PDA

View Full Version : Where are most SOBO's now?

Granger
09-01-2005, 08:40
I am hiking this weekend and if I am near the pack I plan on bringing extra goodies

Thanks,
Granger

UCONNMike
09-01-2005, 09:12
Well RITBlake and I were number 14 and 15 through Harpers Ferry yesterday, and our buddies are a day ahead of us, but most of us have taken the weekend off and willl be in DC til Sunday

Granger
09-01-2005, 09:18
Well RITBlake and I were number 14 and 15 through Harpers Ferry yesterday, and our buddies are a day ahead of us, but most of us have taken the weekend off and willl be in DC til SundayLooks like I may be a little ahead of you. I am hiking in SNP near Stoney Man MT. (Bearfence mountain hut and Rock Spring)

Damn shame too, I would gladly have hiked in whatever food you wanted in exchange for teaching me how to secure my new hammock!

:(

The Solemates
09-01-2005, 13:50
Looks like I may be a little ahead of you. I am hiking in SNP near Stoney Man MT. (Bearfence mountain hut and Rock Spring)

Damn shame too, I would gladly have hiked in whatever food you wanted in exchange for teaching me how to secure my new hammock!

:(

Im sure you will run in to a handful of them.

BackSlacker
09-01-2005, 21:41
I met up with Barrel Roll and Frogger around the Lemon Squeezer on the NY AT in Harriman today. I also met Harvest Moon and Fire Fly at the Finger Board shelter. Sorry to Harvest Moon and Fire Fly for not offering any food, Barrel Roll and Frogger beat you to it. Enjoy your journey guys!!! :-)

pabo
09-02-2005, 16:34
And boy, those Teddy grahams and Ritz crackers with cheese were yummmmmy! Great to meet you and eat your food. You and your son seem to really enjoy hiking together - that's awesome. Enjoy!
-Frogger

http://www.sobohobos.com

(It's a palindrome!)

Mini-Mosey
09-03-2005, 04:34
I went on an overnight on the Maryland AT Thursday-Friday....saw where Blake and Mike signed the log just south of I-70 and at Rocky Run Shelter....sorry to miss you and the couple hiking ahead of you. I tented at Rocky Run. Enjoy D.C.

Mini-Mosey
09-03-2005, 04:36
By the way, Granger.....I see you live in Hampstead....I work practically in Hampstead(Snydersburg)!

dje97001
09-05-2005, 14:35
Last two days
Ran into SOBOs: Kite, Big Fish and LadyBug, Horns and Bandit. A couple of other single hikers passed but I didn't catch their names.

A-Train
09-05-2005, 14:43
SOBO's met in Jersey this weekend: Goldfish and Greenbean, the Sock, Ragman, and I heard of another guy, Charlie the Tuna

Granger
09-05-2005, 21:29
By the way, Granger.....I see you live in Hampstead....I work practically in Hampstead(Snydersburg)!
Mini-Mosey,

Small world!!! Do you live in the area?

silvereagle
09-06-2005, 01:00
When does the majority of SOBO's hit the Smokey's. Some people from the local hiking club here in Nashville want to meet up with them at the Newfound Gap area for a few days and give them some serious "trail magic"......anyone have a clue on the time table for that area?

canoehead
09-06-2005, 07:37
i met up with the Jaybird headed sobo, we met on the summit of Bear Mt, in Conn. seemed to be in good spirits:clap . labor day week end was not all that busy up at sages ravine, but as always the views were great.

Nameless
09-12-2005, 16:41
Is this possibly the JayBird who is Jim Byrd off the trail? He finished a NOBO early this year (I met him in Monson when I was heading south, probably about the 18th or so of june, i left katahdin on a sobo on the 8th) He was considering just turning around and going the other way, but that doesnt seem very far along, so i do doubt it. He was a good guy though.

Anyone seen Julie (not sure of trail name), Cathy (Poky the trail turtle, which can have a lot added to it). They should be traveling together, were orriginally traveling with Bill (Pickel) but he broke his foot. Or Matt (Funkie Spruceter) He should be around new jersey i think.

