PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Camp Trails Yukon Backpack

DaveU54
01-14-2014, 14:30
I don't hold out much hope for this but I'm in the market for a vintage Camp Trails Yukon external frame backpack. The one I own is ~40 years old. It's a HUGE pack & I love it but it's worn out. I'm beginning to think I own the only one ever made.
Would appreciate any help.

aficion
01-14-2014, 15:06
I don't hold out much hope for this but I'm in the market for a vintage Camp Trails Yukon external frame backpack. The one I own is ~40 years old. It's a HUGE pack & I love it but it's worn out. I'm beginning to think I own the only one ever made.
Would appreciate any help.

My Camp Trails Ponderosa is still going strong. I use it to carry an inflatable kayak back up the river a few miles pretty regularly. Wish I could help you in your search. We got our money's worth anyway.

perrymk
01-14-2014, 15:11
Are you sure it was a Camp Trails Yukon? A quick search of ebay and geartrade.com show several Camp Trails models, but the only ones called Yukon were by Kelty. They all look like similar frames on the photos, but that can be deceiving.

I have three old Camp Trails external frame backpacks and would be hard pressed to part with any of them.

Good luck!

gsingjane
01-14-2014, 19:39
Maybe try your local Boy Scout troop. A lot of them have gear closets that aren't updated super-often (or at all)...

DaveU54
01-15-2014, 19:58
Thanks to all for your efforts. BTW perrymk, this pack predates the Kelty Yukon. This thing goes back to late 60's early 70's. Dick Kelty was making only one "Kelty Pack" in those days, I think. I guess I'll just have to find another HUGE pack that suits my fancy. Also been looking for serviceable Vasque Hiker IIs in neighborhood of 10D. Found some possibilities. Anyone?
Never was an ultralight guy! Thanks again!

4eyedbuzzard
01-15-2014, 20:21
I have an old Camp Trails Horizon pack from the late 60's, early 70's. Large or extra large size - it's at my house in NH, and I'm in TX right now. Needs some new padding as it has become brittle (shoulder and hip belt), and the urethane has degraded in some spots on the nylon. It's blaze orange. If interested I'll try to get a picture emailed to me and forward it.

Looks like this one
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTQ1M1gxMDYx/z/LwwAAMXQztxSL79a/$T2eC16hHJIcFHNm3sIumBSL79ZvoPg%7E%7E60_57.JPG

You could also try this person's ebay store, they seem to have a lot of old gear including the one above http://stores.ebay.com/Tonalites-Place?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

DaveU54
01-19-2014, 14:25
Thanks buzzard but I'll keep looking. I will check out that link tho'. Thanks again.

Toolshed
01-21-2014, 08:53
I finally had to get rid of part of my Camp Trails "Lake Cruiser" backpack. The frame is still great, but the bag had deteriorated so badly over 40+ years thatI had to detach and throw out.

01-21-2014, 18:03
I have a First Lead mountain technology, the first lead is like a heavy duty frame like you would use to carry out a moose head, elk. For packing out larger heavy items. 38" long and 14.5 wide frame, the waist belt and shoulder straps have hardened. ARe you going to bears den northern ruck? One First is $10. Better belts and shoulder straps are easily available on ebay.