PDA

View Full Version : Weight ramblings

Patrick
09-01-2005, 14:11
Packing up last night and wondering about my new hammock weight vs. my old tarp and netting setup. I made a quilt and underquilt to use with my hammock and was starting to get worried that the weight was adding up. Looks good, though.

Old:

Tarp (including eight stakes, bag, and cord) - 28 oz
Drawstring bug shelter (including sack and cord) - 5 oz
Cat's Meow Bag - 48 oz
8 section Z-Rest - 9 oz
2 mil plastic ground cloth - 10 oz
Total - 100 oz (6.3 lbs)

New:

Hennessy ULB (including bag, stakes, and extra cord for the tarp) - 33 oz
Synthetic Quilt (including bag) - 28 oz
Sythetic Underquilt (including bag) - 24 oz
Total - 85 oz (5.3 lbs)

So, I'm impressed. When I got the hammock, I was happy that it was a lightweight shelter, but then started getting nervous as the insulation was adding up. I can't believe it's almost a full pound lighter than my previous setup.

This system also packs up about a million times better. Each quilt is in a stuffsack, the hammock in another, and the fly in another small one for quick setup in the rain. With no pad and no one big sleeping bag, my pack seems enormous. I actually made the stuffsack for my quilt about a third larger than needed so I can leave it more expanded in my pack.

Has anyone tried the Hennessy Light Racer or Adventure Racer? He warns that they're not meant to last for years, but I wonder if that's just him covering his ass. I think the Adventure is a bit too small, but the Light Racer might be okay. It's fantastic that he's charging the same price for the lighter ones. It's hilarious how often less material and less durability equals more money.

neo
09-01-2005, 20:38
Packing up last night and wondering about my new hammock weight vs. my old tarp and netting setup. I made a quilt and underquilt to use with my hammock and was starting to get worried that the weight was adding up. Looks good, though.

Old:

Tarp (including eight stakes, bag, and cord) - 28 oz
Drawstring bug shelter (including sack and cord) - 5 oz
Cat's Meow Bag - 48 oz
8 section Z-Rest - 9 oz
2 mil plastic ground cloth - 10 oz
Total - 100 oz (6.3 lbs)

New:

Hennessy ULB (including bag, stakes, and extra cord for the tarp) - 33 oz
Synthetic Quilt (including bag) - 28 oz
Sythetic Underquilt (including bag) - 24 oz
Total - 85 oz (5.3 lbs)

So, I'm impressed. When I got the hammock, I was happy that it was a lightweight shelter, but then started getting nervous as the insulation was adding up. I can't believe it's almost a full pound lighter than my previous setup.

This system also packs up about a million times better. Each quilt is in a stuffsack, the hammock in another, and the fly in another small one for quick setup in the rain. With no pad and no one big sleeping bag, my pack seems enormous. I actually made the stuffsack for my quilt about a third larger than needed so I can leave it more expanded in my pack.

Has anyone tried the Hennessy Light Racer or Adventure Racer? He warns that they're not meant to last for years, but I wonder if that's just him covering his ass. I think the Adventure is a bit too small, but the Light Racer might be okay. It's fantastic that he's charging the same price for the lighter ones. It's hilarious how often less material and less durability equals more money.

one thing for sure bro,you will be more comfortable,you can hammock camp
were tent and tarp camping will not work,happy hammocking to ya:cool: neo