Thankyou
Pink
Twinkie (thanks too the four mentioned above...)

Patrick
09-12-2005, 19:20
Hiked Massachusetts this past week, saw at least two SOBOs each day and one NOBO.

Barrel Roll
09-13-2005, 23:04
Is this possibly the JayBird who is Jim Byrd off the trail? He finished a NOBO early this year (I met him in Monson when I was heading south, probably about the 18th or so of june, i left katahdin on a sobo on the 8th) He was considering just turning around and going the other way, but that doesnt seem very far along, so i do doubt it. He was a good guy though.

Anyone seen Julie (not sure of trail name), Cathy (Poky the trail turtle, which can have a lot added to it). They should be traveling together, were orriginally traveling with Bill (Pickel) but he broke his foot. Or Matt (Funkie Spruceter) He should be around new jersey i think.

Thankyou
Pink
Twinkie (thanks too the four mentioned above...)
D-Spo (which might be Julie?) and Pokey were 2 days behind us last I heard. Funky Sprucester is in Port Clinton tonight, along with a big crew of SOBOs - myself and Frogger (the sobohobos), Strider and Sidetrack, Rooster, Hee-Haw, Steiner and Bouie, and Moose Charmer. There's a moderate size crew that is leaving Duncannon tomorrow morning, including Green Bean, Goldfish, Charlie Tuna, Sock, and probably Ragman - PJ, Moondog, Wicket, Nemo are either in between or a little past Duncannon.

That's what I know of sobo locations, based on emails from people ahead of me and trail register entries.

Also, Silver Eagle, I think that most SOBOs would hit the Smokies around late October, early November? That's just a guess - people who have actually completed SOBO hikes would probably know more.

RITBlake
09-14-2005, 09:43
Hey all....

Mike (Don King) and I (Super-T) are almost out of Shenandoah. Good to know that there are more SOBOs behind us. We're hiking with Gills and Samoa, and there are at least 10 sobos ahead of us.

The weather is slowly starting to turn and it has been great hiking in nicer weather.

We added more pictures to our site all the way up to HF, WV.

Cheers~!

billdnc
09-17-2005, 19:02
My son Sean is in Waynesboro, Va today. He started on Katahdin on July 11th. Say Hi from his Dad if you see him. He is 19 with long hair and wearing a kilt and a tiny pack. From Main to Mass. he averaged 16 mpd. From Mass to VA he has been averageing about 25 mpd. I am going to meet him in Roanoke and bring him some cold weather stuff.

Traction
09-19-2005, 23:29
yea nameless.. jaybird did indeed end up turning around and headin' south.

tiamalle
09-19-2005, 23:41
I am hiking this weekend and if I am near the pack I plan on bringing extra goodies

Thanks,
Granger
there have been a few pass thru Franklin,NC this month

billdnc
09-21-2005, 15:11
When does the majority of SOBO's hit the Smokey's. Some people from the local hiking club here in Nashville want to meet up with them at the Newfound Gap area for a few days and give them some serious "trail magic"......anyone have a clue on the time table for that area?
My 19 y. o. son Sean (real name, trail name) should be in the Smokeys around October 15th. He started July 11th so he might be later than some. He's hard to miss- long hair, kilt, tiny pack. Oh, I guess that describes at least half the guys on the trail! Give him a kick in the rear for me.

billdnc
10-02-2005, 17:45
Wanderer ( Sean my 19 y.o. son. ) is in Atkins, VA today. He left Katahdin on July 11th. He reports very dry conditions. Water sources are about twenty miles apart. He is seeing very few hikers.

jimmyjob
10-03-2005, 10:50
i ran into four groups last week all entering the Shenandoahs....unfortunatly i can't remember any names....sorry...

titeloops
10-03-2005, 11:00

Thanks,
Granger

I was just hiking from the 8th til the 16th of sept and hiked from hot springs to pearisburgin 13 days. I meet half a dozen sobo and tried to help as much as i could with the water situation. The water problem is diffenatly going to be tough as we have not got any rain in quite some time.

