PDA

View Full Version : Dickey Gap to Damascus

Treton
01-15-2014, 00:53
Hey everybody, So I am planning a short trip from Dickey Gap South to Damascus with my girlfriend. I have taken her on an over night in Cow Camp Gap and over Cold Mountain so far and she loved it! So this will be her second trip out and she wanted to make it longer. I got her an Osprey pack for Christmas and so this will be her first trip with much weight. That being said I dont want to overbid us on our daily miles. So my question is this, Do you think at ~10 miles a day we can be comfortable with the hike but not have so much extra time we will get bored? By the way, she is very fond of ponies...

HikerMom58
01-15-2014, 09:46
Hey everybody, So I am planning a short trip from Dickey Gap South to Damascus with my girlfriend. I have taken her on an over night in Cow Camp Gap and over Cold Mountain so far and she loved it! So this will be her second trip out and she wanted to make it longer. I got her an Osprey pack for Christmas and so this will be her first trip with much weight. That being said I dont want to overbid us on our daily miles. So my question is this, Do you think at ~10 miles a day we can be comfortable with the hike but not have so much extra time we will get bored? By the way, she is very fond of ponies...

Yes, go for it! 10 miles isn't so bad... take lots of breaks. Make sure (considering the amount of weight in her pack) she has proper footwear. How much weight do you think she will be carrying?

saltysack
01-15-2014, 10:33
I hiked from 603 south to Damascus back in November with my dog. So far the best section I've hiked. Bring food for ponies. I did the 40 miles in just over 2 days but could have got by with 10....lots of scenery to check out. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

bigcranky
01-15-2014, 12:43
Yes, this is a wonderful section. My favorite. This is about 50 miles. I'd break it up like this:

Day 1: Dickey Gap to Old Orchard Shelter. This is 11 miles or so. There is some nice camping out in front of the shelter, with great views. It won't be too long a day, though there will be a long climb over Iron Mountain (stop at Hurricane Shelter for lunch.) Good water in both places.

Day 2: Old Orchard to Thomas Knob. You can't camp near the shelter, but there are a lot of excellent campsites between Rhodendron Gap and TK Shelter. This is where you are most likely to see and camp with wild horses. (I can give you some specific places if you like.)

Day 3: TKS to Lost Mountain. This is a longish day, 13 miles, but the only significant climb up Whitetop is well graded. Beautiful views in many places along the way.

Day 4: Lost Mountain to Saunders Shelter (short day) or to Whitetop Laurel Creek (a little longer but worth it.) Several campsites along the creek. Not sure if the Creeper Trail Cafe is open in February, but it's worth a call to find out -- it's about a half mile from where the AT comes down to the Creeper Trail and makes a nice lunch or dinner.

Day 5: Campsite to Damascus. (If you want a really long day 4, you can hike the 17 miles from Lost Mtn to Damascus, especially if you stick to the Creeper Trail after the Hassinger Bridge. I've done this in the winter, and it's not a bad day.)

Of course if you get a late start due to driving and shuttling, this schedule sort of goes out the window....

When are you planning to do this? Late April or early May would be perfect weather.

Have a great hike.

Treton
01-15-2014, 16:29
Ken you pretty much quoted my whole plan! I love confirmation, thanks! And thanks everyone else for the good words too! The only other thing we are probably going to do is stay at the hikers inn in Damascus before heading home I think this happening in March during her spring break, should we dress warm? I suspect we can haul a couple apples for the ponies!

bigcranky
01-16-2014, 13:36
Um, yeah, in March you might want to dress warmly :) It's still winter in the High Country, and I've been up there even into April and had bad winter storms come through. Like anywhere in the Southern Appalachians in March, you can have any weather from 60 and sunny to single digits to white out blizzards to 35 and pouring rain. (That last one is the worst.) I'd probably expect 50 during the day and 30 at night, but I'd be prepared for any and all of that in the same week.

Bring lots of hot drinks for camp along with those apples.

It's really a lovely section of the AT and I hope you both enjoy it as much as I do.