PDA

View Full Version : Compass?

skinnbones
01-14-2014, 19:47
Did any Appalachian Trail hiker actually carry a compass with them?

Sarcasm the elf
01-14-2014, 19:50
Most of us that know how to read a map carry one.

Duramax22
01-14-2014, 20:00
i carry one mostly just for coordinating with map to pick out surrounding peaks when taking a break or in the evening, but i could use it to navigate also

4eyedbuzzard
01-14-2014, 20:12
I always carry a very small one - about the size of a nickle, weighs 5 grams. And a map of where I'm hiking.

aficion
01-14-2014, 20:14
A map or list of trail name changes through the Whites is all you need. The rest of the trail has white blazes. Compasses are fun for bushwhacks and helpful if you get lost and have a map of the area you are lost in.

Two Speed
01-14-2014, 20:19
Did any Appalachian Trail hiker actually carry a compass with them?Since Earl Shaffer hiked the trail in 1948? Yeah, I imagine one or two might have.

StovieWander
01-14-2014, 20:23
I always carry a compass and watch on the AT, but seldom any map. My watch is essential for estimating my position, in combination with AWOL's guide, which has the elevation profile and landmark descriptions. The compass is indispensable when someone gives me bad directions back to the trail.

MuddyWaters
01-14-2014, 20:32
Small compass on the watchstrap
A compass is a lot less usefull in the trees, than out in the open with landmarks visible.

fredmugs
01-14-2014, 20:42
Small compass on the watchstrap
A compass is a lot less usefull in the trees, than out in the open with landmarks visible.

What????????????

aficion
01-14-2014, 20:47
What????????????

LOl !

HighLiner
01-14-2014, 20:50
My I-phone has one, so I guess I can say it doesn't weigh anything!

Coffee
01-14-2014, 20:51
i carry one mostly just for coordinating with map to pick out surrounding peaks when taking a break or in the evening, but i could use it to navigate also
That's my primary use of map and compass as well. I like looking around and identifying landmarks. I've never been remotely lost on the AT but at one ounce, a compass isn't a big burden to carry.

4shot
01-14-2014, 20:54
I had compass, appropriate map, and a watch at all times. I liked them and found them to be helpful (on occasion). Most don't.

aficion
01-14-2014, 20:55
A human that cannot find north without a compass, in the Eastern U S mountains, can still hike the AT, even though it cannot distinguish a burro from a burrow.

ChinMusic
01-14-2014, 20:56
My iPhone has a compass as well as my ABC watch (Suunto Core). I rarely needed to ever look at it. There was a few occasions where I feared I had gotten turned around and was heading the wrong way.

MuddyWaters
01-14-2014, 21:02
What????????????

If you can see landmarks, and shoot bearings, a baseplate compass can show you precisely where you ARE on a map.

In the woods, a compass will not tell you where you ARE, because you cant see anything most of the time, and on much of the AT the surrounding hills and ridges are unremarkable anyway.
It is reduced to a tool that shows you directions. To make use of it, you need to already have a fairly good idea of where you are on a map.

Meriadoc
01-14-2014, 21:25
Simple compass with a baseplate - yes. Most often I used it to determine if I was going to be able to see a sunrise :). I would bring it again. It can be a valuable tool. Chances are good that it won't be needed. I know how to use it and like to have it.

ChinMusic
01-14-2014, 21:30
Simple compass with a baseplate - yes. Most often I used it to determine if I was going to be able to see a sunrise :). I would bring it again. It can be a valuable tool. Chances are good that it won't be needed. I know how to use it and like to have it.

An app on my iPhone will tell me exactly where the sun will rise/set for any time of the year. I often set up my tent accordingly.

Del Q
01-14-2014, 21:37
Nope, once I leave home and get on the trail I care less about what direction I am headed in.

At any moment in time you could be going in any of the 4 directions and stiil going NOBO or SOBO

fiddlehead
01-14-2014, 22:05
If nothing else, carry a small one to tell which way to go in the morning when you break camp.
Especially in CO where it's OK to get baked before starting the days walk.

jimmyjam
01-14-2014, 22:25
I carry a small button compass. Sometimes I find it handy to orient myself in a new town.

