PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices influence hiking activities?

Bianchi Veloce
09-01-2005, 14:35
With the sharp increase in gas prices the last few days, will this have an effect on your hiking activities? Will this effect the thru hikers who will be finishing up at Mt. Katahdin as far as cost to return to their homes?

The gas situation in South Carolina has forced my family and I to cancel a Labor Day beach trip to the Charleston, SC, area. If the prices remain high, I will not make it up to the AT as much this Fall, but will stay closer to home on the Foothills Trail with less outings.

In the last 30 hours, at a local gas station in Anderson, SC, regular unleaded gas has gone from $2.43/gal. (Tuesday, 8-30, 5 PM) to $2.99/gal (Wednesday, 8-31, 7 AM) to $3.29/gal. (Wednesday, 8-31, 11 PM).

Footslogger
09-01-2005, 14:51
The higher the gas prices go the more I hike ...

'Slogger

gsingjane
09-01-2005, 15:05
I have to drive between 1-1/2 and 2 hours from my home to access the AT in Connecticut. We were trying to finish up our summer section hike of its length by doing two dayhikes (one of them on Saturday, to look for my son's glasses!) but now I am sort of doubting whether it would be responsible to go. Gas here is comparatively lower than in many areas of the country ($2.89/gal. regular) but I worry about shortages and just the general toll on the family budget of this hobby.

Actually, that is something that has always kinda disturbed me about this sport, the fact that sometimes I really drive for such a long way to walk, not all that far. I guess it's different when I'm going out for several nights, but just for a dayhike, I think I will stay closer to home from now on.

If there were a train or a bus to where I want to go, I would use public transportation in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the railroad line stopped carrying passengers decades ago, and the bus line (Peter Pan) stopped running in 2003. If this goes on too much longer, perhaps some of those decisions will be re-considered.

Jane in CT

MOWGLI
09-01-2005, 15:20
Its a good time to use WB to connect with other hikers to share gas expenses. Even for those weekend trips or long day hikes. Build friendships & save money too. SOunds like a winner.

neo
09-01-2005, 15:42
a greyhound bus ticket is still $69.00 from nashville to dalton mass,i will still do my oct hike:cool: neo

The Solemates
09-01-2005, 16:06
a greyhound bus ticket is still $69.00 from nashville to dalton mass,i will still do my oct hike:cool: neo

how can they still offer this? thats unreal.

the gas prices will not dictate my hiking. i will simply cut back on other things, like eating out or buying a new book, if I have to do so. i will still go hiking at every opportunity.

Kevin A. Boyce
09-01-2005, 16:09
As has MOWGLI16 said, time for some carpooling and ridesharing. I may have missed it, but if not, maybe a ride share forum could be set up if there is enough demand for one.

I know I usually end up driving alone often to go hiking or meeting other hikers, but I would be willing to let some folks ride along if our schedules/trip plans work out.

I plan to do some winter hiking this upcoming season for anyone interested in joining in. I'm in NY not far from the CT/MA/NY border area... I read that one of the farmer's alamanacs is predicting a very snowy winter this year!

Catch you later...
KevBoy

Miss Janet
09-01-2005, 16:22
It will affect shuttle prices.... It has to! For many years I have been able to get by on shuttles by relying on hikers to be generous enough with gas donations... I can't do that anymore! I know that many shuttle providers have charged $1 per mile for years. I don't know if this has changed over the past year and how this huge price increase will affect shuttle rates. I know it now costs me about .45 cents per mile to run shuttles. That is for miles both ways while most people only pay for while they are in your car! And I have to get back home! I almost can't even do shuttles anymore without it being ME who is donating to the hiker!!!

I could use your all's help. What are YOU, the hikers, willing to pay to get shuttles to trailheads or around in town for the services you need?? If I have to set a price and abandon the "gas donation" method, I want to be fair and reasonable. Please give me as much feed back as you can... like, yesterday!!! I have dozens of 25-80 mile shuttles in the next few weeks!!!!!

Miss Janet
09-01-2005, 16:37
Just to add... The cost of doing a shuttle includes, gas, insurance, maintainance and my time at about minimum wage!

The Solemates
09-01-2005, 16:38
It will affect shuttle prices.... It has to! For many years I have been able to get by on shuttles by relying on hikers to be generous enough with gas donations... I can't do that anymore! I know that many shuttle providers have charged $1 per mile for years. I don't know if this has changed over the past year and how this huge price increase will affect shuttle rates. I know it now costs me about .45 cents per mile to run shuttles. That is for miles both ways while most people only pay for while they are in your car! And I have to get back home! I almost can't even do shuttles anymore without it being ME who is donating to the hiker!!!