Titeloops

TAMBOURINE
10-06-2005, 07:35
I Think We Should All Get Together Sometime To Have One Big Hiker Party!!! They Have A Awsome Group Camp In The Snp Right Off The At It Is Called Camp Dundo I Go Up There Alot And Offer Trail Magic In The Summer Around July I Met Alot Of Thru Hikers There Last Yr And Fed Them So Much Hope They Do The Same For Me In My Thru Hike .i Think Us Hikers Are The Last Of The Good People I Just Thank God We Are A Close Group Of People Helping One Another The World Should Be Filled With More Hikers ....maybe We Can Get Something Rolling For The Summer In Snp I Just Really Started Hiking Big This Yr But Have Found So Much Out About Myself As Well As Others And I Have Not Had One Bad Experience All Of You Are Great...

TAMBOURINE
10-06-2005, 07:41
Well When I Saw Moondog In Snp Sept 24th He Was Full Of Life ...he Was Comming Up The Trail In His Undie's Lol I Did Not Catch The Other Hikers Name That He Was With But I Fed Them And Talked Awhile Both Were In Very Good Health And Full Of Laughs We Had A Good Time It Was A Pleasure To Meet Both Of You God Speed And You Better Start Walking Faster To Get Home To That New Wife Of Yours Lol Take Care Yall

dgodwin7
10-17-2005, 07:31
I hiked in Georgia from Amicalola to Dicks Creek Gap last week and ran into several SOBOS: Just Joe, Top Hat or To Phat (I think he was flip flopping), Stumbles and BooBoo and Yogi. Also met another section hiker who met Master Blaster. All of these guys should be finished by now - I met stumbles day before yesturday when I was picking up my car from the Amicalola Visitor Center - he'd just finished!

Scrunchy
10-17-2005, 08:51
Met Bewildered at Fontana Dam yesterday afternoon. He was happy to be at the 2000 mile mark!

Nightwalker
10-17-2005, 11:46
I hiked in Georgia from Amicalola to Dicks Creek Gap last week and ran into several SOBOS: Just Joe, Top Hat or To Phat (I think he was flip flopping), Stumbles and BooBoo and Yogi. Also met another section hiker who met Master Blaster. All of these guys should be finished by now - I met stumbles day before yesturday when I was picking up my car from the Amicalola Visitor Center - he'd just finished!
I met Stumbles last Wednesday night at Neel's Gap. He was to finish Friday. I wonder if he slept any in that time!

:D

Miss Janet
10-17-2005, 13:43
I have had about the first 20 SoBo's. I have 5 today. I would love to know where hikers are north of here so let me know when you see them.

Thanksgiving at Miss JAnet's House is going to be a good one this year!

augie
10-17-2005, 20:09
This is Midnight out and about here in Damascus. I've been in a SOBO pocket for about 2 weeks now. I know there are 6 behind me (Paaga, Running H2O, Dub and Yeti and Stinky Pinky and Sarge). I somehow passed them in the rain leaving Daleville. I hope to be in Erwin in the next week or two and am looking forward to a little R&R at Miss Janets. Nice to get a shout out from Super-T and Don King in the Partnership register. I'll try and contact you guys and Gills and Samoa after I finish and sort through the 2000 plus photos.

Blister
10-17-2005, 20:27
3 flip floppers left out of Glencliff today, all three flipped from harpers ferry and are obviously heading south. According to them there are a couple more floppers behind them that they know of. Getting cold up here. Snowed on Washington and Mt Moosilaukee. Will be heading to Maine tomorrow.

Cookerhiker
10-18-2005, 21:24
Early this morning on a day hike between Weverton Cliffs and the Ed Garvey Shelter, I met Frog, a SOBO flipflopper. I congratulated him on his last day of hiking. Later in the morning, I saw him at the ATC in Harpers Ferry.

