PDA

View Full Version : Marmot EOS 1 - is it good?

NathanCW
01-11-2014, 05:49
Hi, i'm looking into a freestanding, side entry, one person tent and was wondering if anyone had experience with one of these? I'm 6"0' and MSR Hubba is too narrow for me. I'm open to suggestions as to other tents.
Thanks

Duramax22
01-11-2014, 09:40
well i dont know about this particular model but i do have other marmot tents that we use for campgrounds, festivals and what not. only recently they got in to the ultralite gear but i can say that there standard tents are built very well and and stand well in bad weather. I have a limelight 3 and it has takin on a moderate snowload before. overall i would consider marmot a high quality company for all there products

handlebar
01-11-2014, 11:52
I carried this tent on the AT. The current version seems quite a bit lighter than what I carried in 2006. It was plenty long for me (I'm also 6'0"). It was easy to set up and held up well during wind and kept me dry during thunderstorms. However, I found I spent more time hiking when I spent the night in a shelter and, especially if it was raining, I preferred staying in a shelter vs. packing up a wet tent. I did carry mine for the full 2175 miles of the AT. However, I looked for lighter options for the PCT and CDT and am now using a Zpacks Hexamid Plus which is much lighter, though being cuben fiber also much more expensive.

FooFighter'12
01-11-2014, 12:22
I carried one on my thru in 2012. Overall, I liked the tent. I am 5'11 and found that the tent had plenty of room. If I were any taller though I feel that It may have been a problem if it were raining. I seemed to have a problem during a good rain with the splash entering the tent, not too bad, but my down bag did get a little damp a few times. The width was just fine. I did have a pole break after about 1400 miles but Marmots customer service rocked and I had a replacement pole in a little over a week. Since the AT, I have let a buddy who is 6'1'' borrow it and he and his spaniel had enough room to be comfortable. I have since moved on to a Tarptent Double Rainbow and love it.

RED-DOG
01-11-2014, 13:09
I carried the MARMOT EOS 1 person on my 2012 thru and it worked great, it was light, didn't leak at all, I use a Synthetic bag so i didn't have any issues with condensation getting my bag wet, kept me warm and most important of all it has a bug net and it kept out all the, No-seeums, Mosquitoes, ETC. and you can basically set it up any place, I used a Tyvek ground sheet with it and it work pretty well, it lasted the ENTIRE trail without any rips or any puntuars of any kind, and i still use the same one today. Good Luck and Happy Trails. RED-DOG