PDA

View Full Version : Using Credit Cards

Lybarger
01-12-2014, 15:48
Do most hostels and small grocery stores accept credit cards? Do any of them add a surcharge for using the card?

jdc5294
01-12-2014, 16:32
The grocery stores you'll be running into are mostly all big chains, i.e. dollar general, food giant so that won't be a problem. I can't remember ever having a problem buying good with a credit card. Hostels are pretty much the opposite, I don't think I can remember any of them ever accepting anything besides cash. It's been 2 years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ChinMusic
01-12-2014, 16:41
I chose to carry a credit card and a debit card. Several years ago a friend of mine had his card suspended (can't remember why) and he was up a creek til he got a new card. That was my reason for carrying two, as a backup. With the debit card you can easily get cash at places like Walmart, and others. I never used an ATM on my entire thru.

Slo-go'en
01-12-2014, 16:42
Low budget or donation based hostels only take cash. More upscale hostels which are primarly B+B's usually take cards, but cash is still appreciated. Motels you'll want to use a card. Small grocery stores are hit or miss and don't expect cash back from small stores.

HooKooDooKu
01-12-2014, 18:10
Do any of them add a surcharge for using the card?
The Credit card companies (Visa, Master Card, etc) require all of their merchants to sign an agreement that states the merchant can not charge a surcharge for shoppers that pay with a credit card. A merchant found charging a surcharge for credit card use can loose their ability to accept credit cards.

However, that does not prevent merchants from offering 'cash discounts'.

So unless there is a sign saying that listed prices are for "cash" transactions, the merchant shouldn't be charging you extra if you pay with a credit card.

I should have done a cursory check first, for it seems the 'rules' have changed just a little bit. In certain cases, merchants can charge surcharges for CC, but not Debit Cards:
http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/surcharging-faq-by-merchants.pdf

Bags4266
01-12-2014, 18:12
I've been to I few hostels that charge you an extra fee for cc use.

Son Driven
01-12-2014, 18:47
Avoid ATM fees by using debit feature at most grocery stores, and then ask for cash back.

Starchild
01-12-2014, 19:00
Most accepted credit cards with a few notable exceptions. Though cash helps in a few occasions and also is more convenient at times. Do to things like 'Square' (smartphone app that allows anyone to accept credit cards), it seems more and more people are accepting them at the smaller and more personal level.

I do not recall any of them putting a surcharge for CC use, or for that matter offering a cash discount.

ChinMusic
01-12-2014, 19:07
I saw several places that had a CC surcharge on purchases under a certain amount (5 or 10 bucks)

Theosus
01-12-2014, 20:25
Tell your credit card company you will be going on a trip. If you spend most all your time in and around your home state, suddenly making charges somewhere else is a good way for them to temporarily cancel it until they confirm you still have it.
Someone once told me the best way to have your card suspended was to buy two tanks of gas and a fancy pair of sneakers all within a few hours, thats what nefarious people will do when they take your card.