PDA

View Full Version : Clothing for a May 21st Start

Deacon
01-15-2014, 07:44
I've decided to do a long Springer to Damascus section hike this spring, starting on May 21. I would like to minimize clothing where possible and just take summer clothes.

However I realize late May is still spring and am wondering what I could run into that time of year.

Last summer on the LT, I just wore nylon shorts and a micro weight wool tee. The only other clothing I carried was a Zpacks rain jacket and a lightweight pullover fleece, and that's it.

Would I need more than this for a May start?

daddytwosticks
01-15-2014, 08:09
Last year at Siler's Bald Shelter we had frost during my Memorial Day weekend hike. It warmed up nicely throughout the day. I'd bring some thin insulation, like a 100 wt fleece and a warm hat as a minimum. What you took on the LT should be OK. I'm sure you have some warm bedding to dive into while hanging around camp. :)

Deacon
01-18-2014, 00:19
Ok, so with the lack of response I'm guessing that late May is comfortably hikeable (is that a word?) in summer clothes.

Starting a 468 mile section at Springer to Damascus on May 21st

HighLiner
01-18-2014, 08:38
As a section hiker I have hiked much in that time frame. Shorts and Tee shirt during the day but always have a hat and jacket for evenings, particularly in high Smokey elevations. It gets hot; you will sweat a lot.