PDA

View Full Version : Rain protection...

Spirit Bear
01-10-2014, 11:14
I have a North Face Venture Rain Jacket and REI rain pants (I got both on sale) I have yet to really be tested in the rain on my section hikes. When it has rained heavily I am in my hammock and Tarp. I was wanting some feedback regarding the North Face Venture Jacket, does it keep you dry from the rain, not sweat. The pants I typically use as a shell layer for the wind at camp, in the mornings when starting the day.

Also any other suggestions from Thru hikers (Past thru) as to what you used in the rain.

jdc5294
01-10-2014, 12:17
I have a North Face Venture Rain Jacket and REI rain pants (I got both on sale) I have yet to really be tested in the rain on my section hikes. When it has rained heavily I am in my hammock and Tarp. I was wanting some feedback regarding the North Face Venture Jacket, does it keep you dry from the rain, not sweat. The pants I typically use as a shell layer for the wind at camp, in the mornings when starting the day.

Also any other suggestions from Thru hikers (Past thru) as to what you used in the rain.
I don't have any experience with that particular jacket but I can tell you a $20 pair of DriDucks worked for me the whole way, so I can't imagine a nice jacket like that would be any worse. My biggest piece of advice would be to get a pack cover, again doesn't have to be expensive I think mine was $10. A contractor trash bag works just as well. Makes life a lot better.

Statue
01-10-2014, 12:28
I don't get the fascination with DriDucks, mine ripped apart 20 days into my thru, maybe I was doing something wrong. I actually went without rain gear after the first 3 weeks, didn't see the point anymore. I was always wet and rarely cold so it worked out fine. I just always made sure I had dry/warm clothes to get into after a long day of hiking in the rain. As has been said thousands of time on WB, rain gear on the AT isn't about keeping you dry, it's about keeping you warm.

jdc5294
01-10-2014, 12:34
I don't get the fascination with DriDucks, mine ripped apart 20 days into my thru, maybe I was doing something wrong. I actually went without rain gear after the first 3 weeks, didn't see the point anymore. I was always wet and rarely cold so it worked out fine. I just always made sure I had dry/warm clothes to get into after a long day of hiking in the rain. As has been said thousands of time on WB, rain gear on the AT isn't about keeping you dry, it's about keeping you warm.

4 days in for me, I duct taped the hole up and was more careful for the other 176 days.

Statue
01-10-2014, 12:40
4 days in for me, I duct taped the hole up and was more careful for the other 176 days.

One of my arms ripped completely off. I felt like I was just as wet with them on as off so I ditched them, I guess that'll happen when pieces are missing.

RED-DOG
01-10-2014, 12:56
In 2012 i used the North face 2.5L Jacket and pants, it was the light weight Kind, worked pretty good, kept the pants until Hot Springs and then tossed them in the Hiker box at Elmer's after that i just used Gaiter's,the long kind that reached right below my knee's, and then on my thru in 2006 i just used a real light Mountain hardwear jacket and gaiter's, I probably should add i started both my NOBO's in Feb, then on my 97 Flip-Flop I used a light weight rain jacket from Wal-Mart. My advice to you is get something with pretty good Breathability, if you sweat under your rain gear that kinda defeats the purpose of having gear and at that point what's the need to wear it, you just going to be wet anyways, pants is totally optional, Gaitors works just as good, but the biggest purpose to having rain gear is to keep you WARM in wet Conditions, You are not going to stay totally dry so don't expect to. Good Luck and Happy trails. RED-DOG

tiptoe
01-10-2014, 12:59
First, I'm not a thru-hiker, but a longtime section hiker. I've had a North Face Venture jacket for several years, and I like it a lot. It's not the lightest option, but it's very durable and versatile. It won't keep you dry forever in a hard rain, but it's good for quite a while. It doubles for me as a windbreaker and a sit pad, and I wear often wear it in camp.