14:30
Why not jump in the car and drive to Campmor in Mahwah? They may well have a more extensive selection.

Campmor, EMS, and Ramsey Outdoors (as well as an REI on route 4) all along Route 17 in Bergen county within 10 minutes from each other. Also the Ramsey Outdoors in Sucasanna has a more extensive selection of backpacking gear then the Ramsey location.
+3. Whenever my wife and I travel to NJ to visit relatives and friends, Campmor is a must stop. It's worse than a hardware store for a DIY'er. I remember when it was Morsan - back when nylon was high-tech. Still one of the best.

Feral Bill
01-10-2014, 14:55
You might also go through the REI web site, and ask your local store to bring in the packs you are interested in to try on. Between them and the other area stores you'll find what you want. Do, however, ask for an experienced pack fitter to help you, grill him or her on experience, and plan on taking a full day or more shopping.

Coffee
01-10-2014, 15:06
Ha! That's what I said when I got my Circuit. As my gear list shrinks based on experience and gradual gear replacement I find I want something smaller for weekend trips during the summer now. I'm not getting rid of the Circuit though so I guess it still meets "rest of my life" thus far.
I'm keeping my Circuit but just got a CDT for warm weather short trips and to experiment with a frameless pack. ULA packs seem to be a good fit for me.

ihavea4
01-10-2014, 15:51
You might also go through the REI web site, and ask your local store to bring in the packs you are interested in to try on. Between them and the other area stores you'll find what you want. Do, however, ask for an experienced pack fitter to help you, grill him or her on experience, and plan on taking a full day or more shopping.

definitely. last time i went to REI the woman helping me did not seem to be very knowledgeable at all... next time i'll make sure i ask them about their experience.

jimmyjam
01-10-2014, 20:10
I use a Six Moon Designs Starlite but I am a clueless section hiker for now .

HooKooDooKu
01-10-2014, 20:59
While you were at REI, did you get a chance to try the Flash 62 (http://www.rei.com/product/827063/rei-flash-62-pack-mens)?

I ask because (at least on the web site) they are selling the Flash 62 at 50% off.

It's not THE best pack, but at only 3lbs and less than $100, it's most definitely worth the money and worth trying. If you have an REI store near by and didn't have a chance to try this pack, it would be worth the hassle of buying it online, trying it out, and returning it in person at the store if you found you didn't like it.

Malto
01-10-2014, 22:25
I have to laugh at the "do not buy a pack without first trying it on." I bought an MLD Burn sight unseen. Many thousand miles later I am still smiling. My previous pack, a Jam was also bought on line sight unseen and it also had a couple thousand happy miles. However, do not buy a pack without first trying it on, with full weight and volume including food and water.

MuddyWaters
01-10-2014, 23:01
I have to laugh at the "do not buy a pack without first trying it on." I bought an MLD Burn sight unseen. Many thousand miles later I am still smiling. My previous pack, a Jam was also bought on line sight unseen and it also had a couple thousand happy miles. However, do not buy a pack without first trying it on, with full weight and volume including food and water.

+1
Ive mail ordered every pack Ive owned. Being able to judge fit and how to adjust is kind of a prerequisite though.

Buy whatever you want to try out, as long as you can return it theres no issue.
At home is the best place to get to know a pack. Pack it up, walk around 30 min. Compare it to others.
Even if you mail order, you can return it after trying it out.

Spending $50 or more on return shipping costs is money well spent to find the best pack for you.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-10-2014, 23:02
granite gear nimbus meridian has served me well light weight not ultra light a sturdy well designed pack have tried just about every pack out there over the years second pack is the ULA circuit both are good choices

HeartFire
01-11-2014, 11:09
Elemental Horizons (http://www.elementalhorizons.com/accessory-pocket.aspx) makes a great pocket that easily attaches to the hip belt of any pack.

Theosus
01-12-2014, 20:44
I have to laugh at the "do not buy a pack without first trying it on." I bought an MLD Burn sight unseen. Many thousand miles later I am still smiling.

While I haven't yet put 1000 miles on mine (I'm probably up to 250) I love my deter pack. its NOT light. Some people's base weight is probably lighter than my empty pack. But it fits me really well. I bought it sight unseen because I didn't know any better (but I did chose it because it is adjustable for different torso sizes). It's pretty heavily padded in the hip belt and lower back area, and wears well. I've had a few other people try it on and say how comfortable it is.
Knowing what I know how, I'd probably get one 10L smaller, but the same model. Its on the big side, but since everything fits inside it, I'm happy with it.

theGABE
01-15-2014, 16:31
I really like the Osprey Talon 44 as well as the Granite Gear Blaze. The Deutr ACT ZERO also looks very nice.

ihavea4
01-17-2014, 16:37
well i decided to order the Granite Gear Crown VC 60 through REI and ship to store. it just came in yesterday so i threw some of their weight pillows and sand bags in and walked around for a bit. so far so good. i think it'll only get better as i try to lighten my load as well, but for now it should hold up just fine.

Deadeye
01-17-2014, 17:47
Ditto on the advice to try the pack on. One person here loved his Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian... it's just what I wanted, but it didn't fit the curve of my back right, so not for me. Granite Gear still sells accessory hip belt pockets.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Accessories-C5.aspx