PDA

View Full Version : Short hike in GA this weekend???

dharmabum86
09-01-2005, 10:02
I'm wanting to take my boyfriend out for his first overnight backpacking trip...spare the comments ;) !!! I'm really lost for a nice hike in to a shelter. I would love to have about anywhere from 3-5 miles in, as I don't want to kill him or deter him from ever hiking with me again. Do any of you have any suggestions? I had thought about Neel's to Wood's Hole Shelter, taking the blue blaze trail Herbert Byron Reece Trail??? (I'm not even sure that's correct)

MOWGLI
09-01-2005, 10:44
I'm wanting to take my boyfriend out for his first overnight backpacking trip...spare the comments ;) !!! I'm really lost for a nice hike in to a shelter. I would love to have about anywhere from 3-5 miles in, as I don't want to kill him or deter him from ever hiking with me again. Do any of you have any suggestions? I had thought about Neel's to Wood's Hole Shelter, taking the blue blaze trail Herbert Byron Reece Trail??? (I'm not even sure that's correct)

That would be the Freeman Trail. You could take the Blue Blaze going in from the trailhead, and climb over Blood Mountain going out. I've done this loop several times, and its a nice hike.

Enjoy!

MOWGLI
09-01-2005, 10:47
Then again, if you want solitude, the Whitley Gap Shelter is a pretty good bet - although not guaranteed. It's nearly 1.5 miles off of the trail (between Tesnatee Gap & Hogpen Gap).

The General
09-01-2005, 10:58
Got to agree with Whitley Gap Shelter for solitude it is a steep hike down (and out of course) to the shelter, but is clean and roomy with a good water source and food storage cables. Just dont tell the BF that he has to climb back up to the trail in the morning.

Alligator
09-01-2005, 11:06
There are some real easy loops just over the border into NC. If I remember correctly, a new Carter Gap shelter was built and the old one is still standing. There are a lot of Blue Blaze trails in that area. Don't know if that is too far for you or not.

dharmabum86
09-01-2005, 11:40
NC is not too far. But, how can I access Whitley Shelter? I need to dig out my North Georgia Trails book. I'm very familiar with N. Ga. I grew here.

MOWGLI
09-01-2005, 11:45
Its about 5-6 miles (by trail) north of Neels gap. Tesnatee Gap is the closest parking area south of the shelter.

orangebug
09-01-2005, 12:34
There should be some roadside parking either at Testnatee Gap or Hog Pen Gap. This is on the RB Russell Parkway out of Helen. Just a bit further north is the Low Gap shelter, but it has had bear problems in the past

The problem with Whitley Shelter is the lack of views to reward the walk. Blood Mountain has better views and variety for a loop walk. You would start on the Blue Blaze from the parking lot at the Bryon Reese Trail, go straight across the AT onto the Freeman Trail, walk around the base of Blood to Bird Gap and come out right at the Wood's Hole Shelter. Next day would be a pleasant walk up and over Blood Mountain, bypassing Slaughter Gap after last year's relo.

Dances with Mice
09-01-2005, 12:42
Its about 5-6 miles (by trail) north of Neels gap. Tesnatee Gap is the closest parking area south of the shelter.

Hogpen Gap is tad closer. Both are on the Richard B Russell Scenic Hiway.

Last time I visited there were strong indications that either several bears are visiting the shelter area or one bear with a major digestive problem. But no reports of bear problems in the shelter register.

Kerosene
09-01-2005, 12:53
Also, that climb out of Tesnatee Gap isn't exactly a warm welcome to backpacking! I vaguely recall renaming it "Kickyourass" Gap in my head as I climbed, probably because I wasn't expecting it to be all that difficult (that said, I didn't take a rest on the way up).

orangebug
09-01-2005, 16:24
The worst part of Tesnatee Gap climb is discovering that a fairly short roadwalk would have given slightly better views, and lot less hassle. Any Blood Mountain loops give a newbie some views and an appreciation for the climb. Another loop would be from Vargo State Park or Lake Winfield Scott up to Slaughter Gap relos, up to Blood and then back and around the next day. I like the Freeman trail loop best for newbies, as the second day is a gentle climb and great view.

