PDA

View Full Version : Damascus North 100 miles

Andrewsobo
01-14-2014, 18:28
So I'd like to start in Damascus and head north for 100 miles in early February. I've done Springer to Damascus so I'm picking up where I left off for about 10 days. Anyone have any recommendations on where I should get off around there? I'm thinking i'm going to leave my car at mount roger's outfitters, I was thinking about maybe trying to bike back to it (although i've since realized that my bike probably won't make it in the snow/ice conditions on the mountain roads). I don't know anything about the roads, I have a BOB trailer to carry my pack though and I would ideally leave my bike/trailer somewhere then hike to it, and then bike back to damascus. If this is a terrible idea given expected conditions i will just pay for a shuttle.

StovieWander
01-14-2014, 20:06
If you go about 100 miles, you wind up near Chestnut Knob shelter and a steep loose-surfaced road leading down into Burkes Garden "God's Thumbprint". Once there, your best bet for resupply or a shuttle is a trail angel or divine intervention. I was very blessed when I went through there, but that was 2012. If you stop short at Partnership shelter (about 70 miles), you can ride an inexpensive bus to Marion, which has Greyhound bus service. Partnership shelter is at the edge of Mount Roger's NRA HQ, which allows free parking for hikers who fill out their forms. If you go 120 some miles, you cross I-77. You might be able to get a ride to Wytheville, and another to Damascus. Wytheville is another Greyhound stop. Please verify my dated "facts". My worst night on the trail was in February in Rice Field shelter just north of Pearisburg, VA, with 15*F temperatures, a strong wind, and ice crystals on my sleeping bag.

Slo-go'en
01-14-2014, 20:39
What's with all these people from Florida wanting to do winter hikes? <retorical question>

If you hiked to Bland ~ 120 miles, it looks like it is only about 70 miles back to Damascus by road. SR 42 and SR 91.That would be a long day by bike, but I suppose it could be done. If you can pump out 20 mph, thats only a bit over 3 hours of peddling.

excuses
01-14-2014, 23:10
not exactly the distance you want but you can get a shuttle from Damascus to Atkins and hike back to you car. That is about 75 miles.

bigcranky
01-15-2014, 12:27
You could also get a shuttle to Bland and hike back to your car; about 120 miles. These would be not too expensive, I think, though of course that varies for people.

Andrewsobo
01-15-2014, 17:52
What's with all these people from Florida wanting to do winter hikes? <retorical question>

If you hiked to Bland ~ 120 miles, it looks like it is only about 70 miles back to Damascus by road. SR 42 and SR 91.That would be a long day by bike, but I suppose it could be done. If you can pump out 20 mph, thats only a bit over 3 hours of peddling.

moving to nevada in a few weeks. have to get ready for the cold weather. i've done a two night trip in new york in december, lows in the teens and highs in the low 30s. it wasn't that bad. i've got decent enough gear. just not sure about snow loading on my tarptent moment, so i might bring along another tarp to string up over the top.

also thanks for all the info guys. biking would be ideal, as i'm on a very tight budget and like to be self-sufficient if possible.

bigcranky
01-16-2014, 13:32
I've had my Moment out in snow and very high winds, handled both like a champ. I did wake up every once in a while and knock snow off (I don't have the crossing pole, which would probably hold the fabric up high enough to avoid this accumulation.)

Andrewsobo
01-19-2014, 17:34
I've had my Moment out in snow and very high winds, handled both like a champ. I did wake up every once in a while and knock snow off (I don't have the crossing pole, which would probably hold the fabric up high enough to avoid this accumulation.) Good to know. Just got in my possumdown gloves and eVent rain mitts, so i'm ready to go and excited.

Almost There
01-19-2014, 18:32
I'd suggest Bland...the roads in and out of Burkes Garden are sketchy in good weather...in bad weather forget about it. You also should have no issues getting rides in and out of Bland. Although if it doesn't matter then as Big Cranky says go SOBO back to Damascus, those fifty miles just north of Damascus are nice hiking SOBO.

Andrewsobo
01-19-2014, 18:53
You could also get a shuttle to Bland and hike back to your car; about 120 miles. These would be not too expensive, I think, though of course that varies for people.

Any specific shuttle suggestions?

Andrewsobo
01-19-2014, 18:58

Great suggestion, I actually think I'm going to try and bike it though. Used google street maps and the roads look very safe to bike on between damascus and bland. So i'm going to park my car at mt rogers outfitters in damascus, hike to bland, then ride back to damascus. 68 miles by bike, and about 120 by trail.

bigcranky
01-19-2014, 20:34
Hmm, Google Maps says for biking you should take Rt 42 to 91. Looks reasonable to me.