PDA

View Full Version : whats a good outer layer windproof/waterproof softshell jacket out there!

Happy44
01-12-2014, 11:39
ive been bumming around sierra trading post and moosejaw, but im not sure on which one to get!

bigcranky
01-12-2014, 11:44
How are you planning to use it? For general outdoor/around town use, almost any of them will be great. For backcountry day use, I prefer a lighter softshell jacket with pit zips. For multi-day backpacking, I find a soft shell is too warm to hike in, and not warm enough for camp, so I go with a UL windshirt and a 100-wt zip fleece combo instead (and a down jacket for camp.) That said, my lovely wife has a Marmot Sharp Point softshell that she won't ever take off in the winter when hiking -- it takes the place of my wind shirt and she's comfortable and happy. I would sweat like a pig inside that jacket.

Happy44
01-12-2014, 11:56
on my 2014 thru hike, sorry

Zippy Morocco
01-12-2014, 12:01
I am pretty sure there are no good waterproof jackets out there:). That being said I used the Zpacks jacket and it was at least light. I also carried a separate Myog windshirt which I used a lot.

bigcranky
01-12-2014, 17:50
Most soft shells aren't really waterproof like a hard shell. They eventually soak through. Which is okay when used as designed -- for very cold weather climbing, or day trips in mild weather. Soft shells that are seam taped and have a waterproof membrane are too warm to hike in for me.

For a thru hike, I'd be prepared for days of rain at a time. For me, the combo of a light merino wool base layer, wind shirt, and hard shell works well. I usually carry a light fleece pullover, too, and that down jacket for camp. Assuming a March start, that's what I would take.

Note that this is just me -- there are lots of good ways to hike.

LIhikers
01-12-2014, 18:00
I use a Marmot Precip jacket for both rain and cold wind.

rjhouser
01-12-2014, 20:25
Made it the whole way with a dri ducks ultralite jacket. Cheap and light. People will tell you they aren't durable but as long as you don't take off through a thicket wearing it it's fine.