I could use your all's help. What are YOU, the hikers, willing to pay to get shuttles to trailheads or around in town for the services you need?? If I have to set a price and abandon the "gas donation" method, I want to be fair and reasonable. Please give me as much feed back as you can... like, yesterday!!! I have dozens of 25-80 mile shuttles in the next few weeks!!!!!

If it costs you $0.45 a mile, then doubling it (you getting back home) would be $0.90 per mile. Add in the fact that you are taking time out of your day to do a shuttle, so add another $0.17 per mile (that is a $10/hr wage) and you come to $1.07 per mile. If I were in your shoes, I would have no problem charging $1.25 to $1.50 per mile. Even at this rate, you will still be cheaper than most other shuttlers I believe.

Footslogger
09-01-2005, 16:40
[QUOTE=Miss Janet] What are YOU, the hikers, willing to pay to get shuttles to trailheads or around in town for the services you need??
==============================================
Rather than set a per-person rate I would suggest that there be an overall shuttle "fee" to and from various points based on what it costs the operator. There are always going to be some hikers who can afford more than others. During my thru in 2003 I was fortunate to have saved enough so that I could often shell out my share or more to shuttle operators ...and I would always do so if I could.

My feeling is that no shuttle operator should be losing money to accomodate hikers. Set your fee based on your costs and make it known up front. Let the group of hikers who need the shuttle put their heads together and come up with the money to pay the fee. If everyone contributes what they can the fee (and maybe more) will be assembled by the group.

If I was running a shuttle service that is how I would approach the situation.

Just my $ .02

'Slogger

Miss Janet
09-01-2005, 16:52
If it costs you $0.45 a mile, then doubling it (you getting back home) would be $0.90 per mile. Add in the fact that you are taking time out of your day to do a shuttle, so add another $0.17 per mile (that is a $10/hr wage) and you come to $1.07 per mile. If I were in your shoes, I would have no problem charging $1.25 to $1.50 per mile. Even at this rate, you will still be cheaper than most other shuttlers I believe.

BUT.....

Would you willing and happy to pay $100 to get a shuttle to Damascus from Erwin?

Erwin to Hot Springs $55?

Local shuttles $2 every time you go anywhere in town ?

Most people have been generous with gas donations over the years but they are usually donating about HALF those amounts!

UGH! Time to get a couple of horses and a big ole hay wagon!!

SGT Rock
09-01-2005, 16:55
Keeps me from getting as much running around done as I would like, and that includes hiking and trail maintenance when I am back in Tennessee

Blister
09-01-2005, 17:06
You can be assured that I will be charging Jack 1/2 of my fuel price to get him to Caratunk in the next week. Or should I charge him a flat rate... hhmmm

Patrick
09-01-2005, 17:09
I'm going to Massachussets to hike next week. 900 miles there and back. My car gets at least 30 mpg. That's thirty gallons of gas to get there and back. If gas goes up a dollar, it's thirty bucks extra for my trip. Ooooh.

gsingjane
09-01-2005, 17:24
I think KevBoy's idea of starting a rideshare/carpool thread or BB or category is a terrific one! For several years I have routinely asked if any AMC"ers wanted to share rides to different venues and only once have gotten someone with any interest, but as gas prices go up and and up and up, perhaps the time has come for an idea like this.

I expect or hope to be heading over to the AT in CT or MA at least a few more times before winter and live in the New Haven (shoreline CT) area. I would very much like to carpool with other hikers and hope we can get something like this going on this board!

Jane in CT

Footslogger
09-01-2005, 17:38
[QUOTE=Miss Janet]BUT.....

Would you willing and happy to pay $100 to get a shuttle to Damascus from Erwin?

=============================================
If that's what it costs you to run the service then that's the "GOING RATE".

If you fill the van then the cost goes down proportionately. That would encourage hikers to get together on trips rather than request them onsey/twosey style.

The alternative is a taxi ...and just think what you'd pay for that service !!

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2005, 17:38
Hmmm......looks like I'm walkin'.

