PDA

View Full Version : NoBo in April

rattinaround
01-14-2014, 00:39
A buddy and I are heading north around the 1st of April. I've hiked about 10 miles in my life and I think he's probably hiked even less. My main concern for now is appropriate clothing for the first part of the hike while its still cold. I don't want to over pack and have 5 different shirts and 3 pairs of pants taking up all of my room. What is a good setup to start with to make sure I stay warm but don't over do it? Also, what is the best way to keep my pack and its contents dry? Thanks for any help!

4eyedbuzzard
01-14-2014, 00:57
A buddy and I are heading north around the 1st of April. I've hiked about 10 miles in my life and I think he's probably hiked even less. My main concern for now is appropriate clothing for the first part of the hike while its still cold. I don't want to over pack and have 5 different shirts and 3 pairs of pants taking up all of my room. What is a good setup to start with to make sure I stay warm but don't over do it? Also, what is the best way to keep my pack and its contents dry? Thanks for any help!One pair of hiking shorts, one pair long pants - or zip offs to do both, one shirt. One base layer (one long johns one long sleeve top layer). Three pair of wool socks. One more warm upper layer, one combination rain/wind jacket. One wool hat, one pair gloves. Bandana if you like. Rain/wind pants for 1st month maybe. Then send home. Maybe one extra tee shirt and one extra pair underwear bottoms, maybe, but that is it. Reality - you and your clothes will be damp, dirty and stink all the way to Maine. NO COTTON - it doesn't insulate when wet and takes forever to dry. Wool, polypro, polyester, nylon, synthetic fabrics ONLY. Wash socks and undies as needed in gallon ziplock with a few drops of Dr. Bronners soap away from water supply when you're not able to wash them in towns, dry hanging on line and on back of pack (big safety pins). Use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner to keep everything dry. Pack outer cover or pocho, or packa (combination of theses two if you like. Double security for sleeping bag clothes etc by using roll top stuff sacks (3 for $10 at WM or spend more for better quality, better choice of stuff bag sizes at outfitter).

Slo-go'en
01-14-2014, 01:09
You got a lot to learn in a hurry :)

You need at least 5 different shirts, or at least layers for the upper body. But only two layers for the legs :) April/May can be raw or it can be summer like, but mostly raw as in cool and damp. Much like it must be in WV in April and May. You need two primary layers for your top, a dry layer for camp and sleeping and a wet layer for hiking. Never mix them up.

To keep things dry, use something called a "dry sack" (waterproof stuff sack) for the dry clothes, line your pack with a trash bag or trash compartor bag for longer life, and finally many of us use a pack cover as a third layer of protection.

1 long sleeve shirt
1 long steeve thermal top
2 short sleeve wicking top
1 pair thermal bottom (long johns)
1 pair pants
1 warm layer (fleece, wool sweater, down jacket or similer)
1 Rain jacket (unlined shell)

Then of course, socks, gloves, hat, undies, etc.

The Weasel
01-14-2014, 10:25
You will find that, when day temps are 40 or above, as soon as you are hiking for 20 minutes or more (the cardio warmup time) you will be down to a single shirt with, perhaps, a wind shell jacket. When you stop for the night, plan on "wearing" your sleeping back (bottom of the bag over your head, the rest around you like a cloak) until you eat and then climb in. I think the max you need will be (a) base wicking shirt, shortsleeve, (b) longsleeve jersey or shirt (also wicking), (c) wind shell. For gloves, I use wool socks (dirty is better) for mittens. Long johns (bottoms only) are smart too.

sadlowskiadam
01-14-2014, 11:38
Here is a link to the site that I used to prepare for my 2013 thru hike. I had NO hiking experience before getting to Georgia. The clothes and gear recommendations from this site were spot on, and helped me complete the thru hike. All the best,

Counselor

sadlowskiadam
01-14-2014, 11:39
Here is a link to the site that I used to prepare for my 2013 thru hike. I had NO hiking experience before getting to Georgia. The clothes and gear recommendations from this site were spot on, and helped me complete the thru hike. All the best,

Counselor

And I forgot the link:

http://theathiker.com/things-you-need/

WalkingOnTheWind
01-14-2014, 12:03
And I forgot the link:

http://theathiker.com/things-you-need/

Thanks for that link. I feel a lot better about my clothing choices now.

