PDA

View Full Version : Yoga Classes along the AT

4-iron
01-10-2014, 20:26
I attend regular Yoga classes as a part of preparation for my Mid March 2014 hike. It helps me with flexibility and strength among other benefits. I may want to continue taking some classes when in or near some towns along the way.
Below is a quick list from searching the web. I don't know any of these people and I simply selected the easiest listed yoga classes in each town. I suspect afterthe first few locations I will be able to get recommendations for the next town.
I wonder if anyone has attended classes while hiking the ATand especially if anyone has attended classes at these locations and what theirimpressions were? Would appreciate anyother suggested locations.
Thanks for your help.

Mindy Yoga

706 531 4718

Dahlorega GA

Yoga Studio

706 379 9642

Hiawassee GA

Franklin St Yoga

919 929 0414

Franklin NC

Cathy Woods Yoga

828 479 9373

Robbinsville NC

Yoga Studio

865 436 4064

Gatlinburg TN

For the Health of It

423 743 4342

Erwin TN

Tribal Yoga

757 915 6246

Hampton VA

Essentials Yoga

540 344 8411

Roanoke VA

4-iron

BradMT
01-10-2014, 20:42
You're going to be backpacking... Yoga? Seriously?

canoe
01-10-2014, 20:53
HUh..........

Second Hand
01-10-2014, 20:59
I try to do yoga 3 days a week at home just watching videos. That is to say, I've never done a class so I'm sure your much more advanced than I am. I don't know if you'll want to step off the trail and take your smelly self into a yoga class. My suggestion would be to find a happy quite place and do it on your own.

aficion
01-10-2014, 21:03
4-iron.....You are going to need a driver.

Foresight
01-10-2014, 21:59
4-iron.....You are going to need a driver.

Well played, lol.

Son Driven
01-10-2014, 22:19
It is helpful to remove things from your life, that might cause you to yearn to be home. I got rid of the TV and radio a year before I went on the trail. I have yet to buy another TV since I got off of the trail 10/7/13.

ams212001
01-10-2014, 22:28
I would learn a basic set of yoga stretches and bring a thin pad so you can practice right on the trail. Golite has some pads that are 1/8 thick and super light/cheap. It might be easier to do it as part of your daily routine instead of having to find yoga studios. Or, if you bring a phone you can download some yoga routines to help guide you. Worse case scenario you don't use the pad and don't watch the videos so there wont be huge weight or time penalty.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2014, 22:51
Really, just practice what you already know. Lots of people do various forms of streaching exercises before and/or after thier day of hiking.

MuddyWaters
01-10-2014, 23:03
Getting to classes will be a problem.
Taking days off to attend classes will be a problem. Everyone you know will hike on and leave you behind.
And Id venture a guess, that you really wont feel like it anyway. You would rather go eat somewhere.

Malto
01-10-2014, 23:09
Getting to classes will be a problem.
Taking days off to attend classes will be a problem. Everyone you know will hike on and leave you behind.
And Id venture a guess, that you really wont feel like it anyway. You would rather go eat somewhere.
This^. .

HighLiner
01-10-2014, 23:20
A typical day on the trail usually leaves me so tired I can hardly find the strength to do dishes after dinner. In all my years of backpacking I've only seen one serious stretcher. The push for miles will rule, consuming your time. IMO, being in hiker shape is enough.

Alligator
01-10-2014, 23:41
Folks, how about trying to answer the question instead of telling the OP how to hike their hike? It was important enough to him to ask the question and he has received benefit from doing classes. It wouldn't be particularly hard to attend an hour session while in town. People make time for church and other meetings as well. It might be something you might not do but it his hike.

I'd suggest checking out any fitness or rec centers in the towns you pass through (YMCA for instance), yoga is sometimes offered at these types of locations.

swamp dawg
01-11-2014, 01:13
I might catch up with you while you are in all those studios along the trail. I'll bet you will flex your way back to Maine. I am trying to head out the last weekend in March, if the MRI checks out. Have been walking every day for the last 40 days and can really tell the difference. Keep up the yoga, stretch on.................swamp dawg

ams212001
01-11-2014, 01:20
You could also check with hostels. Now that I think about it I have seen pictures of people doing group yoga at a hostel along the trail. I can not remember which one though. But hostels might be a good resource to find a class in town.

Autummyst
01-11-2014, 03:05
I attend regular Yoga classes as a part of preparation for my Mid March 2014 hike. It helps me with flexibility and strength among other benefits. I may want to continue taking some classes when in or near some towns along the way.
Below is a quick list from searching the web. I don't know any of these people and I simply selected the easiest listed yoga classes in each town. I suspect afterthe first few locations I will be able to get recommendations for the next town.
I wonder if anyone has attended classes while hiking the ATand especially if anyone has attended classes at these locations and what theirimpressions were? Would appreciate anyother suggested locations.
Thanks for your help.