Whistler
09-01-2005, 17:50

If you fill the van then the cost goes down proportionately. That would encourage hikers to get together on trips rather than request them onsey/twosey style.
Absolutely right. It hurts to see hostelkeepers running around because hikers are lazy and/or disorganized. Even in Erwin, Food Lion is only a short 10 minute walk from Miss Janet's, same for hardware and drug store. No need for a shuttle. I'd get rid of the short trips unless there were quite a few people that need it. But Miss Janet is a lot nicer than I am :] Maybe set a specific time[s] each night or morning for those too lazy to do their errands by foot?

-Mark

Alligator
09-01-2005, 18:27
Absolutely right. It hurts to see hostelkeepers running around because hikers are lazy and/or disorganized. Even in Erwin, Food Lion is only a short 10 minute walk from Miss Janet's, same for hardware and drug store. No need for a shuttle. I'd get rid of the short trips unless there were quite a few people that need it. But Miss Janet is a lot nicer than I am :] Maybe set a specific time[s] each night or morning for those too lazy to do their errands by foot?

-MarkYes, set a specific time and do one trip a day, maybe if there are enough people.

Miss Janet, $1.50/mile is not unreasonable. I just paid this to a shuttler two weeks ago. It was $30.00 for a 20 mile trip. I had a 100 mile shuttle to do and knew that it would be too much for a shuttler, so I took the 20 mile shuttle to the bus station, Pottsville, NY and rode the bus to DWG. The bus was $27.00.

Alternatively, a sliding scale could be used. Maybe $1.50/mile for trips up to 20 miles, then drop the price a little. Or some similar scale. I like to keep my shuttle costs under $30-$40. Otherwise, it gets to be real expensive.

Changing the subject a little, I stopped twice today to investigate scooters.

Two Speed
09-01-2005, 18:51
BUT.....

Most people have been generous with gas donations over the years but they are usually donating about HALF those amounts!

UGH! Time to get a couple of horses and a big ole hay wagon!!
I think you might be forgetting your costs for replacing the Banana Boat. Someday you're going to need a new van. If I were in your shoes I'd find out what a used extended van is going to cost, figure out how many miles that sucker's gonna be good for and add that cost to your direct costs of fuel, maintenance, insurance and some kind of wage for yourself.

I've been charged $1.00 to $1.50 a mile in the past, before the current price increases for fuel. I'm pretty sure you're going to need at lease $1.50/mile to break even on costs and earn some kind of wage, and that's dependent on no more major increases in gas prices

Doctari
09-01-2005, 19:15
At $3.149 a gallon in Cinti. it has affected all of my "recreational travel" Was going to go to Ren fest this coming sunday, at $19.05 round trip, nope! Was going on an overnight BP trip next weekend, $15.00 (apx) RT, not going to happen. Used to be the trips cost about $10.00 & $6.00 respectivly.

As to paying for a shuttle, I would be willing to pay what it takes. I usually payed $1.00 a mile when gas was only $1.50 a gallon, so would expect at least $2.00 a mile now. This will affect my hiking plans, I will plan more carefully & perhaps hike further each trip so the cost per trip (gas wise) is less per mile hiked.

Side note: gasoline is still cheaper than denatured alcohol, but I'll still use my alcohol stove. However, I now wish my car ran on milk, it's only $2.10 a gallon :)

Doctari.

TickPicker
09-01-2005, 19:47
Still gonna go do the Georgia AT section in a couple of weeks but it will certainly put a damper on any future section hikes. It's too far to drive from south florida.

TickPicker
the land of the dimpled chad

Lone Wolf
09-01-2005, 19:48
I will still only ask .75 per mile.

jimmyjob
09-01-2005, 19:56
today i heard someone equat the current oil prices the late 90's internet bubble burst and this person was predicting that the oil market is going to burst resulting in lower fuel prices...much lower fuel prices.....

i tend to agree with this view point...because after all remember oil and gas is nothing more than a commodity.....

until then lets all conserve and we can pull through this....i am definitly still going on my seven day trip the last week in sept and doing my thru next year....