Drala Hiker
10-18-2005, 23:52
My ex g/f called me today and said she met a SoBo hiker on Blood Mountain this afternoon. Hopefully she'll recall the guys name so that I can post it here! Hmmm...wonder if he got her phone number?

Drala Hiker
10-19-2005, 10:33
My ex g/f called me today and said she met a SoBo hiker on Blood Mountain this afternoon. Hopefully she'll recall the guys name so that I can post it here! Hmmm...wonder if he got her phone number?
Turns out all the ex g/f can remember is that STRONG was part of his name! Ah well, with this fine weather, he'll be at Springer in 2 days.

billdnc
10-19-2005, 14:20
Wanderer, my 19 y.o. son, called from Fontana Dam yesterday. It was his 100th day on the trail. I hope to meet him on Springer next week. He reported plenty of water in SNP.

ferryman
10-20-2005, 20:50
Today at 2:00pm, I crossed a hiker who has already hiked the entire PCT and CDT and is headed south across the Kennebec River towards Georgia. The former AT thru-hiker will be hitting the "Whites" sometime around November and he is well worth the bet to finish the triple crown. He carries his own gear unlike the King of Slack (Warren Doyle), has a great attitude and the best of ambition to finish his triple crown close to early January. He hiked the PCT (May 4-July 24), the CDT (July 28-Oct 12) and now starting Oct 14 from Katahdin and crossing the Kennebec River by ferry on October 20, nothing stands in his way to complete the ultimate one-year adventure. This hiker stands tall in a cast of a thousand hikers who I have had the privilege to ferry across the mighty Kennebec River since 1987. (16,700 hikers) I want to express also, my sincerest good will to all southbounders in their quest to hike from Maine to Georgia and may their journey been one filled with joy and accomplishment as they hike from Maine to Georgia. Proud to be part of your Appalachian Journey, Cheers, Steve the ferryman. ps. ":Squeaky" represents the true spirit of adventure in America and the world. God Save The Queen!!

Drala Hiker
10-20-2005, 20:54
Wanderer, my 19 y.o. son, called from Fontana Dam yesterday. It was his 100th day on the trail. I hope to meet him on Springer next week. He reported plenty of water in SNP.
I was hiking in the Standing Indian, NC basin today. Ran into Wanderer and Blaze at the Wassilik Big Tree near Standing Indian Campground. They were thinking of trying to camp on Standing Indian Mtn. tonight, though it was late in the afternoon already, and a good 23 miles from SI Mtn. Another guy, whose name I didn't catch, arrived as I was preparing to drive away, sounded like they were rethinking the plan of a night hike to SI. Blaze must make mail pickup in Hiwassee before Noon next Saturday, he said.

billdnc
10-21-2005, 07:32
I was hiking in the Standing Indian, NC basin today. Ran into Wanderer and Blaze at the Wassilik Big Tree near Standing Indian Campground. They were thinking of trying to camp on Standing Indian Mtn. tonight, though it was late in the afternoon already, and a good 23 miles from SI Mtn. Another guy, whose name I didn't catch, arrived as I was preparing to drive away, sounded like they were rethinking the plan of a night hike to SI. Blaze must make mail pickup in Hiwassee before Noon next Saturday, he said.
Thanks for the update. I will be going to Springer on Monday to do the last mile with Wanderer and haul him back home to North Carolina.

Drala Hiker
10-21-2005, 09:25
Thanks for the update. I will be going to Springer on Monday to do the last mile with Wanderer and haul him back home to North Carolina.
Bill,
They must be covering great mileage per day, taking advantage of this awesome weather, to reach Springer on Monday, hiking well before sunup until after sundown! Ah, to be young again without the aches and pains of age!

I wondered if finishing an epic hike on homely Springer Mtn. feels anti-climatic?