The Solemates
09-01-2005, 16:31
The worst part of Tesnatee Gap climb is discovering that a fairly short roadwalk would have given slightly better views, and lot less hassle. Any Blood Mountain loops give a newbie some views and an appreciation for the climb. Another loop would be from Vargo State Park or Lake Winfield Scott up to Slaughter Gap relos, up to Blood and then back and around the next day. I like the Freeman trail loop best for newbies, as the second day is a gentle climb and great view.

from vargo up to slaughter gap, blood mtn, and back down is along the coosa backcountry trail. a good trip, but at 14 miles or so, its a bit longer than they want to go. i just did this loop not too long ago, go here for a review and scroll halfway down.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9583

Youngblood
09-01-2005, 17:36
...I don't want to kill him or deter him from ever hiking with me again. ...Okay, warm him up by going to Tesnatee Gap on GA348 and hiking the 1 mile north to Hogpen Gap on GA348. From there hike the 1/2 mile back to Tesnatee Gap on GA348 and enjoy the views at Lord-a-Mercy Cove. Now, he will be ready to drive to the parking lot north of Neels Gap, hike up to the AT then over Blood Mountain on the AT to Woods Hole Shelter. If he is still speaking to you in the morning let him hike the Freeman Trail around Blood Mountain to get back to the car. :D

How you been doing? Haven't heard much from you since the SoRuck.

Youngblood

PS... The Blood Mountain Loop the way you had it planned should work great. Climbing Blood Mountain from the south side is much easier.

Whistler
09-01-2005, 17:40
If you're comfortable with not using a shelter, I'd suggest starting at Neel's and taking the AT north, stopping wherever you're comfortable. There are some very nice ridges and some great tentable viewspots. Cowrock, Blue, and Hogpen Mountains are all very nice. Raven Cliffs area is pretty cool, too.
-Mark

Bassline
09-01-2005, 17:49
I like the Blood Mountain idea. Very nice view, but it will be a bit crowded. If you see a guy in a skirt with a beard out there, you have ran into me. It is all good.

Bassline

PS - Send me a PM if you want directions.

soulrebel
09-01-2005, 18:56
I hiked south from Woody Gap to Gooch Gap (3.9miles) last night. Cool weather at night and pre-dawn (60's) Good water source at 3.6 miles and a nice campsite albeit near a road---and an awful barking dog penned up nearby...

I'd also recommend Lake Winfield Scot loop

max patch
09-01-2005, 20:53
I'd also recommend Lake Winfield Scot loop

This is one of my fav hikes in Ga, I do it as a day hike often. You can still stay at the Woods Shelter about halfway into the loop. When you finish the next day you can swim in the very clean lake. This would be my recommendation.

dharmabum86
09-02-2005, 10:36
HEY!!! I've been great!!! I hiked that section last November with Tinkerbell and most recently with my mom so I think this is what I'll do. I'm gonna spare him Blood Mtn...at least this time. I'm always lookin to get out so you need to let me know the next time you want to buddy up and hike! I'm still planning on SOBO this coming year if finances are in order, so far so good. Look forward to hearing from you soon Youndblood!

Okay, warm him up by going to Tesnatee Gap on GA348 and hiking the 1 mile north to Hogpen Gap on GA348. From there hike the 1/2 mile back to Tesnatee Gap on GA348 and enjoy the views at Lord-a-Mercy Cove. Now, he will be ready to drive to the parking lot north of Neels Gap, hike up to the AT then over Blood Mountain on the AT to Woods Hole Shelter. If he is still speaking to you in the morning let him hike the Freeman Trail around Blood Mountain to get back to the car. :D

How you been doing? Haven't heard much from you since the SoRuck.

Youngblood

PS... The Blood Mountain Loop the way you had it planned should work great. Climbing Blood Mountain from the south side is much easier.

dharmabum86
09-06-2005, 12:04
Just so you know, my weekend turned out great! We did Neels to Woods Hole and then back to the parking area at the Byron Reece Trail. We had a blast. I met a section hiker by the name of Spiderman and donned him with trail magic in the way of red wine and Evan Williams :eek: Another couple came with us. She is an avid hiker and he didn't know the first thing about backpacking. We were a hoot. The other guys pack weighed about 50 pounds. He's a bid guy and very strong but you can believe not only were his feelings hurt'n but his shoulders were too!!! We had a great time and thanks for all the suggestions. Matt said he had a blast and wants to go again this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OJ