TOW
09-01-2005, 20:09
a friend sent this to me.....

http://us.f424.mail.yahoo.com/ym/us/ShowLetter?box=Inbox&MsgId=2813_2546377_14751_1619_84539_0_19700_120619 _820278911&bodyPart=2.2.2.2.2.2.2&YY=2952&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&Idx=7

Deerleg
09-01-2005, 21:01
As a section hiker I have used a shuttle almost every trip to the AT and I have relied on Miss Janet, Sly, and many others over the years. Like many on this forum, hiking is my passion, and as hobbies go it is a lot cheaper than many other recreational activities. I will keep reling on them and expect to pay what the service is worth, because I plan on hitting the trail come hell or high gas prices.
OK now to glote for a second; my shortest commute to the trail is over 300 miles and I relie on my diesel powered Jetta that gets over 50 mpg on a blend of home made biodiesel and petral diesel. I had a round trip last year of 850 miles and made it on one tank of 15 gal of fule. :jump

Lugnut
09-02-2005, 00:12

Hey, I have an idea! How about bicycles? Oh, wait a minute, that's been tried. :datz
Just kidding! :banana I figure that if you can make it to Erwin you can make it to Food Lion and the Post Office on foot. Why do town shuttles?

Patrick
09-02-2005, 00:31
At $3.149 a gallon in Cinti. it has affected all of my "recreational travel" Was going to go to Ren fest this coming sunday, at $19.05 round trip, nope! Was going on an overnight BP trip next weekend, $15.00 (apx) RT, not going to happen. Used to be the trips cost about $10.00 & $6.00 respectivly.
This is what I mean. Are you serious? You're going to cancel a trip for nine dollars? I really don't get that.

MOWGLI
09-02-2005, 06:12
This is what I mean. Are you serious? You're going to cancel a trip for nine dollars? I really don't get that.

Not everybody has cash to burn. If you're on a tight budget and your everyday transportation expenses are going up 40-50%, you have to make some choices. That is especially true for those of us who have kids.

Lone Wolf
09-02-2005, 06:24
I go to Cowboys here in Damascus every day. You hear folks bitchin and whinin about gas prices while standing in line with beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets. Last year an Ahole SOBO was sitting at the bar at the Old Mill bitchin about the price of the MRO hostel after his fourth or fifth $3.75 beer and having eaten a $25 dollar meal. Wants and needs. Gas ain't that high.

shades of blue
09-02-2005, 07:17
I wonder how gas prices are affecting those who were able to evacuate before the storm....
These people are living out of their cars, having huge expenses in just living on the road. Gas companies have jacked the prices up in anticipation of shortages (that in itself has caused shortages from a fearful public). There is NO way that the price of gas is a true reflection of what that gas has cost the oil companies. Maybe the retailers are getting it stuck to them also...I have no idea. I understand the laws of supply and demand...but isn't it interesting that prices will skyrocket in preperation of some unknown disaster, or instability, but when Bush finally opens up the strategic oil reserve...not a thing happens to the gas prices.
We will never be free of this until we have alternate forms of energy (that are economical). That is what our energy bill should have been about...not keeping an extra hour until November.

Blue Jay
09-02-2005, 08:05
Gas companies have jacked the prices up in anticipation of shortages (that in itself has caused shortages from a fearful public). There is NO way that the price of gas is a true reflection of what that gas has cost the oil companies.

You got that right. Oil and Gas companies are just rolling in cash. The rest of the country and even the world is helping in this disaster. Damn good thing their CEO is the President. He and their Board of Directors truly should be arrested and tried for treason.

Lone Wolf
09-02-2005, 08:11
I wonder if my Exxon/Mobil stock is up?

papa john
09-02-2005, 08:30
Damn good thing their CEO is the President.
Yeah, damn shame we didn't get Al Gore in 2000. Oh wait. They are in the oil business as well.

Rockjock
09-02-2005, 08:43
I am still going hiking this weekend. Heading to Abrams Creek to finish what I started in July.

On a side note, it seems like everyone freeked with gas @ $3 or more per gallon but really do you think gas was that good of a deal before at $2.50 a gallon? Now I know not everyone has the luxury of living close to work but with a commute of less than 4 miles one way we could hike it or even better bike it. We are a community of hikers. Just wanted to stoke the fire and provide my 0.02

Grateful that I still have a truck to complain about putting gas in!!

Rock

dream
09-02-2005, 09:35
I go to Cowboys here in Damascus every day. You hear folks bitchin and whinin about gas prices while standing in line with beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets. Last year an Ahole SOBO was sitting at the bar at the Old Mill bitchin about the price of the MRO hostel after his fourth or fifth $3.75 beer and having eaten a $25 dollar meal. Wants and needs. Gas ain't that high. No Kidding right! I would pay any amount of money for someone to come pick me up and drop me off at a trail head........any trailhead right about now!

Skyline
09-02-2005, 10:51
The gas price thing won't affect my October hike of the Foothills Trail. Prices have about doubled from what they were this time last year. That equates to about $75 extra the way I figure it. I can make other adjustments to deal with this, 'cause I'm gonna hike.