Brently
01-14-2014, 13:21
go with smart-wool/merino wool. It doesn't hold on to your stank like synthetics do. See ya there, we're starting the same day

fredmugs
01-14-2014, 20:50
Get some Darn Tough socks. Wool socks will make your feet sweat like crazy. Plus they have a lifetime guarantee.

rattinaround
01-15-2014, 01:10
Thanks for all the input guys. It can be a little overwhelming trying to make sure I have the right stuff, but im really looking forward to this challenge and adventure.

rattinaround
01-15-2014, 01:16

Counselor

What was your hike like having no prior experience? More difficult than anticipated? More fun? easier? Im anticipating it to be quite the learning curve to start with but I think that will be half of the adventure. Im quitting my job and selling my truck to make this hike so im pretty determined to finish at all cost.

moldy
01-15-2014, 10:09
I can see that you have too much clothing. You don't know it yet, and all this advice is not much of a help. The good thing here is that you will figure it out in the first week on the trail and for a few bucks you can mail all the extra home in a box.

lonehiker
01-15-2014, 10:17
In your initial post you don't state whether you own any "hiking" type clothing yet. But, if you do, or once you buy what has been recommended, I would suggest doing day hikes with that clothing to see how it works. Will also give you some conditioning for your upcoming trip. Likewise once you have your gear do a couple 2-3 day trips. Good chance you will run into other hikers and perhaps get a chance to talk gear. Keep in mind that most everyone thinks that their gear choices are the best, and they are right, but maybe not for you. Take it all in and then make your own decisions.

lonehiker
01-15-2014, 10:20
I can see that you have too much clothing. You don't know it yet, and all this advice is not much of a help. The good thing here is that you will figure it out in the first week on the trail and for a few bucks you can mail all the extra home in a box.

How can you see this? The poster hasn't listed anything.

ULterEgo
01-15-2014, 11:50
A buddy and I are heading north around the 1st of April. I've hiked about 10 miles in my life and I think he's probably hiked even less. My main concern for now is appropriate clothing for the first part of the hike while its still cold. I don't want to over pack and have 5 different shirts and 3 pairs of pants taking up all of my room. What is a good setup to start with to make sure I stay warm but don't over do it? Also, what is the best way to keep my pack and its contents dry? Thanks for any help!

Have clothes to hike in (pants, shirt, windshirt or light jacket) and clothes for camp/sleep (base layers, puffy layer/fleece). No need for 5 shirts and 3 pairs of pants, IMO. A large trash compactor bag in your pack is an easy way to keep your sleeping and wearing insulation dry.

moldy
01-15-2014, 15:39
How can you see this? The poster hasn't listed anything.
We pack, or overpack, to our worries. By asking the question the way he did, I think he will be showing up on the trail for a thru-hike with excess cclothing. I could be totally wrong.

snail2010
01-15-2014, 17:58
Generally speaking you will need two sets of clothes. One for hiking and a dry set for sleeping. I get cold easily so I carry two sets of base layer (one for sleeping, one for hiking chilly days). I also carry two t shirts and shorts, two pair hiking socks, one pair sleeping socks, one set underthings, a rain jacket, down jacket, warm hat (it's amazing the difference a hat makes) baseball cap, gloves and fleece pants. You can always send extra home or up the trail but if you bring too few clothes you'll be suffering. Most importantly keep your dry clothes dry! If your hiking clothes get soaked,you still get up and put those cold wet clothes on to hike. (If it's super cold and your stuff gets wet get to town or a hostel and dry out).

rattinaround
01-15-2014, 21:36
Yea I don't really have anything Yet. I have an UnderArmour long sleeve shirt I use for skiing that it looks like I can probably use for a base layer for upper body. Ive got plenty of light gym shorts I can wear for warmer weather, and running shoes I plan to start the trail with. This forum has given me some options of what to start with though and that's what I nee...... Another question, probably really dumb... when you guy say to use a trash bag to line my pack, what exactly do you mean? It would seem to me If I lined my pack and then put my things in the pack they would still be subjected to possible moisture? I feel silly for asking that, but hey, im an absolute greenhorn here, help me out.

snail2010
01-18-2014, 21:18
Yea I don't really have anything Yet. I have an UnderArmour long sleeve shirt I use for skiing that it looks like I can probably use for a base layer for upper body. Ive got plenty of light gym shorts I can wear for warmer weather, and running shoes I plan to start the trail with. This forum has given me some options of what to start with though and that's what I nee...... Another question, probably really dumb... when you guy say to use a trash bag to line my pack, what exactly do you mean? It would seem to me If I lined my pack and then put my things in the pack they would still be subjected to possible moisture? I feel silly for asking that, but hey, im an absolute greenhorn here, help me out.

Its best to line your pack with a heavy duty contractor bag. You line it just like a trash can, open the main compartment of your pack , open the bag and place it inside the pack then put all the things you need to stay dry in the bag. You can trim the top of the bag if it's really long but leave enough to twist shut. I usually keep my clothes in a waterproof stuff sack inside the contractor bag, and put an additional regular trash bag around my sleeping bag.