CarlZ993
01-14-2014, 23:43
I carried a small protractor compass (lightest one I could find; 0.8 oz). Never used it on the entire hike. Carried some maps at the beginning. Sent them home. Bought a map of the Whites when I got near there. Glad I did. I found the multiple name changes of the AT trail confusing. I'd refer to the map at each jct. Didn't need the compass to figure the correct trail.

Personally, I don't ever go in the backcountry w/o a compass. An electronic version (watch, smart phone, etc) can quit on you. Your compass should hold up for multiple long hikes.

moytoy
01-15-2014, 05:07
I carry one now because I have always carried one. I could easily do without it but I won't. In fact I just got a new one. The old one was scratched and nicked up to the point it was hard to read.

magneto
01-15-2014, 10:15
If you can see landmarks, and shoot bearings, a baseplate compass can show you precisely where you ARE on a map.

In the woods, a compass will not tell you where you ARE, because you cant see anything most of the time, and on much of the AT the surrounding hills and ridges are unremarkable anyway.
It is reduced to a tool that shows you directions. To make use of it, you need to already have a fairly good idea of where you are on a map.

If you know how to use them, a topographical map, compass and barometric altimeter can be used to fix a position as accurately as a GPS, with no satellites required, without being able to see very far head.

Have you ever been caught above treeline, in the fog? Map, compass and altimeter can save your life. That 100 feet of line you are supposed to carry can be strung out from one cairn while you search for the next one. Use a slip knot and when you find the next cairn, just give the line a good tug. Repeat until you find our way out.

From a search and rescue perspective, it could be considered careless and reckless to head out without these simple items.

Starchild
01-15-2014, 10:58
I had one, it disappeared about the same time as my Springer rock disappeared. Used the iPhone (mainly GPS but the compass as well) + sun position from then on to Katahdin.

The thing about using a compass on a AT thru, since you are not carrying maps, just the guide book it is far less useful then on other hikes.

Undershaft
01-15-2014, 11:08
I always carry a compass and maps when hiking on the AT. To date, I've never had to use them together for navigation. I'm pretty good at reading maps and elevation profiles which makes it easy to keep track of where I am. I have used a compass in the same way as some previous posters, to find out where the sun will rise, and with a map to figure out exactly which mountains I'm looking at from a summit. I've used my compass to figure out what direction I'm oriented as I look at the radar on my phone and then look up to see the storms on the horizon to figure out if they will hit me or pass me. That sums up my compass use on the AT. I have gotten on the wrong trail or gone the wrong way on the AT by mistake(read: not paying attention to what I'm doing) but I've never gone more than 1/4 - 1/2 a mile before realizing my error. The AT is pretty easy to follow and if you can tell the difference between walking uphill and downhill then you can keep track of where you are by using the elevation profiles on the map and in the guidebooks. I'm glad I have my compass even if I don't need it. It's an ounce of weight so there really is no penalty for carrying it. I treat it like a piece of emergency gear most of the time, like the space blanket I've carried for 12 years and never used.

colorado_rob
01-15-2014, 11:14
Simple compass with a baseplate - yes. Most often I used it to determine if I was going to be able to see a sunrise :). I would bring it again. It can be a valuable tool. Chances are good that it won't be needed. I know how to use it and like to have it. Yep, this. Mine is 0.9 ounces, Y-not. Cell phone has map/compass/gps, but nice to have a little backup.

skinnbones
01-15-2014, 12:21
Thanks to all for the extra knowledge.

snail2010
01-15-2014, 18:03
I'm sure folks have. You don't need one though.

swjohnsey
01-15-2014, 18:32
I know how to read a map and I didn't carry one.

rusty bumper
01-16-2014, 10:03
I carry one that's about the same diameter as a dime. I've used it a couple of times for orienting my tent during setup.

magic_game03
01-16-2014, 10:17
Never used trail maps or compass on any of my AT thru's. An altimeter and a data book is so much more useful. On the PCT and CDT maps are an absolute must (plus altimeter and compass helps).

Dogwood
01-16-2014, 19:16
Did any Appalachian Trail hiker actually carry a compass with them?

Yes, I wore a Sunnto Vector w/ compass and altitude features. Had my own maps less than 1/2 the thru-hike which IMO weren't critical to 3 season AT thru-hiking. Didn't use either extensively out of necessity though during typical thru-hiking season(Mar-Oct). I used those features mainly to practice navigation on an easy to find well blazed rather hard to get lost hike in prep for what I knew I'd be doing in the future. A watch helps with trail logistics in several potentially important ways.

