PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy Supershelter low temperature

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2014, 14:56
Hi, I'd appreciate input from other Supershelter users. I'm going out next weekend for three days, two nights, with forecast conditions being overnight lows around 30 degrees, winds 7 to 10 mph, 0 chance of precip. I'm using a Hennessy Hyperlight with stock fly and Supershelter with open cell Hennessy pad and space blanket and a WM Caribou 35 deg bag. Will also have base layer to sleep in and either a Nanopuff or fleece top that could be used to add a little additional under insulation. I'm an "average" sleeper temperature wise. I've been warm in this bag at 30 before, but it was on the ground (Neoair) - I've never been below 45 in the hammock before. Do you think this set up is adequate for the expected temps? If not, recommendations are very welcome. Thanks!

1azarus
01-13-2014, 18:04
i should preface this post by saying i am not a fan of the hennessy foam pad. i have used it to probably around 15 degrees with the space blanket and a 20 degree bag BUT WITH THE ADDITION OF A TORSO LENGTH BLUE FOAM PAD, also with the supershelter undercover. If your neoair is short enough to fit inside, you might consider taking that. I wouldn't camp in a hennessy without a torso pad as backup, or a real down underquilt. The wind exposure with a stock fly could be an issue, too... I do actually like the stock HH fly (well, at least more than the supershelter...) but the wind can be an issue when it is cold. do you have a frogg togg poncho? they make an excellent breathable overcover -- or undercover, with almost no modifications -- check out Jacks r Better. that could help a lot.

Monkeywrench
01-14-2014, 09:56
I used the Hennessey Supershelter (underpad and undercover and space blanket) on my thru-hike. On the colder nights when the temp went to around freezing or a bit below, I added my down jacket to the under insulation. It worked well, though it was sometimes marginal towards morning and I would wake chilled.

P was using a 20 degree down bag in the hammock.

Alpine Bomber
02-09-2014, 11:05
For me, with the super shelter system and a space blanket and a cloudbreak 30 bag, and wearing every piece of clothing I carried, I was comfortable until 28 degrees. I upgraded to a hammock gear zero degree UQ with an REI Igneo 19 bag with 20 degree liner.