Go to Dahlonega to find a good meal after the hike (Smith House and Ricks are two). Some places may be closed on Mondays.

billdnc
10-21-2005, 10:39
These guys have been ripping off thirty mile days for weeks. Wanderer, my son, started July 11th and has really surprised my with with his focus and stamina on this hike. He also will carry absolutely nothing but pure essentials. He doesn't even have a watch! His base pack weight is less than 7 pounds. Although I am going to Springer Monday, I do not expect to see them until Tuesday. I have booked reservations at the campground there and I am bringing a big feast!

Bill

Lone Wolf
10-21-2005, 10:44
Springer isn't homely. Or anti-climatic. Katahdin is over-rated.

augie
10-21-2005, 15:01
Is Wanderer having any fun on his journey? What's the point of doing that kind of mileage? I'm impressed with his determination but like Cap'n Nemo says "It's all about the roses, baby, it's all about the roses".

billdnc
10-21-2005, 17:27
What can I say... The trail is experienced on many different levels and for different reasons. Everyone develops their own personal goals. Wanderer is a 19 y.o. athlete that goes hard all the time. I guess that smelling the roses will come later for him. I can tell you that he seems to be having the time of his life on his hike. I wish that I had done something like this when I was his age, when knees didn't hurt and you could lie down on a pile a rocks and be sound asleep in 1 minute. They say that youth is wasted on the young...

Regards,
Bill

Drala Hiker
10-22-2005, 02:03
What can I say... The trail is experienced on many different levels and for different reasons. Everyone develops their own personal goals. Wanderer is a 19 y.o. athlete that goes hard all the time. I guess that smelling the roses will come later for him. I can tell you that he seems to be having the time of his life on his hike. I wish that I had done something like this when I was his age, when knees didn't hurt and you could lie down on a pile a rocks and be sound asleep in 1 minute. They say that youth is wasted on the young...

Well said Bill! One of the great things I've seen about the AT over the years are the ever increasing number of father/son combos backpacking a section together. I've met several who do a section together each year. The ages cover everything from teens/30s to 40s/60s combos. And those are just ones that I've met on the trail in GA/NC. They all loved hiking together, and said it was something they looked forward to each year, like they did Christmas as a kid.

So what are you cooking up at the campground?

Red Hat
10-22-2005, 10:57
Drahla Hiker, the flipflopper you mentioned is Live Strong. He hiked from Damascus north, and now headed south. (well, actually, he's probably finished now) We stayed at the Bear's Den the same night and hiked into Harper's Ferry on June 21 (hike naked day) FYI we didn't.... Red Hat

billdnc
10-22-2005, 16:23
Well said Bill! One of the great things I've seen about the AT over the years are the ever increasing number of father/son combos backpacking a section together. I've met several who do a section together each year. The ages cover everything from teens/30s to 40s/60s combos. And those are just ones that I've met on the trail in GA/NC. They all loved hiking together, and said it was something they looked forward to each year, like they did Christmas as a kid.

So what are you cooking up at the campground?
The menu is a secret, but it will be cooked over a fire.

It's funny that you mentioned the father/ son thing. I asked Wanderer when he called in the other day if he would like to do a hike together and he immediately said " Washington State section of the PCT" -I fear that he is thinking about a Triple Crown. Well, he better finish college first! I am sure that I would slow him down, but I would love to show him trails that I have done out west and the no-trails trips I've done in Alaska. He'll find that the west is a lot different. Not necessarily better, but different.

UCONNMike
10-23-2005, 10:40
Don King and Super T here, checking in from Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs, NC. We are leaving today after a "wait out the rain" zero yesterday...and will be into the Smokies by Tuesday.

Auggie, we saw Spud at Miss Janets and he told us you guys had hiked together for a while. It was great to hear of your progress and we heard some great stories (hiking in a catchers mask?!?) We think of you often, good to know you're still rumblin' along.

This is a bittersweet time for us. We're so excited to be on the 'home stretch' but it will hard to leave the freedom and the adventure of the trail. Time for lunch, and then some hiking!

-Super T

Drala Hiker
10-25-2005, 09:10
The menu is a secret, but it will be cooked over a fire.

