PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hikers and trail maintenance work days

A-Train
09-01-2005, 14:14
From spending a lot of time on the trail this summer, and talking to folks involved in trail conferences and maintainence groups, it's apparent that these groups are in need of younger members, able bodies and willing participants. What better group than thru-hikers right?

I've seen how popular Bob Peoples' ideas have been with the thru-hikers, and how well recieved by the hiker community. Besides Hardcore, Bob often convinces hikers to take a zero (which they most likely will do anyway) and spend a day doing trail work, in exchange for a cool patch and maybe a good meal at the end. This is beneficial to both him and his club and the hikers.

My idea/question/proposal to you all is why haven't others followed in Bob's footsteps? I feel like this program/idea could be used up and down the AT in different areas, if trail clubs, locals and hostel owners were communicating together and making this work.

I've proposed this to my local club, as well as to many folks who attended the ridgerunner re-cap 2 weeks ago. I hope to develop next year, a program simialar to Bob's, where folks staying at the DWG church hostel could be picked up by maintainers and volunteers from NYNJTC to do a work project, and later on would be fed and maybe given a patch for their work. I was suprised to see how many hikers a) took a day off here anyway and b) how many hikers took multipal days off here.

This would hopefully allow the trail clubs to get the able-bodied help they desperately need, and hopefully recruit folks to join trail clubs AFTER their hikes and stay involved to better their own areas and trails. It would be a win-win situation for both parties, and clubs just might get to see more younger folks joining their clubs and helping out in the future.

Bob's got a great thing going, and I know he is in a position that many are not (more time and financial stability) but I don't see why this could not be effective if people were working together. There's no reason why this program should be an isolated event that is not applied to other regions and states. It would take a great deal of effort on many people's part, but I hope that we can make it grow in the future.

Please feel free to give any input about this i.e. thru-hikers willingness to help/get involved, and also to hear from trail maintainers/volunteers about whether you would consider this a worthwhile project and worth the time and effort and money to co-ordinate.

I also believe this idea could be applied to hiker "feeds" and gatherings where a large volume of hikers are together in one area and most likely not doing a whole lot (not hiking).

Thanks

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2005, 14:39
A-Train:

What a good idea!

Keep in mind that while the annual Hardcore project at Kincora is a great example, it's largely due to Bob's very dynamic presence.....he's a VERY difficult guy to say "No" to when he's looking for maintainers and helpers.

However, this doesn't necessarily mean that similar projects can't be done elsewhere, even without Bob, and I think your DWG idea is a very good one.

A few ideas:

1. Work at the outset with the local maintaining club, and let THEM take a
leadership role in the event; it is, after all, their section that'll be getting
worked on. They'll have a good idea of what needs to be done and
where; plus, they'll have a core group of experienced people that will
have tools and know-how, and will be key participants in so far as show-
ing first time Trail maintainers what needs to be done, how to best use
trail tools, how to work safely, etc.

2. The lodging thing is key, and so is food, so make sure you co-ordinate
things with the folks at the church and hostel. Maybe some members of
their congregation might want to help out with dinner, maybe turning it
into a pot luck sort of thing with all sorts of different items available. And
maybe you could get some post-dinner entertainment; they do have a
gazebo and large lawn there, and frequently have live music.

3. Provide transportation to and from DWG; one of the great things Bob does
at the Hardcore event is that he can offer rides to people both before,
and especially after the event, to get them back to where they need to
be on the Trail. Providing rides before and after will GREATLY increase
your turnout for the event.

4. Try and talk to Bob if you can at some point, either this fall or next
Spring. I'll bet he'll have all sorts of good ideas. (He may be at the
ALDHA Gathering in Hanover this October).

5. In terms of timing, the middle of July would probably be best, in so far as
getting the best possible turnout.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

walkin' wally
09-01-2005, 14:55
In the Maine AT Club there does not seem to be very many younger members and what A Train said about new blood is so true.

Bob Peoples may also have an advantage by being located right near the trail. The Maine ATC members are scattered all over the state and a few out of state residents too, I believe. The Maine club holds a meeting once a year and a winter social and that's about it. The rest of the time trail maintainers are finding time to do their sections which are spread across about 260 miles.

I am curious about how many miles in one direction or the other he manages?
It seems he has a very effective system for trail maintenance.

We had a problem this year to get people to work on the Maine Trail Crew maybe because of a communication problem. They do the heavier work in the Maine Club.

Peaks
09-01-2005, 16:40
Thanks A-Train for the good post. Now, after the ALDHA Gathering, there will be the usual work party. Lodging and meals provided by DOC at Ravine Lodge.

The last few years, only about 20 to 25 people have stuck around for the work party. Let's see if we can get the numbers up this fall.

The trail exists because of the dedicated efforts of many many volunteers. Thru-hikers have an especial obligation to give back. The work party is one opportunity for all of us to give back a little for what all those volunteers have done for us.

SGT Rock
09-01-2005, 16:53
I think this idea is outstanding. Hardcore is an excellent model for folks to follow. Imagine if a place like the Hostel near Fontanna could tap into some of those coming through, and then again up north like the hostel in Pearisburg. And I would venture to say that what it would take is just some handshakes and agreements from the hostel maintainer and a local trail maintenance club.

My personal opinion is the more people exposed to trail maintenance, the more will take it up when they are off the trail. I personally love doing it and wish more people could get exposed to it.

Kevin A. Boyce
09-01-2005, 17:00
Over the past couple of years that I have been involved with Bascom's work weekend in July at the RPH Shelter, I have found that there are quite a few thrus that will take a zero day and spend sometime with us helping out on whatever project it is we are working on. In fact this year, two thrus, Krazy Katie and Radio were out in a serious down pour, the rememnants of a hurricane actually, to install waterbars! Talk about really putting their heart and soul into giving back to the trail. We also had three other thrus that took a zero day to work, and over the course of the weekend numerous hikers also took time from their day to spend with us working, cleaning, and overall assisting in our work project. I have found that many folks on the trail are more then willing to stop and help.

Now granted, the enticement of many tasty meals is a factor for some I am sure, but no one grumbled or griped about pitching in a hand or two.

Trying to organize a work party is a headache though, I think we had 20-25 confirmations of folks coming to help that we solicitated, but in reality there were less then 10 that actually showed. We had more hikers taking time from the trail to work then 'outside' volunteers.

Don't get discourged when trying to organize a work party, plan for 10, expect 2... When all is said and done, the sweat and frustration is washed away with a big grin when you look at what good a bunch of folks can do.

Catch you later...
KevBoy

restless
09-01-2005, 21:02
In addition to the AT, there are many other fine trails and trail organizations that need help as well. The Florida Trail, Cumberland Trail, BMT, Pinhoti, Bartram, Colorado Trail just to name a few. Also, check into groups such as American Hiking Society and Sierra Club which sponsor work vacations. The US Forest Service and the NPS likewise have a severe maintenance backlog in their trails and are looking for volunteers constantly. Helping to maintain ANY trail is definitley a rewarding experience and as a result I have made many new friendships.

Lugnut
09-01-2005, 23:55
All very good ideas but if enough people have the same powers of persuasion that Bob Peoples has no one will ever get to Maine! :D