What it will affect is the day-to-day outside of "vacation" time. I won't be as likely to make three trips per week to the supermarket, going whenever I need something...instead just doing my shopping once per week. Might not go out to eat as much, saving money on gas AND food. Probably won't drive up to SNP as much to dayhike, preferring to combine trips so I'll do more 2-3 day overnights (possibly a good thing, right?).

And I won't be doing shuttles the way I used to, jumping as soon as someone calls for a ride. I'll probably wait until I can combine several trips into one, or charge a fee for the first time in ages (instead of simply asking for gas money if they have it).

I really feel for those who live on a fixed budget so tight already that there just isn't any wiggle room. I hope we can help neighbors like this from time to time by running errands or giving rides when they coincide with our driving anyway.

Icicle
09-02-2005, 11:41
I will be in Millinocket in less than three weeks...anyone know what the gas prices are up there right now? Thx!

Blue Jay
09-02-2005, 11:42
Yeah, damn shame we didn't get Al Gore in 2000. Oh wait. They are in the oil business as well.

Actually it's a damn shame you and the other bozos think that Democrats and Republicans are all you can vote for. If a majority voted for ANYONE else we would be a democracy again instead of slaves.

Blue Jay
09-02-2005, 11:44
I wonder if my Exxon/Mobil stock is up?

Don't worry I'm sure they'll save you a few dollars.

Rowdy Yates
09-02-2005, 11:49
Gas is becoming scarce here in Tennessee and when you can find it, it is very expensive and getting worse.:datz
I agree with MOWGLI, it is time for WB to have a place where ride sharing could be posted. I would like to do the section between US19E North to Damascus but gass prices just will not permit it on my sparce income.:(

Whistler
09-02-2005, 16:50
Actually it's a damn shame you and the other bozos think that Democrats and Republicans are all you can vote for. If a majority voted for ANYONE else we would be a democracy again instead of slaves.Well said.

Oddly, though prices are up, I'm more likely to go hiking now than a couple weeks ago. Can't fight the need for adventure. Prediction: oil and gas prices will nosedive in the near future, a speculative bubble burst like we saw in the tech sector.
-Mark

papa john
09-02-2005, 17:15
Actually it's a damn shame you and the other bozos think that Democrats and Republicans are all you can vote for
Oh. Was that you looking over my shoulder last time I went to vote?

SGT Rock
09-02-2005, 17:58
Gas is becoming scarce here in Tennessee and when you can find it, it is very expensive and getting worse.:datz
I agree with MOWGLI, it is time for WB to have a place where ride sharing could be posted. I would like to do the section between US19E North to Damascus but gass prices just will not permit it on my sparce income.:(
Well I think you could use the Hookin' Up forum: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Jester2000
09-02-2005, 19:16
So THAT'S what the Hookin' Up forum is for. All apologies to anyone offended by anything I said over there.

Patrick -- since you obviously won't miss it, want to send me thirty bucks? Thanks.

I will probably miss the White Blaze event, which I'm pretty upset about, but right now I'm thinking I have to choose between that and the Gathering.

I wasn't out on the trail hiking or doing magic as much as in previous years, mostly having to do with gas prices, and that was before they really went up.

But as some have pointed out, is it really that high? I know how much "petrol" costs in Ireland, but I think it's high mostly because of the fancy name. Here, we don't have artificially low prices, as in China, but neither are we paying $18/gal., which is about how much some people are apparently willing to spend on Frappuchino. The beer I'm drinking right now is more than $10/gal. And it's only Rolling Rock, for god's sake!

But to answer the question, yes, it is curtailing my hiking activities. But apparently not my drinking activities.

smokymtnsteve
09-02-2005, 20:20
so long as U have enough $$$$...U could run ur wheels on golden grain likker,,,,

Icicle
09-03-2005, 12:08
But as some have pointed out, is it really that high? I know how much "petrol" costs in Ireland, but I think it's high mostly because of the fancy name.
Actually *petrol* and *gas* are two separate products. Cars in the UK run on *petrol* and the reason we pay so much is actually TAX to the lovely government.

You can get your car *altered* to run on gas - but it costs about £1,000 to do it. That's roughly $2,000....*gas* is about 35p a litre (might be more now though), whereas *petrol* is currently at .99p a litre.

And *gas* is not readily available here....

