PDA

View Full Version : Earliest Start NOBO from ~Harpers Ferry

colorado_rob
01-10-2014, 11:30
I'm excited to attempt to finish my AT hike this year, made it to just south of Harpers last year, NOBO. I was wondering about the feasibility of starting back up in early April from south of Harpers (front royal). My basic concern is leftover deep-ish snow in NH and ME, along with river crossings in ME. My typical pace (I do a moderate pace, but very long days, basically dawn to dusk) would get me to Katadin in about 10+ weeks (I average about 115 miles a week, more in easier terrain, less in difficult), meaning mid/late June. What are my prospects for either difficult river crossings or leftover trail snow hampering my hiking? Would conditions drastically slow my progress in NH/ME? I realize every year is completely different, but just looking at averages.

How about bugs? Lots of discussion on this, when is the peak for those black flies or whatever up north? My Plan B is to start at Katadin in late August and head south, if plan A is unreasonable. Either way puts me in Colorado from late June through August, the prime climbing season out here.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2014, 13:28
I wouldn't recommend an April start from HF. April/May is monson season in the North East with a lot of cold rain which can last for days and days and days. It is the most misserable time of year around here. Then when it does warm up the bugs are insane and you'll get the worst of them. I think 10 weeks to do half the trail that time of year is really optimistic considering the likely weather and trail conditions. April and May are called mud season for a reason! You really don't want to be hiking around here in May.

When I want to go hiking in April/May I head to Georgia. It's still misserable, but not insanely so. Plan B is a much, much better idea. Late summer and into the fall is THE best time to hike up here.

colorado_rob
01-11-2014, 01:43
Thanks so very much for that extremely helpful response. Plan B it is. thanks again!

George
01-11-2014, 12:33
mid to late april will put you with the early NOBO starters, at your pace set for a mid to late June finish - not the bubble but still fairly common