<tbody>
Mindy Yoga
706 531 4718
Dahlorega GA

Yoga Studio
706 379 9642
Hiawassee GA

Franklin St Yoga
919 929 0414
Franklin NC

Cathy Woods Yoga
828 479 9373
Robbinsville NC

Yoga Studio
865 436 4064
Gatlinburg TN

For the Health of It
423 743 4342
Erwin TN

Tribal Yoga
757 915 6246
Hampton VA

Essentials Yoga
540 344 8411
Roanoke VA

</tbody>

4-iron

4-iron, I also love yoga and do it a few times a week. Although, at this point, I enjoy doing it more on my own and only go to classes here and there to brush up on some various poses. I'm not advanced, but not a beginner either. My plan is to do yoga almost every day during lunch break. I usually have energy around that time when I backpack and don't mind dedicating 20 minutes to yoga most days. So, that's how I'm incorporating it into my hike. I bet there's others on the trail and I have a feeling we will all share what we know with each other. So, who knows, maybe we'll have a moving pack of yoga peeps and we can teach each other for free when wanted. :)

dudeijuststarted
01-11-2014, 11:16
I attend regular Yoga classes as a part of preparation for my Mid March 2014 hike.

I took a private yoga session yesterday to strengthen specific muscles that have routinely fatigued under pack weight (my back is jello due to my computer job,) as well as addressing a major ankle problem. It turns out my gait is insanely off, and that the right side of my body is about 3x stronger than my left from unconsciously compensating for the ankle. I have about 3 months to get things straightened out, but I can see yoga helping significantly for hikers with injuries that can't rely solely on their meddle and bravado.

HYOH.

SunnyWalker
01-11-2014, 12:05
I thought religion was not a part of Whiteblaze? I think you need to move this to a site that is featuring Yoga. It is a form of discrimination, allowing this thread, which has tremendous ties to religious thought, conviction, doctrine etc., to continue and not allow Christian threads etc. This isn't really connected to hiking. Oh sure, one can try to make the connection, just like our Christian friend did and the thread was stopped. You could bring politics into this site, say that it was part of hiking as people talk and debate. I don't think this is wise to allow this thread. My opinion.

Malto
01-11-2014, 12:11
I thought religion was not a part of Whiteblaze? I think you need to move this to a site that is featuring Yoga. It is a form of discrimination, allowing this thread, which has tremendous ties to religious thought, conviction, doctrine etc., to continue and not allow Christian threads etc. This isn't really connected to hiking. Oh sure, one can try to make the connection, just like our Christian friend did and the thread was stopped. You could bring politics into this site, say that it was part of hiking as people talk and debate. I don't think this is wise to allow this thread. My opinion.

Really? And all this time I thought it was just people tying themselves in knots much to the amusement of onlookers. Lighten up, Francis!:)

Slo-go'en
01-11-2014, 12:33
To the OP, try googling each of these places on your list.

I tried the first one "Mindy Yoga" and immeditatly found they have a web page and facebook page. No doubt the others do too and from there you can get all the references and reviews you need and once you have thier social media connections, you might even find local people willing to go pick you up and bring you to a class. It could actually be a very good way to make a lot of new friends along the trail. So, on second thought, it may be a much more worth while thing to do than it seemed at first glance.

FooFighter'12
01-11-2014, 12:35
You're not serious are you? Did you not read what Alligator posted? There are a couple hostels that offer Yoga but I can't remember their names. I wish I had more to contribute but I am just so tired of coming to WB and seeing ridiculous, sarcastic, or mean responses to threads.

4-iron
01-11-2014, 12:37
Thanks for all the comments positive and otherwise. In 2011 I got off the trail in Damascus partly due to pain in my knee and hip. Physical therapy at home determined I had very tight hamstrings which were suspected as causing my pain. Exercises and stretches were prescribed and over time worked. I found the stretches prescribed in physical therapy to the same ones done in a local yoga class. For me yoga is preventive therapy to keep me healthy so I can play golf, hike and enjoy daily activities. I simply want to continue stretching while hiking the AT in 2014. It is my physical therapy. For me no part of this is religious, but I understand and respect if someone has that opinion. For me this is all about keeping me healthy enough to enjoy this wonderful activity hiking that we on WB all love. 4-iron

DeerPath
01-11-2014, 12:45
Thanks for all the comments positive and otherwise. In 2011 I got off the trail in Damascus partly due to pain in my knee and hip. Physical therapy at home determined I had very tight hamstrings which were suspected as causing my pain. Exercises and stretches were prescribed and over time worked. I found the stretches prescribed in physical therapy to the same ones done in a local yoga class. For me yoga is preventive therapy to keep me healthy so I can play golf, hike and enjoy daily activities. I simply want to continue stretching while hiking the AT in 2014. It is my physical therapy. For me no part of this is religious, but I understand and respect if someone has that opinion. For me this is all about keeping me healthy enough to enjoy this wonderful activity hiking that we on WB all love. 4-iron

T'ai Chi is also a very good workout, and you don't need a matt. AND, it's NOT a religious exercise, altho some believe in it.:)

