PDA

View Full Version : The Pack Hardware...

Tuckahoe
01-12-2014, 09:56
... I hate the most, has got to be this

I dont know who thought up this corded rail system for a sternum strap, but it has to be the worst piece of hardware put on packs.

Rocket Jones
01-12-2014, 11:34
What in the heck is that? What kind of pack? I know my REI pack has a sternum strap that slides up and down on strapping attached to the shoulder straps to adjust it vertically. Is this something similar?

grayfox
01-12-2014, 11:41
I know what you mean--if you don't need it take it off. I have one pack that feels better when the sternam strap is fastened. I usually remove as much extra stuff as I can. I hate toggle fasteners on draw strings the most.

Tuckahoe
01-12-2014, 12:15
I should have been clearer. I like sternum straps. What I am objecting to is the poorly thought out hardware that I pictured. In this case the plastic rides on a rail of cord constructed in the shoulder strap. The strap relies on tension to hold to the cording, but the plastic easily pulls off.

I would much rather have a ladder type strap keeper with webbing that runs through it.

grayfox
01-12-2014, 13:20
Well, in that case, believe it or not, these things are available after market and a brief search should net a more user friendly version for your pack.

Rocket Jones
01-12-2014, 13:47
I'm wondering how much of the decision to use that was the coolness factor of the little teardrop cutouts on the slider. Too often form takes precedence over function.