Marta
09-03-2005, 12:36
I have been a section-hiker, which is an expensive way to do things, both in time and money. The increase in the cost of gas just makes thru-hiking that much more attractive. 2006 or bust!

B Thrash
09-03-2005, 20:18
Will drive 200 miles next Wednesday to Atlanta, GA. then fly to Bangor, Maine where a friend will pick me up and drive to Monson where we will start north. I have a full tank of gas in my truck, enough to make it to Atlanta but on my return trip home I may have to walk from Atlanta.

Hammock Hanger
09-04-2005, 08:03
This one was too cute not to share...

http://toccionline.kizash.com/films/1001/178/ (http://toccionline.kizash.com/films/1001/178/)

The Scribe
09-05-2005, 13:18
I think it will effect my hiking habits and sort of already has done so. Attroll and I were going to to Monson to KIW this long weekend but the lucky stiff just HAD to a WORLD CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX game on Labor Day. Actually he was there in Aug when it was rained out and rescheduled for today.

I'm jealous.

But I digress.

When he realized the three-day was out, I looked for other opportunities. I even saw there was still room at Madison Springs Hut for Sunday night which developed into a plan to go up from Appalachia and cover Jefferson, Madison, and Adams and a night at the hut. I passed on that considering the fuel (bout 200 miles round trip) and the need and desire to go to Caratunk next weekend. Plus the hut ain't cheap.

In the end, the better half and I camped on the ocean, maybe 15 miles from home. Made beau coup brownie points for that decision.

In the end, however, I bet our reluctance will fade with time and if and when the price drops a dime, we will be planning all kinds of stuff to take advantage of the windfall.

Isn't it interesting that fuel costs can go up like that on the SUGGESTION of damage and shortages. But look at all that water being trucked in. Do the water companies have sooooo much inventory that they can absorb the sudden demand like that? If not, how come water didn't go up a dollar or two a gallon? hmmmmm.

The Scribe.

The Solemates
09-06-2005, 08:11
[QUOTE=Miss Janet]BUT.....

=============================================

The alternative is a taxi ...and just think what you'd pay for that service !!

'Slogger

I agree completely with slogger here ms janet.

tombone
09-06-2005, 10:37
i met a hiker at icewater springs LT last evening who had driven down from Pa. to hike the northern part of the smokies this week. She reported 2.19 gas throughout the I-81 corrider in Va. and finally pumped it for 2.99 in Abingdon. We are still hovering at 3.30 in East Tennessee, but virtually all stations seem to have it at that price. 2 supermarkets dropped it a dime over the weekend.
there were only 2-4 overnighters at icewater last night. reports of full shelter +3 tenters on saturday. leconte shelter usage was light at well-we passed only 4 backpackers on the boulevard trail who i guess were headed there. the brand new register there only had 2 entries for 9/5. the icewater hikers reported passing only one hiker from clingmans down to newfound gap, with the usual dayhike hordes on the AT north of the gap.
so it looks like a great time to head for the woods for some solitude, even in the more popular areas!

badinfluence
09-06-2005, 11:47
Wow, I'm in the same boat as Jane.

I'm in south/central CT (ummm, a little different from LA now, LOL).

The prices really quashed my chances of going this weekend to hike.

I'm hoping I can get out there soon - though a week at Baxter State Park was nice this year.

Jonathan

tombone
09-07-2005, 22:38
whoops-big typo, my BADD...it should have read 3.19 all the way down thru virginia...i hate it when that happens

gass went down to 2.99 from 3.30 in east tennessee once the holiday weekend passed.

papa john
09-08-2005, 08:57
There is a series of websites where you can check on the price of gas in each state. Each state has it's own website. For instance: http://tennesseegasprices.com

You can post the prices that you see in your area. This is a very helpful tool.

Lone Wolf
09-08-2005, 09:11
$2.69 in Damascus this morning.

frieden
09-08-2005, 09:41
Fuel prices and shortages are actually helping my hiking plans for the AT. Things have been so tight here, I had completely thrown out my training schedule, and was just hoping I would be able to survive the thru hike anyway. Prices are almost $4/gallon here, and I just can't afford it. To make matters worse, most of the stations are out of fuel. The public buses have cancelled the route near my house, so I would have to walk 2 miles to the nearest bus stop, in the opposite direction of work. I've started riding my bike. It's only 6 miles, but I'm seriously out of shape, not very good off my feet, and in SUV Land. To navigate all the trash, debris, and broken cement, a mountain bike is a must. The FL heat and rainy season doesn't help, either. However, if I live through it, I'll be in great shape for March!!! My tummy is already flat, and my butt is melting away. Whoohooo!

badinfluence
09-08-2005, 10:09
Yep, been 3.19 here in central CT as well.