Alligator
01-11-2014, 12:47
I thought religion was not a part of Whiteblaze? I think you need to move this to a site that is featuring Yoga. It is a form of discrimination, allowing this thread, which has tremendous ties to religious thought, conviction, doctrine etc., to continue and not allow Christian threads etc. This isn't really connected to hiking. Oh sure, one can try to make the connection, just like our Christian friend did and the thread was stopped. You could bring politics into this site, say that it was part of hiking as people talk and debate. I don't think this is wise to allow this thread. My opinion.No you are mistaken. There is no specific prohibition of religious threads here. It is the excessive arguing that gets threads shut down, and if specific religious topics are shut down, that means that the topic is closed and subject to the user agreement #3, which I will quote for you as you just broke that one and #15 as well.

3. Topics that have been closed, deleted, or moved by an Administrator or Moderator have been done for a reason. Users will not open new threads on the same subject or continue to make posts about subjects that have had these actions taken. Failing to comply with this policy can result in being placed into moderated status.

15. If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should advise a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the post in question. If it is a post you want to refer to them please click on the report post icon in the post in question.

Regarding this thread, we have had people ask in the past where to find churches on the trail or AA meetings even, so from that viewpoint, the thread is accessible. Next, while practitioners of Yoga may engage on the spiritual side of things, it's very common for practitioners to be solely interested in the mental and physical benefits without any adherence to any particular Eastern religion. Lots of people in the U.S. practice Yoga who are not Hindu, with the interest being on the health benefits (next point).

We have threads running frequently asking the best workout routines and physical therapy approaches to better one's hiking fitness. From that perspective, it is also acceptable. Yoga can be very helpful in improving flexibility, balance, and strength and that can translate into a better trail experience.

Now, the OP's question above was pretty straightforward. Rather than continue with a discussion on this thread about pros and cons, it would be polite to address the question asked. The OP only has 11 posts in two years. Let's just help him out.

In the future please remember the two rules quoted above. Thank you.

HikerMom58
01-11-2014, 12:56
Wow.. 4-iron what a good response! Very respectful- I'm blown away. I join you in that respect and understanding. I wish I could point you to a convenient place in Daleville VA to attend a class. If you really wanted to spend the time, I would be willing to drive you to my gym where a guest pays 7 dollars per visit when you come through. I know they have classes there. :)

Jeff
01-11-2014, 13:12
You could also check with hostels. Now that I think about it I have seen pictures of people doing group yoga at a hostel along the trail. I can not remember which one though. But hostels might be a good resource to find a class in town.

At Woodshole Hostel (10 miles south of Pearisburg, VA) owner Neville leads a morning yoga class...weather permitting.

She and Michael are also massage therapists. Now that is really something a tired, sore hiker can enjoy.

Furlough
01-11-2014, 16:42
Really? And all this time I thought it was just people tying themselves in knots much to the amusement of onlookers. Lighten up, Francis!:)

Yeah, we need less Francis's and more Big Toes like Sgt Hulka. :D Wonder how many more Stripes references we can come up with?.

smoothsailin
01-11-2014, 18:57
One of the best thing you can do prior to hiking is yoga or pilates or P90X or Insanity. Walking is just as dependant on your core as your leg muscles. Core muscles - stomach, hips, lower back. Yoga is the best to strengthen your core. Do your yoga.

4-iron
01-12-2014, 17:11
Wow.. 4-iron what a good response! Very respectful- I'm blown away. I join you in that respect and understanding. I wish I could point you to a convenient place in Daleville VA to attend a class. If you really wanted to spend the time, I would be willing to drive you to my gym where a guest pays 7 dollars per visit when you come through. I know they have classes there. :)

Thanks HikerMom58 Look forward to it. Will contact you when I get near 4-iron

HikerMom58
01-13-2014, 09:34
Thanks HikerMom58 Look forward to it. Will contact you when I get near 4-iron

Sounds good looking forward to meeting you! :)

Merrell
01-13-2014, 14:27
I love yoga, but who needs a class? Mats are cheap and light, take one with you. If you're not confident, take a notepad and make notes during a class so you'll remember the progression. I'd imagine yoga alone in the woods would be an interesting new experience, and seriously, the effort of trying to get rides and make classes on time would be a bit counterproductive to the whole peace-of-mind/relaxation thing. :)

Rockie
01-13-2014, 22:34
Prior to setting out on the trail I posted a similar question about yoga. I'd planned to find studios or classes along the trail and even fantasized about meeting other happy hikers doing the same. I started out with the best of intentions but soon realized that I just didn't have extra energy to expend. I did make it to one class though I can't remember even what state it was in. Mostly I stretched did modified poses in my tent or sometime when inspired by the surroundings. I know had I been more disciplined, it would have helped to loosen up and stretch out muscles that contract from the weight of a pack. I'd love to have met others doing yoga on the trail. I just didn't have that good fortune. Maybe you will and you'll update this thread or start another. Namaste.