It's funny that you mentioned the father/ son thing. I asked Wanderer when he called in the other day if he would like to do a hike together and he immediately said " Washington State section of the PCT" -I fear that he is thinking about a Triple Crown. Well, he better finish college first! I am sure that I would slow him down, but I would love to show him trails that I have done out west and the no-trails trips I've done in Alaska. He'll find that the west is a lot different. Not necessarily better, but different.
Looks like the Real Fall arrived just as Wanderer is hitting the finish line. Cold and windy, yes, but no precip. Hope you got a good hot meal and a nice night's sleep before heading back to NC!

billdnc
10-25-2005, 20:33
Looks like the Real Fall arrived just as Wanderer is hitting the finish line. Cold and windy, yes, but no precip. Hope you got a good hot meal and a nice night's sleep before heading back to NC!
Wanderer showed up at the FSR 42 parking lot at 2:45 on Monday the 24th. His mother and I hike up the .9 mile trail to Springer Summit. Our son, who had already done 15 miles that day continued on down the 9 mile approach trail to the visitor center where we met him around 5 pm. It was 39 degrees and very windy on Springer and one of his coldest days on the trail. It was quite cold in the campsite last night - it must have gotten into the low 30's. Wanderer completed his thruhike - 106 days on the trail!

Drala Hiker
10-28-2005, 14:27
Wanderer showed up at the FSR 42 parking lot at 2:45 on Monday the 24th. His mother and I hike up the .9 mile trail to Springer Summit. Our son, who had already done 15 miles that day continued on down the 9 mile approach trail to the visitor center where we met him around 5 pm. It was 39 degrees and very windy on Springer and one of his coldest days on the trail. It was quite cold in the campsite last night - it must have gotten into the low 30's. Wanderer completed his thruhike - 106 days on the trail!
Great to hear that Bill. That same day they closed the road to Brasstown Bald due to ice. Guess the weather didn't lend itself to a nice, fire cooked meal.

Sure is great weather today. I'll be in the mountains shortly for the weekend!

billdnc
10-28-2005, 15:55
Great to hear that Bill. That same day they closed the road to Brasstown Bald due to ice. Guess the weather didn't lend itself to a nice, fire cooked meal.

Sure is great weather today. I'll be in the mountains shortly for the weekend!
There should be a number of SOBO's finishing over the next days and weeks. Amicalola Falls State Park is a pretty place with one of the highest waterfalls in the south. See http://gastateparks.org/info/amicalola/ . If you are meeting your SOBO, You can stay at the lodge, cabins($ 110 with 2 night min.) or the campsites( $ 20). Apparently all of these fill up fast during leaf season. You can make reservations at (800) 864-7275. The campsites are all designed for rv's with hookups, but some have nice sites for tents. It was a quiet campground with a nice bath house. You can meet your hiker .9 of a mile from the Springer summit at the FSR 42 parking lot and hke to the summit with him or her. You can get driving directions at the visitors center. The "preferred route", FSR 42, is slightly smoother but longer than the second route which goes up FSR 77. The park discourages this latter route saying it is so rough and steep. I went up one and down the other and can tell you that just about any car, unless it is really low to the ground,could do either one. You might want 4wd if it is wet or icy. A pleasant place to end an epic hike.

RITBlake
11-02-2005, 15:34
Super T and Don King checking in from Franklin, NC. The weather has been perfect and the views from on top of the balds have been AMAZING. Onward to Georgia! Our expected completion date is Nov 9. a.m.

Rebka
11-03-2005, 17:50
I heard the sobohobos got split up...did bouie and hee haw finally meet up?!

TooTall
11-03-2005, 22:26
He started from Harpers Ferry north to Katahdin then flipped and went south to Springer and finished two weeks ago.

Barrel Roll
11-09-2005, 14:19
Checking in from Damascus - there is a large contingent of SOBO's here today! Myself and Frogger (the Sobohobos - any rumors of our demise were greatly exaggerated), Bouie, Hee-Haw, Steiner, Goldfish, D-Spo, Bumfoot, Pokey, Harvest Moon, Firefly and Wasso. Two other SOBO's, Bad Cheese and Stale Crackers, are a day ahead. We're all looking to the Kincorra Hostel and Ms. Janet's, both of which we've heard so much about.