Good time for carpooling to the trail for dayhikes and section hikes!!!

Well, not to mention, the obvious environmental impact of carpooling in general.

Jonathan

Tha Wookie
09-08-2005, 10:20
I hope this will mean more support for multi-use and hiking urban-to-rural trails. This is our chance to push the national trail network agenda.... !

The Solemates
09-08-2005, 10:21
Ive seen it as low as $2.99 and as high as $3.39 here. On my way to work this morning, I noticed one of the Exxons had closed this morning because they ran out of fuel and more is not on the way for another couple days. :eek:

Seeker
09-08-2005, 13:28
i must be lucky. but gas here only went from 2.49 to 2.69... one guy, apparently hearing that gas was $3 elsewhere in the country, went up to 2.89 for a day, but since the stations down the street didn't budge, he went back to 2.69 after a day... must be because we're on this side of the damage, and close to the refineries in houston... we've taken in about 1500 evacuees and enrolled 250 kids in our schools, about a 10% rise in our little town's population... yes. i am blessed... katrina went east of here...

to answer the original question, i've made no changes to any camping plans due to the rise in prices...

digger51
09-09-2005, 00:50
On the positive side, maybe the reduction in hikers will allow some of the overused parts of the trail to recover. Something thats been needed in places for a while.

TAMBOURINE
09-09-2005, 05:53
A Ride Forum Would Be Good With The Price Of Gas Lol I Just Bought A 05 Tahoe So You Know How I Feel((( Right Dumb))) About Now :( Well I Am In Va Beach I Will Be Going To Snp On The 23rd And Returning That Sun Anyone That Wants To Join Is Welcome.i Have To Share This My 17 Yr Old Son Spoted It And I Was Could Not Belive It Was Pumping Gas Off Of Shore Drive In Va Beach Look To The Right Of Where I Was Pumping Gas And The Biggest Weed Plant I Ever Saw Was Growing At The Gas Station Between Some Bushes My 17 Yr Old Said Mom Look Not Knowing What To Say I Said That Is Because You Need It When The Gas Hits 85.00 To Fillup .

Freighttrain
09-09-2005, 07:47
LMAO yea instead of a free drinking glass they should give ya a doobie

Moxie00
09-09-2005, 09:33
You can be assured that I will be charging Jack 1/2 of my fuel price to get him to Caratunk in the next week. Or should I charge him a flat rate... hhmmmMake him pay for the gas, then stop at the first bar you come to. Once Jack orders a drink excuse youself to go to the ladies room and take off with your car. Then Jack can walk and he is very very good at walking, wont mind a bit, and your gas will be paid for.:dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :datz

Blue Jay
09-09-2005, 09:57
Make him pay for the gas, then stop at the first bar you come to. Once Jack orders a drink excuse youself to go to the ladies room and take off with your car. Then Jack can walk and he is very very good at walking, wont mind a bit, and your gas will be paid for.:dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :dance :datz

I disagree, it's better to just take him. His stories more than make up for the considerable weight he adds to the car.

Moxie00
09-09-2005, 21:41
I disagree, it's better to just take him. His stories more than make up for the considerable weight he adds to the car.To be honest I agree with you, an evening with Jack can be entertaining. Anyone going to Caratunk might be wise to gas up at the Belgrade exit in Augusta. The Irving and Getty stations were less that $3.00 a gallon. Waterville has the most expensive gas in the area but due to a "price war" in Noridgewolk gas is sometimes cheaper in Skowhegan. I have been hiking in the Bigelow area this week and gas in that area was $3,79 at one country store so the Caratunk area may be in the same boat. My advice is to gas up in Augusta and unless you drive a Hummer like my stupid brother you should be able to get to Caratunk and back on one tank. Don't plan to purchase fuel in any small towns for those going on to Kathadin, alot of small stores couldn't afford to pay for their fuel and some have pumps that don't register over $2,99 a gallon so they have shut down.:banana :dance :sun :welcome To Maine, sorry about the gas prices.

frieden
09-10-2005, 20:04
I've been going through the AT guide, planning my town stops/mail drops, and some of the hiker hostels/motels offer free/included shuttles to and from the trail. Has anyone heard of this being affected by fuel prices? We were warned here to plan for $5/gal. by the end of Oct.

oyvay
09-22-2005, 17:35
Is the price of gas making people change there plans about attending the Gathering? I've been fortunate to live close to work and all, that I've been biking more (and my butt shows it!). Last two times I filled up was Sun before Katrina (just topped @2.56/gal) and yesterday (4.8gals @2.89/gal). Hurricane Rita might force the prices even higher, just have to wait a see after Sat.

stupe
09-22-2005, 23:03
Just hop in the car? Not so fast, says one French town.