Papa D
01-16-2014, 21:08
i use a compass with maps fairly frequently and love having one but do not think you need one on the AT - - it's really so very straightforward - - I've been a little turned around on the AT and missed the trail in a lot of snow but even then a short backtrack solves the problem.

RockDoc
01-16-2014, 22:00
This is the most intelligent response, from my perspective as a geologist with 35 yrs experience. When you are lost you want to be able to plot your location on your map. The compass and altimeter help to limit the possibilities of your location. This can be as simple as measuring the strike of a trail or road, and finding unique areas where this strike corresponds with your altitude. I've used this method to pinpoint my location in even stands of tall trees, where otherwise you would wander lost for miles...

Of course the map, compass, and altimeter are only useful if you know how to use them. I would add that it's useful to have a see-thru protractor and a sharp pencil to plot bearings on your paper map.

Forget battery powered gadgets. Ask rescue personnel about all the lost people who relied on gadgets that didn't work when needed. This is an intelligence test!

If you know how to use them, a topographical map, compass and barometric altimeter can be used to fix a position as accurately as a GPS, with no satellites required, without being able to see very far head.

Have you ever been caught above treeline, in the fog? Map, compass and altimeter can save your life. That 100 feet of line you are supposed to carry can be strung out from one cairn while you search for the next one. Use a slip knot and when you find the next cairn, just give the line a good tug. Repeat until you find our way out.

From a search and rescue perspective, it could be considered careless and reckless to head out without these simple items.

SunnyWalker
01-17-2014, 00:05
I carried one on the AT. Never used it. Never needed to. Blazes! I should have used it! What the blazes is wrong with me!

Foresight
01-17-2014, 00:06
I'm a surveyor.....yes I keep a map and a compass with me. Always.

I carried one on the AT. Never used it. Never needed to. Blazes! I should have used it! What the blazes is wrong with me!

Did you carry basic first aid supplies with you? A compass is no different.

Dogwood
01-17-2014, 02:44

Sounds reasonable and it can be good advice but go ahead and try the compass, map, and altimeter way to navigate in a featureless flat limited visibility navigational situation for many miles on a trek and you'll start grasping how useful GPS can be! I'm not a big GPS guy myself but I certainly have learned to appreciate it's uses on non AT type remote flat desert or flat Arctic hiking conditions. It's not always that easy getting all the paper maps for extremely long hikes at a scale that is most desirable for map/compass navigation requiring greater navigational accuracy. Sometimes, being off route(and I am mainly referring to routes not well signed super hiking highways in largely front country environs like the AT) a short distance can be critical on some treks. It makes sense understanding the times when either/or OR BOTH should be used.

I like the string idea from cairn to cairn in limited visibility situations but that's going to have limited use IMO. 100 ft would rarely be enough length for one example. Sometimes, in real limited visibility situations it might just make more sense to stop where you are rather than continuing into White Outs, heavy fog, sandstorms, etc.

Overall though I like your principle of being prepared. That's obviously excellent advice. It meshes nicely with the situation those 3 people who were rescued in GSMNP.

4shot
01-17-2014, 10:12
i use a compass with maps fairly frequently and love having one but do not think you need one on the AT - - it's really so very straightforward - - I've been a little turned around on the AT and missed the trail in a lot of snow but even then a short backtrack solves the problem.

I was never 'lost" but have missed a blaze and found myself on a trail but not the AT. Map and compass got me back on the AT without backtracking.

One time this happened was in Va. I was trying to get to a resupply or hostel at the road in Troutsville(?) Troutsdale(?) Troutsburg (?). AWOL's guidebook said go east and I did (by compass). Only after walking a couple of hours and not seeing any signs of civilization did I look at the fine print - the assumption that East is always to the right for a NOBO (duh!). Was able to road walk the remainder of the day (not fun) and reconnected to the AT at the Partnership shelter. So the compass (or lack of reading skills) got me in trouble but it and a map got me back to the AT without a backtrack.

Damn Yankee
01-18-2014, 10:16
I normally have two. My watch has one and the second is for confirmation