There is a SOBO party on Nov. 19th that is being set up and hosted by Strider and Sidetrack, in Sylva, NC, with shuttles and places to stay, not to mention massive amounts of food - basically one last chance for SOBO's up and down the trail to see each other. Details in terms of shuttles, times, and who to contact can be found on the front page of our website, www.sobohobos.com - Hope to see all those that we know ahead of us (and there are a lot of them!) there.

TJ aka Teej
11-09-2005, 14:35
Our expected completion date is Nov 9. a.m.

There's two very happy young men on Springer right about now!

RITBlake
11-11-2005, 00:47
There's two very happy young men on Springer right about now!

Hey all,

Don King (UCONNMIKE) and I Super T (RITBlake) finished our thru hike at about 10 a.m. on Nov 9th. We were met by family and friends atop Springer Mtn for a most amazing finish to an incredible journey.

TJ was right. We were very happy that morning! Much more to come and as always you can read more and see pics of our finish on our site. Thanks all!

Kerosene
11-11-2005, 11:54
Congratulations UCONNMIKE and Super T! Glad to hear that you made it. Looking forward to your pictures.

peter_pan
11-11-2005, 16:04
Congrats to RITBlake and UCONNMIKE.... enjoy the memories.

Pan

tiamalle
11-12-2005, 00:48
there have been a few pass thru Franklin,NC this month I am seeing from 3 to 10 each day this week staing at Budget Inn:)

Scrunchy
11-22-2005, 15:12
I feel for any SOBO's on the trail last night. It felt like a hurricane here with the wind and rain last night, and then it changed to snow...and it's cold!!! Brrr...still snowing...

Lone Wolf
11-22-2005, 15:15
Heald and Annie plus 3 others arrived in Damascus today.

ferryman
11-22-2005, 17:08
Last Saturday, I ferried a thru-hiker named Justin "trauma" Lichter from New York, who just happened to hike in from Cap Gaspe, PQ (Province of Quebec). He left Cap Gaspe on Nov. 1 and arrived at the Kennebec River Nov. 19. Now, I have seen an amazing feat or two during my tenure as the AT ferryman since 1987, but to have hiked all the way from the far tip of Gaspe (Forillon NP) on the St Lawrence is just incredible. Justin explained that it was alot of road walks in New Brunswick and Maine that made it possible for him to do 35 to 40 miles everyday with his St Bernard dog, that's with very limited daylight hours to work with and lots of cold, rain and snow. Justin has hiked the AT (2003) and PCT (2005), so he heads smack into the White's trail tested in just a few weeks. So, if you see a hiker working his way to Key West :) out on the trail, wish him the best and throw a bone to his dog. I have to say that the trio of "Trail Dog" (new record speed hike) from NH, "Squeaky" (Triple Crown of PCT, CDT and AT) from England and now "Trauma" (Cap Gaspe to Key West) from NY has made the year of 2005, the "Year of The Southbounder." Thanks for another great year and the best for the upcoming Holiday Season! Steve Longley

Squeaky 2
11-24-2005, 19:05
Just spoke to Squeaky and he is going through Duncanon at the minute, just stopping there to buy a tent to have shelter as he pushes on the miles and heads to Springer by Christmas.
Go Squeaky Go, your whole family is behind you.

:jump :jump :jump :jump

Miss Janet
11-26-2005, 13:35
So I guess I will have to go out to the trailhead and trip him up if I want to see him this year!

Mother Nature
12-03-2005, 19:09
Anyone following SOBOs Bad Cheese and Stale Crackers' journey might like to know we met them on the trail today in NC. Smokestack and I met them in a freezing rainstorm about 3 miles from Cold Spring Shelter just outside Tellico Gap. It was a little too bitter to stop and chat too long as ice was forming on our gear as we stood and talked. They are in good spirits and looking forward to finishing soon.