By Peter Ford | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

http://csmonitor.com/2005/0923/p01s04-woeu.html

I know I'm taking a chance endorsing the French, but they might have the right idea. London is taking the same route, I hear.
Maybe there's going to be a bright side to rising gas prices. It may make us a better country. It may bring people together to car pool, share shuttles, find alternative ways to get to where we want to go. We could be more like the "greatest generation". They did without, recycled, grew victory gardens, all that.
It would cut down on traffic fatalities, even those due to drunken driving. ( you can ride the train or the bus drunk, just not too drunk I find ). And cleaner air. We would have less cheap crappy plastic goods ( made from oil ) , and more nice wood and metal goods. ( longer lasting, possibly American made, from our own resources ).
Maybe high gas prices will make us focus on creating a network of public transportation by train ( my favorite mode of travel. I can get to the trail by bus for $23 , or $9.70 by train. I admit that the train is NJ Transit, and is heavily subsidized ) and bring back trolley cars. They were quaint, but were cheap efficient transportation, suitable for small towns and large cities. And they were cute. Plus, you can board them and get off them while they are still moving, which makes one look really swashbuckling, I think.
I admit that doing without cars is easier in urban areas than in rural, but isn't it insane to drive two hours just to go to work? Another benefit is that we could stop making the oil companies and Saudi princes and sheiks filthy rich. I won't get into the political implications, but wouldn't we all like that?
My broker says to buy Exxon Mobil Corp, and maybe she's right, see http://marketwatch.nytimes.com/custom/nyt-com/html-analystdetail.asp?symb=XOM. It looks stable to me, but keep your finger on the button. We may be riding bicycles and wearing berets pretty soon.

The Solemates
09-23-2005, 10:43
i wonder what rita, compounded by the recent Katrina, will do to the gas prices.

frieden
09-23-2005, 11:14
Yes, the cost of fuel is the reason for not going to the Gathering for me. :( Prices have dropped here a lot, though. I got fuel yesterday for only $2.71! I'm sure Rita will change all that, though.

Blue Jay
09-23-2005, 18:58
Just hop in the car? Not so fast, says one French town.

By Peter Ford | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

http://csmonitor.com/2005/0923/p01s04-woeu.html

I know I'm taking a chance endorsing the French, but they might have the right idea. My broker says to buy Exxon Mobil Corp, and maybe she's right, see http://marketwatch.nytimes.com/custom/nyt-com/html-analystdetail.asp?symb=XOM. It looks stable to me, but keep your finger on the button. We may be riding bicycles and wearing berets pretty soon.

People forget without the French, we might still be under the Queen and speaking English. Also if you do buy Exxon/Mobil try to get them to pay for that "little" spill they had in Alaska a very long time ago. I think it's about time, now they have a "few" bucks to spare.

stupe
09-23-2005, 20:25
People forget without the French, we might still be under the Queen and speaking English. Also if you do buy Exxon/Mobil try to get them to pay for that "little" spill they had in Alaska a very long time ago. I think it's about time, now they have a "few" bucks to spare.Thanks, fellow francophile. I raise my wine glass to you.

The Scribe
09-26-2005, 07:40
Morning

We were talking (and reading) at work Friday about how Rita will make for $4-5 a gallon gas prices. I had the theory that I wonder if it would. Now that everyone is watching the oil companies after Katrina, would they do it again?

We went camping this weekend and on the 60 mile drive we saw prices from $2.65 to $2.79 or so. We thought, "i wonder what we will see on the drive back."

Guess, what!? They didn't change at all!!! Imagine that. They shut refineries down a couple of days in advance, parts on the area got nailed again, there was all the disruption from N.O. to Galvaston, and yet the prices remained stable.

Even more proof of the profiteering and gouging after Katrina.

Hey L. Wolf? How's your Exxon/Mobil stock doing? :bse :bse :bse

Take care everyone

The Scribe.