Mother Nature

Drala Hiker
12-11-2005, 10:29
Passing through Woody Gap yesterday on the way to a hike, gave a ride to Topper and 2 others, one was female. Two guys remained with the gear, one had a mandolin. They did say they were stung by the wintery weather a few times, but were looking forward to hitting Springer today in good weather (later I heard snowflurries are possible Sunday night). They planned on staying at Hawk Mtn. shelter Sat. night. Went into Suches to buy food for a big feast at Springer. Two in my Outback started near the end of June, one guy started the first week of July. Sorry I forgot their names. They all seemed to be doing well.

Miss Janet
12-11-2005, 18:22
Right now I have Squeamish and Cecil and expecting Bricks today. Each group now believes themselves to be the Last SoBo's... Does anyone know who else... besides Squeaky!!... is still headed south??

Waterbuffalo
12-12-2005, 20:53
I was at the outfitter at Neels Gap Walasi Yi today Spoke to one of the guys there he said they have seen about 30 SOBO make it this far as of today

calearn
12-13-2005, 16:12
As a correction to Ferryman's post, Trauma and Yoni hiked the AT in 2003, the PCT in 2004 and CDT in 2005. They are now attempting to hike 10,000 miles for late 2005/2006. His web page is http://www.granitegear.com/trauma/index.html (http://www.granitegear.com/trauma/index.html). Yoni is quite possibly the first Triple Crown dog.

Drala Hiker
12-13-2005, 22:26
I was at the outfitter at Neels Gap Walasi Yi today Spoke to one of the guys there he said they have seen about 30 SOBO make it this far as of today

No wonder the SOBOs I gave a ride at Woody Gap said they weren't even close to the last. I'll be up there again next Saturday - gotta escape the crazy holiday shopper traffic - and keep an eye out for SOBOs needing a ride. This time I'll take along some trail magic, forgot to last weekend. Certainly they'll all want to finish before Christmas - or maybe ON Christmas!

Frogger
12-15-2005, 18:23
Passing through Woody Gap yesterday on the way to a hike, gave a ride to Topper and 2 others, one was female. Two guys remained with the gear, one had a mandolin. They did say they were stung by the wintery weather a few times, but were looking forward to hitting Springer today in good weather (later I heard snowflurries are possible Sunday night). They planned on staying at Hawk Mtn. shelter Sat. night. Went into Suches to buy food for a big feast at Springer. Two in my Outback started near the end of June, one guy started the first week of July. Sorry I forgot their names. They all seemed to be doing well.
Hey that was me! I assume you misheard Frogger as Topper. Bouie is the one with the mandolin, Barrel Roll stayed behind with him. The other guy in the ride was Heehaw, and the lady was Goldfish. Collectively we (along with some others who were not present that day) are the sobohobos - www.sobohobos.com (http://www.sobohobos.com)
The feast of chili dogs, tacos, and smores went swimmingly, though we didn't make it as far as Hawk Mountain. We summited the day after that, and now most of us are back home.
Thanks so much for the ride! The guy who drove us back the 1.9 miles to the trail wanted $15 for doing so :-/

Here's our group summit photo - left to right: Foot Walker, Goldfish, Frogger, Barrel Roll, Bumfoot, Heehaw, Harvest Moon, Pokey, Firefly, Steiner, Bad Cheese, Stale Crackers.

Frogger
12-15-2005, 18:25
I am seeing from 3 to 10 each day this week staing at Budget Inn:)
This man runs a great mostel. That's right, a mostel. Is it a motel? Is it a hostel? We'll never know! Thanks for the 2 internet ready machines, the cheap rooms, and the free shuttles. We really appreciate it!

tiamalle
12-15-2005, 23:38
There,s one in Franklin tonight saying there are a few behind him.

Scrunchy
01-08-2006, 21:24
Saw POPS last Sunday at Cosby Knob Shelter where we stopped for lunch. He was SOBO...started August 12th. Anyone know him?